Random Question

Jihn

Your friendly neigh-borhood horsey!
But why do stories here get so many MORE reads compared to Wattpad or Tapas? Not complaining. I like it. Am just curious to know.

Khanx

Good question,

I can give my opinion, but it is all based on assumptions and cannot be confirmed.

There are several factors to consider:

1- Time: Usually the more time a webpage has the more users have and more people know it. You have to take into account that Tapas is quite recent and a lot of users from Scribble Hub come from Novel Updates since it has the same webmaster. This is one of the reasons why Scribble Hub has more reads than tapas.

2- User profile: Despite the fact that Tapas and Wattpad are websites about novels, the user profile is different. This is easy to see if you compare the types of depth of the novels published on the different websites. You would be able to see this if you compare Wattpad Novels with Scribble Hub or Tapas novels.

3- FREE: In general, people do not like to pay. Tapas has novels but is a website where you can buy novels, mangas, etc which makes people think that any novel there must be paid and then they avoid the website.

As I said, this is what I think (It doesn't have to be true), probably there are more factors included, such as usability, advertising, etc.

xluferx

You can narrow down your search filters Soo much

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
But why do stories here get so many MORE reads compared to Wattpad or Tapas? Not complaining. I like it. Am just curious to know.
As far as I know, wattpad doesnt have a latest update section. So you ikely wont know about a story unless you have found it through the users, or unless wattpad is promoting it or you actively search for a certain genre of story.

Here, there IS. A latest chapter section. So any story recently updated will be displayed, making it easier to find a story and easier to find a wider variety in terms of genre. As there is no filter.

Wattpad relies heavily on authors networking. They make a story and share it with friends. They read other people's stories and ask if people can read theirs in return. So unless you have really good marketing skills or are very active and sociable, you wont find many stories or wont go have your own story read. Wattpad caters to a top 1 percent, I've found.

Jihn

As far as I know, wattpad doesnt have a latest update section. So you ikely wont know about a story unless you have found it through the users, or unless wattpad is promoting it or you actively search for a certain genre of story.

Here, there IS. A latest chapter section. So any story recently updated will be displayed, making it easier to find a story and easier to find a wider variety in terms of genre. As there is no filter.

Wattpad relies heavily on authors networking. They make a story and share it with friends. They read other people's stories and ask if people can read theirs in return. So unless you have really good marketing skills or are very active and sociable, you wont find many stories or wont go have your own story read. Wattpad caters to a top 1 percent, I've found.
Yeah, which is a pain in the arse. They should have a latets update section, even if changes a lot. Even in the categories, like they used to do. Yes, I appreciate that. People get a moment to shine, which is nice. Yeah, I think this horse needs to be more active and sociable. If you get past 10k or something, doesn't you book start to look after itsself?

Valmond

Yeah, which is a pain in the arse. They should have a latets update section, even if changes a lot. Even in the categories, like they used to do. Yes, I appreciate that. People get a moment to shine, which is nice. Yeah, I think this horse needs to be more active and sociable. If you get past 10k or something, doesn't you book start to look after itsself?
Barely on Wattpad now. Before, when the forums were active, above 10k, your story would have kept growing at a consistent pace. However, on Wattpad specifically your story needs reach 50k for it to really start earning its keep I guess you can say. In short, it does not work out from good standing point. They also lack an in depth search engine to filter. The site is a mess, more or less, it punishes authors more than other sites I have come to notice.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Barely on Wattpad now. Before, when the forums were active, above 10k, your story would have kept growing at a consistent pace. However, on Wattpad specifically your story needs reach 50k for it to really start earning its keep I guess you can say. In short, it does not work out from good standing point. They also lack an in depth search engine to filter. The site is a mess, more or less, it punishes authors more than other sites I have come to notice.
Better to just post on multiple sites, get a collective reader base, then start a patreon or make your own website using those free templates. That way after you establish a reader base through multiple sites you can consolidate it in one place.

I think a lot of authors on RRL did that. That dude who made Forgotten Conqueror did.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's because our one-star stories are better than our five-star stories!

