Pickin Fights With Other Sites! Scribblehub Banzai! <(`^´)>

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
I've picked up the pen and drawn my battle lines for the glory of Scribblehub. Currently looking for more to join the army or provide useful information (for fun).

Motivation: I have sorta ingrained myself more and more in this website as of late. Now I really like the site design, it's free, community is good, advertisement is great+free, and the stories are my style. My loyalties lie with Scribblehub now and I was wondering about the competition/enemies.

Wondering how the battle goes,
against the many foes.
Dire straights?
Somber woes?

How is Scribblehub comparing to competition for the number of users (authors and writers), internet traffic, stories posted, and general community sentiment?

Anything else you feel like saying? Huh, yeah, talkin ta you. Scream it out in text format.

Known thine enemies! What other websites are there for competition in this kind of online writing style and platform? I can think of a few.
Royalroadl.com
Webnovel.com
Wattpad

Anyways. Let's do battle with them. Full on war. Not sure how this is gonna work (I'm just slowly writing a story LAWL), but just punch first and ask questions later. Steal their souls.

P.S. I'm not sure if this thread is coherent and comprehensible, but that's alright since I wasn't trying to be.

TLCsDestiny

Well, if I were a criminal, I'd shut those ones down, then scribblehub would be the ONLY place to go, therefore, we win!

Kotohood

Noob Author
Well, not really a statement or fact but just my observations

Royal has the most brutal reviews I've ever seen on any website. They really don't like low effort stories and aren't afraid to stamp them out. On a another note, my story get more attention there than in scribblehub. Can't exactly tell what that means for me though.

Webnovel readers will read through anything. Legit. Can't really say anything other than that.

Wattpad for me is trash and by far the most brutal website for newcomers. Only because they don't have a latest update system.

And last but not least, the icing on the cake, our very own beloved scribblehub. This website has lots of people looking for girls love, isekai and litrpg. Generally more forgiving than Royal Road but it needs help in advertising the lower guys. The people in trending monopolizes most of the readerbase in the site.

Weeb stuff is more accepted here though. Which I like very much. No one bats an eye if you use japanese sounding names or weeb talk like oniichan and Onee-chan.

Then there is creative novels, but I don't have much experience on that site.

Yorda

And last but not least, the icing on the cake, our very own beloved scribblehub. This website has lots of people looking for girls love, isekai and litrpg. Generally more forgiving than Royal Road but it needs help in advertising the lower guys. The people in trending monopolizes most of the readerbase in the site.

Weeb stuff is more accepted here though. Which I like very much. No one bats an eye if you use japanese sounding names or weeb talk like oniichan and Onee-chan.

You gave a strong post there. So much truth in your words. I'm really happy about the advertising for new stories and updates on scribblehub+novelupdates. It's a very welcoming site. You are right that the trending section is a quite monopolized.

I give my complete approval for weeb stuff. Weeb = very good. By definition I am unable to be a weeb since I am actually part Japanese, but doesn't that make me partly qualified to give out weeb certifications, degrees, and diplomas? It could be the true difference. All this low quality unapproved weeb stuff going around the internet, but only scribblehub would have officially certified and approved weebs.

Like a 2 week training course and you could get a weeb certificate.
2 years = diploma
4 years = degree
If you speak and read Japanese better than me you get a PhD. (Not hard)

Should I charge for this?

Last edited:

Yorda

Based on the updates log for all the chapters it seems like Scribblehub is really starting to pick up steam. Mathematically at an exponential rate when I look at it. So I think now is a great time to be writing things and pushing out releases for early authors. Competition really isn't that strong for some things, but it is growing at an exponential rate so strike now while the iron is hot!

keitaro-sempai

The First Will's Origin
I once tryed wattpad and leave at my second release because the awful system. Last month when time was nigh for me to start publishing in an english novels site, I picked scribblehub as my first. It's neat.

