Post Tags

DreamOfRen

Sort of how Reddit does with flairs.
Would be helpful to mark a chapter as [Raw] for example.
Ideally more than one per post/chapter (2-3 limitation sounds good).
:blob_cookie:

:Edit:
To elaborate - I'm suggesting the ability for the user/poster to use default / create their own post tags which they can then re-use. In case that isn't clear. It's come to my attention that many people seem unfamiliar with Reddit's 'flairs'.

Essentially it allows you to "tag" one or more themes to a post so that users can make better informed decisions as to whether they would like to read said post.

As depicted above, the 'Self Promotion' flair is added. IF you viscously hate self promotion, you now know to steer clear. Likewise, if you treat Self Promotion tags like nose candy then -- smorgasbord.

:Merits:
  • Informative.
  • More Efficient Than Typing.
  • Saves Time.
  • Quality Of Life Improvement

:Mockup:

Last edited:

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence
Sort of how Reddit does with flairs.
Would be helpful to mark a chapter as [Raw] for example.
Ideally more than one per post/chapter (3 sounds good).
What does the flair [RAW] Imply?

and what other flairs are there? Are you able to provide a list of flairs and their associated meanings?

DreamOfRen

What does the flair [RAW] Imply?

and what other flairs are there? Are you able to provide a list of flairs and their associated meanings?
I'm not sure if you're just playing devil's advocate or just genuinely curious. :blob_cookie:
Raw means just that, some authors publish work without editing or revisions. Raw.

I listed the reason I would most likely use it. That and to label content within chapters (like 18+, for example).

As far as a list of flairs and their associated meanings -- it's not that I can't, it just that there isn't a need.
Flairs can be created as needed aside from any default ones set up, so the list can be dynamic and specific to user. As I mentioned, Reddit already does this. It would be a simple matter to just make a post and check out how it works rather than have me explain it to you so that you can better understand.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Raw means just that, some authors publish work without editing or revisions. Raw.
Out of curiosity, what’s the reason for this? Can’t you just put in your description that it’s a first draft if there’s a concen?

DreamOfRen

Out of curiosity, what’s the reason for this? Can’t you just put in your description that it’s a first draft if there’s a concen?
What's the reason for tagging your posts? I'm not trying to be abrasive here I just...find it weird that you'd ask something like this. I think it's weird that people would *struggle* to see the utility of it. The main reason is quite simple.

So that you can tell at a glance what's what, and gain additional insight into the content you're about to read.

"Chapter Name [Raw][18+][Extreme Gore]" as seen from the 'recent updates' section is more informative than "Chapter Name". You automatically know and understand that the chapter you're about to read is Raw, contains mature themes and content that might make some squeamish.

There's dozens of practical uses for it, which is why I suggest allowing the user to input their own post tags to be re-used.

[NSFW]
[Wholesome]
[Filler]
[Trigger Warning]
[Extreme Gore]
etc

As for your question, sure, people could do that.
People could also build apps and websites from scratch instead of using API or Widgets--could they not?
Why spend additional time when you could just make a few clicks to achieve the desired result?

Last edited:

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
I'm not trying to be abrasive here
No, I commented on here knowing the way you talk to people. A simple question or response is alwasy met with a, “I don’t understand why anybody would ever question my incredible genius.” I just don’t see the point in tagging something as “Raw” because it’s not edited. Sure, add things like gore, R-18, or whatever, but what is the point in posting “Raw”? I don’t get it. If it’s the first draft and you’ve just posted it without editing things, just leave it at that.

So I’ll say this again, what is the point of the “Raw” tag because you didn’t edit something? It’s really a pointless tag. If someone reads your story, and you decide to go back later and make some edits, they’re not going to go back and reread everything because of your grammar fixes.

Now for the third time, what is the point of tagging “Raw”? I’m not talking about other tags. I’m only talking about the purpose of “Raw” since that is the one you listed explicitly. “Raw”, that’s all I’m asking about.

DreamOfRen

No, I commented on here knowing the way you talk to people. A simple question or response is alwasy met with a, “I don’t understand why anybody would ever question my incredible genius.” I just don’t see the point in tagging something as “Raw” because it’s not edited. Sure, add things like gore, R-18, or whatever, but what is the point in posting “Raw”? I don’t get it. If it’s the first draft and you’ve just posted it without editing things, just leave it at that.

So I’ll say this again, what is the point of the “Raw” tag because you didn’t edit something? It’s really a pointless tag. If someone reads your story, and you decide to go back later and make some edits, they’re not going to go back and reread everything because of your grammar fixes.

Now for the third time, what is the point of tagging “Raw”? I’m not talking about other tags. I’m only talking about the purpose of “Raw” since that is the one you listed explicitly. “Raw”, that’s all I’m asking about.
Oh, so you purposely commented to start a fight?
Why would I answer you then?
Btw, it wasn't that subtle. That's why you got the response you did....
Glad you admitted it though. Now I won't look like an *** for preemptively using my thorny powers.

Last edited:

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Oh, so you purposely commented to start a fight?
Nope, like I said, I know what type of person you are from every other post I’ve seen of yours. Your reaction is not a surprise. I just don’t see the reason for a [Raw] tag. I already said I understood [Gore], [R-18], or other things, but I don’t see the point of [Raw]. I brought up [Raw] because that is the tag you specifically suggested in your first post.

But I’ve come to the realization that there is never a simple, “I want to do this for this reason” with you. It’s impossible. I asked about [Raw], and you decided to make it about everything I didn’t ask about. You could have answered it in one sentence, but like always you decided to answer by saying you can't understand why people etc etc

I'm not trying to be abrasive here I just...find it weird that you'd ask something like this. I think it's weird that people would *struggle* to see the utility of it.

