Random fantasy & stuff discussion

SolerFox

for the soul technique:

since the body is just the physical vessel of the soul, you could theoretically just replace the physical vessel to continue living. It would be based on reincarnating, but you will keep your memories and possibly the information that is stored in the physical copy. Since the physical reflects the spiritual and vice versa, you would have two sets of memories: the ones recorded on your soul and the other recorded in the physical mind, which would remain in the physical vessel.
this would have its good points and bad points
good points:
1.) you continue to live
2.) you can farm/grind for the more mental states, information and experience, and the more mysterious stats, luck, etc.. this would be true if it has a game system, but it would be no less true.
3.) you can use the unique traits, abilities, energy of the physical vessel you possess. ex:
4.) depending on how you use this, you can train your mental power, your spiritual power/soul, and allow you to do a lot of different things. Ex: by using multiple physicals vessels at once. Though this would come with the drawback of possibly getting multiple personality disorder.
5.) would allow you to persist without a body for a while. This would let you see, walk, talk, etc. while being a spirit to either explore, escape, etc.

bad points:
1.) there may be some incompatibility issues if the body is drastically different.
2.) the body might reject the soul due to a number of reasons.
3.) the body the mc posses would have a backstory and baggage of their own.
4.) depending on how you want the technique to work, the body may be too destroyed to take over.
5.) depending on the user, the person in question may take their life for granted with the continued use of this technique.

what it could be used for:
1.) you can experience what it would be like for every gender.
2.) can create the ultimate disguise for an assassin.
3.) you don't truly die if you have a back up ready.
4.) you could take the place of anyone, even kids.
5.) language wouldn't be as much of a boundary to you; you would be able to understand the intention behind the language spoken to you. It would be like Kurama, the nine-tailed fox from naruto ability. He can sense the intention behind people based on their negative emotions.

This just popped into my head when you mentioned the soul technique. There is more to this technique, but I bet you can tell of it's potential and why it would be considered forbidden.

one major point is that, over time, the user soul may lose its original shape. the reason being is that the spiritual would reflect the physical. this can be taken in any direction, it could be good or bad. it could be used to help create the 'demon beast' that the mc transforms into.

Last edited:

drakensji

for the soul technique:

since the body is just the physical vessel of the soul, you could theoretically just replace the physical vessel to continue living. It would be based on reincarnating, but you will keep your memories and possibly the information that is stored in the physical copy. Since the physical reflects the spiritual and vice versa, you would have two sets of memories: the ones recorded on your soul and the other recorded in the physical mind, which would remain in the physical vessel.
this would have its good points and bad points
good points:
1.) you continue to live
2.) you can farm/grind for the more mental states, information and experience, and the more mysterious stats, luck, etc.. this would be true if it has a game system, but it would be no less true.
3.) you can use the unique traits, abilities, energy of the physical vessel you possess. ex:
4.) depending on how you use this, you can train your mental power, your spiritual power/soul, and allow you to do a lot of different things. Ex: by using multiple physicals vessels at once. Though this would come with the drawback of possibly getting multiple personality disorder.
5.) would allow you to persist without a body for a while. This would let you see, walk, talk, etc. while being a spirit to either explore, escape, etc.

bad points:
1.) there may be some incompatibility issues if the body is drastically different.
2.) the body might reject the soul due to a number of reasons.
3.) the body the mc posses would have a backstory and baggage of their own.
4.) depending on how you want the technique to work, the body may be too destroyed to take over.
5.) depending on the user, the person in question may take their life for granted with the continued use of this technique.

what it could be used for:
1.) you can experience what it would be like for every gender.
2.) can create the ultimate disguise for an assassin.
3.) you don't truly die if you have a back up ready.
4.) you could take the place of anyone, even kids.
5.) language wouldn't be as much of a boundary to you; you would be able to understand the intention behind the language spoken to you. It would be like Kurama, the nine-tailed fox from naruto ability. He can sense the intention behind people based on their negative emotions.