LazyBoi

Well yeah Scribblehub is best :blob_highfive:
Webnovel just sucks out your souls...beware

Sinpathy

Wattpad is like fanfic incarnate, lots of BL. More amateurish than most established novel sites in my brief experience there, however a good place to start out if you're not confident in your writing.
RRL (now RR) is pretty critical, and leans more towards 'perfect' literature. Many writers get 0.5s just because the novel "wasn't for them". But the traffic there is about 3 times better than SH. Might change over time, seeing how much more novels are coming out recently.
Webnovels... I've tried it. Seems good. But it has some kind of obsession with K-POP stars. Idk, the writing prompts are weird. I got decent views there after leaving an unfinished novel behind for months.
SH is a nice blend of weeb (which helps because i sometimes use japanese suffixes) and the genres that I like, soooo.

Yorda

RRL (now RR) is pretty critical, and leans more towards 'perfect' literature. Many writers get 0.5s just because the novel "wasn't for them". But the traffic there is about 3 times better than SH. Might change over time, seeing how much more novels are coming out recently.
Webnovels... I've tried it. Seems good. But it has some kind of obsession with K-POP stars.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but it's pretty good that SH has managed that many people in 0.75 years. From the chapter updates from the start of the site to now it is clear to see that the userbase is currently growing exponentially. Now is the time for me to hatch my evil plan and attempt to steal political power. Please don't tell anyone.

Webnovels, I looked at it too! There is some kind of Korean obession over there. :LOL:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but it's pretty good that SH has managed that many people in 0.75 years. From the chapter updates from the start of the site to now it is clear to see that the userbase is currently growing exponentially. Now is the time for me to hatch my evil plan and attempt to steal political power. Please don't tell anyone.

Webnovels, I looked at it too! There is some kind of Korean obession over there. :LOL:

I would say like father, like son. But in your case it is more like author, like character. Evil plan to steal political power.Tsk tsk tsk.

Last edited:

Sinpathy

From my personal novel, and others, including Ace's works. I've even tested it on a separate account to see how fast a novel would gain traction.
In that department, SH still has ways to go, but it's getting there.

LWFlouisa

Generally speaking, the layout is way more pleasing than Wattpad. I can deal with some ... other differences so long as the website in and of itself isn't so buggy that it's practically unuseable.

With that in mind, I may be venturing into another path eventually: one of them is graphic novels, the other is essay-fiction, with follows a more literary fiction path that has some differences from plot-focused fiction.

Wattpad has more established official genre groups, then again they tend to die pretty quickly if Literary Fiction is any indication.

BOWIESENSEI

Well, not really a statement or fact but just my observations

Royal has the most brutal reviews I've ever seen on any website. They really don't like low effort stories and aren't afraid to stamp them out. On a another note, my story get more attention there than in scribblehub. Can't exactly tell what that means for me though.

Webnovel readers will read through anything. Legit. Can't really say anything other than that.

Wattpad for me is trash and by far the most brutal website for newcomers. Only because they don't have a latest update system.

Then there is creative novels, but I don't have much experience on that site.
Yes! couldn't agree more. The trending really does monopolize the readerbase and almost every single one of them is the same genre. It's honestly boring seeing the same shit with just a different anime girl on the cover.

LucyLynn

Well, Royal Road seems to have taken a dark path. They are deleting any stories that have more than 15% of chapters containing sex scenes. My own story was deleted, and I had to censor most sex scenes out. Many others have been deleted, too, including Royal Road classics, like Re:Hamster. I used to like Royal Road, but they've lost my loyalty. I still post a censored version of my story there, but I prefer Scribblehub now. Hell, even Webnovel let's me post my story in peace. I also get by far the most readers in Webnovel.

Ace_Arriande

Well, Royal Road seems to have taken a dark path. They are deleting any stories that have more than 15% of chapters containing sex scenes. My own story was deleted, and I had to censor most sex scenes out. Many others have been deleted, too, including Royal Road classics, like Re:Hamster. I used to like Royal Road, but they've lost my loyalty. I still post a censored version of my story there, but I prefer Scribblehub now. Hell, even Webnovel let's me post my story in peace. I also get by far the most readers in Webnovel.

I defend SH to RR, so it's only fair that I defend RR to SH as well.