Now, I know you will respond to this with some comment that has nothing to do with what I asked, that’s fine. Pat yourself on the back and tell us all how incredible you are, while once again ignoring the original question. I only asked about [Raw], that’s it. One sentence would have sufficed.

DreamOfRen

Nope, like I said, I know what type of person you are from every other post I’ve seen of yours. Your reaction is not a surprise. I just don’t see the reason for a [Raw] tag. I already said I understood [Gore], [R-18], or other things, but I don’t see the point of [Raw]. I brought up [Raw] because that is the tag you specifically suggested in your first post.

But I’ve come to the realization that there is never a simple, “I want to do this for this reason” with you. It’s impossible. I asked about [Raw], and you decided to make it about everything I didn’t ask about. You could have answered it in one sentence, but like always you decided to answer by saying you can't understand why people etc etc

Now, I know you will respond to this with some comment that has nothing to do with what I asked, that’s fine. Pat yourself on the back and tell us all how incredible you are, while once again ignoring the original question. I only asked about [Raw], that’s it. One sentence would have sufficed.
Raw is.....#$%&*!@ :sweating_profusely:

You've never spoken to me directly, heir go you know nothing of me. The same logic you're applying to me, I could also apply to you. You randomly messaged a person to be antagonistic because you saw a post? At least I had a reason and history with anyone I messaged. We have no such thing.

So... if someone were to happen by this post and see you being antagonistic for no apparent reason what would they think of you?

Truthfully, I'm not really obligated to answer your questions. I think my explanation is sufficient enough (I even made mock-ups, see?). Furthermore, if you see the point of other tags, then you understand the point of *any*tag, the purpose of tags is abstract and dynamic. In other words, they reserve the purpose you designate to them.

I don't feel inclined to answer, I don't like your tone frankly. :blob_cookie: If you don't like me that's fine but don't pretend like you have a reason for your imagined vendettas.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
You've never spoken to me directly
Meh, I've talked to you before. Now, I know a great one like yourself cannot possibly remember taking to a peon such as myself, but for no reason at all, you decided to go into a tirade against me over religion. An argument you created out of thin air, about a topic nobody was fighting over, on a subject you’re clearly not well versed in.

Truthfully, I'm not really obligated to answer your questions.
Of course you’re not, but I assumed that since you are suggesting a feature, you posted this thread believing there would be questions and you may need to answer those. Feel free to continue not answering my question.

I don't like your tone frankly.
So now you’re the parent of the internet, threatening to put soap in our mouths when you dislike something we say. I asked a simple question, you responded as if you are above mortals without answering the question. Feel free to interpret the tone of my text however you want.

DreamOfRen

Meh, I've talked to you before. Now, I know a great one like yourself cannot possibly remember taking to a peon such as myself, but for no reason at all, you decided to go into a tirade against me over religion. A conversation you created out of thin air, about a topic I never brought up, on a subject you’re clearly not well versed in.
:sweating_profusely:
Of course you’re not, but I assumed that since you are suggesting a feature, you posted this thread believing there would be questions and you may need to answer those. Feel free to continue not answering my question.
(y)
So now you’re the parent of the internet, threatening to put soap in our mouths when you dislike something we say. I asked a simple question, you responded as if you are above mortals without answering the question. Feel free to interpret the tone of my text however you want.
:blob_awkward:

DreamOfRen

Meh, I've talked to you before. Now, I know a great one like yourself cannot possibly remember taking to a peon such as myself,
If I don't remember you, it's because my mild dislike (really, its' more like..."meh, that guy again") for my arch nemesis Rusty Butterknife has pushed you out of my mind.
Verily I say unto ye, I apologize for my transgressions.

🙏

Devils.Advocate

hmm... i suppose s good litmus test is to ask authors to put [raw] [gore] etc etc. in front of their chapter titles or novel titles.

but if this feature is introduced, I am very skeptical of it being used, and honestly, it feels like something that seems like there is a need if you don't think too hard about it, but in the end no one actually uses, like the "latest chapter discussion" subforum.

tags and genre already cover most of the flairs, so most of the idea just feels redundant.

so its a no from me.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
hmm... i suppose s good litmus test is to ask authors to put [raw] [gore] etc etc. in front of their chapter titles or novel titles.
I think this is actually a good alternative for the people who want this feature. They could just add it to the title. A good chunk of the BL crowd already does anyway. And this also already allows the authors to choose exactly what they'd like to add without requiring a new feature.

tags and genre already cover most of the flairs, so most of the idea just feels redundant.
I wonder if maybe it would be an idea to just add a few new tags (although I know from experience this is really hard to achieve on SH). Like, I think gore and 18+ are already covered by several of the tags we already have and even in more detail but if 'raw' (or any other flair/tag, really) is something that is wanted, I think that might be worth a suggestion. If enough people agree, it might indeed be added.

Devils.Advocate

@yansusustories
BTW, do you know who manages the SH tags system? Who adds and who weeds them? Is there a submission mechanic? I think there are 2 - 3 mods that handle it over in NU.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
@yansusustories
BTW, do you know who manages the SH tags system? Who adds and who weeds them? Is there a submission mechanic? I think there are 2 - 3 mods that handle it over in NU.
I honestly think it's just Tony here. As for how to submit, I've only made posts for it in the feature request subforum and seen other people do it as well. Usually, a discussion would follow where people go over the pros and cons of adding the specific tag and whether it should be done. So far, I haven't really seen any of them being implemented but I think Tony is busy with the development of the app so maybe there wasn't really time for the small stuff and it'll happen in the future. In the worst case, we can at least gather the tags we'd like to see added and later submit them if there's another way to do so.

Edit: And I know most tags were taken over from NU but they were weeded out by some of the mods from over there. I don't have more info on that but I think one of them is also a member here since they mentioned it once.