This just popped into my head when you mentioned the soul technique. There is more to this technique, but I bet you can tell of it's potential and why it would be considered forbidden.

one major point is that, over time, the user soul may lose its original shape. the reason being is that the spiritual would reflect the physical. this can be taken in any direction, it could be good or bad. it could be used to help create the 'demon beast' that the mc transforms into.
This is a good idea for a soul technique, but it doesn't fit how i want Max to act in the story. He will only have one body, that is transformed into a beast, and he needs the extra body control in order to make the best use of his beast body quickly. Body hopping just isn't the style i want.

It definitely isn't a game system world. In my preference, only Vr worlds are permitted game systems. Everything else must regardless be artificially constructed from someone/thing copying a game or the concept. A world that just naturally has a game sustem makes no sense to me. Especially since games usually try to have in-game explenations for their powers and the game system is just a translation of that for the players.

SolerFox

True, I personally like game systems, as you can probably tell. I'll more than likely make references to them even though it would not be needed. If you want a story with a believable-ish game system, try looking into the anime/novel 'no game no life' and it's related movie. I'm sure you have seen them, but from what you said you might make an exception.

Last edited:

drakensji

True, I personally like game systems, as you can probably tell. I'll more than likely make references to them even though it would not be needed. If you want a story with a believable-ish game system, try looking into the anime/novel 'no game no life' and it's related movie. I'm sure you have seen them, but from what you said you might make an exception.
I saw the anime but not the movie. There wasn't much of a game system that i remember (at least not videogame litrpg system). Just rules to follow

SolerFox

That is what a basic game system is, the most basic at that. You are only allowed to work within the confinement of the rules. You can find some hidden meaning in the given information and take advantage of the rules themselves. Everything else is freeform.

drakensji

That is what a basic game system is, the most basic at that. You are only allowed to work within the confinement of the rules. You can find some hidden meaning in the given information and take advantage of the rules themselves. Everything else is freeform.
i thought you meant levels, stats, skills when you said game system. as what no Game no Life has is more just a wonky world system.

SolerFox

True, but what else would you expect from a god of games?

A game system is, in the end, a set of rules to follow to achieve an end goal. With an end goal, a game has risks and rewards. You raise a state by training it or adding an attribute point. You gain a skill by doing a related action and by training. Etc.

That is why some people say that life is the biggest and most complex game out there. I'm not saying that life should be treated as a game, but it can be compared to one.

note: I just like game systems and stuff related to games.

Last edited:

SolerFox

For his/her second technique, doesn't that mean that he/she has every type of leach ability/skill? Does that mean that he/she can siphon kinetic and potential energy as well as the energy contained in an atom/atom bonds? Does this mean that he/she can transform anything into energy; after all, everything can transform into energy. If this is the case, then he/she would be classified as a 'world eater' or 'the consumer of god's logic.' since this is a story about cultivation, the mc can use other cultivators as potential energy sources. He/She could even use souls as an energy source.

drakensji

For his/her second technique, doesn't that mean that he/she has every type of leach ability/skill? Does that mean that he/she can siphon kinetic and potential energy as well as the energy contained in an atom/atom bonds? Does this mean that he/she can transform anything into energy; after all, everything can transform into energy. If this is the case, then he/she would be classified as a 'world eater' or 'the consumer of god's logic.' since this is a story about cultivation, the mc can use other cultivators as potential energy sources. He/She could even use souls as an energy source.
He doesn't have a fusion reactor in his stomach so he can't break atoms apart into energy. He can absorb magic energy, and can also eat souls thanks to his first technique giving him a body capable of touching souls.

His energy eating ability is meant to be used to nullify others attacks and barriers. It is not meant to be a super OP ability (though it is a bit OP), so he won't be able to do too many things with it. (i didn't want a super powerful mc, he will never become an apex cultivator, but he will be able to survive almost anything)

drakensji

What do you think about word/language magic?

