Pleas Read this and please try to guide me

Katakara123

Hello, the names Brandon, a 1st year college, you see, I love reading novels, so much that i stay up late just reading even to the point as not sleeping, its a bad habit but what can i say, i just cant hold back, its like i have find something that i absolutely find happiness. I started reading novels since my high school, at first, it was just a way for me to kill some time, but I started to fall deeper into reading novels, oh, and I admire those great author that is able to make wonderful novel so much. I have a wide range of genres that I like. mainly, romance, comedy, Sci-Fi and fantasy as well as action novels. i have also read/watched novels/manhwas/animes of different types. as A open minded person, it includes H animes/manhwas/novels, but definitely not P**n.

**well, that was just something for you to get to know me a bit better. my real purpose of writing this is that i also want to be able to write one myself, I also don't know any other platforms to discuss my issue aside from novel updates.

>>>> you see, after covid 19 has erupted, i stayed home almost every day spending my time reading and watching various anime/manhwas/novels, and that's where I found that I myself also want to write something of my own, but I also found out how hard it can actually be, that's why I admire authors so much. I have a rough idea about what kind of story that I want to write, but this is where the problem starts. I absolutely do not have any background of writing any stories, I only know a little of a stories structure maybe even less than its basics. But, just as they said, no one was born an expert directly right? and so I wanted to ask some help to everyone here to tell me as to what i have to do, I'm basically confused as to where I have to start. many experienced writers here or translators could definitely help me.so I humbly ask for your Help and suggestions, and please direct and guide me through this thread, although it might seem a rough run since it would be so hard to explain through text, it would still greatly help me building my foundation.

>>>Now, im gonna talk about how i dream my future in writing is gonna be. well, first, I wanted to be able to write my first novel and continue on growing, but my very very goal is to be able to have my own stories adapted in anime, pretty big goals right and it might even seem so far fetched. My biggest inspirations that gave me the drive is actually a manhwa, this manhwa truly captivated me, the title is "Solo Leveling". I know almost every body must already know this manhwa. i may not know what this manhwas' future may come to be, but to me, it is truly a master piece. I also want to be able to achieve that kind of thing.

>>>My only advantages that i know about myself is that, I have a wide range of ideas that i want to write, though it might be rough ideas with me not yet know as to where these ideas I have might head to, with my constant reading various types of stories, I can still make something that might be productive. It just that when it comes to the content, such as conversations, the character building, and other necessary things a story needs that I know and some that I don't. I have absolutely no idea what to do about those. Please share me some of your knowledge.

>>>Somehow, I find it easier to directly draw the story I want into images than writing it. unfortunately, it had already been a long time that I have drawn, I don't even have the right foundation when it comes to drawing leaving me without any other choices. Sometimes I keep on asking whether if it is okay that I'm only in charge of the story while others will handle the drawing part and turning it into manhwas. But anyway, I also find it quite good starting in writing novels. it would be a good starting point too.

>>> Right now, I am currently struggling in finding the right technique or setting as to how i should make a draft of my work before truly expanding it. as a beginner, I wanted to try and follow other peoples' ways, but I don't know, who, and where to find that someone, and I don't know if it is okay to do that either, otherwise I might get scolded or even get sued if I unknowingly did something that is not within the societies standards. Also, my I know ho long each chapter should have? any way, with all that said, lets say that I was able to make the 1st draft of my story, it might be good or it might be bad, after adding more content and expanding the whole story, I don't know where I should send it or how I should send it HAHAHA. I'm totally clueless, just blindly following what I want without thoroughly researching. though I have done some research, I still find asking everyone directly much more efficient than blindly looking everywhere. Instead, I wanted to hear everybody's opinion first before diving into researching the one I needed to in order to save time and brain memory HEHEHEHE. Please guide me with these Issues.

