Quick Question: If it's generally agreed if I can like something without engaging with it, can I also dislike something without engaging with it too?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
1595129194567m.jpg

I know this Twitter screenshot is full of extra chromosomes, but let's entertain the idea for a bit.

Since it's okay to like the game without playing the game, can we also hate it without playing the game?

TachimeSan

View attachment 3207

I know this Twitter screenshot is full of extra chromosomes, but let's entertain the idea for a bit.

Since it's okay to like the game without playing the game, can we also hate it without playing the game?
If you've seen sufficient gameplay and story of the game then you can quite accurately decide whether you like it or hate it, liking or disliking it is a personal bias tbh, you can hate something without any real reason and people can't do anything about it. But that's just me.:blob_teehee:

Owl

Nervous writer
Absolutely. I like watching letsplays, and a lot of those have resulted in me deciding to play games on my own because I liked the playthrough so much, or disliking it because I noticed I hated some mechanics, or characters, or the story. If I don't like the story while watching, why would I like it playing myself? On the other hand, I found some of my favourite games through letsplays.
Besides, as TachimeSan said, it's even normal to hate something without any reason. It happens.

PandaSempai

I mean, yeah. You could definitely dislike a game just from getting some bits and pieces of information about it. Humans are naturally biased so it's completely natural for someone to hate a particular game just because it existed. Heck, I even hate Mobile Legends and such JUST because they existed.

In my own biased opinion, the game is just so trashy that it shouldn't exist. Lol

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
View attachment 3207

Yes, but only if you are thoroughly informed about the game despite not having played it.

Like if you watched lets plays of it and shit. If you know about the game through seeing others play it and have analyzed it well enough to know whether you will or will not enjoy it even if you haven't ever played it yourself. Otherwise? You have an uninformed opinion and you can go fuck yourself with it.

BenJepheneT

Yeah I dislike your writing without engaging with it sorry you walked right into that one with that title
You could've gotten your gotcha moment if the subject matter was a little bit more heated and controversial but nontheless, hey good job

Yes, but only if you are thoroughly informed about the game despite not having played it.

Like if you watched lets plays of it and shit. If you know about the game through seeing others play it and have analyzed it well enough to know whether you will or will not enjoy it even if you haven't ever played it yourself. Otherwise? You have an uninformed opinion and you can go fuck yourself with it.
I actually posted this under the context of the TLOU 2 criticisms, and that how you can't criticize the game or even the story of you don't own the game yourself, before jumping into full simp mode for other titles despite never having played them themselves.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
You could've gotten your gotcha moment if the subject matter was a little bit more heated and controversial but nontheless, hey good job

I actually posted this under the context of the TLOU 2 criticisms, and that how you can't criticize the game or even the story of you don't own the game yourself, before jumping into full simp mode for other titles despite never having played them themselves.
I didnt play it but did see all kinds of playthroughs. It's an improvement of the previous titles in some ways, gameplay wise. But their decision to kill off a main character and then play as the killer and after that have you forgive the killer was such a bad move. Its also bullshit.

Congrats, bitch, Joel died for nothing. Smh.

The story could have been better if Ellie really did get killed later on by that Anby asshat. This? Felt just like a real cop out. Nothing definitive happens and you are left unsatisfied either way

BenJepheneT

I didnt play it but did see all kinds of playthroughs. It's an improvement of the previous titles in some ways, gameplay wise. But their decision to kill off a main character and then play as the killer and after that have you forgive the killer was such a bad move. Its also bullshit.

Congrats, bitch, Joel died for nothing. Smh.

The story could have been better if Ellie really did get killed later on by that Anby asshat. This? Felt just like a real cop out. Nothing definitive happens and you are left unsatisfied either way
The gameplay had all the style and none of the substance. The first game compensated it with set pieces and gimmicks that are slowly introduced throughout the entire run of the game.

This one only has more bling and bing bang wahoo's that overstayed it's welcome because ND opted for a more open ended approach. It was a good idea if you're making a game with deep mechanics and various ways to approach it. TLOU 2 had only two ways. You either go guns blazing or stealth. You might argue that it's the basis of every stealth/action game but its traversal mechanics and the bare bones detection from the enemies made it even more apparent that this was a game made to look slick, not play slick. The gameplay didn't improve whatsoever besides going prone.

If Naughty Dog had focused more on dishing out better linear levels instead of the same "ride the truck and shoot some shit" or "horseback shooting" or "sniper crawl" that we've seen even from the first game instead of making these psuedo open world that are completely empty when you look under the beautiful tarp, they would've been excused with the story, which I won't discuss here, because it'll need a whole new thread to unpack the amount of wrongs in there.

TachimeSan

I hate that game solely for the fact that Joel dies in it. That's it. I've seen the gameplay and mechanics from pwed's playthrough, but due to a single aspect of the game (Joel dying) I hate it to it's very core 🤷🏾‍♂️

atgongumerki

For the story, sure! Once you know the story you can judge the story!
The art style, yes!
For gameplay, I would argue that you'll never know if this kind of style is enjoyable for you without trying. (exception: if the gameplay is a clone of something you tried and hate)

thedude3445

There was a kid I knew once who was a huge fan of Undertale and talked about the characters all the time, but I know for a fact they never played it once; they received all of their information of the game through Let's Plays and lore videos and fan content.

It's actually a bit of a tougher question than you might expect. There are a lot of fans of big shared universes, namely Marvel or DC comics, who are just unable to devour the tens of thousands of issues of content required to become an expert. They refer to wikis and other types of guides to fill in their gaps of knowledge. But even further along, there are people who steadfastly love these comics and these universes, but have read next to no actual comics; they get their storytelling knowledge from movie adaptations, or lore videos on Youtube, or just reading Wikipedia plot summaries outright. Does that make them less of a genuine fan of the content? Not sure. Does it make them more shallow of a fan? Probably, but does that really matter?

My gut instinct is to say no, you can't be a real fan, or a real hater, of something without engaging directly with it. But I know my gut instinct is extremely biased so I'm not sure what to say.

One thing I am certain of though: You can't judge if a piece of media is good or bad without engaging with it, so all the whining Last of Us gamer boys really need to shut up oh my word it's been like two months

mostlyharmfulll

TeaMate since day 1
A fan/hater is something you are in your heart. Knowledge doesn't matter, listen to what your heart says!

TachimeSan

There was a kid I knew once who was a huge fan of Undertale and talked about the characters all the time, but I know for a fact they never played it once; they received all of their information of the game through Let's Plays and lore videos and fan content.

It's actually a bit of a tougher question than you might expect. There are a lot of fans of big shared universes, namely Marvel or DC comics, who are just unable to devour the tens of thousands of issues of content required to become an expert. They refer to wikis and other types of guides to fill in their gaps of knowledge. But even further along, there are people who steadfastly love these comics and these universes, but have read next to no actual comics; they get their storytelling knowledge from movie adaptations, or lore videos on Youtube, or just reading Wikipedia plot summaries outright. Does that make them less of a genuine fan of the content? Not sure. Does it make them more shallow of a fan? Probably, but does that really matter?

My gut instinct is to say no, you can't be a real fan, or a real hater, of something without engaging directly with it. But I know my gut instinct is extremely biased so I'm not sure what to say.

One thing I am certain of though: You can't judge if a piece of media is good or bad without engaging with it, so all the whining Last of Us gamer boys really need to shut up oh my word it's been like two months
But... But they killed Joel:blob_teary:

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Alright, here's a hot take: There isn't a strict yes or no to this. It depends upon what the game consists of.

Now, let's say I watch a play through of doki-doki literature club. I would say you could make an informed opinion on that, as it doesn't really have much in the way of gameplay. You can convey it all through video format with a minimum change of how it feels.

Now, take a game like Getting Over it With Bennett Foddy and things are different. Watching the game and understanding how bad the controls are is completely different from going through it yourself. Someone who watches a playthrough will have a a fun time listening to the commentary or watching someone fall down, or any number of things. Someone who plays the game might want to rip out their hair in frustration. The experience doesn't translate.

Essentially, it depends on how much of the game consists of "game". How much of it can be conveyed through video, how much of the experience can stay the same when you watch it vs. when you play it. For example, I love the game Super Mario Odyssey, but I would never watch a playthrough of it because I can't get the same feeling as when I play it. It's a different experience.

So yeah. I've never played TLOU2 or TLOU and I've never watched any let's plays either. I gave no shits when it came out, and I give no shits now. But the question then becomes, how much of the game can you experience through playing it vs. watching it?

Himekawa

View attachment 3207

I hate gacha games. I've read books and journals about addiction and found them most prominent in gacha games (There's a lot in other games too). I just feel that gacha games is that predatory.

I have like/dislike relationship with gaming too. I don't think I have enough self control to play a game that I cannot end in a certain time (well... gaming in general, really. I dislike it when I am sober, and when I am engrossed, that's when I feel conflicted). Games like the sims, elder scroll skyrim, etc that offer limitless freedom is just there. Then there's the obsession to collect everything, following the walkthrough to a T. That's why I prefer RPG (not open-ended games) and rhythm games (despite it being gacha, bandori is my choice because there's no problem playing without energy mechanics, and the gacha doesn't affect anything except your scoring, which you better use perfect/great/good instead of the multiplied score).

BenJepheneT

I hate gacha games. I've read books and journals about addiction and found them most prominent in gacha games (There's a lot in other games too). I just feel that gacha games is that predatory.

I have like/dislike relationship with gaming too. I don't think I have enough self control to play a game that I cannot end in a certain time (well... gaming in general, really. I dislike it when I am sober, and when I am engrossed, that's when I feel conflicted). Games like the sims, elder scroll skyrim, etc that offer limitless freedom is just there. Then there's the obsession to collect everything, following the walkthrough to a T. That's why I prefer RPG (not open-ended games) and rhythm games (despite it being gacha, bandori is my choice because there's no problem playing without energy mechanics, and the gacha doesn't affect anything except your scoring, which you better use perfect/great/good instead of the multiplied score).
Try short, linear games like your usual Call of Duties and, I hate to say this, Movie Games such as Naughty Dog's entire career. No collectathons or anything. Just a one-shot, straight goal to fun town and out.

Himekawa

Try short, linear games like your usual Call of Duties and, I hate to say this, Movie Games such as Naughty Dog's entire career. No collectathons or anything. Just a one-shot, straight goal to fun town and out.
Sorry, I dislike FPS. I don't have the hand-eye coordination for FPS/strategy/fighting games. For rhythm games, I can at least move to the beat and memorize the pattern. But I don't think I can graduate from being a noob in FPS. Not to mention it is not my preferred genre.