I always felt like in a world where a certain language is magical, than all languages should have the potential to do the same.

Since usually magic languages are ancient, maybe languages gain power with time, and after many centuries they become capable of affecting reality?

Or maybe it dependant on number of people who have used it (past and present) so after many generations the number of people who have spoken that language becomes enough to create magic.

Though there could always be arbitrary reasons, such as chosen by a god, or simply there can only be one such language and until it is completely forgotten there cannot be another

SolerFox

As I said in a previous post: "a magic language is just a collection of runes made by many different people through the ages." this would mean that theoretically, every rune would be it's own language, in a sense. Every being would have the capacity to create their own magic language/ runes. The runes and magic language in question would be based on that individual perspective on how the world works. The reason why I say this is that a magic language in a language in the end. The magic language is used by the mage in question to convey what they want magic to do for them, usually using mana as the medium. Since this is the case, any language would be considered a magic language since every language would have its own meaning for each individual word and letter. The reason why this is not the case would be one of four reasons:

1.) the mage association or it's equivalent. The reason why is that it would them hoarding power and/or to prevent chaos from spreading. In most stories, mages have a mysterious air about them. They usually don't spread their knowledge unless it is to their apprentices. Since this is usually the case, most people view them as mysterious, powerful people. Since they view mages as such, the powerless would view them as both dangerous people and as an opportunity. Since these people have a chance of becoming an apprentice to a mage, they end up wanting that power for themselves. These types of people are usually dangerous, and since they view that 'the only way for me to get that power is to learn from a mage,' the chaos would be contained.

2.) the church. The church's primary focus 'should' be healing those in need, but this isn't usually the case. The church in most fantasy is corrupt and tries to gather a ton of money from the rich and poor. The reason why they need money is that they need to fund their order of holy knights and to hold parties with the rich to give and gather favors. With this being the case, it would make sense for them to try to get rid of another healing method or to say that theirs is better. So they would say that 'only a true believer can use the holy text' or something like that. This would go with a previous post: 'a factor in magic would be one's belief.'

3.) The lack of intent. Every language could be used as a magic language, but not everyone uses language as such. Magic only works when you intend to use magic. This is why when you say fire with the intent to use magic, a fire would appear. When you say fire without the intent to use magic, then no fire would appear.

4.) The person's perspective. When someone doesn't know they can use magic and try to use magic, then they are not likely to succeed. The reason being is that the person in question would doubt themselves and that subconscious thought would interfere with their magic/ spell in question. You can compare this to a person who has trained with mages to use magic would be confident in themself and believe that they can use magic. This is why when mages pick an apprentice, they usually choose someone young.

Last edited:

drakensji

As I said in a previous post: "a magic language is just a collection of runes made by many different people through the ages." this would mean that theoretically, every rune would be it's own language, in a sense. Every being would have the capacity to create their own magic language/ runes. The runes and magic language in question would be based on that individual perspective on how the world works. The reason why I say this is that a magic language in a language in the end. The magic language is used by the mage in question to convey what they want magic to do for them, usually using mana as the medium. Since this is the case, any language would be considered a magic language since every language would have its own meaning for each individual word and letter. The reason why this is not the case would be one of four reasons:

1.) the mage association or it's equivalent. The reason why is that it would them hoarding power and/or to prevent chaos from spreading. In most stories, mages have a mysterious air about them. They usually don't spread their knowledge unless it is to their apprentices. Since this is usually the case, most people view them as mysterious, powerful people. Since they view mages as such, the powerless would view them as both dangerous people and as an opportunity. Since these people have a chance of becoming an apprentice to a mage, they end up wanting that power for themselves. These types of people are usually dangerous, and since they view that 'the only way for me to get that power is to learn from a mage,' the chaos would be contained.

