Preferences with Characters

EternalSunset0

Figured it's time to start another topic for discussion, inspired by what a friend shared on her social media a day or two ago. Really curious to know what everyone's preferences are when it comes to reading/watching stories. So yeah, here's a short survey-ish thread for us to share our thoughts on.

1. What kind of protagonists do you like?

2. What kind of villains do you like?

3. What kind of supporting characters do you like?

4. What kind of romances do you like?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
1) Confident cishet women
2) Villains who think they are doing the right thing
3) Eh, doesn't matter so much
4) Polyandry

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
1. Anti-heros who aren't scared to get dirty but overall good guys who aren't completely naive or dense.

2. Villains who are human. I want to feel a little sympathetic and sad towards their inevitable defeat or bittersweet towards their victory.

3. Doesn't matter as long as they aren't irritating or disaster prone. But I'd like to see a lil bromance or girlmance (?) between a support character and the MC.

4. Romances that have drama, suspense, and weight. I want to cheer for my MC's relationships, no matter if it's one, two, or a hundred! As long as I feel there's a solid connection between them.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
1.) Rough speaking elder brother/sister that's cool and confident. Good with hands and can repair a bike with a duct tape and not the power of friendship.
2.) Misunderstood villain that actually have a logical reasoning on why the heck would they destroy the city if their problem is the leader when they could just bomb their house.
3.) Funny person or atleast logical or have some same traits as the main character. I don't mean the comic relief type in cultivation where it's a fat guy or the japanese introvert type. I don't mind if they're the mastermind.
4.) Slow-burning romance. I prefer boiling slowly than deep-frying. I hate the 'LoVe aT FiRsT sIgHt', really would be good if one's gonna do this is to make the character interested in making the other a friend and slowly discover love. Really hate the 'Kabedon me werewolf man! My testosterone/estrogen is calling for your love!♡♡♡'. Please don't do this, you're not a young female right?

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
1) Decently smart protagonist that doesn't do everything himself. Doesn't matter what the character is necessarily strong with, just as long as the specialty is focused on and developed. Nice overall and not an inherently mean person.
2) Mysterious villains that work behind the scenes. Doesn't always have to be in the protagonist's face. Gets hands dirty for the sake of beliefs. Isn't just evil for the sake of being evil.
3) I like round side characters. I care about their backstory, they have an important role for the overall goal and they aren't just someone with a trope.
4) I like fluff. I like vanilla. I like the slow-build that leads up to the true romance. The characters get to know each other, have their heart to heart moments, go through hardship and then the hints of romance start happening.
I think that sums it up. Lol. I'm not a big romance person in general for the last one, but I like when it is sprinkled in the story. :D
Also, catgirls!

DubstheDuke

-Intelligent
-Self interested
-Badass
-Having gone through a lot of pain

-Insane but extremely likable
-Has a good reason for being the way they are
-Written well enough to the point where you want to cheer for them

-Not beta, don't need MC just to survive. Can handle themselves and aren't useless.
-Have their own goals and desires. Aren't just following the MC's goals.

-The love interest is more than just a love interest. They're a character of their own with their own goals and desires.
-Insane love is always fun.
-Characters supporting one another is important, but it can't be one sided. If they're reliant on one another, make it so that there isn't a parasite and a host. Make it so they're both parasites and hosts.

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
Figured it's time to start another topic for discussion, inspired by what a friend shared on her social media a day or two ago. Really curious to know what everyone's preferences are when it comes to reading/watching stories. So yeah, here's a short survey-ish thread for us to share our thoughts on.

A dick head But a reasonable dickhead, Which is pretty much wat I wante dmymc to be

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
1. Hard to answer - all types are good when handled well. I do love (genuinely) competent MCs, and sometimes eccentric ones.

2. Also very difficult~! Villains who are easy to hate are fun sometimes, as long as they're allowed to be people in their own right. Complicated villains are great too.

3. Good friends that are actually friends. They have lives of their own, feelings of their own, genuinely like the MC, the MC likes them, and the MC also helps them with their issues in return, instead of having them be a mindless assistance group. Also do not get ditched/chucked aside over time.
Characters who are competent - genuinely competent, not just competent until the MC comes along to humble them with their apparent greatness.
Supportive, healthy families - especially fathers or father-figures.

4. Queer, human x non-human, idiots to lovers, genuinely equal power couples, gentle and mutually supportive partners, tall and muscled ladies sweeping someone off their feet, wholesome married couples, soft domestic bliss...
I'll eat almost anything as long as it's good.

D

Deleted member 49654

1. cold, smart, scheming, mysterious, cat lovers
2. not much into the villains but they gotta be witty, cat lovers
3. cool, helpful to the mc, independent, cat lovers, cats
4. romance that fits my shipping without too much drama and misunderstandings; stories without any romance as well; monogamy (I abhor harem/reverse harem); fast romance; both parties are strong and witty; no cheating/doubting one's feelings for too long; bl (yup I am a bl reader as well); not into furries/traps

My favorite kind of protagonist is someone I can relate with in some way. Probably they had past trauma or hardship i can sympathize with, and use it to motivate them to reach greatness. They don't have to be perfect in any way or win every single fight, but not afraid to learn from their mistakes and recognizing they're not always right. They don't have to be genius, but at least have a working brain, and not overly reliant on plot armor to stay alive.

I'm not a fan of villains in general, but I guess I like it, if they weren't completely hateful. Like, they had motives that aren't less than the protagonist, and at some point you want them to win instead of the MC. A good example is probably the criminal in the movie Heat and Chono Kosaku from Busou Renkin. I guess I also like if they don't have to be a villain until the end, and will eventually join the MC after they solved their differences. Of course, it doesn't have to apply to every villain in the story.

As for supporting characters, I feel that differing casts of characters is good. Not everyone has to agree with the MC, but not everyone has to be hostile to them either. But my favorite of all is that person who may not show it or appear indifferent, but actually is the most loyal to the MC and cares about them more than anyone else. Everyone might betray them at some point or part ways, but that person will always stick with you through thick and thin.

I'm not really a fan of romance in general, but I like it when they don't treat each other as possessions and being dependent on each other. i like it if the romance are meant to heal one another, and make them able to stand on their own, even if one passsed away at some point. rather than the idea of romance, i guess i'm more into the idea of caring for another in general.

EternalSunset0

I'm not a fan of villains in general, but I guess I like it, if they weren't completely hateful. Like, they had motives that aren't less than the protagonist, and at some point you want them to win instead of the MC. A good example is probably the criminal in the movie Heat and Chono Kosaku from Busou Renkin.
Whoa, a Buso Renkin fan. I loved that show.

Thanks for all the responses. I'd love to hear more. Keep them coming~

Spica66

1. cold, smart, scheming, mysterious, cat lovers
2. not much into the villains but they gotta be witty, cat lovers
3. cool, helpful to the mc, independent, cat lovers, cats
4. romance that fits my shipping without too much drama and misunderstandings; stories without any romance as well; monogamy (I abhor harem/reverse harem); fast romance; both parties are strong and witty; no cheating/doubting one's feelings for too long; bl (yup I am a bl reader as well); not into furries/traps
cats

D

Deleted member 45782

They are not too snobby and cocky. Nor are they too perfect (Mary Sue vibe, can do no wrong, nailed everything right of the bat, well-liked, etc.). I like humorous protagonists that have growth development, and doesn't make/do things out of their character. I think lot of people like protagonists with sarcastic edge (from what i see on wattpad + a few books) but i kinda like ones that aren't always all that, since not every protagonist (person) is sarcastic. And humor does not always have to be represented by sarcasm, can be in many different ways.

TL;DR: I like protagonists that are somewhat realistic or "believable" and makes sense, some flaws, and has a funny bone.
Well-developed ones. If you write the protagonist side well enough, many cases readers will also side with the mc and be against the villain, sometimes even if the villain was not in the wrong. It would be really interesting to see villains that sometimes make you think, you know depending what they do, they may actually be doing good. Like a general fighting against the protagonist; maybe their king is bad, but they are fighting not for them, but to protect their home country. Or how a good character slowly turns evil; its kind a slow torture to see that way, but many evil ones were probably not evil to begin with but became so because of their environment, situations, or interactions with others.

TL;DR: Villains that are not evil just bc for no other reason, but have ulterior motives and actual reasons that made them turn evil or antagonistic.
Some characters that are interesting and have a backstory, not just some wallpaper or an extra prop for the protagonist. They have reason or cause to be there, and don't just stop being useful or essential to the plot, after a few arcs unless some explanation is done. The most interesting characters are ones that you don't get that much info on them, but back on the interactions and slowly through the plot, you can come together to piece a subtle story about what their past was or what they are like. The best part is piecing those things together since its not directly told straight away, since these support characters' backstory shouldn't be as important as the protagonist's story that it distracts the mc's story to theirs. then its consistent.

TL;DR: I like supporting characters with some backstory to them. Their stories don't overtake the mc story that it derails the main plot focus, but has just enough hint of intrigue that makes them captivating. + they aren't just props but and forgotten, but help support mc and plot actions.
One that makes sense. One that doesn't use some plot types that are so overdone that its become a cliché and definitely not ones that are very questionable and border to the point of harassments, abuse, and even …..stuff. I have seen read a bit of some stories like within few chapters or first chapter, and they pass off some sort of abuse or creepy stuff as romantic that would be really disgusting irl. No hotness cannot always excuse a character's actions. And one right choice shouldn't always be a sign of forgiveness for all the horrible things they did to the other. Like say character cheats, abuses, discards, doesn't stand up for character through many events, and at the end supposedly the character seems like on the path to still falling in love with that character. So again, for the believable characters part. Also has some chemistry and not just flat that you have to go look with a magnifying lens to see what tiny strands hints of romance between the characters. You heard about character development, well now you also wanna see relationship development (even if nonromance).

TL;DR: Relationship development. Romance makes sense. Has chemistry. No creepy, harassments, abuse, assault stuff that is excused just bc the romancing character is hot, and so the mc keep subjecting themselves to those things that realistically would be a hell no to that relationship.

Conclusion: Characters and relationship development. No branding as simply just evil, but have reasons why they became that and their motives make sense. Realistic or believable characters in their interactions. No harassments, creepiness, abuse, etc. taking lot of crap from others and just simply forgiving them and falling in love with them in the end, despite all the things they have done to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKnightWithaKnife

1. I don’t like gay protags
2. I prefer female lead stories ( I’ve read to much male lead stufff that’s it’s starting to become the same )
3. Perverts

D

Deleted member 29316

1). Human/human-like protag
2). Complicated villains
3). Actually useful support characters
4). Simple and straightforward