Please give feedback on the first chapter of my novel?

NefariousSage

Hi! I just put up the first chapter of my first novel. I'm a little unsure about it, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback on it!

keitaro-sempai

The First Will's Origin
It doesn't have anything that drives you into want more. More than a first chapter seems like an interlude beetween chapters or something. That's what I think

maharlika

hmmm. . . it doesn't really feel like a first chapter, actually. maybe you should add more information? like the banquet and stuff.

gahara31

I feel it is decent. The writing flow well, I didn't find anything wrong with Edith and Karina interaction but I had too agree with comment above that this doesn't felt like the first chapter. I know Edith is princess and Karina is her maid and from the way they spoke to each other Edith is decent as a person and actually care enough about others life, the problem is just I have no idea what the problem is and where is the story going to be. Usually in the first chapter I would know the basic genre of the story and what to expect in the future, be it relationship problem, an unexpected death, a little monologue of MC mind, something to begin the story. Dressing problem isn't really a good way to begin the story, that just a minor problem isn't it?

NefariousSage

hmmm. . . it doesn't really feel like a first chapter, actually. maybe you should add more information? like the banquet and stuff.
I totally agree! I normally would have, but I was being impatient and just wanted to get it posted. That will be the next chapter, for sure.

NefariousSage

I feel it is decent. The writing flow well, I didn't find anything wrong with Edith and Karina interaction but I had too agree with comment above that this doesn't felt like the first chapter. I know Edith is princess and Karina is her maid and from the way they spoke to each other Edith is decent as a person and actually care enough about others life, the problem is just I have no idea what the problem is and where is the story going to be. Usually in the first chapter I would know the basic genre of the story and what to expect in the future, be it relationship problem, an unexpected death, a little monologue of MC mind, something to begin the story. Dressing problem isn't really a good way to begin the story, that just a minor problem isn't it?
Thank you for all the input! I'm not 100% satisfied with this chapter, so I see where you're coming from. Definitely going to go back and rewrite at some point.