• Yes

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Monk_Origins

Well, ain't this a loaded question. Do I think that there is a mystical entity (whether sapient or not) righting wrongs? Hell no.
But statistically speaking, people who wrong others get wronged more often, while the reverse also happens. This isn't due to something spiritual, but due to (healthy) humans being inherently moral.
Another way to look at it is societal level. If you don't return a dropped wallet you found, nothing bad might happen to you. But if you return it, you increase the chances that the owner might do the same tomorrow too.
PS: Too lazy to bring up the source for humans being inherently moral. Just google it, I think you should find a youtube video from SciShow about it.

D

Deleted member 45782

In between no and maybe. There are people that treat others like shit but still get happy life and get away with many things. Then on the other side there are people that will do stuff for you and are kind and care for you, but sometimes they don't get that kind and care and love back. There are people who scapegoat others and still to this day therr are people who bash the victims and take the villain's side of things.

Sometimes things are unfair, and we just say maybe that shitty person done something good in previous life to get a good life now but sometimes it probably is just us trying to reason why so unfair and give us a sliver of hope that things some fairness and balance in the world, no matter how messy and unbalanced the scale can be.

Ofc theres also time where people do bad things and they do get caught or it blows in their face after what they have done. It always feels nice to see them reap what they sow, especially the things they do has been pretty devastating. Gives you a little hope that there is some fairness in the world.

Maybe if you believe in something yes. Maybe for the little things and petty stuff, yes. Not so much for darker, grimmer more realistic bad stuff that goes on in life that one cannot control or do much about if they're one tiny individual with little influence in the grand scheme of things in life.

Draconite

Exist in the void
Yes but no, everything happens because of a reason that's called cause and effect, if you do a cause you would get an effect. However not every bad things that happened is punished, rather almost every bad thing that happens is rewarded while good deeds are punished. While i want to believe in karma, i know that karma is an impossibilty

TheOneWho

I was always taught, treat others how you want to be treated. So that's why I voted maybe as I was taught to think something similar but I can't really believe something fully without some hard proof.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Just google it, I think you should find a youtube video from SciShow about it.
pfft, nah mate im pretty sure i seen that video before and their whole argument for that is based on altruism. And true altruism isn't real, because humans are always motivated by self interest. You don't do good purely because its good or right, but because it makes you feel good or because it benefits the species as a whole somehow.

That said, karma? yeah, no higher entity holding you accountable, but other people will. If you're a dick, often times other people are going to be a dick to you too. Its more a cause and effect type of thing, i'd say.

I once saw someone write about karma before in some story. Basically it was a fantasy story where Karma was a real conceptual entity that existed. And I dunno where this dude got his opinion on it, but he essentially said it's nigh impossible to be truly moral and "good" anyway. Why? Because no matter what you do, you're gonna commit some sort of evil. Stop a person from killing? You invaded that person's free will. Step on a bug? Murder. And you know, i feel that made some sense. It was a very extreme viewpoint on it but i think its also an extreme fair one. Its just that in being fair, its also unbelievably harsh.

I remember the main character saying, "Karma is a bitch" and then going on to explain all this. Lol. I agreed with him.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
In terms of eventual recompense for bad things done, yes, I do. Both in an eventual Judeo Christian idea of reward in the next life - plus just natural consequence of doing wrong in this life - ie, if you become an alcoholic, you open yourself up to possible horrible consequences like disease, or being arrested for drunk driving.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Let's be philospohical—what really is karma? Is it really the definition on the internet? Is it what you think it is? Is it what they think it is?

I|
I|
I|
I|
I|
V
I don't know.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I never once believe karma exist and now, I still believe it does not.

There is no such thing as a zero sum game or a definite you reap what you sow, lines in novels that resonates me the most are "you can work hard, but it is the heavens that decide whether you are getting rewarded; life is unfair sometimes" and "you can do good and no one will care about you, but if you continue to do bad, then something bad will eventually finds you".

