Post your female character and I'll tell you what I think of her from my male reader's perspective

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Must be a culture thing then. Sorry if I intruded, but it's kinda common (in a way) in my area
Yeah it's dependent on area. I had long, black hair up to my butt and walked around without tying it up. Common in my area - I wasn't the only one sporting it!

Yes, my hair was long enough to sit on!
the thing is, the handsome one blessed me with some fanart but I didn't get any actual feedback. Well, I did get some from K5, but... I don't even know what to make of it. :er_what_s: So maybe instead, I can get some fanart for my Lucy instead?
LOL, unlike my thread, this thread is an actual feedback thread

I'm seeing some very good character feedback and discussions here :blob_okay:

Last edited:

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I disagree with this point. When I shop for groceries, go for a walk, etc. I rarely see long dark hair.
The thing is, natural human hair can be brown, blonde, grey/white, ginger, and sometimes extremely dark, almost black (if I missed any type of natural hair please let me know). And for example, in my country, it is extremely rare to see blonde/ginger hair but brunettes/people with dark hair are everywhere, on the other hand, if I go to northern Europe it is rare to see brunettes but the blonde is usual. So you "not seeing" people with black hair is, most likely, because of the country you are in (of course this is just an assumption, I wouldn't know). My cousin told me that usually Asian people have very dark hair so seeing black hair is quite normal but it is rare to see blonde, for example. :blob_cookie:

First of all, it isn't convenient going here and there with your hair down if they are long. It's partially a personal experience, as I have long, dark(plot twist) brown hair. If you go and the wind is blowing from behind you, you are in for a ride.
I have very long curly hair and I usually wear it down, even with the wind so I don't think you can say it is convenient or not because that is something from your personal experience. Besides, even with it being inconvenient or not, you might prefer to have your hair down at all times, it is up to whatever you prefer. In the end, if you go against the wind it might be troublesome but if you go with the wind is nothing more than you feeling like a Vogue model! :blob_reach:

And lastly, you have such a thing as hair dye and different hairstyles\haircuts\hairdo, don't know which word is the most appropriate. In our day and age, people try their hardest to look unique. Yet every one of the designs here is 'long dark hair." Not a wavy, curly. Not gathered in a ponytail or braid. Not held by some sort of an accessory, hair clip, bandana. Not dyed with anything.
Long. Dark. Straight.
Yes but keep in mind that hair dye is not something everyone has in their stories. So, for example, in my novel (which is based on a Kingdom with no magic), there are regular types of hair: blonde, brunette, grey/white, and ginger, however, there are three characters with unique hair: the MC that has black hair, the crown prince that has bright red hair and the MC's sister that has dark crimson hair. This is because I want to keep it somewhat "realistic" (even if I use these types of colors, I am trying to keep it as "normal" as I can) so I am not going to make a random kid be born with light blue hair making it look like cotton candy. And this is something I've seen in a lot of more "realistic" stories so far.
So, at the end of the day, it will depend on the type of story you are reading (not the thematic itself even though it helps).
Regarding the curls, ponytail, or braids, remember that those are nothing but looks that you can easily create (except the curls or wavy that can already come naturally) and, in this case, we are describing one of our female characters, and they can have several types of hairstyles during the novel. So, unless the character itself is always with a ponytail, braids, never letting her hair out, then it wouldn't make sense to use it as a description of the character. :blob_sir:

This is just my thoughts on the matter since I feel that you are throwing all the black-haired characters in the same pot without taking into account the type of story they are inserted in. Everything I said, like everything in life, can be wrong, and if that is the case then please prove me otherwise, I would like to grow as a person but, so far, this is my opinion on the matter. No harm done! :blobtaco:

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
She sounds more like a function than an actual character. It's like her function is to love her husband thus she loves him. Also, the stuff about her husband being a closet pervert is confusing as hell. They are married, right? They can easily make love, right? Sooo, he can actually grope her outdoors, right? Or they are kind of husband and wife that have sex under the blanket. With no lightning and only in a missionary position.
What about flaws and hobbies? Clumsy isn't making it for me. Maybe if I get to know a bit of her background, it will help. So far, she is a function.

