• 1001~3000

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • 3001~5000

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • >5001

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

D.C.Haenlien

I want to see what the reader’s preferred chapter lengths are and why. Mostly for research to understand the reader base of the SH community.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I want to see what the reader’s preferred chapter lengths are and why. Mostly for research understand the reader base of the SH community.
2k words. If its less than that, is it even really a chapter? Its just a short ass disappointment

Kotohood

Noob Author
The way I see it, unless it is too short or too long, the readers don't really care about the length.

2k average is for me rather than my readers. Just good enough for me to finish up in one night.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
2k -3k for better reader enjoyment. :blob_cookie: Of course, ya could go lower as long as its good quality and your release rate are high.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I used to write longer chapters, or rather, they are long in the draft, but lately I've been splitting them due to life demands or fatigue. I type until I'm tired, flip through my paper notebook to see how much longer I intended that chapter to be, and if it's more than I want to handle, I figure out the best place to split the chapter. Sometimes, that gives me some pretty awesome cliffhangers.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I usually go on long bursts in one go, so I prefer chapters over 4000 words. That's how long I write my chapters anyway (average of 7k to 9k)

C.Sunlight

...I take super long to write chapters, that's why they have to be short to keep up with my release rate. (3 chapter per week.)

That, and my writing style is naturally consise. At least, I think that is the case. 🤷

Queenfisher

Bird?
Ah, I'm so relieved I'm not the only one on the longer side of chapter length! I was scared for a bit. I tend to write longer but that's because I'm new to webnovels and can't get rid of my previous writing habits yet.

As a reader, I don't mind short chapters as long as I'm binge-reading. But if I'm reading an ongoing series, regardless of how often they update... then no. I would prefer longer chapters -- 3k and higher, if not even 5k and higher. But for series that are old and completed, it doesn't matter much, I guess. Even 500-word chapters would do fine if there are plenty to binge.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
2000ish for me, it's something I can read while waiting for a bus or something~

Bugi

Well, the number of words I write per chapter is increasing lately...

D.C.Haenlien

Well, the number of words I write per chapter is increasing lately...
I think that's natural. When I first started writing (fanfiction) the chapters were quite short in comparison to what I write today. As you get write more and more so does the length of your chapters, at least in my opinion.

Elim

2500-3500ish each chapter. Most preferable for me when reading. And I tend to binge chapters. But I concur on Koto's point. As long as its not too short or too long.

Writing wise, I believe you should write the length most suitable to your story. Tho, I think writing past 4k words is :blob_sweat: . Think it will be tiring for most readers. Special chapters like a prologue I believe its appropiate to do whatever you like.

Nyaa

2000-4000 words. The stories that I enjoy most fall in that range.

They need to be about that long to properly cover a given event. Less than that, the author is either skimping on details or splitting them into pieces for more frequent releases.