For the first line, it tells me that in most cases, the good that you do just goes down underappreciated or not at all while the second line is basically someone will be iffed by your bad move and fucks with you for certain, they ended up follows the line of "do good and no one notices, do bad and no one forgets" that has been my life philosophy since I was 13.

I don't even believe in a second life or heaven, just that life itself is a purgatory/ mini-hell for the 99% and basically we are having greek gods as moderators.

There are in certain cases to get a karma houdini when doing bad though, one, just don't blow the bad thing you do into something too big; AKA don't make people think it is more worth to punish you than to ignore you. Two, spread out your evil. Three, hide the evidence.

Subsequently, it is hilarious for those who do good and ended up being called a hypocrite by the toxic of society, I am not referring to most of those who filmed when doing charity but rather, those who decides that goodwill doesn't need advertisement and they just do it out of their heart. Before you say that sometimes their goodwill got rewarded, remember that we are more affected by negativity than positivity.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I believe in karma, I just don't believe it works the way we want it to work. The caring uncle next doors gets ditched by his grandsons and left to die alone while the Wall Street bankers get to fuck over the masses Scot free.

Karma's a bitch, alright. One that's hard to understand too.

RavensDagger

But statistically speaking, people who wrong others get wronged more often, while the reverse also happens. This isn't due to something spiritual, but due to (healthy) humans being inherently moral.

I'd love to see those stats.
As far as I know, there's rarely any punishment for being greedy or cruel or egotistical. There's a reason why so many of the most well-off people exhibit that kind of trait.

I always figured that karma was just an excellent way to convince people to let others step on them because they'll believe that those who are mean and unjust will get punished for their actions.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
i believe in Karma but not in any personification of it.

I also think that while karma does sometimes work, it certainly doesnt work enough to be really meaningful.

MoodyFoxCat

To put my perspective on karma in short, I perceive it as a way for the universe or some other supernatural things that we cannot fully comprehend at all or something like that to force itself to interact and restore balance.

Now, what do I mean by "restore balance?" Well to put it simply, remove and replace the jagged pieces/pieces with holes/twisted or bent pieces and correct the course of human flow as intended until it reaches the final stage. Karma itself is like both a softcore and a hardcore punishment system that reacts only when it requires to like a system so advanced we obviously do not know really well how it functions forever and even by chance we do, it's already late.

Does someone get bullied during their school days? Karma interfered and we got plenty of varying results for that. I will not need to note or type it here as to what those are.

Did you or someone add salt to someone else's injury? Karma was called to compensate by bringing in "the bad package," whether right now after such action deserved such consequences immediately or that it was already planned with and it just has to make sure that the troubleshooting goes well as the process starts from zero to one.

Do you wish that someday the harassment you get from people just finally stops? Summon Karma and it will decide if the correction is really needed. Unfortunately, you cannot really manipulate something that was already finalized and that Karma must carry out. Should you accept it or not is entirely up to you.

Now if you all may excuse me, I had enough of brainstorming for today, I bid you all a good day *doffs fedora*

Leti

Maybe you won't get anything good back in this life and maybe even in your next one but karma gets accumulated.

Don't expect for something to happen when you do a good deed, you are doing it because you know it is the right to do. Karma only strikes when you don't expect it to.
I believe in karma, I just don't believe it works the way we want it to work. The caring uncle next doors gets ditched by his grandsons and left to die alone while the Wall Street bankers get to fuck over the masses Scot free.

Karma's a bitch, alright. One that's hard to understand too.
It works the same way as how Todd Howard and King Crimson works: it just works.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
P.s. I believe in karma now.

Yesterday I managed to secure a good parking spot and ridiculed a dude for trying so hard to get the same spot. Today, I became that dude... and ended up laughing a bit too hard.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'd love to see those stats.
As far as I know, there's rarely any punishment for being greedy or cruel or egotistical. There's a reason why so many of the most well-off people exhibit that kind of trait.

I always figured that karma was just an excellent way to convince people to let others step on them because they'll believe that those who are mean and unjust will get punished for their actions.
That's just straight up a coping mechanism.

Is karma made by religious sectors as a coping mechanism?