Question about copyright

tak

so in the "add series" section of scribble hub, there's a copyright dropdown. i looked into it, but i'm not sure if my understanding is right:
All Rights Reserved: you can only read this right here. (according to this page it has no legal power but idk if it's true)
Public Domain: you can do whatever you want with it! (copyright ownership waived according to this)
Creative Commons: you can share, use, and build upon a work that he or she (that author) has created. (quoted from wikipedia)

or in meme language:
is my understanding correct?

SpearOfLies

The all right reserved you require the author's permission to make any related work.(unless people are jerk you are a bit more free than that).
What you found simple state only that saying it doesn't longer have legal value because, unless stated differently, your work will be always All Rights Reserved to you.
The rest should be mostly correct.

tak

The all right reserved you require the author's permission to make any related work.(unless people are jerk you are a bit more free than that).
What you found simple state only that saying it doesn't longer have legal value because, unless stated differently, your work will be always All Rights Reserved to you.
The rest should be mostly correct.
thankyou!

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
so in the "add series" section of scribble hub, there's a copyright dropdown. i looked into it, but i'm not sure if my understanding is right:
All Rights Reserved: you can only read this right here. (according to this page it has no legal power but idk if it's true)
Public Domain: you can do whatever you want with it! (copyright ownership waived according to this)
Creative Commons: you can share, use, and build upon a work that he or she (that author) has created. (quoted from wikipedia)

or in meme language:
This helped clarify somethings for me too
So thanks~

D

Deleted member 45782

thanks. this helped clarify a bit what was public domain vs creative commons. :D

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

or in meme language:
Not really. While that is somewhat true, it doesn't define what All Rights Reserved means. All Rights Reserved, basically states that, "The usage of this work is reserved under the law regarding copyrights and the user of this article accepts that the copyright holder's ownership is upheld under every relevant law and that reproduction of this article outside of written permission by the copyright holder is against the law and can be acted upon."

It's not that it has no legal power. It's simply that under the Berne Convention, all writings or arts created are given copyright by default. So, All Rights Reserved clause is no longer necessary, because unlike before, now creators get copyright by default. Now, this may differ from country to country due to actual laws passed by the government, but basically all signatories of the Berne Convention For Literary And Artistic Works (which is almost all nations in UN except for a few such as Somalia) grants copyright by default. However, some jurisdiction, such as the EU, still require you by law to include All Rights Reserved in your copyright page if you want to distribute it.

Not really. There are things you can't do with it, such as making modifications to it and passing it off as the original work. An article can become public domain under two circumstances. One being that the creator expressly, with black and white, declares that their work is public domain and lets go of all ownership to the article in question. The other is if the work has already exceeded the length for copyright. That's why Sydney Sheldon's books are still copyrighted but Charles Dicken's books can be sold and reproduced without consulting anyone.

Creative Commons: you can share, use, and build upon a work that he or she (that author) has created. (quoted from wikipedia).
Yeah, more or less. The difference between Public Domain and Creative Commons is that works labelled under Creative Commons are still copyrighted. It's just you're allowed to use the work based on what the Creative Commons license entails. There are several levels of Creative Commons, not all allows unrestricted use of the copyrighted work.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums

or in meme language:
Wait, my book is available on here and webnovel.. can I still have it as all rights reserved?
Not really. While that is somewhat true, it doesn't define what All Rights Reserved means. All Rights Reserved, basically states that, "The usage of this work is reserved under the law regarding copyrights and the user of this article accepts that the copyright holder's ownership is upheld under every relevant law and that reproduction of this article outside of written permission by the copyright holder is against the law and can be acted upon."

It's not that it has no legal power. It's simply that under the Berne Convention, all writings or arts created are given copyright by default. So, All Rights Reserved clause is no longer necessary, because unlike before, now creators get copyright by default. Now, this may differ from country to country due to actual laws passed by the government, but basically all signatories of the Berne Convention For Literary And Artistic Works (which is almost all nations in UN except for a few such as Somalia) grants copyright by default. However, some jurisdiction, such as the EU, still require you by law to include All Rights Reserved in your copyright page if you want to distribute it.

Not really. There are things you can't do with it, such as making modifications to it and passing it off as the original work. An article can become public domain under two circumstances. One being that the creator expressly, with black and white, declares that their work is public domain and lets go of all ownership to the article in question. The other is if the work has already exceeded the length for copyright. That's why Sydney Sheldon's books are still copyrighted but Charles Dicken's books can be sold and reproduced without consulting anyone.

Creative Commons: you can share, use, and build upon a work that he or she (that author) has created. (quoted from wikipedia).
Yeah, more or less. The difference between Public Domain and Creative Commons is that works labelled under Creative Commons are still copyrighted. It's just you're allowed to use the work based on what the Creative Commons license entails. There are several levels of Creative Commons, not all allows unrestricted use of the copyrighted work.
Same as above

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Wait, my book is available on here and webnovel.. can I still have it as all rights reserved?

Same as above
All rights reserved refers purely to the author not the site itself. If the site claims your story, then you have signed some kind of exclusive contract with the site. That’s what Webnovel is doing. Do not mix it up with their non-exclusive contracts that they are throwing out to everyone to get more stories on their site.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
All rights reserved refers purely to the author not the site itself. If the site claims your story, then you have signed some kind of exclusive contract with the site. That’s what Webnovel is doing. Do not mix it up with their non-exclusive contracts that they are throwing out to everyone to get more stories on their site.
Oh, Thanks!