As for her visuals, well, you even made a Japanese name for her. Her looks are inspired by manga characters, right? Not digging it. The sixth character in this thread has long dark hair. Like, really? Her visuals may as well suit the story, theme, and background. Still, it's getting a bit too bland already.

If you can perhaps elaborate and give more description on both her character background and looks. Then, and only then, I will be able to form a more proper, complete opinion. It's up to you though, if you want it or not.
1. The groping happened on their Amusement park date as they went into a Haunted House first. Thus, Murata Azai secretly groped her on that place but she didn't know that it was him due the poor lighting conditions on the place. They are also dating at this point. Not married yet as this is a backstory from their Pre-Married life
2. I plan to introduce their respective hobbies in later chapters

SailusGebel

The thing is, natural human hair can be brown, blonde, grey/white, ginger, and sometimes extremely dark, almost black (if I missed any type of natural hair please let me know). And for example, in my country, it is extremely rare to see blonde/ginger hair but brunettes/people with dark hair are everywhere, on the other hand, if I go to northern Europe it is rare to see brunettes but the blonde is usual. So you "not seeing" people with black hair is, most likely, because of the country you are in (of course this is just an assumption, I wouldn't know). My cousin told me that usually Asian people have very dark hair so seeing black hair is quite normal but it is rare to see blonde, for example. :blob_cookie:

I have very long curly hair and I usually wear it down, even with the wind so I don't think you can say it is convenient or not because that is something from your personal experience. Besides, even with it being inconvenient or not, you might prefer to have your hair down at all times, it is up to whatever you prefer. In the end, if you go against the wind it might be troublesome but if you go with the wind is nothing more than you feeling like a Vogue model! :blob_reach:

Yes but keep in mind that hair dye is not something everyone has in their stories. So, for example, in my novel (which is based on a Kingdom with no magic), there are regular types of hair: blonde, brunette, grey/white, and ginger, however, there are three characters with unique hair: the MC that has black hair, the crown prince that has bright red hair and the MC's sister that has dark crimson hair. This is because I want to keep it somewhat "realistic" (even if I use these types of colors, I am trying to keep it as "normal" as I can) so I am not going to make a random kid be born with light blue hair making it look like cotton candy. And this is something I've seen in a lot of more "realistic" stories so far.
So, at the end of the day, it will depend on the type of story you are reading (not the thematic itself even though it helps).
Regarding the curls, ponytail, or braids, remember that those are nothing but looks that you can easily create (except the curls or wavy that can already come naturally) and, in this case, we are describing one of our female characters, and they can have several types of hairstyles during the novel. So, unless the character itself is always with a ponytail, braids, never letting her hair out, then it wouldn't make sense to use it as a description of the character. :blob_sir:

This is just my thoughts on the matter since I feel that you are throwing all the black-haired characters in the same pot without taking into account the type of story they are inserted in. Everything I said, like everything in life, can be wrong, and if that is the case then please prove me otherwise, I would like to grow as a person but, so far, this is my opinion on the matter. No harm done! :blobtaco:
One of the reasons why I left this forum before was exactly this reason. We are both using English to express our thoughts, yet it's like we talk in two different languages. It is apparently my fault. I don't understand how to convey my thoughts so that people would understand me.

My answers easily devolve into an enormous amount of text, and I don't know how to answer you without doing so. I as well, can't spend all my time trying to answer this. Nor do I feel great taking all the attention in this thread.

The point that I tried to make all this time is this. There are FREAKING LOT you can consider when choosing the hairstyles. A lot, really lot. From country, age, personality, race, a world where the story is, and so on. A lot of this you can consider. You can specifically choose hair colors that suit the country\age\personality. Then you can combine the color with the hairstyle. You know? People like to experiment with their hair, or they may as well don't. This is a trait as well. So hairstyle can be chosen depending on the lots of different criteria, yes?

