Questions to ask before marriage

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
When I read stories of failed marriages, it makes me wonder why the people involved didn't discuss certain things before getting married. While I'm sure that certain unforeseen events may arise, and it's impossible to cover ALL your bases, here are some things I'm glad I discussed with my husband before marriage:

• Is this marriage going to be monogamous or non-monogamous?
  • Who is responsible for making the money?
  • Who is responsible for taking care of the home?
  • Do you want kids?
    • If so, how many?
    • Are you willing to care for an "oops baby" from an extramarital partner?
    • What happens if the fetus has a trisomy of a severe abnormality?
    • Are you willing to adopt?

What are some topics of discussion you think that people considering marriage should address?

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Uh, the most important thing before kids... or anything is...
  • Can I live with this person?
I am a firm believer in living together first before marriage. It should be 5 years at least. This is the person who you will see 24/7, so you better be able to live with all the bad. Everyone has unpleasant sides, so don't go into marriage thinking this is the perfect partner. That is impossible. There will be fights, and times you disagree.

I had a friend whose 3-year relationship fell apart 1 year into living together. She was dumb and wanted to get married before living together. Thankfully, I convinced her otherwise.

Why the fuck are we doing this in the first place?
A lot of younger couples get married just to get married... and a few months later, they realize they never really wanted it...
Advice Owl! :blob_aww:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
When I read stories of failed marriages, it makes me wonder why the people involved didn't discuss certain things before getting married. While I'm sure that certain unforeseen events may arise, and it's impossible to cover ALL your bases, here are some things I'm glad I discussed with my husband before marriage:

• Do you want kids?
    • If so, how many?

What are some topics of discussion you think that people considering marriage should address?
Why are you even trying to get married to begin with?

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation

• Do you want kids?
    • If so, how many?

No need for addressing these questions, people should try being in a non-formal relationship for like, at least, 3 years, preferably more. Most of the questions would get addressed during this time one way or another

K5Rakitan

I am a firm believer in living together first before marriage. It should be 5 years at least.
I would agree that it should be 5 years at least if you've never lived with a romantic partner previously. However, when you're almost 30 and your biological clock is ticking, and you've known the guy for more than ten years, sometimes a few months is all it takes.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I would agree that it should be 5 years at least if you've never lived with a romantic partner previously. However, when you're almost 30 and your biological clock is ticking, and you've known the guy for more than ten years, sometimes a few months is all it takes.
Eh, women can get preggers up to the age of 50 or more. Is it higher risk? Yes. I wouldn't worry if you are 30 or 35. Heck, even 40s isn't too bad. Having a kid is a big deal. You will be tied for life to that person. I wouldn't recommend getting preggers with someone you haven't lived with for a while. People change even if you have known them for 10 years. :blob_melt:

If that person was a roommate for some of those years. Then heck all for it!:blob_happy:

sereminar

I'm blatantly stealing from this This pretty decent list while adding a few of my own/editing them

First I would like to emphasize and second the importance of living together beforehand as this should be an ongoing discussion and you will be able to answer a lot of these questions long before getting married. Also, if sex is going to be an important part of the relationship it would be a good idea to make sure you're compatable first.

-Do you feel rushed/pressured?
-Why do you want to get married?
- When do you want to get married?
-What does marriage mean to you? Do you think it's outdated?
- What does it mean for everyone's finances?
- Do you think someone should change their name?
- Why do you think people get devorced?
- Will you make a prenuptial agreement?
- What expectations does everyone have of a married life? Roles/chores/behaviors/etc.
- Do you want children? How many?
- Does everyone need their own car?
- What kind of housing is your goal? Where?
- What are important family times to prioritize? Dinner/weekends/vacations/etc.
- Who does what chores, is it equitable?
- Who, if anyone, will be the head of the household?
- Who keeps track of everyone's schedules/doctors/birthdays/friends/family/schools/etc
- Who makes decisions? Personal/financial/familial/etc.
- What is your current financial reality?
- What are you financial goals?
- What are your career goals?
- How will being married affect your finances? Will anyone lose benefits? Will you share health insurance? Will you have split bank accounts? Will you co-sign leases/mortgages/loans?
- Can you afford to raise children?
- Will one person be expected to stay home to raise any children?
- If so will they be compensated? Will their labor be valued?
- Is parental leave a benefit in your current job? For everyone or just one person?
- Sex: is everyone compatible? Is everyone's needs getting met?
- Do you have chronic health conditions?
- Do any diseases run in your family?
- Do you have health insurance?
- Do you have life insurance?
- Do you have a will/end of life plan?
- Are you able/willing to support others through their physical or mental health needs/disabilities?
- Do you want children?
- What makes a good parent?
- What happens if you can't conceive of a child naturally?
- What if the baby is disabled/autistic/gay/trans/not what you expected?
- What will your families think?
- How important are your extended families?
- What boundaries do you want to have with your extended family?
- Can you have close friendships with people you might be attracted to?
- As stated by others: what kind of relationship do you want? Entirely monogamous/open/polyamorous/etc.?
- How much time do you want to spend together? With others? Apart? Asleep?
- Do you actually want to share a bed? A room? A house/apartment?
- How important is religion too you? Do your partners need to gave the same religion? How much/which religion would you want your child raised in?
- How are you planning on sharing you're cultures? What holidays/traditions will you celebrate? With which extended family?
- Same as religion but politics instead
- What values are important to you? What values do you want to teach your (possible) children?
- How will you share your hobbies/interests? Will a specific persons get priority?
- What legal trouble will you be willing to support them through?
- What if you or they end up in jail/prison?
- Should your marriage be valued over other relationships?

Sorry it's so disorganized. Again, just check out the link for a better/longer list. I think it's super important to really analyse what your personal feelings/ideas are about marriage before committing.

Also, divorce is a perfectly good option if it doesn't work out, though it can be difficult financially, which is why it's really important to maintain separate bank accounts and build up enough financial security to be able to leave.

Financial abuse is very real and needs to be considered as do other forms of abuse. Will you have plans to escape dangerous situations? Will you maintain separate support networks to assist you? Will you have someone you trust enough to tell you if you need to get out?

Most of these questions are applicable for any romantic relationship. It's important to go into a relationship being on about the same page, though obviously situations and people change over time.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

• Do you want kids?
    • If so, how many?

Are you gay/lesbian?
Back when I was born, this wasn't a question one had to ask. :blob_melt:

Are you of legal age?
Who knows, Chris Hansen could have planned all of this out... :blob_ninja:

If you couldn't use your phone for a week, what would you do? :blob_blank:
Shhh... it's important.

Put your partner in front of a slow computer and see them reveal their true personality. :blob_cookie:
This is also important. Don't question the advice of the single man.

Are you... made in China? :blob_unsure:
Specifically for U.S. folks. Nowadays, almost everything is made in China.

What is your career? :blob_hmm:
Believe it or not, some people don't even ask this before getting married.

How would you ask me out in one sentence? :blob_aww:
Yo, this could also be used in truth or dare against your crush.

Are you rich enough for child support? 🤑
Make sure about this.

How many times would I need to call you for you to pick up? :blob_neutral:
Hopefully, it should be under 1000.

Do you love me? :blob_teary:
Ask this.

What weapon would you use to summarize our relationship? :blobthumbsup:
Gotta see their creative side.

If you had to, say, pay for the venue for the wedding, would you do it? :blob_wink:
Ask.

Can you survive my incessant complaints about work? :blob_catflip:
If not, you need to seriously get a new job.

Will you eat the food that I make? :blobspearpeek:
I personally wouldn't.

D

Deleted member 45782

Off the top of my head..

- What kind of lifestyle do you want?
Urban vs Rural​
Retirement​
Etc, etc.​
- Do you have any health-related issues I should know as your partner?
Addiction and what kind.​
Mental health issues​
Etc etc​
- Do you want kids?
- Finance questions.
Do you trust the other with your finances.​
How comfortable both of you are with the others way of spending?​
- Do we plan on a prenuptial agreement?
- How will our work-fam-life balance be?
Do you want yourself or me be a homemaker?​
How will we split chores?​
- What flaws willing to accept and not.
- Compatibility with your other loved ones.
- How you view/style raising kids
- Are both ready settle or relationship?
Sometimes wrong time/not ready.

Also questions you will have to ask you yourself bout the relationship. Overlap with above.
  • Are they toxic? Do you feel comfortable with them? Do you get into fights on and off? Is this a toxic draining relationship on both sides?
  • Are they loyal or have wandering eyes? (If in a monogamous relationship). Make it clear what relationship in first and what expectations.
  • Do they stay with you because they love you or also bc something else? Which weighs more?
  • Are they reliable and trustworthy? This is someone you want to know will have your back.
  • Are your personalities compatible? Similar values, beliefs, politics, lifestyle, etc?
  • When your health declines or you hair turns gray, will you two be there for each other? When something happens like a crisis, would you be there supporting each other's back?
  • What kind of flaws are you willing to let slide and which are you not willing to accept? Know everyone is not perfect. But this person is person spending rest of your life with.
  • If relationship doesn't work out will you be able to find way support yourself away from it?
  • Any red flags in general. Do you have cold feet?
  • How good are they with others? Kids, pets, family, friends, etc.? See how they really are and who are they willing to accept in your circle.

