Question about Yaoi and Yuri.

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42060

This may sound like I’m assuming, but why is it that girls tend to like both Yaoi and Yuri, but boys tend to like Yuri more than Yaoi? (Personally, I don't like Yuri.) I could’ve rephrased that question like “straight boys can never like Yaoi, but straight girls can like Yuri”—but I dropped that generalization altogether since there are straight boys who like Yaoi, albeit just a few of them (who knows, but this is only my observation). What do you think? Is it because men aren’t too comfortable with their own sexuality? Or maybe straight boys who love BL are too scared to reveal their fetishes? Please cure my ignorance.​

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This may sound like I’m assuming, but why is it that girls tend to like both Yaoi and Yuri, but boys tend to like Yuri more than Yaoi? (Personally, I don't like Yuri.) I could’ve rephrased that question like “straight boys can never like Yaoi, but straight girls can like Yuri”—but I dropped that generalization altogether since there are straight boys who like Yaoi, albeit just a few of them (who knows, but this is only my observation). What do you think? Is it because men aren’t too comfortable with their own sexuality? Or maybe straight boys who love BL are too scared to reveal their fetishes? Please cure my ignorance.​
Cuz yaoi is gay

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
i think it's something rooted in the primal subconscious, just like how most guys wouldnt touch NTR with a 50k foot pole. It strikes a chord that produces a distinct feeling of rejection for that type of media (the stereotype of BL being largely dubcon/noncon hardcore sex may also play into it).

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
uhhh. this is a tactless question but, are you a boy or a girl?
(don't answer that btw)

homophobic is a thing, and it's mostly stronger among guy and their circles. there's also the fact that normally most male would feel *blergh when they saw 2 males are flirting with each other.

it's more about biological instinct

and also if a guy are being seen reading stuff with only boys in it, it could actually invite some prejudice. even if it's something as mild as Kuroko no Basket.
so even if a guy actually liking those stuff, most of them wouldn't be so open about it because that would incite unpleasant feeling and misunderstanding among guy acquaintance.

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
I believe it is more that more girls are open about likening both yaoi and yuri. In most places it is seen as strange for a straight guy to read a story about gay men. While it is less strange, for some reason, for a straight woman to read a story about lesbian women.
As for why it is not seen as strange for them to read about homosexual relationships about the opposite gender, I leave for you to find out.

Last edited:

Owl

Nervous writer
Well, this isn't a for-certain answer of course, but.
In reality, if I listen to guys noticing gays, many go "ewww" and "I hope he's not interested in me" like they're being threatened by the mere existence of someone gay. Meanwhile, most girls around lesbians just didn't react at all. No feeling of "if I am around these people, something could happen to me."
It almost seems like guys feel like acknowledging that something gay isn't dangerous is a bad thing for them.
(Not a general answer, but might be the explanation for some people at least. Pretty sure there's various things playing into it.)

Personally, as a girl, I like both yaoi and yuri. Yaoi because, hey, there's two hot guys which is better than one. Yuri because I just like looking at cute girls acting cute.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Probably culture.

Reality shows that many cultures are homophobic or have homophobic tendencies indoctrinated in their education.

It depends entirely of social milieu. I’ve seen a lot girls who thought it was weird when they think about gays kissing each other too. They certainly wouldn’t touch BL, probably no GL either.

I’ve recommended some guys a few BL books. There were guys who liked it and got into BL while others didn’t ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s just less likely for guys to get BL recommended, so the numbers of guys liking BL is smaller too. When so many other guys are very vocal about disliking BL it’s kinda hard to openly like BL.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
This is a random guess, so no guarantee towards it being the sole explanation or correct in the first place, but here's my take.

In a hetero-normative context, which I think most straight people live in to at least some extend, men's role is to pursue women while women's role is to make men interested through subtle attractiveness. Both roles can be shitty in their own ways, but that's unrelated.
Essentially, you have a proactive vs. rejective agency.

As a straight woman in this, nothing changes either way. If the other is proactive you're courted like you would have been by a man while you basically miss each other if not. You might not like being courted by women, but that's about them, not you or your ability to live up to role expectations.

As a straight man on the other hand you could feel your proactivity challenged by being sought after.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
In my experience, yaoi is more about fetishizing gay relationships (I'm going to piss off sooo many people with this one, but that's my experience. I may be wrong), and fetishizing men too (forceful rapey sems and weak and submissive ukes are a trope for one). Maybe that's why men generally don't like it?

SailusGebel

Men actually do read yaoi if one of the boys looks like a woman, basically a trap character. But not every yaoi has a trap character as their mc, and it's not that easy to visualize basically a girl who happens to have a dick. The requirements for men to read yaoi are much stricter than for women to read yuri, at least I think like that.

dudes need an incentive to read something. if there's no girls present, they're most likely not going to bother.

Men actually do read yaoi if one of the boys looks like a woman, basically a trap character. But not every yaoi has a trap character as their mc, and it's not that easy to visualize basically a girl who happens to have a dick. The requirements for men to read yaoi are much stricter than for women to read yuri, at least I think like that.
traps are not gay bro

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
From what I have heard on nuf, bl/yaoi is tends to be like "shoujo but 2 boys" and is aimed at fujoshis. The bl aimed at boys are much different or something - and those tend to be niche and have almost no female readers.

For yuri, well, it too is quite "shoujo but 2 girls" and as such appeals to both.

SailusGebel

you're in fact wrong. it's scientifically proven that traps are not gay.
please do your research before spreading misinformation, thank you.
Once again, it doesn't matter if traps are gay or not. You are gay, it's all that matters.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
From what I have heard on nuf, bl/yaoi is tends to be like "shoujo but 2 boys" and is aimed at fujoshis. The bl aimed at boys are much different or something - and those tend to be niche and have almost no female readers.

For yuri, well, it too is quite "shoujo but 2 girls" and as such appeals to both.
The trend for BL is the other though. More and more BL is going away from shoujo.

I’d say most male BL readers are just not as vocal about it as other. The BL_Palace has quite a number of male readers/authors, they are just not as vocal or active as our female/non-binary BL lovers.