Now, look. We have different story premises. Different age. Different countries and so on in all these character lists. That is a fact. You can check the thread. Yet all the girls have long, black hair and slender figure. So, okay... Visuals of every girl fit the story. That's okay, I got no qualms with this. So apparently, the same visual archetype fits all the different story premises, different ages, personalities. Don't you find it strange? If you don't okay. But I do. So what I'm trying to say, did people actually try to delve deeper into designing the looks? Lasy design that is bland and tasteless. Carbon copies of one another, leaving no lasting impression on the reader. That is my opinion(though tastes differ, so nothing wrong with this).

Classic is good! You can pay homage to the classic. You may as well think that it really suits the characters, and it's just my taste that is bad. You can do what you want. I actually won't care nor reply to you anymore. I believe, that this message, just like the ones before, would be understood incorrectly. So why bother to continue this dialogue?

Have a good time of the day ma'am\sir.
1. The groping happened on their Amusement park date as they went into a Haunted House first. Thus, Murata Azai secretly groped her on that place but she didn't know that it was him due the poor lighting conditions on the place. They are also dating at this point. Not married yet as this is a backstory from their Pre-Married life
2. I plan to introduce their respective hobbies in later chapters
This became even more confusing with your explanation. Also, I understand that her personality might be a work in progress. However, with so little info, when you can't even name hobbies I can't formulate an opinion. There is so little info, it's like trying to read fortune rather than actually analyzing the character.

Last edited:

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Its alright lmao, I've already got what i needed from your feedback and Agentts feedback as well.

Last edited:

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
Okay, that's much better. Can't say I'm a fan though. For me personally, she still doesn't feel 'alive.' It's more of my feeling rather than an actual critique, so it's hard to formulate.
that's fine! i haven't gotten to the point where i've developed her fully yet so i agree with you that she's not "alive." right now she's more of a concept than a fleshed out character, because the whole story has a caricature/parody vibe. expressing myself in this thread has given me a better sense of where to take her in the future tho, specifically with regards to her way of thinking (which is connected to her under construction origin story as a whole).

thanks for sharing your thoughts bro~

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I believe, that this message, just like the ones before, would be understood incorrectly. So why bother to continue this dialogue?
I think you are seeing this from a bad perspective, in fact, I personally enjoy having these types of dialogues because you end up understanding/learning about other points of view that are not your own so I never considered all you wrote and everything I wrote, bothersome or worthless. I am actually thankful you took your time to reply since, as I said, it is something I consider beneficial.
Since you are feeling uncomfortable (or at least looks like it), I understand and so I won't pursue any comments further, and neither will I be expecting a reply!
Have a great day with lots of chicken nuggies :blobtaco: (or veggie nuggies!)

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It seems that mine got lost back on Page 3 😭

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
The point that I tried to make all this time is this. There are FREAKING LOT you can consider when choosing the hairstyles. A lot, really lot. From country, age, personality, race, a world where the story is, and so on. A lot of this you can consider. You can specifically choose hair colors that suit the country\age\personality. Then you can combine the color with the hairstyle. You know? People like to experiment with their hair, or they may as well don't. This is a trait as well. So hairstyle can be chosen depending on the lots of different criteria, yes?

Now, look. We have different story premises. Different age. Different countries and so on in all these character lists. That is a fact. You can check the thread. Yet all the girls have long, black hair and slender figure. So, okay... Visuals of every girl fit the story. That's okay, I got no qualms with this. So apparently, the same visual archetype fits all the different story premises, different ages, personalities. Don't you find it strange? If you don't okay. But I do. So what I'm trying to say, did people actually try to delve deeper into designing the looks? Lasy design that is bland and tasteless. Carbon copies of one another, leaving no lasting impression on the reader.

Aaaa I see the thread has turned into something else. :sweating_profusely: But ayyyyy I'm gonna just post here and say that I kind of get you, from a design perspective. Maybe I don't agree with the tone or how it's being said, but I definitely agree that you've got a point there.

The term you're probably looking for is probably the word, "generic".

