Writing Looking for terms you dont know or forgot

erintesden

I noticed there was no simmilar threads so I thought it would be a good idea.

It's common that while writting, sometimes you want to use a specific word but can't remember or found it no matter how much you try... Or, maybe you are looking to know if there even exist a particular word for a particular action, place, object, etc.

And making a full thread to make question that can be answered with a single word is dumb. So I was thinking we could share this thread between all of us.

So if you want to know a particular word and just looking it up isn't helping, then simply asking it here.

In my case, I'm writing a novel with a medieval setting, and wanted to know if there was a particular name for the zones where people practice with swords. You know, big spaces to people to spar against each other, or hit dummies. How are those places called?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I noticed there was no simmilar threads so I thought it would be a good idea.

It's common that while writting, sometimes you want to use a specific word but can't remember or found it no matter how much you try... Or, maybe you are looking to know if there even exist a particular word for a particular action, place, object, etc.

And making a full thread to make question that can be answered with a single word is dumb. So I was thinking we could share this thread between all of us.

So if you want to know a particular word and just looking it up isn't helping, then simply asking it here.

In my case, I'm writing a novel with a medieval setting, and wanted to know if there was a particular name for the zones where people practice with swords. You know, big spaces to people to spar against each other, or hit dummies. How are those places called?
Training areas? Like a courtyard?

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
hello, i'm looking for a term for "it's a theory about if someone are doing excellent at certain job, it doesn't means they'll perform as excellent if they're given a higher position/responsibility at the same exact company"

i kinda remember it sounds like layman/penrath/joesomething theory

edit : nvm i found it, it's Peter Principle

Last edited:

erintesden

hello, i'm looking for a term for "it's a theory about if someone are doing excellent at certain job, it doesn't means they'll perform as excellent if they're given a higher position/responsibility at the same exact company"

i kinda remember it sounds like layman/penrath/joesomething theory

edit : nvm i found it, it's Peter Principle
A teacher of mine made a lot of jokes about that. He called it the principle of mediocrity.