2.) the church. The church's primary focus 'should' be healing those in need, but this isn't usually the case. The church in most fantasy is corrupt and tries to gather a ton of money from the rich and poor. The reason why they need money is that they need to fund their order of holy knights and to hold parties with the rich to give and gather favors. With this being the case, it would make sense for them to try to get rid of another healing method or to say that theirs is better. So they would say that 'only a true believer can use the holy text' or something like that. This would go with a previous post: 'a factor in magic would be one's belief.'

3.) The lack of intent. Every language could be used as a magic language, but not everyone uses language as such. Magic only works when you intend to use magic. This is why when you say fire with the intent to use magic, a fire would appear. When you say fire without the intent to use magic, then no fire would appear.

4.) The person's perspective. When someone doesn't know they can use magic and try to use magic, then they are not likely to succeed. The reason being is that the person in question would doubt themselves and that subconscious thought would interfere with their magic/ spell in question. You can compare this to a person who has trained with mages to use magic would be confident in themself and believe that they can use magic. This is why when mages pick an apprentice, they usually choose someone young.
How would you go about creating a magic system based on language? Obviously you can't make it such that anything that is chanted becomes reality or else it would be utter chaos between omnipotent beings (all they need to do is say "im omnipotent and omniscient" and done).

The most used limiter is mana. You have a reserve of mana and depending on how powerful the effects the more costly in terms of mana. A simple solution that ensures that somebody cannot become a god of the world.

Another common limiter is that you need to fulfill requirements to use that specific word. Usually something along the lines of comprehension. Skyrim's Shouts work like this, though the dragonborn can circumvent this requirement with dragon souls. Eragon's elf language works similarly, thpugh its more that the language represents the concept so thoroughly that it manifests its meaning.

There was a book called "the name of the wind" where one of the forms of magic worked like this. Once you comprehended something, you would instinctively know their true name and be able to control it. In this case it's hard to say that it's an actual language, because it would sound different for each person hearing it. If someone said the true name of wind, everyone would hear the person simply say "wind" in the way they understand it.

Another possibility is to have the requirements be more like a game system. There was a manga where magic worked in this way. You completed certain rituals like kill 1000 giant centipedes with a normal broom and you unlock broom magic. This i think you would like because it's like a game system. Complete a quest and you unlock the respective magic (in the manga the ritual isn't permanent. After using magic enough times you have to do the ritual again to unlock it again)

SolerFox

The last one is more ritual-based. If it is related to a game system, then it would be under the mission system, but even then, it would be a temporary reward instead of the permanent reward that you would usually get.

I would say that it would be a mix of sorts for a magic language.

1.) you would have to have a good understanding of what you want to do. Ex: the more you know about a topic. The more powerful and versatile it would become. The reason for this is that it would prevent needless destruction. if someone knows how dangerous an earthquake is, the less likely that the person in question would use that in the middle of the capital in a kingdom.

2.) I like the mana/energy requirement. The reason why is that it would empower the meaning behind the rune/spell so that you would get the desired outcome. It acts as both fuel for the spell and as a medium between you and the universe. You could say it acts as a clearance level as well.

3.) since this is a magic language, the church would have their own version of whatever element. Ex: holy, demonic, infernal, etc. this type would be more belief focused than understanding the fundamentals behind the spell. You can see this with a holy healing spell; they are healing a person with holy light. This is more than likely the reason why you don't see a sparling library in a church, and if you do, it would have things related to their holy scripture.

4.) what you have experienced would affect your magic. This would create a unique understanding and create a variant to the usual spell. This would usually affect how much damage the spell would cause, the color of the spell, the aura and intent behind the spell, how the spell reacts, etc.