Like, basically saying the girls have very similar features in terms of design. It's hard to tell one from another when these features don't contrast each other enough to stand out to an onlooker or a reader. Someone would see it and be like, "Oh, that's pretty!" and move on because they've already seen stuff like that.

It's actually a recurring problem in anime, since it's highly influenced by moe culture. Girls in anime need to be pretty in a generic sense to be appealing to the multitude of moe-otaku guys in the demographic they're targeting. There are garment differences but... yeah, hair, eyes, face... they're pretty similar to each other for the most part.

For example, guy characters have more varied designs in mainstream works:

Popular girls for anime usually are along these lines:

The design approach to male and female characters is pretty stark.... :sweating_profusely:

But I think asking the guys to design a character that looks flawed might cost them readers and viewers. It just can't be helped. Risks can be expensive!

EternalSunset0

Popular girls for anime usually are along these lines:

But I think asking the guys to design a character that looks flawed might cost them readers and viewers. It just can't be helped. Risks can be expensive!
And it doesn't help that I, as a guy, genuinely gravitate towards those four designs you gave. At times, I check a show, look at some of the main cast, and see one that's probably similar-looking to the four and pick her as a waifu or something already, then get interested in the show. All that even before watching the show lol. My opinions can change mid-way, but still.

I can't speak for others, but I can't be the only one, right?

Although I do like Emilia more than Rem and Shizu more than Shion in their respective shows among those listed.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
And it doesn't help that I, as a guy, genuinely gravitate towards those four designs you gave. At times, I check a show, look at some of the main cast, and see one that's probably similar-looking to the four and pick her as a waifu or something already, then get interested in the show. All that even before watching the show lol. My opinions can change mid-way, but still.

I can't speak for others, but I can't be the only one, right?

Although I do like Emilia more than Rem and Shizu more than Shion in their respective shows among those listed.
Right? There's a reason why they're designed that way. They're very attractive to your demographic.... and if I'm not mistaken, that demographic covers at least 60 to 70 percent of this site. It's pretty expected to have these moe bishoujo waifu designs to draw in readership here on SH - nothing wrong with that because it works.

You're not the only one because I do that too, except not with female characters. I look at the cover... see a hot guy I miiiiight fancy, then give it a go. I'm pretty sure a lot of people are like us! It's how we market stories and stuff - visuals play a very important part too! It's the whole package nowadays, especially with so much competition and so many content creators and talents appearing.

Emilia and Shizu also have cute eyes and cute small noses. Their builds and styling may be different than say, Shion or Rem, but I think what the other user was mentioning was more along the lines of noses having a different curvature, brows being bushier, etc. At least that's what I'm getting from the posts.

He probably means girls designed like these:

They're not typically moekko. Girls designed like these are probably rarer in visual novels in sites like SH and Webnovel. Take a look at them and see if you find them very attractive. :blob_hmm: If you don't, chances are a lot of moe-loving guys don't either!

angry_raccoon

Hey everyone! I’ll take a stab here, I guess! I’m curious on the thoughts, especially since my character’s so different from most of the others that are on this site/web-publishing, lol. As a note—she’s not meant to be written like a waifu or someone that’s necessarily attractive—she has a ton of superficial ‘flaws’ and emotional ones as well. Just want to preface it with that, since that’s not the intention, but I’m curious to gauge what guys would think!

The (messy) artwork was also drawn by me; latter is a cover idea I scrapped—the book is meant to be realistic and not anime-based; this was for my own artistic/cartoony rendering of her, but I’m always someone that says authorial intent doesn’t matter/death of the author, so you see her however you like; the written description’s more important in my opinion!

