Racism in world building books and Earth books

Le_ther

I know this sounds bad but,

People really liked racism on books with their own world mostly the common fantasy race racism or sci-fi bad view either on A.I. or Humans. I do not know whether it's because it's not related to them and based on the author's description it can really change your mind unlike when the book is based on real life earth's world.

If the book's world is based on earth Most people see it as offensive and bias. Mostly this trope happens at Korean,Japanese, and even chinese novels where they try to make their country supreme compared to other continents(maybe their just very hard on nationalist) that it sometimes ruins the novel's great storytelling and causes some badly written criticism just on that part of the book.

So I wonder. How can you make racism not offensive and likable based on real earth?(Seems likely impossible)

People really liked racism on books with their own world mostly the common fantasy race racism or sci-fi bad view either on A.I. or Humans. I do not know whether it's because it's not related to them and based on the author's description it can really change your mind unlike when the book is based on real life earth's world.

If the book's world is based on earth Most people see it as offensive and bias. Mostly this trope happens at Korean,Japanese, and even chinese novels where they try to make their country supreme compared to other continents(maybe their just very hard on nationalist) that it sometimes ruins the novel's great storytelling and causes some badly written criticism just on that part of the book.

So I wonder. How can you make racism not offensive and likable based on real earth?(Seems likely impossible)
To add a note:

This happened with solo levelling jeju island arc and also (perhaps) caused the SL anime to be changed to japan original ver

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
You can’t. For one simple reason. People who want to be offended will be offended. Especially if they are easily riled up. Many can’t see things objectively or from another person’s perspective. I ran into that by myself with the topic of slaves in a fantasy story. Even if you are a great writer, people will be offended more than not

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

So I wonder. How can you make racism not offensive and likable based on real earth?
Wait, racism is unlikeable on real Earth whaaaat? Omg I gotta apologise to the blacks in the neighbourhood over for lighting their grainhouse on fire and writing obsene graffiti on it now. I thought that was an endearing gesture(((

Domoviye

The tropes you mention, seem to be more nationalistic than racist.
And the main problem with the tropes is it makes one country or culture into a Mary Sue. It's boring to read and if you're not from that country, it's particularly boring.

The best way to deal with it is to make sure you don't make one country or culture the greatest thing ever. Give it flaws, traditions that get in the way of its success, ideas that hold it back, etc. And if there are other countries in the world, don't have them all cheap copies of that one country or culture, or hopelessly backwards, evil, stupid, etc.

So look at countries from today and the past. One or two countries may dominate things culturally, militarily, or economically, but they all had flaws, they all had competition, and none of them were always at the top. Think of how you can add these details to your world, and run with it.

TotallyHuman

Wait, racism is unlikeable on real Earth whaaaat? Omg I gotta apologise to the blacks in the neighbourhood over for lighting their grainhouse on fire and writing obsene graffiti on it now. I thought that was an endearing gesture(((
Ah, but to be fair, I will never begrudge a country hating on another country when they were invaded by another country in some form. That's why I really don't mind the Japan hate in Chinese stories in WWII settings - Japs' heads belong on a pike! In those settings only.
That's also why I am very comfortable of making spicy comments on the US - because those disgusting morons are always invading someone - or colonising/enslaving.

So I feel it is justified to hate someone when you are justified to hate them.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

To add a note:

This happened with solo levelling jeju island arc and also (perhaps) caused the SL anime to be changed to japan original ver
blacks have big dicks. Asians are good at math....people are FINE with racism as long as the racist stereotypes are positive things.

D

Deleted member 54065

To add a note:

I learned that you can't avoid offending anyone whenever you write a story that is well-thought of, and/or relevant. For example, my story got some negative comment after they read a certain part in my narrative where my character (since he was raised in a traditional/conservative culture) thinks of 'homosexual' relationship as 'perverted'. I wrote that not because I discriminate against the LGBT community, but to indicate that my character's background is like that.

Even those who say their book sides with the 'minorities', they tend to offend the majority, which to them is a badge of honor.

So, in conclusion, just write--if you want to call on some social issues, feel free to do so. If you just want to write that 'offending' trope for the sake of it (especially for the world setting), do it.

After all, the cancel culture is only one part of the globe.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
those who want to hide their bigotry behind fictional creations are pussies anyway; I wear my racism on my sleeve.

