Quesition?

Scaver

As someone who hasn't seen snow in their entire life and about to write a scene with snow all over the place, meaning writting about some snowy plains. So question is if a person is wearing normal clothing then how long would they be able to keep their consciousness and at what temperature? And would they be able to move?

Ofc keep in mind the temperature had to be enough to make the character lose conciousness by the end of it.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Play skyrim with survival mode on and go to the most northern point of the map.

or Google hypothermia for reference

“Hypothermia can develop in as little as five minutes in temperatures of minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit if you're not dressed properly and have exposed skin, especially the scalp, hands, fingers, and face, Glatter explained. At 30 below zero, hypothermia can set in in about 10 minutes.”

That's too vague of a question since there's a lot of factors involved. Honestly, you can just wing it and no one would complain. I've never met a ghost or a yōkai before and I still write them in my story.

Arkus86

As someone who hasn't seen snow in their entire life and about to write a scene with snow all over the place, meaning writting about some snowy plains. So question is if a person is wearing normal clothing then how long would they be able to keep their consciousness and at what temperature? And would they be able to move?

Ofc keep in mind the temperature had to be enough to make the character lose conciousness by the end of it.
Largely depends on what you consider normal clothing (normal for the weather at hand, normal for indoors at comfortable room temperature...), how active they are, whether they are wet...

ACertainPassingUser

Quesition ?

Tu veux dire une question? si vous parlez clairement! jean-foutre ! connard ! Putre !

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty? Will I be rich?
Here's what she said to me

Qué será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Qué será, será
What will be, will be

When I grew up and fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead?
Will we have rainbows day after day?
Here's what my sweetheart said

Qué será, será
Qué será, será
What will be, will be

Now I have children of my own
They ask their mother, what will I be
Will I be handsome? Will I be rich?
I tell them tenderly

Qué será, será
Qué será, será
What will be, will be
Qué será, será

Scaver

That's too vague of a question since there's a lot of factors involved. Honestly, you can just wing it and no one would complain. I've never met a ghost or a yōkai before and I still write them in my story.
I mean i wanted to make sure it made sense. My character is supposed to climb down a mountain and by the time he reaches his destination he would lose his conciousness. Why you ask? Because the plot demands!
Hey man the majority of people here have never been in a relationship, or even really talked to a women and look many of them are best selling novels without even understand the opposite sex. /s
Some incels are offended lol

Redemit

Well first of all the thing that will really get you is the wind it can be -20°f and windless outside and I'm ok to walk my dog for a few minutes without even wearing a shirt and in shorts but the moment there's even the slightest breeze all warmth will leave you
Second of all snow is very rarely "powdery" most of the time it's actually kinda dense and if it's cold enough it will begin to freeze the top most layer to form a sheet of ice

And finally snowy planes would look a lot like sand dunes except white
1673440113433.png

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation

Not long at all. Say it's minus 30 degrees Celsium (very cold degrees Farenheit). If you dress for summer and are outside you'd probably be out of it in ten minutes or less. You'd have to amputate your extremities because of freezing too.

I mean i wanted to make sure it made sense. My character is supposed to climb down a mountain and by the time he reaches his destination he would lose his conciousness. Why you ask? Because the plot demands!

Honestly, it sounds like he would end up dead instead of just losing his consciousness. Someone could faint from a long trek down a mountain from exhaustion alone, if he was dehydrated or starving. Cold weather would be an overkill, in my opinion.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Honestly, it sounds like he would end up dead instead of just losing his consciousness. Someone could faint from a long trek down a mountain from exhaustion alone, if he was dehydrated or starving. Cold weather would be an overkill, in my opinion.
Most people wouldn't be able to survive climbing down a hill in normal summer clothes let a lone a mountain during a white-out. People have died from walking to a neighbor's house during blizzards and whiteouts either due to the cold or just getting lost in the ever changing pure white hell.

