Writing Question: How do I release something that isn't a chapter? (No novelupdates posting)

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Problem: I want to release something that isn't a chapter (author note, recent news, illustrations) and I don't want it to show up on novelupdates advertising because it would be silly for people to click on it only to find I posted a picture. Is it possible to do this? I'll give an example down below.

I want to post a small update to my readers about my title illustration. I want to add some author comments and show my old and new illustration, but it's not an official chapter so I don't want it to show up in the advertising because it's just a little extra update.

Yorth

Swordman
For illustrations, glossaries are a thing. If you want to make an update that tackles a lot of stuff that you want to pass across but is not a chapter, just post it as a chapter. If people do come and click on your story from novelupdate, they'll most likely check out your first chapters before your later ones. If the people that clicked on your story for novelupdate are readers of yours, then all good, you want them to check out your update, don't you?

Yorda

Right, right a glossary would work. It's true that I want views, but I don't wanna abuse it. >.<

Hmmm, but it might be an okay idea to suggest another option other than "ADD CHAPTER" in the "Suggestions & Bug Reports" section.

Yorda

For illustrations, glossaries are a thing. If you want to make an update that tackles a lot of stuff that you want to pass across but is not a chapter, just post it as a chapter. If people do come and click on your story from novelupdate, they'll most likely check out your first chapters before your later ones. If the people that clicked on your story for novelupdate are readers of yours, then all good, you want them to check out your update, don't you?

Thank you. Using a glossary is clever!

Pistachio

You can also try editing your previous chapter and add the News, Author Note etc (seen at the top of the text box). It’s also okay if you put up a new chapter but make sure to say in the title that it’s an author update or note i.e “A/N: Dear Readers, Your Attention Please” or simply, “Announcements”.

Hope that helps.

Yorda

Maybe I could also just dedicate one chapter (name it something like Recent News), and just update it over and over for minor things.

Edit 2019/10/10
I did the idea mentioned above. I named it "[My Series Name] - Logs".

An Odd Rose - Logs

*There's a small description at the top explaining the purpose of the logs
*There's an more in-depth explanation at the very bottom
*Each entry is dated and given a title
*Spoilers are used to condense the entries so people don't have to scroll through mountains of text

I feel it works pretty good.

Last edited: