Ratings with stars on Scribblehub

OP1000

When rating a story on SH, how do you rate a story? What qualifications should a story have for you to rate as 1-star,2-star,....,5-star?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I do 1 star for each category, enjoyment, grammar and spelling, pros, storyline, and characters. Each category has a score of 1 - 10 where 6 or more is equal to 1 star, 3 to 5 is half a star, and 2 or less is no star. final score reveals the rating. if I enjoy it, the grammar and spelling is good, the pros are good for the story, the story is good, and the characters are multidimensional then it gets a full 5 stars.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Whether or not it was good. If it is good, I give it a good rating. If it is bad, I give it a 1 star.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
If there is “George” in the authorship it’s instant 1 star.

LilRora

Mostly formless
For me it would be something like:
1-star: awful storyline and characters, or simply unreadable.
2-star: glaring mistakes and nonsensical parts that make it hard to read, or bad characters and plot.
3-star: multiple noticeable mistakes and unclear parts, in grammar, plot, and characters that make it hard to read smoothly.
4-star: good story, some things that could have been done better, but that don't affect readability.
5-star: very readable story with little to no errors; mostly flawless pacing and plot.
+- 1 star cause preferences and other things.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I am simple man, I base it simply on my own enjoyment and that is it.

5 - Had a really good time with the story / check back frequently for new chapters.

4 - I enjoyed it, even if it was a one-time read only.

3 - It was okay to pass some time, maybe I am going to finish it one day.

and that is it. If I dont enjoy a story for whatever reason, I don’t get far in it anyway to give a correct feedback/rating. (10-15 chapters is a minimum to even leave one. At least for me)

I don’t know if the author had some feedback later on in the comments and improved the story or not. I don’t know if something I didn’t like was a plot point that gets explained later or not. I don’t know if I dislike xyz character and its actions is something that later changes or not. I do not assume anything because I am not the one writing it.

So i simply go and find something else and that is it. 2 star would be something for me if I stuck around until the end and the author drops the story or butchers the ending. 1 star for troll / click hunting bullshit or stolen work.

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
I just give four to five stars if I had fun else don't give a star at all

ACertainPassingUser

I'm biased because its convenient.

Being based is tiring.

Im too lazy leave review until a story fits my taste, preference, and of course my whim.

But I only give 5 star review recently because one story fits my whimsical mood.

Idk what kind of review I do later on, but probably another whimsical impulse review.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If it's my story, give it one star 😇

J_Chemist

SO YOU SEE EACH HALF STAR IS KINDA LIKE-
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
Personally, I don't factor if I like the story or not into it at all, I purely go by quality.

1 - Utterly horrifying and hurts to try to read.
2 - Rampant mistakes in spelling, grammar, and/or logic.
3 - About average, some mistakes here and there, but easily readable.
4 - Very well written, very few errors of any type.
5 - Nearly perfect in every way.

Unfortunately, since rating most stories like this would drop the rating, I tend to not rate most stories. There have been several I didn't like but thought were worth 4-5 stars though.

If I remembered to rate things, which I don't
and if every corporate app hadn't skewed these scales to "anything less than the max rating is utterly unacceptable garbage", which they have

In a case like that, I might have a system something like

1: Stories that actually pissed me off with how bad they were and also everything by K5Rakitan
2: Stories that I couldn't finish because they weren't good enough
3: Stories that weren't a waste of my time but they didn't leave an impression either
4: Stories that are good but could clearly do better
5: Stories that severely impressed me

But alas, we live in this world, where instead I never rate shit.

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
I just rate 4.5 to 5 the stories that I like, and leave unrated those I don't.
If I find a story that really, really are so bad they look they were written by an untrained mokey who was picked by his horrible luck when typing random letters and signs in a keyboard (Yes, that is a comparison, stop looking at me like that!) I just make fun of it with my pals.
But since other people might enjoy it, I just leave it as it is.
Which is probably why I've only rated RavensDagger's fictions, and Mother of Learning. Those are the only ones that left the 'uh, I have to rate this shit' impression in me.

Frank-9976

surrealist shortform writer
Wanna know what I get overly worked up about? The fact you can RATE YOUR OWN STORY. Like, I can't tell if it's like Reddit where you are expected to upvote your own posts, or if it's like YouTube where there's some shame in it. HELP

Zakuro

Crushed Pomegranate
Wanna know what I get overly worked up about? The fact you can RATE YOUR OWN STORY. Like, I can't tell if it's like Reddit where you are expected to upvote your own posts, or if it's like YouTube where there's some shame in it. HELP
Adding a rating to a story force the story's statistics to update. It's an "update statistics" button if you don't want to wait 24 hours for the story's views/reader count to change.