Jacinta - a 23 year-old blood witch!
Shrank Jacinta.jpg
Shrank Cover.jpg

Visual details: seemingly and deceptively soft body type at first: a curvier figure, with a smoother chin and rounded nose—but she’s all jagged and harsh. Deep-set, angry eyes with purple bags; bitten-down nails; a halo of curly (and sometimes coily; there’s a difference haha) dark brown hair; thick brows, rounded nose, full and dark lips. She’s short but very strong, but with a disabled body, and a guarded sense if/when contact comes her way. She carries herself with focus and slight contempt, more at herself and the world than anyone in particular. She’s living paycheck-to-paycheck, so clothes are all secondhand, but compliment her figure in a lazy way without much styling—they highlight her curves, but often have holes in them that she has to re-sew. She’s slightly bitter that she’ll never be ‘pretty’ just because of societal norms, but has had some sexual abuse; she’s made peace with it and her own self-image (in theory), but aches to be someone, anyone, else (and she ends up becoming other people/things through the story as she goes into different dimensions—men included). When she uses magic, her veins rise and light comes off certain parts of her body in galactic blooms.

Personality/background/5 sentence stuff: extremely hard-working—she was handed a bad deck of cards in life, with a missing father, taken/dead mother, and a little sister to take care of…all while being illegally living beneath the system in an alternate US. She’s perpetually exhausted, often bitter, but is a passionate, strong-willed firebrand; when it comes to protecting her sister or her best (and only) friend, she’ll do anything. She lacks time to dedicate to herself and has set aside her own life to simply survive and have her sister succeed, but used to be a planner, always tight-laced and strict and as perfect as possible, living an immigrant life to ‘work twice as hard to get half as much’ (as the saying goes). She was honest and blunt, but followed the rules until she couldn’t—so she’s now working on her magic, breaking the rules, in order to save her sister and get strong enough to help her. She’s biromantic, gray-asexual (still coming to terms with it, but generally leans towards women), and will gradually let herself open up—both in the romantic sense and the emotional sense.

Also, oop looks like I stumbled in at literally the perfect time, discussing non-generic characters haha. I don’t watch much anime, but part of the reason why I tend to be a little off-put from it is the lack of diversity in designs for female characters, and how they pander to certain demographics in doing so. I mean, I get it from a business sense, but media echoes real life :/ I’d personally prefer to have a less conventionally attractive main character and have less of a following, hence Jaci above, haha. Though I do understand why people would have a more appealing MC and characters; no shade to anyone else ofc; just agreeing with the wonderful points that Lin made :blob_reach:)

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
Format: 1 character per person

Name of character:
Visuals (if any): image (preferably resized)
Description: Short blurb, 5 sentences maximum - can be about hobbies or general personality
Edit: If you're looking to change something about the character, let me know. I can try to advise.
I may be a guy myself, but I can't help but ask for opinions about my characters, you know?

Name: Aina Regalius (Unreleased yet)
Visuals: Cute, short (5'1"), has low ponytail. She usually wears a hood to hide her appearance. In the future, her battle gear has her wearing oversized-yet-controllable gauntlets as her main weapon along with her magic.
Description: She's very shy and introverted, seeing as she was isolated and hidden away for reasons unreleased (yet) in my novel. At her young self, she's the shyest of them all, hiding from everyone at all times except when she's with her first friend which she loves dearly. In the future, she becomes more extroverted, more outgoing, especially with her first friend. She's the type of girl that will pamper you wherever you are, so long as she has the privacy and time to do so. She's very kind and patient as well, treating everything bad the first friend's doing to her as a mistake or an accident.

What do you think? A little over the top?

EternalSunset0

Hey everyone! I’ll take a stab here, I guess! I’m curious on the thoughts, especially since my character’s so different from most of the others that are on this site/web-publishing, lol. As a note—she’s not meant to be written like a waifu or someone that’s necessarily attractive—she has a ton of superficial ‘flaws’ and emotional ones as well. Just want to preface it with that, since that’s not the intention, but I’m curious to gauge what guys would think!

The (messy) artwork was also drawn by me; latter is a cover idea I scrapped—the book is meant to be realistic and not anime-based; this was for my own artistic/cartoony rendering of her, but I’m always someone that says authorial intent doesn’t matter/death of the author, so you see her however you like; the written description’s more important in my opinion!