Last edited:

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
You have 2 main focus when learning to write (I did say two but there's than that if you can think of it)

Academic
>Go to youtube or google and learn how to write from the experts like Brandon Sanderson(he has tutorials on youtube)(but real talk here, his tutorials are long I didn't bother watching it with my short attention span)

Practical
>Just write and learn as you go. Learn from the feedback of others...

Now I did say main focus but that's just how you would spend your time mainly learning to write. You could go practical but still watch tutorials from youtube, point is, if you spend your time learning but not writing you just wasted your efforts...

General tips
>Don't be ashamed to research, although don't get too caught in it you forgot to write a chapter...
>Grammar. If you don't want to bother learning, just get grammarly
>Don't listen to me
>You can reread your favorite story and find out how it's amazing.
>Rereading your work aloud can make you see its flaws
>This is just what I personally learned/experienced. Just like how there are artist that draws completely based on "feels" and one that draws by measurements and anatomy, you can write what you want as long as there is no "excess words" or things that isn't related to plot. You can imagine the story as anime and describe it by that if it makes the writing easier...

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

The easiest way is to pick up your favroite source material and try to learn how to structure your sentences, paragraphs, and such. Since you mentioned that you love anime and such, why not pick up the LN of your favorite series for a start?

Take note that translated LNs have rather different sentence structures than what is traditionally accepted in writing, but you can at least get a feel for the pacing and the amount of content per volume. Or how elaborate you should be. Or the types of dialogue that you could go for. Or how characters can be developed.

That's a lot already. And it doesn't even matter if you pick an "artsy" LN with deep stories and character motivations or popcorn entertainment. Trust me, even the most panned trashy LNs have value, and you can learn something useful from them even in an unironic/unsarcastic way.

For chapter length, the typical standard for web publications online are at the 1.5k to 3k range iirc. You can go more, but that's the magic number, or so I've been told. You can also go shorter, but I personally do not enjoy reading something less than 1k and calling it a chapter.

Although, the easiest way is to just get started, post a chapter, and ask for feedback. You can start with an outline on events you want to happen then slowly fill in the blanks. But you really do have to get going one way or the other, so just start doing it. It might be daunting to get feedback, but a couple of people here are nice and helpful.

Also, I would finish with saying that your first work need not be perfect. I don't want to sound negative and all, but the dream of getting an anime or what is nigh impossible. Don't get me wrong, I know how that feels, but best keep expectations steady at first while you work your way up the ladder. If you want reads and such, you can try gauging the popular market on the site and all, but I wouldn't sweat the issue of online popularity or what. Just write what you like and what you enjoy.

Last edited:

Nymus

as A open minded person, it includes H animes/manhwas/novels, but definitely not P**n.
Ahhh ... I´m feeling slighted and offended! But only I care, so what.

My opinion, if you want to make a living with what and how you write - go for what your readers want. Trully, they don´t give a sh*t about you. They want their drug and you´re the dealer.

If you don´t need to sell your writings, just write what you like to read or write. Much more relaxed that way.

This is my own, and i concur, limited vision about writing. But nevertheless, I think true in a kind of way.

D

Deleted member 45782

Everyone has pretty great advice already stated, esp. @High-in-the-skys and @EternalSunset0 .
:D

Don't feel overwhelmed and just start writing. We can say things we want but the real practice is when we truly start writing it all down.

Also you dont need Grammarly. I have a problem with past and present tense, google docs always correct me all the time haha. And for spelling errors google doc and microsoft word also check for both.

Takes baby steps though and don't expect too high expectations like adaptations just yet. Expect too high and when you fall, it hurts more. Baby steps first. And that means start writing away.

Also, to improve it is good to be open to some feedback. But diffentiate what is constructive helpful (like some great pointers of flaws and strengths in a writing), and what is definitely not helpful comments (rude and no helpful pinpoint on how to improve).

Mind if we ask what genre the story you have in mind of writing, is in? There are many great genres out that we read but what we write may differ a bit. It helps narrow down what tips to give, thu most writing tips can be stretched to apply universal in some cases.

Some brainstorm organizational ideas:

Thinking bout adding another outline but thats about it for now.