I regularly drive by Chicago with a megaphone spamming the hard r (wearing a balaclava behind reinforced windows of my military Hummer, triple plated to deflect sustained 9mm fires)

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
It all depends on the point you're trying to make If racism makes sense in your story and world building, and leads to some kind of development, I have no issue with it. Racism exists. Art imitates life. Even if it's gritty or unpleasant if it's part of the greater story you are trying to tell you should be free to tell it as it fits. I think this is why some settings don't upset people as much as others.

In the case of Fantasy, I think it often serves as a device to make an otherwise imaginative world more grounded and real by providing a foil we understand. It helps bring otherwise more romanticized ideas to a darker place, and serves to flesh out the story. You don't need this so much in an Earth story, so it needs a greater purpose. Because we are familiar with the country and people involved, we are already firmly grounded in the setting making it more real to us. Regardless of what is written, a reader already has their own opinions about the world they live in.

For depicted racism to be accepted in a more realistic setting, I believe it is crucial that it adds to the overall message in your story. It must in some way, either reinforce the feeling of justice at some point for the reader, or make them think deeply about issues. They should come away feeling they are somehow 'more' for reading through all the uncomfortable things in the story. It doesn't have to have a happy one, but any depiction of racism should be meaningful in some form.

The normal nationalism and the like, that you usually find doesn't have that, it's mostly just hot air, and doesn't really serve as a meaningful part of the story.

Last edited:

Le_ther

I love how no matter what you do to other race it's either fine or they exaggerate the situiation to gain the upperhand on scenario's they either didn't want or expect.
You can’t. For one simple reason. People who want to be offended will be offended. Especially if they are easily riled up. Many can’t see things objectively or from another person’s perspective. I ran into that by myself with the topic of slaves in a fantasy story. Even if you are a great writer, people will be offended more than not
I guess it's mainly because of attachment towards the topic.

Let's say in fantasy elves are racist to humans because backstory. People would be in a state of neutral and it doesn't really bother them that much so it's fine for the story.

However, if in a real world book if it was depicted that how this certain race negatively affected the other race. The affected race readers would either be in neutral or offensive towards the author.

But overall racism is cringe as long as the story is enjoying and all i would read it.

Last edited:

Le_ther

Yeah, only antisemitism is based
Nah, I ain't racist if I hate all race including mine equally. I care for individuals who contribute to society and not the annoying ass who parasites off internet(including me).

D

Deleted member 54065

I suddenly remember my brother telling me:

"I'm not racist if I'm racist to everyone, including my own race. I'm an asshole."

OP1000

I personally do not mind if a story includes racism in it. As long as it serves a purpose within the story and it is well written,I will read the story.

forli

It can be nice to have various races and cultures that dislike or even hate each other because of various rivalries or histories. It can make the world feel more complex and real.

Unfortunately, the way most web novels tackle racism is by making humans be super racist to all other races for no reason while all non-humans are completely open-minded (but they'll see humans as insects, which doesn't count as racism for some reason).

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Just make everyone racist. Add random little quips during dialogue but have no one bat an eye.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…

To add a note:

Racism is a relatively recent invention that was used to justify colonialism, to split up colonial subjects, and to justify chattel slavery. Xenophobia, however, has always existed be it the Ancient Greeks, Romans and Chinese speaking of northern barbarians or a small town disapproving of new people entering. Although, Xenophobia has also been mixed with racism for a couple of centuries now, so :blob_hmm:

If you treat the subject with respect for the communities affected by racism and its consequences then you should be fine, but if you use it to justify racist beliefs then no one can save you.

Gibbs505

I rarely deal with race and mostly just leave it up to the reader to decide how they want to view the character from the point of view of race.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Casual racism is a fact of life. Whenever someone is pissed off by someone else, they will pick on the most obvious characteristic about them to insult them with. Weight, skin colour, clothing/culture style...that's just human nature.
Systemic or institutional racism is probably harder to handle. In my WIP there is a dominant culture who refuse to allow entry to a certain college to a particular group, who are severely oppressed, for in-world reasons. The inspo came from the English treatment of the Celtic/British nations.
I think you need to be careful not to code them too closely to real world people or situations or it might start looking preachy and WILL offend someone, especially if your knowledge has been gleaned off social media.