Please, help me choose story premise from a list.

What should I write? (details in the post)

• 1. boy vs dragon

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • 2. homicidal princess

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • 3. VRMMO dating simulator

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • 4. asshole that no longer have a harem

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • you are horrible, never write a word again

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

Werelure

I plan to write something to keep my writing skills in check but problem is - I have too many story premises to choose from in my old notes. Could you kindly help me choose in a final round where I narrowed it down to just a few?

1. A boy with impossible dream, his fate foretold, his future blocked by a dragon. Basically, it's your average adventure story in a fantasy world, with a few relatively unexpected twists and some obscure hidden meanings.

2. Sheltered little princess before, now she slowly turns into mindless bloodthirsty monster for sins of her parent. Betrayed and scarred, left with nothing, alone. Each her day now is a struggle to keep remains of her humanity. Will she find salvation or death? Maybe both?
(no romance to easily heal broken MC, at least not in already planned part of story)

3. It's your typical litrpg about deep dive VRMMO game featuring detailed fantasy world ruled by AI-gods with extensive interactions with those gods for players to explore. But it's secretly a huge dating simulator designed to induce birth of true sentient artificial intelligence. And MC treating it as just another game ditches seemingly useless young goddess of love and fertility for "old man" god of crafts who gives noticeable benefits from the start.
(no BL though)

4. MC had almost infinite life, ability to grant the same to his partners and corresponding almost infinite harem with the best girls in the world. And what did he do with all that? He sacrificed them all in a bloody ritual trying to create perfect girl that should match his apparently perfect self. No one will know if girl that emerged from ritual really was perfect or not as she instantly killed MC and herself led by resentment accumulated from myriads of souls. MC was then dragged into reincarnation cycle to atone for what he did while living as mortal and keeping a bit of his past memories. Will you bet on him doing exactly that? I'd rather not.

Any random thoughts on it are welcome too.

Last edited:

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
I'm a fan of 2 and 3. No offense but if 2 is GL then I probably wouldn't read it.

Werelure

I'm a fan of 2 and 3. No offense but if 2 is GL then I probably wouldn't read it.
Thanks for response!
No GL is planned for 2, and, as I clarified in edit, no substantial romance is planned either as MC will have more important things to care about, for example how not to rip apart everything that moves.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
4. And I think its a bit of a new genre to pick upon the same chinese redemption stories I saw on novel updates. Like, have the MC be given a task by the so 'perfect' woman to redeem himself by making the women he hurt happy on each worlds he reincarnates into?

A scumbag who wants to make those girls happy as each time he makes them happy, a part of the goddess evilness disappears and finally gains back all his powers. Or something like that?

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
2. Sheltered little princess before, now she slowly turns into mindless bloodthirsty monster for sins of her parent. Betrayed and scarred, left with nothing, alone. Each her day now is a struggle to keep remains of her humanity. Will she find salvation or death? Maybe both?
(no romance to easily heal broken MC, at least not in already planned part of story)
I would go with 2. Sounds like fun. Though I would like to clarify, romance doesn't = easy heal. Romance is a thing that happens naturally when people bond. Stories that avoid it to avoid it for me are, eh, missing a vital part of humanity. Though it shouldn't be used to heal broken people. Romance brings complications/fights/compromises/sacrifices.

In fact, it can suck. Broken people need to figure out how to heal themselves, even if they have a person to romance. The SO can help/provide support, but they aren't the solution.
Love fixes nothing. In fact, it can bring more issues and other shit where the MC might shine or fall flat. This is just my opinion.

:3 You write the story as you like.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I failed at trying to write 4 because halfway through the planning, it either feel like I am trying to clone Reverend Insanity with downs or I end up hating the MC so much that no matter what he do, he dies horribly.

So yeah, I picked 4 so I can see what horrible shit you put the MC through. Damn it might feel like reading an M's tale through redemption.

Ps. Anyone knows why NUF and SHF can't be access via Samsung Internet?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This one sounds like an allegory for a childhood filled with abuse and neglect.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I mean, if you're going to workshop premises maybe dream a little bigger.

LilTV1155

Maybe it's best to try simple in order to work out a few elements.

Werelure

Thanks everyone for responses!

4. And I think its a bit of a new genre to pick upon the same chinese redemption stories I saw on novel updates. Like, have the MC be given a task by the so 'perfect' woman to redeem himself by making the women he hurt happy on each worlds he reincarnates into?

A scumbag who wants to make those girls happy as each time he makes them happy, a part of the goddess evilness disappears and finally gains back all his powers. Or something like that?

I failed at trying to write 4 because halfway through the planning, it either feel like I am trying to clone Reverend Insanity with downs or I end up hating the MC so much that no matter what he do, he dies horribly.

So yeah, I picked 4 so I can see what horrible shit you put the MC through. Damn it might feel like reading an M's tale through redemption.

Ps. Anyone knows why NUF and SHF can't be access via Samsung Internet?

MC was dragged into reincarnation cycle and given a mission by world rules, not by some sentient entity and he'll reincarnate indefinitely in various conditions till his karmic debt is cleared. The girl he created was barely sentient at that moment and was dragged into reincarnation cycle to fix her newly created incomplete soul. Some harem members souls were destroyed in the process, most were just cleansed and entered next cycle normally and some were reincarnated with special rules.

Here is the problem - MC lacks motivation to completely wash away his karmic debt as that will mean he'll be cleansed and reincarnated into position similar to his original world but without any memories of his previous lives. So he'll have to be forced into that path by outside influences.

I would go with 2. Sounds like fun. Though I would like to clarify, romance doesn't = easy heal. Romance is a thing that happens naturally when people bond. Stories that avoid it to avoid it for me are, eh, missing a vital part of humanity. Though it shouldn't be used to heal broken people. Romance brings complications/fights/compromises/sacrifices.

In fact, it can suck. Broken people need to figure out how to heal themselves, even if they have a person to romance. The SO can help/provide support, but they aren't the solution.
Love fixes nothing. In fact, it can bring more issues and other shit where the MC might shine or fall flat. This is just my opinion.

:3 You write the story as you like.
2 is dark, fun but dark. Regarding my take on romance and soul healing - it'll take a few large miracles for this MC to view someone as romance target while her body demands to kill them all so I'd have to forcefully heal MC fast for it to work and I don't want that, thus "no romance planned" notice.

This one sounds like an allegory for a childhood filled with abuse and neglect.
MC had loving and caring parents though if a bit overprotective as they knew about the curse. They just underestimated it and one day hell broke loose.

I mean, if you're going to workshop premises maybe dream a little bigger.
I tend to write in really short burst while not having a specific project to work on so I end up stockpiling story premises and sketches in quantities I'd rather not disclose. Those four choices are what I have most confidence to complete and most materials to work with.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Thanks everyone for responses!

MC was dragged into reincarnation cycle and given a mission by world rules, not by some sentient entity and he'll reincarnate indefinitely in various conditions till his karmic debt is cleared. The girl he created was barely sentient at that moment and was dragged into reincarnation cycle to fix her newly created incomplete soul. Some harem members souls were destroyed in the process, most were just cleansed and entered next cycle normally and some were reincarnated with special rules.

Here is the problem - MC lacks motivation to completely wash away his karmic debt as that will mean he'll be cleansed and reincarnated into position similar to his original world but without any memories of his previous lives. So he'll have to be forced into that path by outside influences.

2 is dark, fun but dark. Regarding my take on romance and soul healing - it'll take a few large miracles for this MC to view someone as romance target while her body demands to kill them all so I'd have to forcefully heal MC fast for it to work and I don't want that, thus "no romance planned" notice.

MC had loving and caring parents though if a bit overprotective as they knew about the curse. They just underestimated it and one day hell broke loose.

I tend to write in really short burst while not having a specific project to work on so I end up stockpiling story premises and sketches in quantities I'd rather not disclose. Those four choices are what I have most confidence to complete and most materials to work with.
Sounds better than my dickish MC, who tries to use "rape victim into lovers" trope and fell flat on his face, so much so that he has to drug/ hypnotise (is there any difference?) the women out of their minds and once the effects wear out, he at best can pray for them to kill themselves instead of him.

@Tony why Samsung Internet can't be used for posting on NUF & SHF? The editing works, just not for posting and replying.

Werelure

Sounds better than my dickish MC, who tries to use "rape victim into lovers" trope and fell flat on his face, so much so that he has to drug/ hypnotise (is there any difference?) the women out of their minds and once the effects wear out, he at best can pray for them to kill themselves instead of him.
Well, he still is self-centered asshole I'd gladly kill in each his life. And who said he did not resort to raping and drugging off-screen in his early days when it was still fresh experience for him after he got bored of girls flocking to his bed for chance to get semi-immortality. Endless life have its demerits after all.

Though, with current votes chances are slim for this story to be written anytime soon - people prefer homicidal princess for whatever reason.

Werelure

Cause being crazy is the true rave?
There are crazy, there are raving mad and there is Homicide-chan who will bite off your head as you approach her and then proceed to weeping and crying about it for a day.

Just to note, I'm messing with you here - she is neither called Homicide nor do I use Japanese honorifics in my works.

LilTV1155

There are crazy, there are raving mad and there is Homicide-chan who will bite off your head as you approach her and then proceed to weeping and crying about it for a day.

Just to note, I'm messing with you here - she is neither called Homicide nor do I use Japanese honorifics in my works.
Oh my. What ya gonna do with some yandere and psychopaths?
The loony funny are fine, barely harmless. But I'm a little concerned about the psychopaths that will kill you if you even dare breathe or just because their mad tyrant attitude.
No really. It's just about the edgy and darkness and bloodshed. Seemed like the readers of the trend want to see blood shed and other immoral stuffs you can try to bypass the laws like dubious pedophilia.

Tony

Staff member

@Tony why Samsung Internet can't be used for posting on NUF & SHF? The editing works, just not for posting and replying.

Samsung internet? Please PM me if you need help

Werelure

Thanks everyone who participated so far!

I plan to end this voting at Monday (it was supposed to be automatic but I forgot to enable that option). There are still chances for results to change but most likely it'll be "homicidal princess" with a slight chance for "VRMMO dating simulator" to overthrow it.

What now? I better start writing already to have something to show on next weekend.