Question for readers

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Do reviews on a story, impact your chance of picking up a story? If so, how large of a factor is if?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
No, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised when a book comes in the mail and I realize the author is a kindred spirit.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Yeah, especially in NUF where dudes say that they read into the latest chapters and reviewed the bulk.

Though to be fair, if the synopsis clicks with me, I wouldn't bother with the reviews and just go straight into it.

Akasora

Though to be fair, if the synopsis clicks with me, I wouldn't bother with the reviews and just go straight into it.
Same, although if I saw something like "MC isn't like the other people" or "MC will be fairly op but he will have hardship" on synopsis as an author note I just nope out of them. They already broke one of the most important rule of writing "show don't tell" so I have no confidence on their writing.

Proctor

Reviews do have an influence over whether or not I'll pick something up, but it's usually when I'm on the fence about the story in question and the story is bulky as hell in word count. Say what you will about the lack of reviews in general, but usually a long lasting story has that 'one' review that lets you know if there are any extra surprises the story has you might not like (some authors don't tag controversial stuff when they should), or does a better job hooking you in than the actual synopsis (lol).

I'm a lot more lenient on newer stories in comparison and tend to give them a chance if I'm unsure, though I guess it's to be expected since there isn't enough content to drop a comprehensive review on. Though sometimes you don't need more than a couple of chapters to know if something is going to click with you... or if the story is going to give you an aneurysm trying to decode its grammar. :ROFLMAO:

SailusGebel

Yes. It depends on the story's tags, rating, synopsis, length, and the content of the reviews. If all the tags and synopsis match what I want to read, the length is appropriate(to me), and the rating is appropriate(to me), then the reviews won't affect too much unless there is a huge disparity with the ratings and reviews. For example, if majority of the most liked reviews are trashing the novel, and I find the way they are trashing it appropriate, I won't read the novel.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Nope. I like taking chances. And not using my time to read reviews that are mostly biased in one way or another.

I go synopsis>tags>3 chapters