(Poll) Are humans inherently evil or good?

Your Response?

• Evil

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Good

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Both

Votes: 35 39.8%
  • Undefined

Votes: 33 37.5%

• Total voters

LimitBound

Saint
Is being evil something that only humans are capable of? Is goodness always caused by intentional activity? Is rejecting humanity worth it? Your response? Don't answer the first two question if you're not human.
I reject my humanity, JoJo!

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Good: Do good/ right thing.
Evil: Do not-good/ not-right thing.
Right: Something that is accepted, whether by whatever rule, that it is correct.

Rather than looking at Good and Evil as a one-off for life thing, I look at it as tradeoffs and choice routes. Who says a serial killer cannot help work in the local community and charity? Who says that a gangster who terrorizes his neighbourhood cannot be kind to his parents? Who says that a impartial judge cannot occasionally just close one eye in cases where he finds sympathy for the accused?

In all the case, we as humans like to boil things down to total amount of good minus evil equates to whatever stance. Because it is a lot easier than try and start a chronological timeline to see when the path starts and what actually affects the future choices. Because of this, oftentimes we are too harsh to good people as we expect them to never falter or continuously go up or too kind to evil people solely because we expect them to remain or go down further.

Last edited:

AmnerisTenjo

Humanity isn't inherently good or evil. It has potential to be good or evil or be in the grey area where most people fall. In the end, it really comes down to the choices and circumstances and decisions made throughout one's life, not to mention the experiences and influences.

someonesomeguy

zessei bijin stepford
by the way my morality is only based on what I think consequence of actions will be. the actions itself don't matter.
reducing it to numbers and just counting the consequences of things.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
Um...are you raping a cow to get it's meat? Because if so, I have a loooot of questions
ya, cows are mammals so if they make milk they're pregnant. also, if a boy cow is born from a pregnant cow we kill it for ground beef.

SternenklarenRitter

Every human is fully capable of the full spectrum of good and evil at all times. This is true even at a genetic level. Scientists have actually found genes in humans that decrease the carrier's chance of leaving viable offspring, and have been promoted and selected for throughout history because they increase the community's chance of survival. Some of the genes predisposing humans to autism actually fall into this category. Likewise, scientists have determined that at least a plurality of humans instinctively value their family according to how much of their dna is shared, and that such instincts usually inform crisis decision making when there is a choice of who or how many to save. Most people will instinctively value their sibling as much as four cousins, for example. The human genome is healthier when there is a mix of selfish (and even cruel) and selfless (all the way to self sacrificing) traits.

Yamemai

.... Neutral/undefined, imo. More of defined by life experiences.... A thought I remembered: crystal clear water doesn't propagate life, because it's too clean. Thus, 'good' and 'bad' would likely not survive, while a mix of them would. Thus leading to it becoming instincts, or something.

BlackFrost

We are neither good nor bad when we are born. It depends on our growing environment. That's what I like to think anyway.

Localforeigner

Good and Bad are concepts created by the human mind. In nature there's no such thing as good and Bad, only survival and instincts. If left alone without the hold of societal norms and laws, Humans will eventually revert back to their primitive baser instincts which prioritizes self preservation over any sense of righteousness.
Except no, humans won't. Humans are not rugged individualist predators.we are social creatures with real social needs. It is our ability to coordinate and work together that saw us evolving as a species. That isn't to say that some people won't give into their baser instincts if law and order broke down (as if it stops people now), but in a survival situation, the tribe will typically self-select those people out of the tribe, banishing them.

There is a reason why banishment has been such a serious punishment universally through human history.

sereminar

I grew up Roman Catholic and they have very strong opinions on this what with the whole "original sin" jazz. That being said I figure that we mostly want what's best for ourselves and our loved ones as best as we can manage given the system we are working within, and that social drive is really cool of us.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I'm extremely impressed by the number of responses this post has gotten. Kudos to OP. Becoming a legend.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
I find this to be a rather moot question, if humans are "inherently" something. If I am to give an answer in the framework of this, I'd say humans are inherently capable of both, if that wasn't obvious from observation.

In my personal belief, humans existed before birth as spirits - spirits that were neither good or evil, but had the potential to grow. I then believe life on earth is a tiny slice of eternity in which we are tried and challenged, all in an effort to grow.

In this way, I don't feel like humanity can be defined as good or evil, but only individuals.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
I grew up Roman Catholic and they have very strong opinions on this what with the whole "original sin" jazz. That being said I figure that we mostly want what's best for ourselves and our loved ones as best as we can manage given the system we are working within, and that social drive is really cool of us.
Speaking from a different Christian perspective, my church actually believes that Adam and Eve were great people that made the necessary decision to bring the world into a mortal state, and allow us all to be born.

So while we all feel the effect of Adam and Eve's choice, we do not have any mark on our personal record. And for that matter, neither did Adam and Eve. The "punishment" (and you can't really call it that) was the beginning of mortality, which was an essential step in God's plan.

Spica66

Only what feels right or wrong in personal level and how society defines good and evil—

Undefined is my answer. I'm not viewing this as a human, but as a neutral observer.

Now listen to Pandora in my signature.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Is being evil something that only humans are capable of? Is goodness always caused by intentional activity? Is rejecting humanity worth it? Your response? Don't answer the first two question if you're not human.
The enemy is the ultimate evil. You are defined by what you are against, what you are not.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
In my belief, humans aren't inherently anything. We are neutral on every matter when we are born. It is a person's experiences that determine what they believe in, and what they will do.