Read button

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
I made a query ("read") and the only relevant topic is "Marked as read".

Given a paperback novel, I would start at the front and if I could not finish in one seating, I would use a bookmark or scrap paper to remind me later where I left off. (I sometimes still have the odd habit of leafing from the back with magazines.)

As of now, the Read button is only correct the first time, when we have not yet begun reading anything from a series. Subsequent readings will have us consulting the index. This is not an inconvenience when there are 50 or fewer chapters or when our tick marks are within the last 50 entries. Any series with more than 50 entries would mean making at least one extra server request to find our bookmarks.

The Read button could jump to the next chapter if the first chapter has already heen bookmarked. Optionally, it could be disabled when there are no remaining unread chapters.

Moshi

I just tested the Read button, and it works fine for me - it goes the the bookmarked chapter. Maybe flair this as a bug report if this still happens?

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Thanks. It works now (as intended by the site creator I guess as it does go to the bookmarked chapter and not the first unread one).

I'm supposing the error on my side is that chapters have not been getting bookmarked properly from within the chapter even after the cute little green checkmark had shown itself.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Current paradigm: bookmark marks a chapter the reader wishes to go back to. Probably heavily influenced by how browser bookmarks are used. Even image viewers use bookmarks this way.

The Read button takes the reader to the bookmarked chapter. However, if the reader had previously finished reading a chapter and decided to take a break, it would be unnatural to go to the next chapter just to bookmark it. Also not possible if the next chapter is not yet available. In either case, on the next visit, the reader ends up having to open the already finished chapter before moving to the desired target chapter.

Requested paradigm: bookmark marks the last chapter the reader has finished reading. No tick mark if the reader hasn't finished reading the first chapter yet.

The Read button always takes the reader to the target chapter--the chapter after the bookmark. (Makes bookmark timer function inapplicable.)

The green tick functionality gets relegated to the next button. Pressing the next button will bookmark the current chapter as read before jumping (if appropriate as the bookmark shouldn't be moved if the reader is just checking or rereading previous chapters). The next button will also do the bookmarking even if there's no next chapter.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Current paradigm: bookmark marks a chapter the reader wishes to go back to. Probably heavily influenced by how browser bookmarks are used. Even image viewers use bookmarks this way.

The Read button takes the reader to the bookmarked chapter. However, if the reader had previously finished reading a chapter and decided to take a break, it would be unnatural to go to the next chapter just to bookmark it. Also not possible if the next chapter is not yet available. In either case, on the next visit, the reader ends up having to open the already finished chapter before moving to the desired target chapter.

Requested paradigm: bookmark marks the last chapter the reader has finished reading. No tick mark if the reader hasn't finished reading the first chapter yet.

The Read button always takes the reader to the target chapter--the chapter after the bookmark. (Makes bookmark timer function inapplicable.)

The green tick functionality gets relegated to the next button. Pressing the next button will bookmark the current chapter as read before jumping (if appropriate as the bookmark shouldn't be moved if the reader is just checking or rereading previous chapters). The next button will also do the bookmarking even if there's no next chapter.
Would like to note that at least for series that takes FOREVER to update, I like at least skimming the most recently read chapter to remind myself what happened.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
@binarysoap, for those, I could go skimming through several older chapters, not just the last read one. Sometimes, I even end up rereading everything when years have passed (scenario n/a here).

I stand by my request as the more natural mechanism with regards to a reader who is currently reading a story that has already many chapters, taking breaks from time to time, and won't be affected by author update frequency in the meantime.