Question

Reinaislost

Miss Direction
Can a person be so good at lying that they end up believing their own lies?
It's possible, and can also be a very effective tool for self-improvement. However, you don't need to be an extraordinary liar for that. By repeating affirmations to yourself, for example, "I am a good person," enough time, and displaying false kindness to others (as well as being around people you consider to be good), the brain can be programmed to adopt these beliefs and behaviors. This, however, needs a lot of dedication and commitment.

If you want to adopt an author mindset, for instance, but find yourself distracted easily, I don't think this is going to work well for you.
only psychopaths use 24hrs instead of am/pm
Eh, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's convenient, if anything, as I don't need to add AM or PM each time I mention it to my foreign friends.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
People lie to themselves all the time, like me telling myself I will stop binging YouTube and get back to writing. Or telling yourself one more game won't hurt
Or telling myself I won't buy any more toys for my kid for a certain period of time, but then something I kinda need comes up, so I add toys to the cart to meet the minimum order, and then the site gives me a coupon bundle that expires tomorrow, so now I've got birthday and Christmas presents for the next six years.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Are you one of those "my truth" types?
HOLY FUCK. YOU ARE. Dear ME the problem is when people like you BUTCHER the english language.

A Lie is a VERY SPECIFIC THING.

It must be Technically untrue, Spiritual Untrue, Deliberately Untrue, And you must have the INTENT to deceive.

Let use give examples:

1. "The Dress doesn't make you look fat." (Because the FAT makes you look fat.)

This statement is Spiritually untrue, but technically true. I also KNOW I giving a false impression and I am intending to deceive. This is NOT A LIE.

It is a deception. Technically true, I am attempting to DECEIVE someone, by stating a "truth". I am only stating PART of the truth.

2. "I am hungry as a horse."
This statement is technically untrue. I am not a horse, I cannot be as hungry as one. However, the spirit of the statement is true, I am very hungry and you understand my meaning. I am not stating something I know is untrue, and I have no intent to deceive. This is a METAPHOR.

3. In 1493, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea. That is when he discovered America.

My statement is neither Spiritual or Technically true, however, I honestly BELIEVE this. I am not intending to deceive you. This is simply an incorrect statement. I am just WRONG. Being wrong is not a lie.

4. "So I walked up to my brother and asked him, 'Is that A Walrus'?" (A Comedian telling a joke.)

Are jokes lies? One might think they are. Often the Comedian just stands up there and spouts a bunch of shit. HOWEVER, he is also A COMEDIAN ON STAGE IN A COMEDY CLUB. If you don't EXPECT to be lied to, yer an idiot. The Comedian is not lying, because he has no intension of convincing you he is telling the truth. It's just fiction. This applies to any form of entertainment. Fiction is FICTION. It isn't TRUE, but it isn't a LIE because nobody is trying to get you to believe it.

5. Opinions are never lies.

For example, I feel the world is flat.

Is this a lie? No. Because when I look out the window, it sure feels flat to me. I know it is round, but the optical illusion of the way the world is, it can FEEL flat. Now if I tell you a false opinion, technically my opinion can change very quickly. Because we cannot see inside people's heads, we have to assume they are 'true', however, we must also assume that the opinion is MEANINGLESS. When someone says, "I Think, I Feel, I Believe, I know" then whatever they say is Bullshit.

These are weasel words that make whatever you say afterwords meaningless. Yes, it's TRUE, but it doesn't matter. When someone uses weasel words, they are appealing to their REPUTATION. What do you think about the honor and integrity of the person making the statement. This goes for any commercial endorsements. A star says, "I buy Berts Bees. Buy Bert's Bees" This is their opinion and you should value that opinion based on how you value the person making the statement.

However, in a court of law, it don't mean shit.

So. Knowing all this, HOW COULD YOU LIE TO YOURSELF?

I must make the statement with the intent to deceive myself. However, how can I, If I KNOW what I am saying isn't true?
If I believe what I am saying to myself is true, Then I am NOT TRYING TO DECEIVE MYSELF, BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT.