Jacinta - a 23 year-old blood witch!
View attachment 7995View attachment 7996
Visual details: seemingly and deceptively soft body type at first: a curvier figure, with a smoother chin and rounded nose—but she’s all jagged and harsh. Deep-set, angry eyes with purple bags; bitten-down nails; a halo of curly (and sometimes coily; there’s a difference haha) dark brown hair; thick brows, rounded nose, full and dark lips. She’s short but very strong, but with a disabled body, and a guarded sense if/when contact comes her way. She carries herself with focus and slight contempt, more at herself and the world than anyone in particular. She’s living paycheck-to-paycheck, so clothes are all secondhand, but compliment her figure in a lazy way without much styling—they highlight her curves, but often have holes in them that she has to re-sew. She’s slightly bitter that she’ll never be ‘pretty’ just because of societal norms, but has had some sexual abuse; she’s made peace with it and her own self-image (in theory), but aches to be someone, anyone, else (and she ends up becoming other people/things through the story as she goes into different dimensions—men included). When she uses magic, her veins rise and light comes off certain parts of her body in galactic blooms.

Personality/background/5 sentence stuff: extremely hard-working—she was handed a bad deck of cards in life, with a missing father, taken/dead mother, and a little sister to take care of…all while being illegally living beneath the system in an alternate US. She’s perpetually exhausted, often bitter, but is a passionate, strong-willed firebrand; when it comes to protecting her sister or her best (and only) friend, she’ll do anything. She lacks time to dedicate to herself and has set aside her own life to simply survive and have her sister succeed, but used to be a planner, always tight-laced and strict and as perfect as possible, living an immigrant life to ‘work twice as hard to get half as much’ (as the saying goes). She was honest and blunt, but followed the rules until she couldn’t—so she’s now working on her magic, breaking the rules, in order to save her sister and get strong enough to help her. She’s biromantic, gray-asexual (still coming to terms with it, but generally leans towards women), and will gradually let herself open up—both in the romantic sense and the emotional sense.

Also, oop looks like I stumbled in at literally the perfect time, discussing non-generic characters haha. I don’t watch much anime, but part of the reason why I tend to be a little off-put from it is the lack of diversity in designs for female characters, and how they pander to certain demographics in doing so. I mean, I get it from a business sense, but media echoes real life :/ I’d personally prefer to have a less conventionally attractive main character and have less of a following, hence Jaci above, haha. Though I do understand why people would have a more appealing MC and characters; no shade to anyone else ofc; just agreeing with the wonderful points that Lin made :blob_reach:)
I think it's a fine backstory. I can easily visualize a character like her in a story. I can see her fitting right in into a webseries, one of those dark ones. As a character, she's fine. The backstory overall, I feel I've seen some of it before, but I'm not averse to that theme nor derivatives. Really curious as to how the magic comes into play later on, too.

On the flipside, the visuals don't click with me, as you'd probably have expected. Then again, I as a person really don't care much about diversity more than getting what I want in repeated doses, so that hopefully sets a background to my comment. Even taking the anime background aside, I'm just more attracted to the graceful or the demure types in appearance. I dunno if it's an Asian thing, as I'm from north Asia.

On another note, I'm glad that you took a stab at it. I really hope the heated discussion above wouldn't discourage people to post their characters here.
I may be a guy myself, but I can't help but ask for opinions about my characters, you know?

Name: Aina Regalius (Unreleased yet)
Visuals: Cute, short (5'1"), has low ponytail. She usually wears a hood to hide her appearance. In the future, her battle gear has her wearing oversized-yet-controllable gauntlets as her main weapon along with her magic.
Description: She's very shy and introverted, seeing as she was isolated and hidden away for reasons unreleased (yet) in my novel. At her young self, she's the shyest of them all, hiding from everyone at all times except when she's with her first friend which she loves dearly. In the future, she becomes more extroverted, more outgoing, especially with her first friend. She's the type of girl that will pamper you wherever you are, so long as she has the privacy and time to do so. She's very kind and patient as well, treating everything bad the first friend's doing to her as a mistake or an accident.

What do you think? A little over the top?
I won't say it's over the top. I like her, actually. Could see her as a little sister figure. I wouldn't mind knowing someone like her irl.