I like to have rough idea of a story built up before looking at characters, but looking back i often think of characters first and they're more fleshed out before i think of the story's plot. I also like to write down ideas of scenes, quotes, etc. That can later be used in a story.

But everyone has their own mode of writing they feel comfortable in. Some are plotters (outline, plot before write) and some are pansters (write as one goes). Some are a hyrbrid of plotters and pansters (very vague rough outline formed then start writing from there).

For fantasy stuff, I have heard from others to check out Brandon Sanderson's youtube channels on how to write stories, a very well known author.

Last edited by a moderator:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carlo.jpg

Also, you might want to try being a beta reader for a while. Better yet, find a partner to exchange criticism with. It will help you transition from simply enjoying reading to looking at stories with a critical eye.

Ace_Raven

Hello, the names Brandon, a 1st year college, you see, I love reading novels, so much that i stay up late just reading even to the point as not sleeping, its a bad habit but what can i say, i just cant hold back, its like i have find something that i absolutely find happiness. I started reading novels since my high school, at first, it was just a way for me to kill some time, but I started to fall deeper into reading novels, oh, and I admire those great author that is able to make wonderful novel so much. I have a wide range of genres that I like. mainly, romance, comedy, Sci-Fi and fantasy as well as action novels. i have also read/watched novels/manhwas/animes of different types. as A open minded person, it includes H animes/manhwas/novels, but definitely not P**n.

**well, that was just something for you to get to know me a bit better. my real purpose of writing this is that i also want to be able to write one myself, I also don't know any other platforms to discuss my issue aside from novel updates.

>>>> you see, after covid 19 has erupted, i stayed home almost every day spending my time reading and watching various anime/manhwas/novels, and that's where I found that I myself also want to write something of my own, but I also found out how hard it can actually be, that's why I admire authors so much. I have a rough idea about what kind of story that I want to write, but this is where the problem starts. I absolutely do not have any background of writing any stories, I only know a little of a stories structure maybe even less than its basics. But, just as they said, no one was born an expert directly right? and so I wanted to ask some help to everyone here to tell me as to what i have to do, I'm basically confused as to where I have to start. many experienced writers here or translators could definitely help me.so I humbly ask for your Help and suggestions, and please direct and guide me through this thread, although it might seem a rough run since it would be so hard to explain through text, it would still greatly help me building my foundation.

>>>Now, im gonna talk about how i dream my future in writing is gonna be. well, first, I wanted to be able to write my first novel and continue on growing, but my very very goal is to be able to have my own stories adapted in anime, pretty big goals right and it might even seem so far fetched. My biggest inspirations that gave me the drive is actually a manhwa, this manhwa truly captivated me, the title is "Solo Leveling". I know almost every body must already know this manhwa. i may not know what this manhwas' future may come to be, but to me, it is truly a master piece. I also want to be able to achieve that kind of thing.

>>>My only advantages that i know about myself is that, I have a wide range of ideas that i want to write, though it might be rough ideas with me not yet know as to where these ideas I have might head to, with my constant reading various types of stories, I can still make something that might be productive. It just that when it comes to the content, such as conversations, the character building, and other necessary things a story needs that I know and some that I don't. I have absolutely no idea what to do about those. Please share me some of your knowledge.

>>>Somehow, I find it easier to directly draw the story I want into images than writing it. unfortunately, it had already been a long time that I have drawn, I don't even have the right foundation when it comes to drawing leaving me without any other choices. Sometimes I keep on asking whether if it is okay that I'm only in charge of the story while others will handle the drawing part and turning it into manhwas. But anyway, I also find it quite good starting in writing novels. it would be a good starting point too.