It has a VERY specific term: Self-Deception.

This differs from just deception. Normal Deception is an attempt to misdirect someone to believe an untruth, without technically lying. This can be done by making leading statements, or omiting important details, or asking leading questions.

Did Ed Kill Jill?

That's a QUESTION, not a statement. If it isn't a statement, it cannot be a lie.

Self-Deception is different from normal deception in that you believe X, but you make no attempt to disprove it. You don't test yourself. Like a feminist believes that women make 75% of men, when the latest data from the labor department shows that women under 30 make 103% of men, and as you go older, it dips down to 92%, with a total aggregate among working age women and men of 96% and climbing every year.

When confronted with these DOCUMENTED AND PROVABLE FACTS, the average feminist says, "NUH-UH" and just assumes you are lying and remains WILLFULLY IGNORANT.

Or Self-Deception.

This is also related to selection bias, where people will trust people's OPINIONS over FACTS.
"I don't care what they tell you. My Grandma said Cleopatra was black"

Shit like this is Self-Decepton. The person BELIEVES everything they are saying, but are wrong. However, they have no desire to accept anything that goes against their world view. It is NOT a lie, because they TRUELY believe it.

Then we come to the person who can accept two contradictory facts at the same time in their head.
"I Love You"
"I Am Only Trying To Get A Free Dinner Out Of You"

This is called Cognitive Dissonance. It is a FORM of Self-deception, but still self-deception. It is when you hold two completely contradictory facts in your head at the same time and accept both as true. Basically what you have to do if you are a Russian soldier every single day.

IF I tell the truth, I will Be Shot.
I will Lie about my successes, and the story will become "truth".

So what IS a lie? "I am six foot four." (On my dating profile)

I am six foot zero. This is technically, spiritually, intentionally untrue, and I am trying to deceive someone.

Understand?

Last edited:

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist • African Warlord
HOLY FUCK. YOU ARE. Dear ME the problem is when people like you BUTCHER the english language.

It must be Technically untrue, Spiritual Untrue, Deliberately Untrue, And you must have the INTENT to deceive.

Let use give examples:

This statement is Spiritually untrue, but technically true. I also KNOW I giving a false impression and I am intending to deceive. This is NOT A LIE.

It is a deception. Technically true, I am attempting to DECEIVE someone, by stating a "truth". I am only stating PART of the truth.

This statement is technically untrue. I am not a horse, I cannot be as hungry as one. However, the spirit of the statement is true, I am very hungry and you understand my meaning. I am not stating something I know is untrue, and I have no intent to deceive. This is a METAPHOR.

3. In 1493, Columbus sailed the deep blue sea. That is when he discovered America.

My statement is neither Spiritual or Technically true, however, I honestly BELIEVE this. I am not intending to deceive you. This is simply an incorrect statement. I am just WRONG. Being wrong is not a lie.

4. "So I walked up to my brother and asked him, 'Is that A Walrus'?" (A Comedian telling a joke.)

Are jokes lies? One might think they are. Often the Comedian just stands up there and spouts a bunch of shit. HOWEVER, he is also A COMEDIAN ON STAGE IN A COMEDY CLUB. If you don't EXPECT to be lied to, yer an idiot. The Comedian is not lying, because he has no intension of lying to you. It's just fiction. This applies to any form of entertainment. Fiction is FICTION. It isn't TRUE, but it isn't a LIE because nobody is trying to get you to believe it.

Is this a lie? No. Because when I look out the window, it sure feels flat to me. I know it is round, but the optical illusion of the way the world is, it can FEEL flat. Now if I tell you a false opinion, technically my opinion can change very quickly. Because we cannot see inside people's heads, we have to assume they are 'true', however, we must also assume that the opinion is MEANINGLESS. When someone says, "I Think, I Feel, I Believe, I know" then whatever they say is Bullshit.

