Proofread & Edit (+ translate)

K_Jira

I've been writing for more than a year on this platform and I'm thinking of trying to make some money to support myself so that I can continue in becoming a writer. I'm not a professional proofreader or an editor, but I have experience editing my own stories. I want to try starting this as a side job, but I'm not exactly sure myself whether I'm good enough at doing it. That's why I want to give it a try here first.

My editing will be under the circumstances that it will be posted as a web novel on sites like SH that most readers open through their phones (in my opinion), so I'm also going to edit it paragraph-wise. I'm willing to try editing 1.5k words for free as a trial and see how it goes. Edit: This is more like to be my personal practice.

Also, I'm also open for translation for both English-Indonesian and Indonesian-English. For this, I'm willing to translate 500 words for free as a trial and if you're satisfied with it, my starting price will be 1$ per 1k words and it's negotiable.

If anyone is willing, you can DM me and send me the first 1.5k words of your story. I'm accepting any genre except for smut and payment is through PayPal. Thank you very much :blob_salute:

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That's an extremely low price. I suppose that's good if you're looking for experience. Be sure to use the internet when you have doubts about what you're going to correct and remember that sometimes it's good to break grammar rules for effect.

K_Jira

That's an extremely low price. I suppose that's good if you're looking for experience. Be sure to use the internet when you have doubts about what you're going to correct and remember that sometimes it's good to break grammar rules for effect.
Thanks for the advice!
Show examples of your work.
I can try editing one chapter of your work as a sample if you don't mind?

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
I will have to evaluate you before I officially acknowledge you as one of the editors in SH.

K_Jira

I'm not interested, thanks. But those who are interested might want to look at the examples of your editing.
I will have to evaluate you before I officially acknowledge you as one of the editors in SH.
Since this will be my first time, should I pick a random novel and show how I will edit it here?

Motsu

Since this will be my first time, should I pick a random novel and show how I will edit it here?
Hmm, why not? I'd like to know your thought process.

Although I'll choose a very basic short novel for you, which is...

Come In Spinner

K_Jira

What do either of these words mean?
To proofread and edit a story before its publication.

From google: Editing strategies focus on making the text more readable by assessing clarity, style, and citations, while proofreading strategies focus on eliminating errors and mistakes in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and formatting.

Eclectic_Asininity

To proofread and edit a story before its publication.

From google: Editing strategies focus on making the text more readable by assessing clarity, style, and citations, while proofreading strategies focus on eliminating errors and mistakes in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and formatting.
I was not being serious dawg.

Motsu

I was not being serious dawg.
Stop wasting other people's time with your useless question then. (lol)
Hey, sorry for the delay. I had some stuff to do yesterday. Here's the edited version of the Come In Spinner. I put it after the end of the original version.
Hmm, we've got a real problem with the way you presented the edited version.

To be completely honest, it just seems like you "paraphrased" the entire short story. In fact, when you consider it as a whole, it is significantly worse than the original. I also don't comprehend your point of view regarding the reasons why the structure was set up that way or why something was altered. I advise giving suggestions and then your own examples (if needed—which is to be more clearer towards your client) to the word, sentence, or paragraph in question rather than editing the entire text. Personally, I don't think I can actually let you roam around being paid with this type of quality given the current state of affairs. In addition, as you said, I believe you can try editing for free to have better experiences.

Your English proficiency is one of your biggest issues. Naturally, an editor's work may appear to be an attempt at paraphrasing, but in reality, their goal is to make a story readable and magnificent in the eyes of readers.

In order to make a good effort, I think it is about time you tried to find your own special method of editing, or the "flowchart" of editing. That's about all I have to say to you for the most part.

P.S. What you just did is not what editors do.

Last edited:

K_Jira

Stop wasting other people's time with your useless question then. (lol)

Hmm, we've got a real problem with the way you presented the edited version.

To be completely honest, it just seems like you "paraphrased" the entire short story. In fact, when you consider it as a whole, it is significantly worse than the original. I also don't comprehend your point of view regarding the reasons why the structure was set up that way or why something was altered. I advise giving suggestions and then your own examples (if needed—which is to be more clearer towards your client) to the word, sentence, or paragraph in question rather than editing the entire text. Personally, I don't think I can actually let you roam around being paid with this type of quality given the current state of affairs. In addition, as you said, I believe you can try editing for free to have better experiences.

Your English proficiency is one of your biggest issues. Naturally, an editor's work may appear to be an attempt at paraphrasing, but in reality, their goal is to make a story readable and magnificent in the eyes of readers.

In order to make a good effort, I think it is about time you tried to find your own special method of editing, or the "flowchart" of editing. That's about all I have to say to you for the most part.

P.S. What you just did is not what editors do.
Thank you for your feedback. Because I have no one I can ask for advice I've been hesitating about this. I'll keep this thread open if there's anyone who's interested to try for my personal practice.