>>> Right now, I am currently struggling in finding the right technique or setting as to how i should make a draft of my work before truly expanding it. as a beginner, I wanted to try and follow other peoples' ways, but I don't know, who, and where to find that someone, and I don't know if it is okay to do that either, otherwise I might get scolded or even get sued if I unknowingly did something that is not within the societies standards. Also, my I know ho long each chapter should have? any way, with all that said, lets say that I was able to make the 1st draft of my story, it might be good or it might be bad, after adding more content and expanding the whole story, I don't know where I should send it or how I should send it HAHAHA. I'm totally clueless, just blindly following what I want without thoroughly researching. though I have done some research, I still find asking everyone directly much more efficient than blindly looking everywhere. Instead, I wanted to hear everybody's opinion first before diving into researching the one I needed to in order to save time and brain memory HEHEHEHE. Please guide me with these Issues.
As for now, how about you write it first? Anything. Then publish it. So that we can know about your writing.

But if you not yet written anything. My tips probably would be, to put emphasis on the flow when you are reading it.

Like you i am a reader before a writer. And my problem with some stories are either, too descriptive or too talkative.

There is simply too much to distract you from the flow when reading.

If you can put in on the mtl and you still get the point of the chapter, then i guess it's good enough.

If you can skip most of the dialogue or narration and still get the point of the chapter. Then i guess it's good enough.

Think of it like this. People didn't like it when you waste their time, because most people didn't have that much of free time.

So they are more likely to speed read their first reading. And if it's " hook" them they will read it again more appropriately this time because they deem you worthy of their time.

So yeah, focus on the flow.

Edit, and yeah, your goal as a writer is to find the sweet spot of the flow. To find the right balance.

So.

1.flow.
2.Hook
3.balance of the two too keep the reader engage until the story finally end

Last edited:

Kitsura

there are two types of writers.

There are the "architects" who basically plot out a story heavily before writing it. And then there are the "gardeners" who just write and see where it takes them. In reality, most people are somewhere in between.

For me, I just write like a goblin until I hit my daily word count and then do minimal editing and then upload it for my loving readers to gobble up. I go back and do heavy revision later and basically treat everything as a massive detail outline for when I eventually rewrite.

Seems to work for me!

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Oh, how passionate and kind for everyone to grace advice to a lost sheep. Then again, if simplified, becoming a good writer requires sufficient experience, and becoming a writer with an industrious mind requires hefty bits of knowledge... and another experience on top of that experience.

Know this first, the way you write stings hatred in my heart - making me suffocate, and making me not want to read.

List of Reflections you oughta do:
> Your LONG PARAGRAPHS are likely to lose readers than gaining them. Try and make your writing concise and neat, in order to avoid the suffocations that are lingering in your paragraphs and make breathing room for every sentence.

> You can't do a LETTER CASE after a period. I've seen you write without ever doing a letter case after a period... and sometimes, words don't have the right spelling. Get a grip on yourself!

> Your biggest inspiration is your biggest downfall. Instead of working on surpassing Solo Leveling, try learning more about the basics of writing - it is often than not, that when a writer is lost, it is because they haven't deeply learned all ways of writing.

> Following other people's path isn't what a writer is supposed to be - it is to write with their own way of writing - their own hands, passion, and determination. In any case, don't MIMIC other people's techniques, they don't make you who you really are.

> Reading and watching isn't the same way as learning how to write. If you want to become better at writing, then simply WRITE! No one has gotten far just because they watched JoJo or because they read Monogatari.

> Dreaming a clear future is dreaming the uncertain. The world doesn't last long enough to stay still and become changeless - it goes the same for us, humans. There will be times when the biggest obstacle strikes and we become helpless... losing time and effort in the process. First of all, your dream requires CONNECTIONS and PROFESSIONALISM. Show everyone your the best writer and your dream might not just be a dream anymore!

> Researching the APPRECIATED and the DETESTED! Writing has taken on different forms of category, but in every site or in one area of your place - many people share the same appreciation and detest to a certain genre of novel. Now, it is time you take that to your advantage and obtain readers by showing them what they like.