There's a lot more questions one probably need ask but haven't thought of. Thu its pretty gray, depends on each person and each couple has variations of what they feel comfortable or what crosses the line.

I think should maybe get to know one another and maybe live with person for bout 3 years to see if that is person you wanna be with. 5 yrs is half a decade already. Time is precious. This way don't stay in relationship that feels took chunk of your time and your soul if that relationship doesn't work out. Society pressures and biological clock may be on mind too.

Thu I think 30s ain't that old honestly. Nowadays humans live longer. People expect everything done in 20s but nowadays longer life expectancy. Quite lot 30s live date and marry and have fine kids too.

I second much of @KoyukiMegumi and @sereminar 's thoughts on it. Also since person is who you spend most of your life with, housing, finances, kids, family, secrets as a couple outsiders won't know, its important to know and not just marry bc society and family and biological pressure on age. If you're not compatible you may be setting yourself up in a relationship that takes lot to recover from or stuck with (depending on culture and kids and etc etc.)

I kinda feel like this belongs with one of those relationship threads on here haha...

Last edited by a moderator:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Why am I marrying you when I have no interest in marriage?

That would be my number one question I’d ask if I ever found myself in an incomprehensible situation where I was seriously considering marriage.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

• Do you want kids?
    • If so, how many?

Somewhat unrelated but I do believe that much of these in-responsibilities are caused by much of modern culture, and parents not really taking a role in their children’s lives, basically allowing them to be raised by the tv media, and now the iPads.

K5Rakitan

Eh, women can get preggers up to the age of 50 or more. Is it higher risk? Yes. I wouldn't worry if you are 30 or 35. Heck, even 40s isn't too bad. Having a kid is a big deal. You will be tied for life to that person. I wouldn't recommend getting preggers with someone you haven't lived with for a while. People change even if you have known them for 10 years. :blob_melt:

If that person was a roommate for some of those years. Then heck all for it!:blob_happy:
Birth defects were our big concern. The older the parents get, the more likely birth defects are. We both agreed that we would abort a fetus with major defects. Also, we agreed that we would hide the truth from our Catholic parents if it came to that and claim I had a miscarriage. Thankfully, that wasn't necessary. Our first child is perfect! We want more than one, but not right away. I had gestational diabetes and had to walk after every meal, so in order to do that again, we need to get to a place where we can keep that sort of schedule. Adoption is on the table for the second one since I want a girl, but we're still giving it some time to decide.

We were friends with benefits for most of those years while he was in the Navy. We spent two months together in Hawaii, where I cooked meals for him in a slow cooker to save money. He moved in with me a year and a half later, and then it was about a month before he became my boyfriend, and then we got engaged after another few months.

We've been married for a little over three years now, and things are going well :)

Also, one of the reasons I said yes so quickly was that one of my boyfriends died in 2015.
I'd also like to add that I haven't been in a monogamous relationship since 2008.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Adoption is on the table for the second one since I want a girl, but we're still giving it some time to decide.
I would view wanting your child a certain gender as somewhat questionable, but at that point you probably are better off adopting rather than have someone live their life knowing that their parent(s) wanted them to be something else.

K5Rakitan

I would view wanting your child a certain gender as somewhat questionable, but at that point you probably are better off adopting rather than have someone live their life knowing that their parent(s) wanted them to be something else.
Even if the sex of the adopted child is female, there is no guarantee of a cisgendered girl, just a high likelihood. I'll accept a boy either way if it comes to that, so it's a matter of which set of dice we want to roll. Also, I might already have a girl and just not know it yet!

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Even if the sex of the adopted child is female, there is no guarantee of a cisgendered girl, just a high likelihood. I'll accept a boy either way if it comes to that, so it's a matter of which set of dice we want to roll. Also, I might already have a girl and just not know it yet!
The cis part is true indeed. I must apologize for this oversight.
As for the "accept any" part, I'll just have to hope you make good on that.

MR.DANTE

don't marry, people want too much nowdays and there is no incentive to stick together or solve problems so marriage fail half of the times, the bigger problem i see tho is that people don't stick with wath they agree with after a while since there is little incentive to keep things going, society nowdays is not really conductive to long term relationships