Daitengu

I've been on novel updates since it's creation. Mainly because I came from manga updates, which I was around for years before they stopped linking manga chapters. So I gave SH a shot since I liked the other sites.

I think the cross site links get new blood. And the layout and search are way user friendly compared to Wattpad. I just can't find shit there, and I only ever read stuff from authors here or on royal road that link to their Wattpad works.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
It's appealing to the eyes. Imagine opening scribblehub, then being welcomed by at least 4 girls from waifulabs. At least, that's what I saw when I first came here.

Jihn

Yeah, nowadays. If the story has no potential of making Wattpad any money, it seems like it's going to be shoved to the side and ignored. If it fits the mould, and probably has enough keywords, it will do a lot better it seems. Maybe that's an experiment for another day.
Better to just post on multiple sites, get a collective reader base, then start a patreon or make your own website using those free templates. That way after you establish a reader base through multiple sites you can consolidate it in one place.

I think a lot of authors on RRL did that. That dude who made Forgotten Conqueror did.
Yeah, maybe I am thinking of doing that. Gofundme seems cool as well.
It's because our one-star stories are better than our five-star stories!
;)
I've been on novel updates since it's creation. Mainly because I came from manga updates, which I was around for years before they stopped linking manga chapters. So I gave SH a shot since I liked the other sites.

I think the cross site links get new blood. And the layout and search are way user friendly compared to Wattpad. I just can't find shit there, and I only ever read stuff from authors here or on royal road that link to their Wattpad works.
Yeah, SH is pretty cool, from what I have seen so far. Yeah, it's very user friendly, which is good. I should do cross-platform pollination, to be honest and merge userbases, but it takes work.
It's appealing to the eyes. Imagine opening scribblehub, then being welcomed by at least 4 girls from waifulabs. At least, that's what I saw when I first came here.
Minus the last part, yes. ScribbleHub has been nothing but welcoming to me, which is good.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I'm going to say it's because of the latest chapter section. I'm using my laptop so I don't know about phones, but it's right there on my computer screen. You just gotta scroll down. There's only so many featured stories before you can find the rest underneath. I am noticing a lot of people clicking on my story here than Webnovel, which is the other service I am uploading it too. I got it on Tapas too, just uploaded two chapters, and nobody is reading it there. I haven't tried Wattpad, but I'm going to upload it there to see how it does, but from what I see, there's not much chance for just a casual reader to stumble on your story. Nothing but promos.

That's the limit to what I think is happening. I'm still experimenting, but it appears that making it easy for people to find your story is one of the keys to getting readers.

Jihn

alkwys
I'm going to say it's because of the latest chapter section. I'm using my laptop so I don't know about phones, but it's right there on my computer screen. You just gotta scroll down. There's only so many featured stories before you can find the rest underneath. I am noticing a lot of people clicking on my story here than Webnovel, which is the other service I am uploading it too. I got it on Tapas too, just uploaded two chapters, and nobody is reading it there. I haven't tried Wattpad, but I'm going to upload it there to see how it does, but from what I see, there's not much chance for just a casual reader to stumble on your story. Nothing but promos.

That's the limit to what I think is happening. I'm still experimenting, but it appears that making it easy for people to find your story is one of the keys to getting readers.
I see. Yeah, Wattpad is a pain in the ass at times to find new material. Tapas is more comic orientated afaik. Yeah, experimenting is fun and ease of access comes through promotion as well.

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I don't know for sure but I think it might be related to the exposure the stories get overall.
In Wattpad, discovering new work is extremely troublesome since you have to scroll down a lot, or search for it specifically in the search bar.
In Tapas I think it's because some of the works (or all of them, I am not very familiar with the website!) are paid and due to not having a small discovery factor as well.
Here you have the Latest Updates which allow new readers to find new stories that are still being updated and even the Latest Releases which covers the new stories that just came out. All of these factors allow a majority of readers to see your story.

I can even tell you something by experience. I published some chapters on WattPad and only got around 30 views on all of them while the first chapter I posted here got over 300+ views straight away. I am pretty sure it is related to these but once again these are just my assumptions. :blobtaco:

EternalSunset0

Mostly this, from an experience standpoint.