5.) An affinity would help one to understand their element and help in the creation of spells with said element. The only time an affinity would hinder you would be with special affinities. Ex: holy and unholy, demonic and angelic. You would be able to use other elements but at a normal rate.
ex: no affinity would be at the normal rate
an affinity would be at twice the rate
if someone would have a special affinity then it would impede and/or outright block spells that are in direct conflict with their element. Though there would be very rare exceptions on this matter.

note: people are not born with special affinities, they are given as a blessing. though for some, they are given them before or right when they are born.

note: magic is wild and chaotic, but it is also ordered and logical. by its nature would be to create and destroy, though this is only true when there is meaning infused into it. this could be the reason why magic would be in at least three realms or at most for every type of affinity/magic out their, discovered or not. the magic that is in the world already would be already influenced by the universal laws, the god/multiple gods and goddess/magic god/goddess, and by the being living, dead, unalive, undead, spirits, plants, artificial beings, masses of energy, immortals, and constructs in the world or in multiple worlds.

other than these points, you can make whatever twist to the story. (i have talked about magic languages before, do you want me to post what I said before on here?)

Last edited:

drakensji

The last one is more ritual-based. If it is related to a game system, then it would be under the mission system, but even then, it would be a temporary reward instead of the permanent reward that you would usually get.

I would say that it would be a mix of sorts for a magic language.

1.) you would have to have a good understanding of what you want to do. Ex: the more you know about a topic. The more powerful and versatile it would become. The reason for this is that it would prevent needless destruction. if someone knows how dangerous an earthquake is, the less likely that the person in question would use that in the middle of the capital in a kingdom.

2.) I like the mana/energy requirement. The reason why is that it would empower the meaning behind the rune/spell so that you would get the desired outcome. It acts as both fuel for the spell and as a medium between you and the universe. You could say it acts as a clearance level as well.

3.) since this is a magic language, the church would have their own version of whatever element. Ex: holy, demonic, infernal, etc. this type would be more belief focused than understanding the fundamentals behind the spell. You can see this with a holy healing spell; they are healing a person with holy light. This is more than likely the reason why you don't see a sparling library in a church, and if you do, it would have things related to their holy scripture.

4.) what you have experienced would affect your magic. This would create a unique understanding and create a variant to the usual spell. This would usually affect how much damage the spell would cause, the color of the spell, the aura and intent behind the spell, how the spell reacts, etc.

5.) An affinity would help one to understand their element and help in the creation of spells with said element. The only time an affinity would hinder you would be with special affinities. Ex: holy and unholy, demonic and angelic. You would be able to use other elements but at a normal rate.
ex: no affinity would be at the normal rate
an affinity would be at twice the rate
if someone would have a special affinity then it would impede and/or outright block spells that are in direct conflict with their element. Though there would be very rare exceptions on this matter.

note: people are not born with special affinities, they are given as a blessing. though for some, they are given them before or right when they are born.

note: magic is wild and chaotic, but it is also ordered and logical. by its nature would be to create and destroy, though this is only true when there is meaning infused into it. this could be the reason why magic would be in at least three realms or at most for every type of affinity/magic out their, discovered or not. the magic that is in the world already would be already influenced by the universal laws, the god/multiple gods and goddess/magic god/goddess, and by the being living, dead, unalive, undead, spirits, plants, artificial beings, masses of energy, immortals, and constructs in the world or in multiple worlds.

other than these points, you can make whatever twist to the story. (i have talked about magic languages before, do you want me to post what I said before on here?)
I dont have any stories that use magic language as a power system. If it isnt too hard you can send your post on magic languages here.

I was just curious since its a pretty common magic system and i wondered what interesting ways there were to use it.

SolerFox

it would make sense that magic would be that simple while adding a few other components. the other components are the meaning behind the word, belief/faith, and willpower. the reason why I say this is because we can see this due to the multiple magic languages that a fantasy world has from the past to the present.

1. The god's language. this is the most powerful language but it does lack flexibility. it is powerful because the gods/goddesses that speak it know the full meaning behind the word. it was to the point where when they spoke a word it would come into being. they require massive amounts of willpower, understanding, and mana in order to use. this type of language is not meant for mortals to use.

2. The ancient language. this is usually a degraded form of the god's language. this language was set up so that people could use magic without accidentally destroying everything around themself and possibly a good chunk of land as well. you usually see these on/in ancient ruins. this language has most of the meaning behind it as well as requiring a lot of willpower and mana to use. it is more flexible but not as powerful as the god's language.

3. the runic language. after many wars and lost information, this language came to be. it is less powerful but it is mort flexible than the ancient language. this language focuses more on letting more people use magic during its time while still letting new ideas flourish. you usually see armor and weapons engraved in this language. this language requires a good amount of willpower as well as an image/belief and a good amount of mana to use.

4. the modern magic language. this language focus is more on control and flexibility than power. this language would let most if not all people use magic. this magic requires the bare minimum of understanding to use. this language also requires a low amount of willpower and mana to use. it relies on the user having a good mental image/belief in order to activate. since it relies so heavily on the user's mental image no two spells are exactly the same.

so, in conclusion, a person could create their own magic language in order to use magic.

note: the magic after the modern magic language would be livelihood magic. the reason being is that in most stories most people can't use regular magic. it's not that they can't use magic, it's because they don't have enough mana to use magic. livelihood magic is a magic language created for the people in the hope to create more people with the ability to use stronger magic. this magic is used to help the people by making their lives more convenient. ex: using a spark/small flame to start a campfire or to light the stove, using a weak breeze to help sweep an area and to dry clothes, using a weak form of water magic to purify drinking water and to wash clothes, using a weak form of earth magic to fix a creak in their house or on the ground/road, etc. the people would be able to use magic, which would slowly increase their mana compacity, which would increase the next generation mana compacity. this method would work over generations and only up to a point for each individual. you can say that this magic is created to revitalized magic so that people can continue using it.

drakensji

it would make sense that magic would be that simple while adding a few other components. the other components are the meaning behind the word, belief/faith, and willpower. the reason why I say this is because we can see this due to the multiple magic languages that a fantasy world has from the past to the present.

1. The god's language. this is the most powerful language but it does lack flexibility. it is powerful because the gods/goddesses that speak it know the full meaning behind the word. it was to the point where when they spoke a word it would come into being. they require massive amounts of willpower, understanding, and mana in order to use. this type of language is not meant for mortals to use.

2. The ancient language. this is usually a degraded form of the god's language. this language was set up so that people could use magic without accidentally destroying everything around themself and possibly a good chunk of land as well. you usually see these on/in ancient ruins. this language has most of the meaning behind it as well as requiring a lot of willpower and mana to use. it is more flexible but not as powerful as the god's language.

3. the runic language. after many wars and lost information, this language came to be. it is less powerful but it is mort flexible than the ancient language. this language focuses more on letting more people use magic during its time while still letting new ideas flourish. you usually see armor and weapons engraved in this language. this language requires a good amount of willpower as well as an image/belief and a good amount of mana to use.

4. the modern magic language. this language focus is more on control and flexibility than power. this language would let most if not all people use magic. this magic requires the bare minimum of understanding to use. this language also requires a low amount of willpower and mana to use. it relies on the user having a good mental image/belief in order to activate. since it relies so heavily on the user's mental image no two spells are exactly the same.

so, in conclusion, a person could create their own magic language in order to use magic.

note: the magic after the modern magic language would be livelihood magic. the reason being is that in most stories most people can't use regular magic. it's not that they can't use magic, it's because they don't have enough mana to use magic. livelihood magic is a magic language created for the people in the hope to create more people with the ability to use stronger magic. this magic is used to help the people by making their lives more convenient. ex: using a spark/small flame to start a campfire or to light the stove, using a weak breeze to help sweep an area and to dry clothes, using a weak form of water magic to purify drinking water and to wash clothes, using a weak form of earth magic to fix a creak in their house or on the ground/road, etc. the people would be able to use magic, which would slowly increase their mana compacity, which would increase the next generation mana compacity. this method would work over generations and only up to a point for each individual. you can say that this magic is created to revitalized magic so that people can continue using it.
when you say flexibility, are your referring to how much control the user has on the result? how much the image changes the effect? (also capacity not compacity)

If livelihood magic becomes mainstream, does that mean that after many generations, like the equivalent modern day, everyone would essentially be a mage?

SolerFox

When I say flexibility, I mean, how often you can use it in different situations. Ex: if you create a fire with the god's language than you would incinerate a mountain along with a good chunk of the underground, that is not even mentioning the surrounding damage. On the other hand, if you create a fire using the modern language, then you can create a fireball, firestorm, explosion, etc. as you can tell, you can use the modern language in more situations than if you use the god's language.

An image can change the output of the spell, the color, and the result of the spell. An ex of this would be an area heal. You can heal your allies but not the enemy. You have an image of who is and isn't an enemy, and therefore the spell will heal those who you want to heal. Another ex of this would be light spells in a scientific sense. Light spells in fantasy are usually white, but scientifically it can be other colors. So if you imagen the color blue while using a light spell, then the color would change from white to blue. Etc.

As for everyone becoming a mage, yes and no. after many generations, a lot of things would change. The term mage might change from a person who can wield magic to a person who meets a set of requirements. To be a good mage is to be a quality among quantity. Mages in most fantasy don't have the quantity to pick from, and therefore the quality of each successful mage would and is dropping. The reason why is not the mage fault, it is the lack of potential of the people. The reason why I say this is that the people can get by without magic, so from an evolutionary standpoint, it would make sense why the mana capacity of people would drop. The first step to keep the ability to use magic alive is to have the people to use magic in their daily lives continually. After the ability to use magic is saved is when the quality comes forth. at this point, mages would need to meet certain requirements to be qualified as a mage.

After a certain point or a catastrophe is when a new magic language is made. It is a language in the end and, therefore, will change with time. For a magic language, this is a problem. You can add to a magic language, but you can't change what is already there. These types of changes would be saved over the years, and eventually, a new magic language will be born. Of course, some knowledge of a magic language will be lost over time, and mages would either have to recreate it or have to make a new one/rune/etc. This would theoretically mean that it would be a different magic language, but there wouldn't be enough changes to it to justify it.

Last edited:

drakensji

When I say flexibility, I mean, how often you can use it in different situations. Ex: if you create a fire with the god's language than you would incinerate a mountain along with a good chunk of the underground, that is not even mentioning the surrounding damage. On the other hand, if you create a fire using the modern language, then you can create a fireball, firestorm, explosion, etc. as you can tell, you can use the modern language in more situations than if you use the god's language.

An image can change the output of the spell, the color, and the result of the spell. An ex of this would be an area heal. You can heal your allies but not the enemy. You have an image of who is and isn't an enemy, and therefore the spell will heal those who you want to heal. Another ex of this would be light spells in a scientific sense. Light spells in fantasy are usually white, but scientifically it can be other colors. So if you imagen the color blue while using a light spell, then the color would change from white to blue. Etc.

As for everyone becoming a mage, yes and no. after many generations, a lot of things would change. The term mage might change from a person who can wield magic to a person who meets a set of requirements. To be a good mage is to be a quality among quantity. Mages in most fantasy don't have the quantity to pick from, and therefore the quality of each successful mage would and is dropping. The reason why is not the mage fault, it is the lack of potential of the people. The reason why I say this is that the people can get by without magic, so from an evolutionary standpoint, it would make sense why the mana capacity of people would drop. The first step to keep the ability to use magic alive is to have the people to use magic in their daily lives continually. After the ability to use magic is saved is when the quality comes forth. at this point, mages would need to meet certain requirements to be qualified as a mage.

After a certain point or a catastrophe is when a new magic language is made. It is a language in the end and, therefore, will change with time. For a magic language, this is a problem. You can add to a magic language, but you can't change what is already there. These types of changes would be saved over the years, and eventually, a new magic language will be born. Of course, some knowledge of a magic language will be lost over time, and mages would either have to recreate it or have to make a new one/rune/etc. This would theoretically mean that it would be a different magic language, but there wouldn't be enough changes to it to justify it.
Now im imagining different slang messing up a spell. Like someone trying to change another person's sexuality with "be gay!" ends up making them euphoric and curing their depression

SolerFox

You get the idea, though the magic system itself would determine if that type of magic is feasible. You have to be clear and precise when you do a spell since you don't want a spell to miss fire. the only exception to this is 'chant shortening' and 'chant revoking.'

Chant shortening would be where the caster would shorten the spell incantation. The results will vary depending on who cast the spell—the reason why is that it would depend on the understanding of the user. With chant shortening, you are trading the time needed to cast the spell with more mana. The reason why you are using more mana is that you are conveying more intent while saying less of the spell. Of course, if you want to use chant shortening, your understanding of the spell would need to be high. If you increase your understanding and your manipulation of mana and the spell respective element manipulation, then the cost would go down depending on how much effort you put in.

Chant revoking would be when the caster would get rid of the chant itself, though the mage in question can still use the chant. Chant revoking is similar to chant shortening, but the requirements are higher for this to become useable. Your understanding of the spell, along with the required manipulations of mana and elements will need to be to the point where you can be said to have mastered the spell. The cost would be more expensive than chant shorting, but the time needed to cast the spell would make up for it.

Note: the requirements listed are to make the concept be able to be used in battle. You can still use both concepts while not fully meeting the requirements, but the mana cost and time needed to cast the spell would increase.
ex: casting a fireball
1.) fully meeting the requirements:
a.) for chant shortening, you can use the spell by saying fireball or by just saying fire.
b.) for chant revoking, you can use the spell near-instantly, the speed of thought would limit the speed of the spell.

2.) not fully meeting the requirements:
a.) for chant shortening, you will have to say more of the spell script to use the spell, the mana cost would be higher, and the time that is needed to use the spell has increased.
b.) for chat revoking there will be a small delay before you are ready to use the spell and the mana cost has increased

Etc.

Last edited:

drakensji

You get the idea, though the magic system itself would determine if that type of magic is feasible. You have to be clear and precise when you do a spell since you don't want a spell to miss fire. the only exception to this is 'chant shortening' and 'chant revoking.'

Chant shortening would be where the caster would shorten the spell incantation. The results will vary depending on who cast the spell—the reason why is that it would depend on the understanding of the user. With chant shortening, you are trading the time needed to cast the spell with more mana. The reason why you are using more mana is that you are conveying more intent while saying less of the spell. Of course, if you want to use chant shortening, your understanding of the spell would need to be high. If you increase your understanding and your manipulation of mana and the spell respective element manipulation, then the cost would go down depending on how much effort you put in.

Chant revoking would be when the caster would get rid of the chant itself, though the mage in question can still use the chant. Chant revoking is similar to chant shortening, but the requirements are higher for this to become useable. Your understanding of the spell, along with the required manipulations of mana and elements will need to be to the point where you can be said to have mastered the spell. The cost would be more expensive than chant shorting, but the time needed to cast the spell would make up for it.

Note: the requirements listed are to make the concept be able to be used in battle. You can still use both concepts while not fully meeting the requirements, but the mana cost and time needed to cast the spell would increase.
ex: casting a fireball
1.) fully meeting the requirements:
a.) for chant shortening, you can use the spell by saying fireball or by just saying fire.
b.) for chant revoking, you can use the spell near-instantly, the speed of thought would limit the speed of the spell.

2.) not fully meeting the requirements:
a.) for chant shortening, you will have to say more of the spell script to use the spell, the mana cost would be higher, and the time that is needed to use the spell has increased.
b.) for chat revoking there will be a small delay before you are ready to use the spell and the mana cost has increased

Etc.
In many novels where mainstream magic works by chanting, often the mc will know/realize that the only necessary requirement is mental image (and sufficient mana) while the chanting is simply a mental crutch