Royal Road is doing what it has to if it wants to stay in business. I've done a lot of reading into the whole RR-and-sexuality stuff seeing as how I was one of the first big-profile stories to get removed from there for excessive sexual content to the best of my knowledge. You can find posts on the forums of the staff talking about how they have gotten in dangerous trouble with advertisers before for not removing some of the more graphic content on the website. They are walking on a tight rope and have to try their hardest to stay balanced. If they remove all stories that advertisers don't approve of, nobody is going to respect them and they will lose users. If they don't remove the most obscene stories (and this is subjective, but they are doing their best), then advertisers pull out. When the advertisers pull out, the website loses funding, and then nobody gets to post stories.

Right now, Scribble Hub doesn't have advertisers. This allows Scribble Hub to be far more lax with the allowed content. As soon as Tony wants to implement advertisers, there is likely going to be some drama and you should not expect otherwise. There are already a handful of stories on here that feature incestual content and glorification of rape. One of these was recently kicked off of Royal Road for breaking the content guidelines there. If Tony wants respectable advertisers, this story is also going to have to be removed from Scribble Hub. Unless Tony decides to have hentai game and scam advertisers, which I strongly doubt will happen, then stories are 100% going to be removed in order to keep advertisers or else the site will have to continue running without them.

Webnovel is a Chinese-run platform that is essentially too big to fail, and that's why it's so easy to upload pirated and rule-infringing content there. You only get in trouble if you get reported because they don't care about anything other than appearances. Being a corrupt company run out of China has that perk. Saying "at least webnovel lets me post X" is the same as saying "at least the drug dealer next door minds his own business and doesn't care about the cops."

LWFlouisa

If you mean Royal Road, I managed to get a three stars on there. Not sure what that's equivalent to here.

A friend said that's like a five on Amazon. ... I'm not sure it's that good. Hopefully decentish. This was in the previous version, not sure how the most current edit would be viewed.

One thing I'll say though, my lyrical style in newer works might not be for everyone.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
I defend SH to RR, so it's only fair that I defend RR to SH as well.

Royal Road is doing what it has to if it wants to stay in business. I've done a lot of reading into the whole RR-and-sexuality stuff seeing as how I was one of the first big-profile stories to get removed from there for excessive sexual content to the best of my knowledge. You can find posts on the forums of the staff talking about how they have gotten in dangerous trouble with advertisers before for not removing some of the more graphic content on the website. They are walking on a tight rope and have to try their hardest to stay balanced. If they remove all stories that advertisers don't approve of, nobody is going to respect them and they will lose users. If they don't remove the most obscene stories (and this is subjective, but they are doing their best), then advertisers pull out. When the advertisers pull out, the website loses funding, and then nobody gets to post stories.

Right now, Scribble Hub doesn't have advertisers. This allows Scribble Hub to be far more lax with the allowed content. As soon as Tony wants to implement advertisers, there is likely going to be some drama and you should not expect otherwise. There are already a handful of stories on here that feature incestual content and glorification of rape. One of these was recently kicked off of Royal Road for breaking the content guidelines there. If Tony wants respectable advertisers, this story is also going to have to be removed from Scribble Hub. Unless Tony decides to have hentai game and scam advertisers, which I strongly doubt will happen, then stories are 100% going to be removed in order to keep advertisers or else the site will have to continue running without them.

Webnovel is a Chinese-run platform that is essentially too big to fail, and that's why it's so easy to upload pirated and rule-infringing content there. You only get in trouble if you get reported because they don't care about anything other than appearances. Being a corrupt company run out of China has that perk. Saying "at least webnovel lets me post X" is the same as saying "at least the drug dealer next door minds his own business and doesn't care about the cops."
@Tony You should give this a read and let us know your thoughts about the future of SH.

Please and thank you. :blob_popcorn: :blob_hide:

LWFlouisa

I think the problem with Royal Road is it's unclear whether it's because I've written something badly, or they just don't care for it. I specifically wrote LGBT GameLit / LitRPGs, which may not work for everyone.

( It's evolved into its own genre since then, after the game world merged with reality. But not in the way you might expect. )

And generally even when I played JRPGs, I've tended to prefer the ones with relied on GUI bars, and not statistic numbers, with the exception of games like Grandia and Final Fantasy 7. Before I got into the whole Silent Hill thing.

But then I see that same switch over happening, as more play VR rather than classical console games, except retrogamers.