Scaver

His losing conciousness haven't got anything with the cold in general. I want the scenes to take place in the ice land anyways. But since its cold i was curious about how long he should be able to keep his conciousness intact. So that i can say that the sun was down or some shit like that.
Most people wouldn't be able to survive climbing down a hill in normal summer clothes let a lone a mountain during a white-out. People have died from walking to a neighbor's house during blizzards and whiteouts either due to the cold or just getting lost in the ever changing pure white hell.
Not very big. Lets say few hundred meters. he can just slide down anyways.
Well first of all the thing that will really get you is the wind it can be -20°f and windless outside and I'm ok to walk my dog for a few minutes without even wearing a shirt and in shorts but the moment there's even the slightest breeze all warmth will leave you
Second of all snow is very rarely "powdery" most of the time it's actually kinda dense and if it's cold enough it will begin to freeze the top most layer to form a sheet of ice

And finally snowy planes would look a lot like sand dunes except white View attachment 16668
So can you stay all right for 1-2 hours?

Redemit

If there's no wind and your not actively rolling around in the snow and getting all wet? I'd say probably. especially if you're constantly on the move keeping your arms wrapped around your chest your blood flow will keep you pretty warm for quite awhile

I've personally shoveled my driveway at 4 am in -10°f with decent wind for 2 hrs I'd only ever take breaks to COOL off I'd open my coat up pull down my mask because I felt like I was gonna pass out from the HEAT.
your body when it's working produces a absolutely excessive amount of heat

But please don't misunderstand if you're character is going to be hiking/climbing down a mountain in those kind of temps with "summer clothes" he might make it but he will also definitely have hypothermia and be very very sick afterwards

Last edited:

Tempokai

Overworked One
Well, I have -20 Celsius right now (fresh snow had fallen two days straight), and the maximum I can walk outside for around 15 minutes without freezing much. I probably will freeze to death in hour or so if I don't move. So in your situation, it's around 0 Celsius, for around 30 minutes max, assuming that it's very light clothes.

very rarely "powdery"
That's true, it's only sometimes when it's snowing for long time with very small snowflakes. Usually big clumps fall for short time and it melts after a day, forming the sheet of very thin ice.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Not very big. Lets say few hundred meters. he can just slide down anyways.

Sliding down will be unlikely if the snow is fresh. If it's been there a long time then there's a good chance of snow filled pitfalls depending so sliding is even more dangerous. Even a few hundred meters could be deadly. I would suggest watching some winter survival video's for reference as they can describe the likelyhood of a person surviving similar situations.

Scaver

If there's no wind and your not actively rolling around in the snow and getting all wet? I'd say probably. especially if you're constantly on the move keeping your arms wrapped around your chest your blood flow will keep you pretty warm for quite awhile

I've personally shoveled my driveway at 4 am in -10°f with decent wind for 2 hrs I'd only ever take breaks to COOL off I'd open my coat up pull down my mask because I felt like I was gonna pass out from the HEAT.
your body when it's working produces a absolutely excessive amount of heat

But please don't misunderstand if you're character is going to be hiking/climbing down a mountain in those kind of temps with "summer clothes" he might make it but he will also definitely have hypothermia and be very very sick afterwards
So lets get this straight. My character is up in a hill, a rather flat one. Its about few hundreds meters high. From up there he sees human settlement down there. So he will try to reach it after all he would freeze to death otherwise. So he goes there. I am wanting him to reach there by the time its dark and then when he reaches he loses his consciousness. Since his feet should go inside the snow and thus he needs to drag himself there.

Everywhere is covered with snow and it doesn't melt so the temperature doesn't increase or decrease. Snow doesn't fall either.
Sliding down will be unlikely if the snow is fresh. If it's been there a long time then there's a good chance of snow filled pitfalls depending so sliding is even more dangerous. Even a few hundred meters could be deadly. I would suggest watching some winter survival video's for reference as they can describe the likelyhood of a person surviving similar situations.
Snow fresh? I mean its supposed to be some icy place where while it isn't snowing currently everything is covered in snow for a few months already and will continue to.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Someone can get hypothermia in 60F if it is raining and they are wearing plain clothing.

Also, if someone spends hours in subzero temps until they are about to pass out then the body tries to keep all the heat in the core. That means frostbite. Frostbite not treated properly leads to loosing fingers and toes or worse.