I also think that in a school, SoL setting she probably becomes the shy girl who has a surprisingly outgoing and athletic side.

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
I won't say it's over the top. I like her, actually. Could see her as a little sister figure. I wouldn't mind knowing someone like her irl.

I also think that in a school, SoL setting she probably becomes the shy girl who has a surprisingly outgoing and athletic side.
Yey someone likes my concept of her :D

I do want to put 2 more in, but I don't think that'd be allowed.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
HAHAHA I feel bad hijacking the thread with such discussions but I couldn't help myself - they're just so gosh darn interesting!! I enjoy looking at consumer profiles or building customer avatars quite a bit. It's become habitual in a way.

Media does echo real life, but in this case I truly believe anime works as an export. I'm Asian and I live in Asia, and most girls you'd see on the street would be slender and have long hair. Even if we bleached it and dyed it, there are several aspects of our features which are still really alike. I remember a guy hailing from the UK once telling me, "no offense, I'm sorry if I can't recognize you, but I can't tell you girls apart". He's not wrong in a sense, because style-wise and by face and build (DNA-related, mostly), we tend to look pretty alike.

The rest is likely just exposure. Like, I can't tell certain blond guys from other blond guys either - it was confusing to me because I'd confuse him for his friends. To me, most western girls and guys look the same. It's probably because I rarely see any westerners, and even if I do, it's rare that I up and make conversations with them.

I think guys who watch moe anime are more exposed to it, which means they can easily tell the girls apart design-wise. I'm the same with anime guys - can tell them apart too, even if they look similar. I can tell some of the female characters apart too, and remember them by name even with those similar facial features. From familiarity itself I can tell Asuna apart from Erina, for example.

Books and characters like yours might do a little bit better on sites like Wattpad or RoyalRoad, I think. SH seems to be more geared towards Asian entertainment. I'm here myself because of the anime and cultivation-based influence.

The other thing that I think really vibes with the boys here are the bright colours. You'll probably notice that the girls in moe (the first row I shared in the earlier post) and the more unique girls in the second row have a different palette altogether. The first row looks livelier, and therefore are instantly more attractive to the eyes. You can't really use bright colours on the more unique character designs because it'd be too much style-wise. We do this with clothes as well - if I'm making something with a LOT of panels or very bold cuts, I'll subdue the colour of the fabric like crazy - but for a plain cut or simple silhouette I'd usually feature a heap of prints or embellishments.

It's usually one or the other! :blob_happy: I'm hoping this post helps a bit when someone's coming up with a character design for a cover... but I think for novels, just words are enough. Some of the best novels I've read have no covers or character designs at all!

Welp, have said my share. I'mma get out of here before I derail this thread any longer :sweating_profusely: My bad, guys, sorry!!!! :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I did this with Lin Xue so I will take my chances here as well! :blob_sir:

Keep in mind my story is based on a Kingdom where social status is everything and this character is my MC, she has lived 9 lives but always died by flames on the night of her 18th birthday (she is currently on her 10th life).

Name: Ophelia Criswell
Nickname (in the novel): The Black Rose
Visuals: Long straight black hair with a fringe, Light blue eyes, Pale pink lips, Pale skin (basically looks like a porcelain doll)
Personality: Cunning, Intelligent, Logical, Just, Cold
Description: She is the 2nd daughter of a Duke (which is the highest-ranking below royalty) and has a poor relationship with her family since they blame her for murdering her mother at birth (she is supposedly "cursed"). And so, after dying over and over she wishes to live lustfully right after getting rid of her fiancées (she married in previous lives) until she dies. She doesn't believe in destiny or fate, but she forces herself to believe in God as a justification for these events (dying over and over again). She doesn't seek revenge but, if people who hurt her approach her with ill intentions, she loves to punish them accordingly. She also doesn't "believe"/"trust" in Love due to being betrayed by the person she loved in one of her lives.
View attachment 7988
This is a character sheet I've been working on for her. She is somewhat like this (even though this one doesn't have colors but you get the idea I think!)
I can't say more otherwise I will be talking endlessly :blobtaco:

I really like the design. I love that long black hair style with the fringe. Maybe it comes for my love for Alice from "Please Save my Earth". In fact, she kind of does look like Alice, albeit a bit older. Her personality, I'm not too crazy for because she's the opposite of who I like. I prefer more shy and timid women and she seems more cunning and shrewd about things. From what I read, I can see that she has lived a tragic life, being blamed for the death of her mother, and it's definitely uncalled for. But this is another world so who knows how they do things there. I'd say the reasons for her actions are justifiable enough.

