Writing Pronoun

Ram5

How do you use Pronoun to help the reader not to get confused in the scene with so many characters involved?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

Yes, you mean. Pronouns are per definitionem a substitute of nouns and serve as a basic element of syntax and language. Now use logic and basic grammatical rules and you will find a solution to your problem. Epitheta help too in your case.

Ram5

Yes, you mean. Pronouns are per definitionem a substitute of nouns and serve as a basic element of syntax and language. Now use logic and basic grammatical rules and you will find a solution to your problem. Epitheta help too in your case.
I know what Pronoun is, I was kidding, but thank you for the advice.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
How do you use Pronoun to help the reader not to get confused in the scene with so many characters involved?
It depends on the scene, the characters involved and on who is doing the narration.

If for example, the scene involves the MC, a girl and a boy, it's usually pretty easy to refer to each person just by using "I", "him" and "her", but it's obviously not that easy when there are 4+ people involved or MC + 2 girls or MC + 2 boys.

You do have a few options though, referring to characters as "the former" and "the latter" in the middle of a sentence that they were already referenced is a way, for example.

At other times, just using the usual "he/she" or "him/her" will usually be clear on whom it is referencing due to context.

... And sometimes you might just need to use the same person's name multiple times in a sentence because nothing else works. It's annoying, but it's better than causing confusion.
? You mean basic language?
Honest question... Why are you even answering in this thread?

Like... OP is asking for help in writing, and what you did was to... Show off? Like, do you really think anything you said could help anyone out?

I mean, do whatever you want, but if someone is asking a question and you bother with making a reply, at least try actually helping the person in question?

Assurbanipal_II

I know what Pronoun is, I was kidding, but thank you for the advice.
Sorry, for being a bit disrespectful then. Your original question just let me think that you have no idea at all.

"How do you use Pronoun to help the reader not to get confused in the scene with so many characters involved?"

It is not clear what you mean and more information would help. Are you writing first or third person.

Ram5

Sorry, for being a bit disrespectful then. Your original question just let me think that you have no idea at all.

"How do you use Pronoun to help the reader not to get confused in the scene with so many characters involved?"

It is not clear what you mean and more information would help. Are you writing first or third person.
I am sorry too, I am writing in a third person.

Assurbanipal_II

I am sorry too, I am writing in a third person.

Then it is particularly easy. 1st person poses some challenges, but not third. You have to change between pronouns, "titles", and their names. For example, you can call a certain girl, lets say Tohru, "the girl".

She said ... She spoke ... She refused ...

Tohru said ... Tohru spoke ... Tohru refused ....

The girl said ... etc.

The important rule is only that a pronoun always refer to the last mentioned person. So if you introduce another character with a female pronoun, don't use the pronoun she and call her name first.

Mejiro

If in doubt, use their names, titles or other unique references to make it obvious. 'Sharon said "…", Steve said "..." and then Bob said "..."' is pretty transparent and obvious to read.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
And in case of the two characters talking having the same pronouns (aka the "gay fanfic" problem), just use their name. Turns out readers tune them out, and it doesn't read even a tenth as awkward as you'd assume!

Jemini

There are exceptions to what I'm about to say, but the rule of thumb is that the pronoun refers to the most recently mentioned proper noun. However, you SHOULD still make an effort to insert the proper noun at least once per paragraph if you happen to be going several paragraphs in a row without changing who the pronouns are referring to.

As for the exceptions to that rule, you will learn them as you read and write more and get some practice.

I'd probably kill everyone except the ones that count, that way I don't have to bother with a lot of characters.

Jokes aside, I don't think pronouns are that necessary if you can just summarize what they're doing, only putting their names when it counts. Otherwise, I just use some plural ones like they, these nibbas, or so.