> The obvious HOOK and the inconspicuous SHOW, NOT TELL! When you're writing a story, you need to first make a 'hook', an opening statement that attempts to grab the reader's attention. The 'show, not tell'... is what most writers experience the hardest. Instead of writing, 'The narrow-crescent moon flies up high, lighting us until the shimmering bright red sun appears.' They would write, 'The moon flies, lighting us until the sun appears.'

They aren't making a passionate change by showing the readers what the moon and sun are! They simply write the moon and the sun as if they are words that were only meant to be told!

> Lastly, BLINDLY RESEARCHING what could help you is never better than researching WHAT could benefit you in any way. Know what you're doing before you act.

This is all I should say.

Last edited:

Katakara123

As for now, how about you write it first? Anything. Then publish it. So that we can know about your writing.

But if you not yet written anything. My tips probably would be, to put emphasis on the flow when you are reading it.

Like you i am a reader before a writer. And my problem with some stories are either, too descriptive or too talkative.

There is simply too much to distract you from the flow when reading.

If you can put in on the mtl and you still get the point of the chapter, then i guess it's good enough.

If you can skip most of the dialogue or narration and still get the point of the chapter. Then i guess it's good enough.

Think of it like this. People didn't like it when you waste their time, because most people didn't have that much of free time.

So they are more likely to speed read their first reading. And if it's " hook" them they will read it again more appropriately this time because they deem you worthy of their time.

So yeah, focus on the flow.

Edit, and yeah, your goal as a writer is to find the sweet spot of the flow. To find the right balance.

So.

1.flow.
2.Hook
3.balance of the two too keep the reader engage until the story finally end
Thankyou <3 well I have my rough draft right now, I am just lacking more for the content. by the way how do I even publish it?
You have 2 main focus when learning to write (I did say two but there's than that if you can think of it)

Academic
>Go to youtube or google and learn how to write from the experts like Brandon Sanderson(he has tutorials on youtube)(but real talk here, his tutorials are long I didn't bother watching it with my short attention span)

Practical
>Just write and learn as you go. Learn from the feedback of others...

Now I did say main focus but that's just how you would spend your time mainly learning to write. You could go practical but still watch tutorials from youtube, point is, if you spend your time learning but not writing you just wasted your efforts...

General tips
>Don't be ashamed to research, although don't get too caught in it you forgot to write a chapter...
>Grammar. If you don't want to bother learning, just get grammarly
>Don't listen to me
>You can reread your favorite story and find out how it's amazing.
>Rereading your work aloud can make you see its flaws
>This is just what I personally learned/experienced. Just like how there are artist that draws completely based on "feels" and one that draws by measurements and anatomy, you can write what you want as long as there is no "excess words" or things that isn't related to plot. You can imagine the story as anime and describe it by that if it makes the writing easier...
Thank you, I really appreciate what you said. I think what you said is right hehehe, being someone who loves to read actually helped a lot in writing, just that there are certain areas Im not proud of. LOL, especially when it comes to creating conversations between the characters, for example, i wanted my MC to be a narcistic character that talks and jokes a lot but I realized that I am not too got when it come to that certain area so in the end I changed into a silent MC that only talks when necessary LOL. anyway, I have the general Idea of what I want to write and where its supposed to be headed it just lacking too much content, i mean, it literally lacks in content. So I feel like banging my head to squeeze some ideas HAHAHA. In terms of grammar, I cant say its anything good but I dont think its bad either, well atleast people would be able to understand it. By the way, how do I even publish my work??
The easiest way is to pick up your favroite source material and try to learn how to structure your sentences, paragraphs, and such. Since you mentioned that you love anime and such, why not pick up the LN of your favorite series for a start?

Take note that translated LNs have rather different sentence structures than what is traditionally accepted in writing, but you can at least get a feel for the pacing and the amount of content per volume. Or how elaborate you should be. Or the types of dialogue that you could go for. Or how characters can be developed.

That's a lot already. And it doesn't even matter if you pick an "artsy" LN with deep stories and character motivations or popcorn entertainment. Trust me, even the most panned trashy LNs have value, and you can learn something useful from them even in an unironic/unsarcastic way.