Pretty good job on the character. I just really wanted to comment on her design. I love it.

UPDATE:
Oh... looks like I'm the only who liked her design. :blob_neutral:

SailusGebel

It seems that mine got lost back on Page 3 😭
Don't know about others, but I ignored your character intentionally. I don't think we can have a proper conversation. I doubt I can phrase this well enough. But it's like the way we think is parallel. We will never click\cross. Hope someone else will help you.

EternalSunset0

HAHAHA I feel bad hijacking the thread with such discussions but I couldn't help myself - they're just so gosh darn interesting!! I enjoy looking at consumer profiles or building customer avatars quite a bit. It's become habitual in a way.

Media does echo real life, but in this case I truly believe anime works as an export. I'm Asian and I live in Asia, and most girls you'd see on the street would be slender and have long hair. Even if we bleached it and dyed it, there are several aspects of our features which are still really alike. I remember a guy hailing from the UK once telling me, "no offense, I'm sorry if I can't recognize you, but I can't tell you girls apart". He's not wrong in a sense, because style-wise and by face and build (DNA-related, mostly), we tend to look pretty alike.

The rest is likely just exposure. Like, I can't tell certain blond guys from other blond guys either - it was confusing to me because I'd confuse him for his friends. To me, most western girls and guys look the same. It's probably because I rarely see any westerners, and even if I do, it's rare that I up and make conversations with them.

I think guys who watch moe anime are more exposed to it, which means they can easily tell the girls apart design-wise. I'm the same with anime guys - can tell them apart too, even if they look similar. I can tell some of the female characters apart too, and remember them by name even with those similar facial features. From familiarity itself I can tell Asuna apart from Erina, for example.

Books and characters like yours might do a little bit better on sites like Wattpad or RoyalRoad, I think. SH seems to be more geared towards Asian entertainment. I'm here myself because of the anime and cultivation-based influence.

The other thing that I think really vibes with the boys here are the bright colours. You'll probably notice that the girls in moe (the first row I shared in the earlier post) and the more unique girls in the second row have a different palette altogether. The first row looks livelier, and therefore are instantly more attractive to the eyes. You can't really use bright colours on the more unique character designs because it'd be too much style-wise. We do this with clothes as well - if I'm making something with a LOT of panels or very bold cuts, I'll subdue the colour of the fabric like crazy - but for a plain cut or simple silhouette I'd usually feature a heap of prints or embellishments.

It's usually one or the other! :blob_happy: I'm hoping this post helps a bit when someone's coming up with a character design for a cover... but I think for novels, just words are enough. Some of the best novels I've read have no covers or character designs at all!

Welp, have said my share. I'mma get out of here before I derail this thread any longer :sweating_profusely: My bad, guys, sorry!!!! :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:
Thanks because I learned so much from this. Perks of being a fashion student, I guess. Although I don't think I consider myself a "moe", I do think that I am very attracted to modern moe-inspired anime designs. I dunno if it's term picking or what, but while I simply like and not love the "pure moe" stuff like K-on or GochiUsa, I got a lot of characters that I consider waifus (Asuna, Emilia, etc) that arguably have moe influences in their design.

Hit the mark with the color palette thing, too. While from my experience, people often consider this superior art,
c04_main.png

I personally find myself being more attracted and inclined to buy character merchandise of the same girl with this coloring and art style.
Df6c1707f49be849bb34acc992fea045.jpg
GOODS-04069057.jpg