These are weasel words that make whatever you say afterwords meaningless. Yes, it's TRUE, but it doesn't matter. When someone uses weasel words, they are appealing to their REPUTATION. What do you think about the honor and integrity of the person making the statement. This goes for any commercial endorsements. A star says, "I buy Berts Bees. Buy Bert's Bees" This is their opinion and you should value that opinion based on how you value the person making the statement.

I must make the statement with the intent to deceive myself. However, how can I, If I KNOW what I am saying isn't true?
If I believe what I am saying to myself is true, Then I am NOT TRYING TO DECEIVE MYSELF, BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT.

This differs from just deception. Normal Deception is an attempt to misdirect someone to believe an untruth, without technically lying. This can be done by making leading statements, or omiting important details, or asking leading questions.

Did Ed Kill Jill?

That's a QUESTION, not a statement. If it isn't a statement, it cannot be a lie.

Self-Deception is different from normal deception in that you believe X, but you make no attempt to disprove it. You don't test yourself. Like a feminist believes that women make 75% of men, when the latest data from the labor department shows that women under 30 make 103% of men, and as you go older, it dips down to 92%, with a total aggregate among working age women and men of 96% and climbing every year.

When confronted with these DOCUMENTED AND PROVABLE FACTS, the average feminist says, "NUH-UH" and just assumes you are lying and remains WILLFULLY IGNORANT.

Or Self-Deception.

This is also related to selection bias, where people will trust people's OPINIONS over FACTS.

Shit like this is Self-Decepton. The person BELIEVES everything they are saying, but are wrong. However, they have no desire to accept anything that goes against their world view. It is NOT a lie, because they TRUELY believe it.

Then we come to the person who can accept two contradictory facts at the same time in their head.
"I Love You"

This is called Cognitive Dissonance. It is a FORM of Self-deception, but still self-deception. It is when you hold two completely contradictory facts in your head at the same time and accept both as true. Basically what you have to do if you are a Russian soldier every single day.

I am six foot zero. This is technically, spiritually, intentionally untrue, and I am trying to deceive someone.

Understand?
Verily, thou hast spoken true, good Sir. Thy eloquent elucidation upon the intricacies of falsehood and such artful deception doth merit thee the highest accolades, akin to the renowned Nobel prize.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!

Let use give examples:

Are jokes lies? One might think they are. Often the Comedian just stands up there and spouts a bunch of shit. HOWEVER, he is also A COMEDIAN ON STAGE IN A COMEDY CLUB. If you don't EXPECT to be lied to, yer an idiot. The Comedian is not lying, because he has no intension of convincing you he is telling the truth. It's just fiction. This applies to any form of entertainment. Fiction is FICTION. It isn't TRUE, but it isn't a LIE because nobody is trying to get you to believe it.

Did Ed Kill Jill?

Or Self-Deception.

"I Love You"

Understand?
TLDR: So I can lie to myself? Or no?

D

Deleted member 113259

Let use give examples:

Did Ed Kill Jill?

Or Self-Deception.

"I Love You"

Understand?
What's with the theatrics? Could have simply said it's not a lie because there's no intent. That seems to be what you're mainly arguing.

Still, there is intent. Someone can intend to lie but then be so stupid that they believe it and become delusional.

That was the main point I was making. Just because you're dumb enough to fall for your own lie doesn't mean it stops being a lie.

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
Wait, let me expand on the question. Let's say a person started lying and knew he/she was lying to another person or a group of people. Then, enough time passed. Let's say years or decades, and that person forgot that they were lying and started believing and acting as if their lie was true? Is there a clinical condition for that? Some psychological condition? I need it for research...

ScribbleHub Covers.jpg

Agentt

Thighs
Or telling myself I won't buy any more toys for my kid for a certain period of time, but then something I kinda need comes up, so I add toys to the cart to meet the minimum order, and then the site gives me a coupon bundle that expires tomorrow, so now I've got birthday and Christmas presents for the next six years.
Capitalism is good at manipulation...

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
I disagree with all of you saying it is possible to lie to yourself.

You can't deceive yourself.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
What's with the theatrics? Could have simply said it's not a lie because there's no intent. That seems to be what you're mainly arguing.

