Poll : which writing software(s) are you using ?

Which writing software(s) are you using ?

• Total voters

NobleTalon

I am a notepad cultist but we are few so what about you guys ?

I know a lot of authors like to use software with tons of options, but for me, this is clearly the opposite.

When I write, I like to have nothing else on my screen except my text, a word count, and a chapters tab to save some time browsing through my chapters.

I used word and google docs/sheets a lot for work because they were the most useful softwares for what I needed to do, but when writing a novel I hate all those fancy options that I previously used so much on both word and ggdocs. I tried scrivener as well but unfortunately, it doesn't work on win7 anymore (yes I'm a win7 cultist as well).

Anyway, you can choose 3 responses max for the poll (I doubt someone uses more than 3 writing or editing software)

Mines are notepad and writemonkey, I do the chapter sketch and start writing on notepad and then I switch to writemonkey for details and editing.

I do not use Grammarly because English isn't my native language and I want to correct myself to improve, so I try to rely as little as possible on easy shortcuts like Grammarly, Google Translation etc.

edit: in the end, I started using Grammarly and as someone below said, it is a useful tool and a good way to improve his writing, even more when English isn't your native language.

edit 2: Libre Office / Open Office added

edit 3: I didn't put in-built/online text editor as they aren't softwares. The only exceptions in the poll are gg docs and Grammarly because they offer more than just writing, and the translators because they are only available online.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

I choose Word, Grammarly, and Google Docs in the poll. However, English is my second language, so I also use google translate, ReversoContext, and a few internet dictionaries.

xluferx

Prowriter advice, is customizable so it helps quite a bit

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Word. Now that it has the auto save feature it's basically just google docs without you having your data sold to mega corporations and foreign governments. Although docs has the Special Elite font which is pretty cool.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I do not use Grammarly because english isn't my native language and I want to correct myself to improve, so I try to rely as few as possible on easy shortcut like Grammarly, Google Translation etc.
If you don’t know what you did wrong, then you can’t correct it. They are not a shortcut, but a tool to get better imo.

That aside, I use word online, gdocs, grammarly, Google translator, and thesaurus.

Why word and gdocs? Because I write a lot of phone and switching between documents in app are annoying, so I keep reference doc in the other app and switch between the two apps.

D

Deleted member 54065

MS Word set on 'web' mode, and Notepad for drafts. But most of the time for drafts, I write them in a notebook (physical).

Also, I got Grammarly and ProWritingAid on my Word, since I edit 'on the go'.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
My writing software is a copy of Libre Office (I cast Word as the vote) and a composition notebook for drafting ideas down, lol.

Varstark

LibreOffice. Started to get sick of Word demanding a product key after a format, and my current laptop is old and pre-built. Had to get used to some inconveniences, but I've completely adapted to the clunkier software.

kiplet

Scrivener to write; Affinity Publisher and Sigil to lay out and publish, with an assist from BBEdit.

K_Jira

I use Word since I'm comfortable using it, already have the go-to format over there. Then I use Grammarly for editing when I put it on SH.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

I know a lot of authors like to use software with tons of options, but for me this is clearly the opposite.

When I write, I like to have nothing else on my screen except my text, a word count and a chapters tab to save some time browsing through my chapters.

I used word and google docs/sheets a lot for work because they were the most useful softwares for what I needed to do, but when writing a novel I hate all those fancy options that I previously used so much on both word and ggdocs. I tried scrivener as well but unfortunately it doesn't work on win7 anymore (yes I'm a win7 cultist as well).

Anyway, you can chose 3 responses max for the poll (I doubt someone use more than 3 writing or editing softwares)

Mines are notepad and writemonkey, I do the chapter sketch and start writing on notepad and then I switch to writemonkey for details and editing.

I do not use Grammarly because english isn't my native language and I want to correct myself to improve, so I try to rely as few as possible on easy shortcut like Grammarly, Google Translation etc.
Wattpad

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Used LibreOffice before I figured out how easy it was to trick Word to think that it was legit.

Dedicated main program would be QuollWriter. Word for last pass editing. Mostly practicing as of now to get into a groove.

NobleTalon

If you don’t know what you did wrong, then you can’t correct it. They are not a shortcut, but a tool to get better imo.

I thought about what you said and you were right, I just made an account and started using Grammarly. After re-editing my chapters I realized that I did a lot of mistakes without even noticing them.

So, thanks I guess :blob_salute:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

I know a lot of authors like to use software with tons of options, but for me this is clearly the opposite.

When I write, I like to have nothing else on my screen except my text, a word count and a chapters tab to save some time browsing through my chapters.

I used word and google docs/sheets a lot for work because they were the most useful softwares for what I needed to do, but when writing a novel I hate all those fancy options that I previously used so much on both word and ggdocs. I tried scrivener as well but unfortunately it doesn't work on win7 anymore (yes I'm a win7 cultist as well).

Anyway, you can chose 3 responses max for the poll (I doubt someone use more than 3 writing or editing softwares)

Why no LibreOffice as an option? Clearly a lot of people use it as mentioned.

Also, LanguageTool LibreOffice plugin for grammar checking.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Wow, no one uses WordPerfect? Shit. I mean, its better than WordProcessor and it has shitloads of more features despite being cheaper. My version is only 2 years old. If it wasn't for WordPerfect, I'd still be using LibreOffice, basically a free version of MicrosoftOffice. Works just as well and in the same exact way.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
I use LibreOffice.

Wow, no one uses WordPerfect? Shit. I mean, its better than WordProcessor and it has shitloads of more features despite being cheaper. My version is only 2 years old. If it wasn't for WordPerfect, I'd still be using LibreOffice, basically a free version of MicrosoftOffice. Works just as well and in the same exact way.
I tried WordPerfect once. You're right, it is better than Microsoft Word and it does have more stuff....but my problem with it is that it had TOO MUCH stuff. I know most people like a lot of doohickeys in their software even if they never use most of them but I was kind of overwhelmed. Still, WordPerfect is better than Microsoft Word and it definitely is cheaper.

It's weird that more people don't know about it. Got mine from Office Depot.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I use LibreOffice.

I tried WordPerfect once. You're right, it is better than Microsoft Word and it does have more stuff....but my problem with it is that it had TOO MUCH stuff. I know most people like a lot of doohickeys in their software even if they never use most of them but I was kind of overwhelmed. Still, WordPerfect is better than Microsoft Word and it definitely is cheaper.

It's weird that more people don't know about it. Got mine from Office Depot.
Yeah, it is weird that no one but me and you apparently, know about Word Perfect. Sad stuff.