Poll : which writing software(s) are you using ?

Which writing software(s) are you using ?

• Total voters

Mephi

I also use world anvil for writing stuff out, like my plans and stuff

NobleTalon

Why no LibreOffice as an option? Clearly a lot of people use it as mentioned.
I added it in the poll.

I didn't put it in choices at first as they are kinda similar to Word, and tbh the only times I used Libre Office was on Linux a decade ago so I kinda forgot about it lol

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Am I the only hardcore who writes in book and pencil?
At least the important points, it makes me feel that if I am doing something important at least. Apart from that notepad to write the entire chapter and I check it with google translator.

You know, now that I think about it, I think I'm overcomplicating myself.

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
I use the sh website, wattpad and my diary. I broke my computers and I write using my phone (tab)

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
Directly edit on SH web editor lol

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I use LibreOffice.

I tried WordPerfect once. You're right, it is better than Microsoft Word and it does have more stuff....but my problem with it is that it had TOO MUCH stuff. I know most people like a lot of doohickeys in their software even if they never use most of them but I was kind of overwhelmed. Still, WordPerfect is better than Microsoft Word and it definitely is cheaper.

It's weird that more people don't know about it. Got mine from Office Depot.

Yeah, it is weird that no one but me and you apparently, know about Word Perfect. Sad stuff.
We know what word perfect is. At least anyone who used to use a computer since 80-90s, it was often times bundled instead of MS word. But since MS gives cheap MS office for those who work at companies who use it, and manufacturers stopped bundling it. It became obscure to office.

Not to mention, what's the point when LibreOffice exists.

I added it in the poll.

I didn't put it in choices at first as they are kinda similar to Word, and tbh the only times I used Libre Office was on Linux a decade ago so I kinda forgot about it lol
Kind of the same?!?! You corporate microsoft shill pig! jk :P

That said, by that logic, is there a point to the poll? All software for writing is "kind of the same" lol

PS what about LanguageTool?

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
On the topic, what are the differences between those apps?

I am using Word but I would like to change to another one if it has features I prefer.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I use RTF files, Pages, and Google Docs. I used to use Word, Open Office, Neo Office, and Libre Office, but I don't anymore. I use RTF and Google Docs the most.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
We know what word perfect is. At least anyone who used to use a computer since 80-90s, it was often times bundled instead of MS word. But since MS gives cheap MS office for those who work at companies who use it, and manufacturers stopped bundling it. It became obscure to office.

Not to mention, what's the point when LibreOffice exists.

That said, by that logic, is there a point to the poll? All software for writing is "kind of the same" lol

PS what about LanguageTool?
80's????

Nah bud. There have been new ones since then XD
A new version came out just last year.

NobleTalon

I said kinda the same cuz for me word / open office / libre office look the same and they are meant to do the same job. I don't know if they share the same architecture tho.

Notepad is not kinda like scrivener, which is not kinda like word, cuz they have different purposes.

But word / open office / libre office are pretty similar.

And don't worry, I don't like Microsoft nor do I like Apple, but unfortunately nowadays if you want to be able to do everything on your PC you are forced to use windows.

I used to be on Linux for a few years but I had to go back to Windows because there were a lot of apps I couldn't run on Linux even with Wine.

As for apple, I've never touched one of their products and it's not going to change. Selling an iPhone more than 1k$ when they made it in china for less than 300$ is such a scam lmao

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
On the topic, what are the differences between those apps?

I am using Word but I would like to change to another one if it has features I prefer.
Word, g.docs, and libre are baseline writing programs.

Notepad, Notepad++, FocusWriter and Evernote are basic text. Not much frills or complicated inputs needed. More aking to digital version of pen and paper.

Grammarly is a tool that you input your text and it does a quick pass on punctuation, grammar and sentence structure. It's a hit or miss as how it does its job. Great if you aren't a native speaker for the most part. But some nuances are lost that can fundamentally change the meaning of a sentence.

Scrivener is a writing program that was made with specifically writing books in mind. Just like Quoll, Manuskript, Ywriter, Writeway Pro, etc. They tend to give extra options to write by scenes, character profiles, outlines, etc. While Scrivener is a paid application the others are free. They tend to compartmentalize the writing process into little sections to help keep the ideas in one place, yet separate. Scrivener, Ywriter and Writeway Pro would be the ones with a learning curve with how much there is to customize. Manuskript and Quoll tend to have the drop-down menus for scene/chapters/profiles/research along with their own spin on things.

Personally, like Quoll myself since it was easy to figure out in about 10 minutes. The typewriter sounds are a bonus.

Never tried Write Monkey, AutoCrit or Nobletalon. Very, very, quick search of these suggest that Writemonkey is a similar program to the dedicated ones in the previous paragraph. Autocrit is like Notepad with extra features. I actually can't find anything on nobletalon.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
WPS Office. It's like Microsoft Office and very compatible with Microsoft Office. Unlike Libre Office, which would have formatting issues. So many formatting issues if you use it to open docx or save into docx. Libre Office's odt is fine, but other programs can't open them.

Ai-chan also uses Zim. It's an offline wiki-type organizer software.

Ai-chan programs Ai-chan's own HTML5 applications for some story-specific name/stats/details/RNG generator/calculator.

Ai-chan does use Grammarly, and it's very helpful.

Photoshop is absolutely necessary. Canva for making book covers.