Quitting music changed my writing life.

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42060

Personally I don't see how anyone could write without music. Music doesn't distract me at all from my writing - as a matter of fact, it makes me write more. Sometimes my hands want to keep up with the pace of the music as I type, and sometimes it puts me into the zone where I keep having idea after idea where everything just flows perfectly from one thing to another.

Not that I can't write without music but the writing always seems so dull without music. And my productivity is about the same either way.
Yeah. Music helps in imagination, and the ideas flow naturally, too. The only problem is that I got so addicted to it I had to stop. Quitting music is probably only for those who are miserably addicted to it, but for those who can balance it out—good for you. Now I have to deal with the everyday loss of appetite and dispassion after quitting music. Who knows if I can make it—I will probably relapse in the end. (Either way, my writing style tends to be dull, so that is one of the reasons why silence suits me best.)

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I too have found that chewing gum helps.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
I tought quitting music meant you quitting band or something?

JDC_OnPaper

Well, I listen to Classical Pieces when writing, most particularly, The Nutcracker, Some Blue Danube, some Mozart and Beethoven, maybe even some Bach, Vivaldi, while it may not work for you, listening to classical pieces is very relaxing, and even helps my mind, imagination going.

Except for Vivaldi and his violin pieces, it was too energetic, but hey, they were good too.

Jemini

So far as I'm concerned, there is 1 and only 1 good reason why you might want to listen to music while you are writing. That 1 reason is to drown out the chaotic noise of a lot of people talking in the background. Basically, it is a tool for people in crowded and noisy houses. The optimal solution would be to move somewhere more quiet, but music will do the trick if you do not have that option.

I live in a pretty quiet house, so I do not listen to music while I write. I have found most of the more productive writers out there do not listen to music either.

CrazyGrimReaper

I listen to music to get me in the mood. When I get in the zone I tend to zone out music and all distractions, it also helps that I make the volume of the music soft and not loud no matter what genre I am listening to. This means when I get lost in writing I tend to forget I even had music on since I have to pay at least some attention to enjoy and get distracted by it. It is also nice that when I get bored or distracted in the middle, I can just listen to a good song and stop for a minute or two, and the music brings me back motivated to write more.