Question

Oreo

If, hypothetically speaking, a burglar barge into your house then die because of a throwing knife (their own weapon), whose fault is it? Is it the burglar's fault for barging into your home, bringing the knife, not dodging the knife, or removing the knife from the wounds causing more blood loss? Is it the knife's fault for causing the wound or is it your fault for throwing the knife? The burglar is armed with the throwing knife they buy from online stores btw (the same model used in a failed assassination against a minister in my country last year)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

If, hypothetically speaking, a burglar barge into your house then die because of a throwing knife (their own weapon), whose fault is it? Is it the burglar's fault for barging into your home, bringing the knife, not dodging the knife, or removing the knife from the wounds causing more blood loss? Is it the knife's fault for causing the wound or is it your fault for throwing the knife? The burglar is armed with the throwing knife they buy from online stores btw (the same model used in a failed assassination against a minister in my country last year)
Depends on the laws of your country.

Let's say it happened in mine. Our criminal laws will fault the burglar because, before everything else, he is trespassing. The owner has all the rights to defend himself, even if it ends in the killing of the burglar (homicide).

But, it's a different matter if the owner disables the burglar, then priceeds to torture him till he's dead. For that, it is elevated to murder, and the owner can be charged with it.

Also, by default, if the burglar is caught, and in the ensuing fight, the owner disables/kills him, he should report it immediately to the police and surrender the weapon for investigation.

If the owner decides to let days pass and he hides the corpse, that can also end up in murder charges against the owner.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
yeah, depends on the view your country takes. There was a guy here who shot a burglar dead. He got off prison, but only because of public outrage. It was seen as 'unreasonable' force.
Now, what we were told by police here after a break-in, was to get a pan of oil on the stove. That way, when they do get in, your reflexes will just hoy the pan at them. It's not a weapon per se. Just a very bad and unfortunate accident. If they hit their head on an anvil on the way down...well, shucks

LilRora

Mostly formless
Well, in some countries, technically, if you attack a person who broke into your house in self-defense, you can be punished by law. Where I live, if you severly hurt or kill someone who broke into your house and threatens you with weapons, you are fully legilible for prison sentence, because you exceeded what's reasonable for self-defense.

In the situation you're talking about, if you ask me, the burglar is responsible, because he intruded your property and you were defending yourself. If you ask the law, well, stranger things have been proven in courts.

Mephi

From a legal standpoint (because I studied law for my state in school, so that's my go to)The burgler's. Even if you, the home owner, stabbed the burgler, its the burgler's fault. They brought a lethal weapon into play, ergo they are the ones who brought the potential for lethal harm into the situation.

its called the Castle Doctrine. the idea is that your home is the safest place you can retreat to, and if you are threatened there, you have all the right to do whatever you can to protect yourself.

Self defense laws get wonky, honestly, because they generally do not account for adrenaline. Laws have a tendacy to expect people to act like robots - perfectly able to analyze situations on a moment-by-moment basis and to turn themselves off at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Depends on where you are and what weapon laws there are. Some places have really dumb laws that punishes the victim for defending themselves or having a weapon more powerful than their attacker.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
The burglar's fault. He broke into someone's house with a deadly weapon, he was threatening the life of the homeowner. The homeowner merely protected himself from harm.

Redemit

yeah, depends on the view your country takes. There was a guy here who shot a burglar dead. He got off prison, but only because of public outrage. It was seen as 'unreasonable' force.
Now, what we were told by police here after a break-in, was to get a pan of oil on the stove. That way, when they do get in, your reflexes will just hoy the pan at them. It's not a weapon per se. Just a very bad and unfortunate accident. If they hit their head on an anvil on the way down...well, shucks
Yeah because the burglar is just going to wait for you to heat up some oil to throw at them :blob_facepalm:
Just say you were taking a nap and thought the screaming was a dream and didn't know till you woke up

Macha

Not a Klutz
You are allowed to defend yourself in a manner proportional to the threat. If you do, you will not be convicted for the consequences to the attacker.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Burglars fault all the way around.

If I read your question correctly, the burglar brought the knife, but you threw and it hit him.

I mean, let’s talk circumstances here. If you were able to take and disarm a knife from the burglar you probably don’t have to stab him. If he kept fighting then yeah, just make sure you stab in the head then mess up the place and say you struggled and tried to spare him.

Deadmen tell no tales.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on how carefully they did it.