For chapter length, the typical standard for web publications online are at the 1.5k to 3k range iirc. You can go more, but that's the magic number, or so I've been told. You can also go shorter, but I personally do not enjoy reading something less than 1k and calling it a chapter.

Although, the easiest way is to just get started, post a chapter, and ask for feedback. You can start with an outline on events you want to happen then slowly fill in the blanks. But you really do have to get going one way or the other, so just start doing it. It might be daunting to get feedback, but a couple of people here are nice and helpful.

Also, I would finish with saying that your first work need not be perfect. I don't want to sound negative and all, but the dream of getting an anime or what is nigh impossible. Don't get me wrong, I know how that feels, but best keep expectations steady at first while you work your way up the ladder. If you want reads and such, you can try gauging the popular market on the site and all, but I wouldn't sweat the issue of online popularity or what. Just write what you like and what you enjoy.
Thankyou so much, that was very helpful, yeah you're right, I've been focusing too much on how I should write something on par with my favorite novel that I forgot that just starting in this kind of career. that woke me up actually. I should be slowly grinding for experience. thankyou! what you said was really helpful, it gave me another idea right now HEHEHEHE thanks!
Oh, how passionate and kind for everyone to grace advice to a lost sheep. Then again, if simplified, becoming a good writer requires sufficient experience, and becoming a writer with an industrious mind requires hefty bits of knowledge... and another experience on top of that experience.

Know this first, the way you write stings hatred in my heart - making me suffocate, and making me not want to read.

List of Reflections you oughta do:
> Your LONG PARAGRAPHS are likely to lose readers than gaining them. Try and make your writing concise and neat, in order to avoid the suffocations that are lingering in your paragraphs and make breathing room for every sentence.

> You can't do a LETTER CASE after a period. I've seen you write without ever doing a letter case after a period... and sometimes, words don't have the right spelling. Get a grip on yourself!

> Your biggest inspiration is your biggest downfall. Instead of working on surpassing Solo Leveling, try learning more about the basics of writing - it is often than not, that when a writer is lost, it is because they haven't deeply learned all ways of writing.

> Following other people's path isn't what a writer is supposed to be - it is to write with their own way of writing - their own hands, passion, and determination. In any case, don't MIMIC other people's techniques, they don't make you who you really are.

> Reading and watching isn't the same way as learning how to write. If you want to become better at writing, then simply WRITE! No one has gotten far just because they watched JoJo or because they read Monogatari.

> Dreaming a clear future is dreaming the uncertain. The world doesn't last long enough to stay still and become changeless - it goes the same for us, humans. There will be times when the biggest obstacle strikes and we become helpless... losing time and effort in the process. First of all, your dream requires CONNECTIONS and PROFESSIONALISM. Show everyone your the best writer and your dream might not just be a dream anymore!

> Researching the APPRECIATED and the DETESTED! Writing has taken on different forms of category, but in every site or in one area of your place - many people share the same appreciation and detest to a certain genre of novel. Now, it is time you take that to your advantage and obtain readers by showing them what they like.

> The obvious HOOK and the inconspicuous SHOW, NOT TELL! When you're writing a story, you need to first make a 'hook', an opening statement that attempts to grab the reader's attention. The 'show, not tell'... is what most writers experience the hardest. Instead of writing, 'The narrow-crescent moon flies up high, lighting us until the shimmering bright red sun appears.' They would write, 'The moon flies, lighting us until the sun appears.'

They aren't making a passionate change by showing the readers what the moon and sun are! They simply write the moon and the sun as if they are words that were only meant to be told!

> Lastly, BLINDLY RESEARCHING what could help you is never better than researching WHAT could benefit you in any way. Know what you're doing before you act.

This is all I should say.
thankyou so much! this is really helpful. I mean it. To be honest, expressing my thoughts and sharing my ideas through written works is really not my forte and I'm really bad at grammar. thankyou, I will surely heed your advise. that was so helpful. <3

Last edited: