Profile Blocking

Ninetailed_Furball

It's not quite a new feature, but more like reversing an old decision.

I was trying to message a reader in regards to a review placed on my story (it read way more like an angry rant than a review), and wanted more information. But the entire profile was blocked, preventing such a thing.

I understand the want to protect your own information, but being unable to contact someone at all feels a bit excessive, especially since they can still post whatever they want. It's entirely one-sided. I mean, if you prevent receiving messages, I could understand not being able to post any comments and reviews as well, but as it is, there's no way to privately talk to someone regarding something they posted unless if they initiate it.

Could profile blocking be reduced in severity to only not allowing the viewing of your information, rather than outright blocking all communication?

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I feel it is excessive as well. It's not like being messaged is violating your informational privacy--you still have to give them information manually for that.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I can only support this! Not being able to contact someone really sucks.

It gives trolls the perfect premise to do their bad deeds.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking

I thought they were already separate though?
So unless you want to disable the option to turn off direct messages, Scribblehub already has it

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
It does, doesn't it? I have mine on default so I never checked. Still, perhaps it might be possible to add a bypass when "replying to" reviews?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
View attachment 1056
So unless you want to disable the option to turn off direct messages, Scribblehub already has it
That’s what’s frustrating! You can isolate yourself from the whole community, but still can post as much as you want.

Imagine you write a review and demanding for an explanation of something or you totally misinterpreted the content , but the author can’t answer your call. Or what happens, when the comment/review is succinctly/badly written, that an author needs further elaboration?

There is also an author, who I wanted to ask a question. But they don’t reply to comments and shut up their profile completely.

The communication is too one sided and it’s rather unproductive. Maybe a ping function with a one per day restriction will do the trick? :blob_hmm: Whether they will answer or not, will still depend on them though...

Ninetailed_Furball

View attachment 1056
Oh, must've forgotten that they were already separate. In that case I suppose I'm asking that the direct messages not be eligible for being blocked.

This all came about from a borderline troll review, as it complained about a legitimate issue that others have complained about, but proceeded to be entirely just about that one thing before ending the half-page review without being anything more than an angry rant.

Basically my only option to deal with it is to suck it up or report is pretty terrible when what I really want is actual feedback. It's just straight up not fair when people can yell at you one-siddedly and you're not allowed to respond in any way aside from asking to delete their message.

sak-chii

Professional Procrastinator (Writer)
agreed. tho it doesn't happen to me before

Ninetailed_Furball

I've been thinking a bit more on this today, and here's an alternative solution: if you block messages, then you can't send them either, including reviews.

Comments are probably okay, since you can respond directly to them, but when things are entirely one-sided, it gets frustrating.

Scribbler

How about a reply system for reviews like for comments?

I believe everyone has a right to review and say what they think, even if what they think may not be too agreeable.