Random post about Mass Effect Companions (Spoilers)

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
So this is a long opinionated post I'm making after playing Mass Effect Legendary Trilogy and spending upwards of 200 hours on it... it's a long trilogy...

Here's my list of Which are the best written to worst companions (meaning people who can actually go and fight next to you) and why.

1. Mordin Solus - In my opinion he is by far the best written character in the series. Reason being... he starts off with very different angles on the way he looks at things and has a personality that's not only extremely noticeable but also has comedic undertones. The way he words his sentences compared to other characters is extremely distinct, he has strong beliefs and opinions and those opinions actually change. Plus he doesn't tell jokes but says some of the most awkward and strange things about relationships.

2. Urdnot Rex - Great written character if he survives. He has his own sense of wishing things could be better, hating what happens in his race then going back to change it. Also learns diplomacy and keeping his head cool despite the race he comes from having a penchant for fighting and acting on emotion and anger rather than logic and reason. Plus, if you're his friend he's one of those guys you genuinely want on your side.

3. Tali - I honestly thought she was the best written female character in the series. A lot of that comes from the fact that her people are going through a crisis, and she's one of the few in her fleet who starts to think outside the box. There is also the issue with the Geth that gets resolved... and if it goes bad for her well... she doesn't meet a great end. Everything from the hardships her race goes through, her father having issues and loyalty is well developed throughout the three games. She also doesn't clearly fit a lot of the common archetypes that female characters are put through when written into a story.

4. Garrus - I know a lot of people would probably rank him higher on this list but for me the character seems to be more of a straight man who happens to constantly want revenge and how he develops is based on the choices the player makes. I thought he was a great character especially in Mass Effect 2.

5. Javik - All his quips and unique accent while calling everyone primitives are hilarious. I think I kept him on most missions and even replayed sections of the game with him as a companion just to hear his politically incorrect commentary and the way he learns to hold back what he is thinking because he knows it'll just cause people to be depressed. It's interesting because a lot of the things he says that are good are just him pretending to be nice so people don't lose faith in what he's preaching. He's basically a cynical person whom people look up to despite being from a race that was defeated with nothing left and hates that fact, but puts up with it and gives off good words because his hatred for the Reapers is stronger than his need to be honest.

5. Grunt - I guess the Krogans are my favorite race in this game. I liked them more than humans. They are hot headed, honest and just do and say what they mean. Grunt embodies a lot of that. His story in the citadel of what he did after recovering also made me laugh a lot. I think they got inspiration from The Hangover for that.

6. Legion - One of the more interesting characters I felt. Same with Mordin had a unique speech pattern like a computer. Also has a gamer profile.

7. EDI - This character grew on me. Especially the attempt at jokes. Depending on choices the way she turns from an AI to more humanoid was interesting.

8. Ashley Williams - A lot of people I've heard disliked her in Mass Effect 1 because of her apparent xenophobia towards aliens, but if you save her over Kaiden she develops a lot towards ME3. Compared to Kaiden I find her arc far more interesting. Kaiden is the guy all the girls like (at least I think he was written that way) and that inherently makes him boring to me. I suppose Kaiden makes BL lovers happy though.

9. Samara - I liked her character arc, especially if you try to romance her (which you only get a real scene if you have the Citadel DLC). She's not an annoying character because almost everything with her is straightforward. She says what she means and has a code that if you have enough charm/paragon points you can push towards a good direction.

Now on to characters I don't care for.

10. Jacob Taylor - At least he's not annoying. Boring character, doesn't have much of a character arc.

11. Thane - Just meh for me. He's an assassin that wants to save his son but quiet a lot.

12. Kaiden - not a bad character but not a great character. A meh character for me. HE's definitely a useful character as a squad mate due to biotic and durability especially on insane difficulty though. Much better than Ashley combat wise but much worse story/character development wise. At least he's not annoying, just boring.

13. Jack - Not a great character but I like her character development form psychotic tortured prisoner to school teacher.

14. James - He has some good comedy in here and there, but honestly very passable. I don't even know what his purpose is except maybe comic relief.