Still, there is intent. Someone can intend to lie but then be so stupid that they believe it and become delusional.

That was the main point I was making. Just because you're dumb enough to fall for your own lie doesn't mean it stops being a lie.
My problem is, THIS IS A WRITING FORUM.

You know, most of you are supposed to be writers. If a writer cannot use the language correctly, then how can he get better at his craft. Every word has a definition, a purpose, a meaning and while 'light red' and 'pink' might be the same thing, they have very subtle differences in meaning and intent. The choice to use one or the other changes what you are writing. You are a wordsmith and I expect that if you are choosing this calling, that you at least try to get good at it.

There are four aspects that are needed for a lie to be a lie. This applies in a COURT OF LAW. The difference between deception and a lie is monumental. And before you say, nuance doesn't matter, then let me ask you this:

Why is there Murder, Manslaugher, and Negligent Homocide when the criminal basically kills someone in each case?

Intent matters. Definitions matter. Results matter. Method Matters.

You cannot be dumb enough to "fall for your own lie", because if you do, you believe it, and by definition, you are not lying.

For example, Someone posts 'If you microwave your cell phone, it will recharge.'

You do that. You cellphone explodes. Can you win a civil court case against the person?
Well, if he was LYING, then yes. If he believed what he was giving as good advice, well, it'll be a lot harder to win.

If you write your book using definitions that are wrong and make wrong assumptions about how the human mind works, how in Saint John Moses Browning's name will you figure out how to write a compelling character?

In your own words, "Someone can Lie but then become delusional" THEY ARE NOW DELUSIONAL. THEY ARE NO LONGER LYING. The fact you think this doesn't matter, that you can play fast and loose with language and it won't fuck up your writing is the problem. I'm sure you believe what you are saying is true, even though you are wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that it will cause damage to people.

Someone might believe your bad advice and in the end, pay a price.

Don't Microwave your cell phone.
Understand the nuances of Truth and Falsehoods.

D

Deleted member 113259

My problem is, THIS IS A WRITING FORUM.

You know, most of you are supposed to be writers. If a writer cannot use the language correctly, then how can he get better at his craft. Every word has a definition, a purpose, a meaning and while 'light red' and 'pink' might be the same thing, they have very subtle differences in meaning and intent. The choice to use one or the other changes what you are writing. You are a wordsmith and I expect that if you are choosing this calling, that you at least try to get good at it.

There are four aspects that are needed for a lie to be a lie. This applies in a COURT OF LAW. The difference between deception and a lie is monumental. And before you say, nuance doesn't matter, then let me ask you this:

Why is there Murder, Manslaugher, and Negligent Homocide when the criminal basically kills someone in each case?

Intent matters. Definitions matter. Results matter. Method Matters.

You cannot be dumb enough to "fall for your own lie", because if you do, you believe it, and by definition, you are not lying.

For example, Someone posts 'If you microwave your cell phone, it will recharge.'

You do that. You cellphone explodes. Can you win a civil court case against the person?
Well, if he was LYING, then yes. If he believed what he was giving as good advice, well, it'll be a lot harder to win.

If you write your book using definitions that are wrong and make wrong assumptions about how the human mind works, how in Saint John Moses Browning's name will you figure out how to write a compelling character?

In your own words, "Someone can Lie but then become delusional" THEY ARE NOW DELUSIONAL. THEY ARE NO LONGER LYING. The fact you think this doesn't matter, that you can play fast and loose with language and it won't fuck up your writing is the problem. I'm sure you believe what you are saying is true, even though you are wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that it will cause damage to people.

Someone might believe your bad advice and in the end, pay a price.

Don't Microwave your cell phone.
Understand the nuances of Truth and Falsehoods.
Ok. Writing perspective.

Instead of writing "He was so stupid that he started to believe his own lies." What is the correct way to write that phrase?

zephyrzane

I do know someone who believed their own lies, yes. However, I also believe that the mental health of that person was extraordinarily poor.