15. Miranda - Probably the first character I didn't like at all. Even her character development isn't great. There are logs of her trying to get pregnant due to her genetics and what not... she's quite the popular character

16. Zaeed - I'm not even sure why he was a character....

17. Liara - Funny that she is one of the most important characters in the series but also one of the most annoying ones for me. She tries to be like a wall flower, but at the same time they try to write her as a bad ass. Taking over for the shadow broker also didn't really change her much except perhaps that she started trusting others more. Liara is the kind of character I feel doesn't really belong in a story like this... but at the same time she's an alien species so I guess she has to do stuff.

18. Kasumi Goto - I hate this character. This is basically the thirsty asian girl stereotype. Lazy writing... bad lines.. no depth to her quirks. If they made this character a male he wouldn't get a pass making lines about the female members.

---- Just a random post after finishing my marathon. I don't expect anyone to read this.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
18. Kasumi Goto - I hate this character. This is basically the thirsty asian girl stereotype. Lazy writing... bad lines.. no depth to her quirks. If they made this character a male he wouldn't get a pass making lines about the female members.
Considering she's literally sold as an ME2 DLC when Bioware is hankering for that extra revenue, I'm not surprised. Ironically, it does fit her presence as a thief. If you're willing to shut off your brain on a contextual level, you can imagine that she's only putting up an unbreakable front harnessed from years of experience in making enemies across the galaxy. The only way you can dig through that extra layer is by posting on AO3 or imagining the possible romance scene Bioware cucked a few thousand yellow fever victims out of.

Bioware really fell from grace huh. I had hope for Anthem once, you know.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Considering she's literally sold as an ME2 DLC when Bioware is hankering for that extra revenue, I'm not surprised. Ironically, it does fit her presence as a thief. If you're willing to shut off your brain on a contextual level, you can imagine that she's only putting up an unbreakable front harnessed from years of experience in making enemies across the galaxy. The only way you can dig through that extra layer is by posting on AO3 or imagining the possible romance scene Bioware cucked a few thousand yellow fever victims out of.

Bioware really fell from grace huh. I had hope for Anthem once, you know.
I think most game developers got yellow fever. Almost every good looking asian character (or Asian represented character) is female. Blizzard and riot do this a lot as well.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
the very, very, very absolute best moment of the entire trilogy comes from Mordin (he and Legion are arguably the best because they're so distinct and quirky and managed to display more rounded human traits than most of the human characters).

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
the very, very, very absolute best moment of the entire trilogy comes from Mordin (he and Legion are arguably the best because they're so distinct and quirky and managed to display more rounded human traits than most of the human characters).
Most of the human characters in the game were boring in retrospect. I felt like the writers wanted to tone down the humans or give aliens races more distinct personalities which in turn made them more memorable because of how different they are from people in our everyday society.

If you ever played Mafia 3, John Donavon has an excellent secret scene at the end. A scene that makes him far more memorable than the main character in Mafia 3.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
So this is a long opinionated post I'm making after playing Mass Effect Legendary Trilogy and spending upwards of 200 hours on it... it's a long trilogy...

Here's my list of Which are the best written to worst companions (meaning people who can actually go and fight next to you) and why.

1. Mordin Solus - In my opinion he is by far the best written character in the series. Reason being... he starts off with very different angles on the way he looks at things and has a personality that's not only extremely noticeable but also has comedic undertones. The way he words his sentences compared to other characters is extremely distinct, he has strong beliefs and opinions and those opinions actually change. Plus he doesn't tell jokes but says some of the most awkward and strange things about relationships.

2. Urdnot Rex - Great written character if he survives. He has his own sense of wishing things could be better, hating what happens in his race then going back to change it. Also learns diplomacy and keeping his head cool despite the race he comes from having a penchant for fighting and acting on emotion and anger rather than logic and reason. Plus, if you're his friend he's one of those guys you genuinely want on your side.

3. Tali - I honestly thought she was the best written female character in the series. A lot of that comes from the fact that her people are going through a crisis, and she's one of the few in her fleet who starts to think outside the box. There is also the issue with the Geth that gets resolved... and if it goes bad for her well... she doesn't meet a great end. Everything from the hardships her race goes through, her father having issues and loyalty is well developed throughout the three games. She also doesn't clearly fit a lot of the common archetypes that female characters are put through when written into a story.

4. Garrus - I know a lot of people would probably rank him higher on this list but for me the character seems to be more of a straight man who happens to constantly want revenge and how he develops is based on the choices the player makes. I thought he was a great character especially in Mass Effect 2.

5. Javik - All his quips and unique accent while calling everyone primitives are hilarious. I think I kept him on most missions and even replayed sections of the game with him as a companion just to hear his politically incorrect commentary and the way he learns to hold back what he is thinking because he knows it'll just cause people to be depressed. It's interesting because a lot of the things he says that are good are just him pretending to be nice so people don't lose faith in what he's preaching. He's basically a cynical person whom people look up to despite being from a race that was defeated with nothing left and hates that fact, but puts up with it and gives off good words because his hatred for the Reapers is stronger than his need to be honest.

5. Grunt - I guess the Krogans are my favorite race in this game. I liked them more than humans. They are hot headed, honest and just do and say what they mean. Grunt embodies a lot of that. His story in the citadel of what he did after recovering also made me laugh a lot. I think they got inspiration from The Hangover for that.

6. Legion - One of the more interesting characters I felt. Same with Mordin had a unique speech pattern like a computer. Also has a gamer profile.

7. EDI - This character grew on me. Especially the attempt at jokes. Depending on choices the way she turns from an AI to more humanoid was interesting.

8. Ashley Williams - A lot of people I've heard disliked her in Mass Effect 1 because of her apparent xenophobia towards aliens, but if you save her over Kaiden she develops a lot towards ME3. Compared to Kaiden I find her arc far more interesting. Kaiden is the guy all the girls like (at least I think he was written that way) and that inherently makes him boring to me. I suppose Kaiden makes BL lovers happy though.

9. Samara - I liked her character arc, especially if you try to romance her (which you only get a real scene if you have the Citadel DLC). She's not an annoying character because almost everything with her is straightforward. She says what she means and has a code that if you have enough charm/paragon points you can push towards a good direction.

Now on to characters I don't care for.

10. Jacob Taylor - At least he's not annoying. Boring character, doesn't have much of a character arc.

11. Thane - Just meh for me. He's an assassin that wants to save his son but quiet a lot.

12. Kaiden - not a bad character but not a great character. A meh character for me. HE's definitely a useful character as a squad mate due to biotic and durability especially on insane difficulty though. Much better than Ashley combat wise but much worse story/character development wise. At least he's not annoying, just boring.

13. Jack - Not a great character but I like her character development form psychotic tortured prisoner to school teacher.

14. James - He has some good comedy in here and there, but honestly very passable. I don't even know what his purpose is except maybe comic relief.

15. Miranda - Probably the first character I didn't like at all. Even her character development isn't great. There are logs of her trying to get pregnant due to her genetics and what not... she's quite the popular character

16. Zaeed - I'm not even sure why he was a character....

17. Liara - Funny that she is one of the most important characters in the series but also one of the most annoying ones for me. She tries to be like a wall flower, but at the same time they try to write her as a bad ass. Taking over for the shadow broker also didn't really change her much except perhaps that she started trusting others more. Liara is the kind of character I feel doesn't really belong in a story like this... but at the same time she's an alien species so I guess she has to do stuff.

---- Just a random post after finishing my marathon. I don't expect anyone to read this.
NERD

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I think most game developers got yellow fever. Almost every good looking asian character (or Asian represented character) is female. Blizzard and riot do this a lot as well.
You should check out the mobile gaming scene in general. You'd think we're living in a Chinese supremacy femdom.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
*good-looking women. unless you like em wrinkly.
You forgot about the 1 child policy.
The numbers have become more even in recent times after the uplifting of it, but if you go to the country side where it's more agrarian that's where the numbers are drastic.
But since the Chinese often train their people to like submission... yeah femdom is huge there.