Reader Reception: SH vs RR! (rant warning: f-bombs abound)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Still, I support Jay's idea on this idea (Unlike you, my personality is similar to Jay's in creating broad connection). For instance, there are many aspects to love. But romantic love contains an instinctual attraction that cannot be fully separated from sexual impulse. If you agree on that, it means that any romantic tagged story taps into the sexual channel of wish fulfillment. In fact, romantic love has also a part of excitement about the unknown, meaning romantic love doesn't need to fully understand a person and love them for who they are, instead romantic love needs the minimum amount of sexual desire.
I mean... With this kind of connection, you're essentially saying that the Romance Genre is sexual in nature.

With this kind of extremely broad definition... Uhn... Sure, if we say that Romance = Sexual, then yeah, most stories on this website would be sexual in nature, because... Well, the vast majority of fiction, in general, has romance.

But I don't think this definition serves much of a purpose? It's why we have different genres for things. Ecchi for the more fanservicy, Smut (and Adult, though it can be misused so needs to be checked on a case by case basis) for lewd stuff, and Romance for just... Well, Romance.

It's like... The whole point of stuff like Smut is to point people towards the sexual stuff... If you wanna read the love-related stuff, you go after Romance. They're separate. I don't see much point in trying to group them together, the definition just loses its meaning at this point.

... Anyways, I think we have hijacked this for way too long. I just wanted to correct one misconception that people kept spreading and ended up totally hijacking the thread that has nothing to do with the whole discussion.

I like discussing with you though. It seems like we're at least getting words across and listening to one another, even if not necessarily agreeing~

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I mean... With this kind of connection, you're essentially saying that the Romance Genre is sexual in nature.
Yes, it's just a proposition

With this kind of extremely broad definition
I didn't mean it as a definition. It's a connection between a genre and its underlying effect on the psychology of the reader.

With this kind of extremely broad definition... Uhn... Sure, if we say that Romance = Sexual, then yeah, most stories on this website would be sexual in nature, because... Well, the vast majority of fiction, in general, has romance.
You are correct it would be bad to reduce Romance to sexuality. So instead, just treat the sexual nature as something that runs in the background, underneath the Romance.

Sexuality has many ways to manifest themselves, Romance (usual thing of dating, learning each other, getting jealous, getting betrayed, all the drama, etc) is one of the many ways it can express itself. I believe that it is still relevant to separate the many different ways to express.

It's why we have different genres for things. Ecchi for the more fanservicy, Smut, and Adult
You are exactly correct. There are many ways to tap into sexuality. Ecchi for teasing, Smut for explicit. In fact, you've showed numbers that tells that explicit sex isn't the most appealing to the readerbase.

For an analogy, let's say Sexuality is sugar. The different ways of cooking the sugar would be the genres. That's why we'd encompass Romance, Harem, Genderbender, Smut, Ecchi together in a same major group that shares the commonality of using sugar. I understand that such a loose group based on a dubious commonality might not end up meaningful and disconnected from the real results about popularity.

In fact, if I'm not mistaking, that's exactly the same stance that Jay has about Action/Adventure. It's proposed that they're so widespread that they lose their meaningfulness. But as per previous post, you disagreed on that point and supported its relevance.

Edit: Also I hear your argument for not attributing fulfillment of sexual nature to genderbender. There is room for interpretation. Sometimes it's innocent, sometimes the comedy about turning on your homie is definitely sus. Sometimes, it's sexually fulfilling that the genderbent character becomes attractive to their original gender. It's indeed a weakness of the reasoning that demands a leap of logic (making assumptions) and I understand that you disagree with the reductive notion that genderbender is sexual fulfillment.

It's like... The whole point of stuff like Smut is to point people towards the sexual stuff... If you wanna read the love-related stuff, you go after Romance. They're separate.
Yes, they stay separate. Some people may prefer refined sweet bread, over the decadent cream that splurt all over... Some snort it all raw.

What SH readers want is a substantial amount of sugar to inject in their veins.

---
Ok I'll stop with the flimsy unsubstantial groundless analogies.

But even a sigma grindset cool MC gets girls to swoon over him. Even if MC never settles down and doesn't explicitly have sex with harem girls, it's still a sort of sexual wishfulfillment for the reader. Like, maybe we could classify James Bond harem story lol. Jay and I believe that even the little amount of of sexual fulfillment is enough to gain popularity on SH (even in the tiniest amount that it shouldn't be necessary to tag it as such).

It's already very common to have romance subplot in stories (simps that are implied to be OK for sexual intimacy even if they never do it). Now, having romance subplot with multiple characters (harem simps) is socially degenerate but it's a sure to hit the monkey braincells of the reader. On the other hand, keeping the protagonist a loser and socially undesirable is the saddest reminder of reality, why bother reading xD

I like discussing with you though. It seems like we're at least getting words across and listening to one another, even if not necessarily agreeing~
Thank you, understanding each other's differences and individuality is the key to appreciate each others. I like discussing with you too, your ideas are always explicitly without leaving room to misunderstanding. It can be difficult for some people to convey their ideas to you because most people make unconscious hypostheses and assumptions in their reasoning that appear invinsible to them and are lost in the communication. That's why I could mediate in this discussion (because it's more apparent for third parties and I probed Jay's ideas on discord)

Last edited:

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Same thing for Gender Bender and GL. Neither of those imply sex in any way.

GB, GL, HAREm, Genderbender, ARE SEX!!!!!!!!!!!!
To bring the thread back to the original topic while also making it related to the tangent that happened:

Did you know that one of the reasons why RR does not have tags like GL/yuri or BL/yaoi is because the owners/admins of the site thought that those tags are sexual in nature and thus deliberately left them out despite people asking for them? And then a lot of readers complain about surprise homosexuality in RR stories. Geez, if only if there was a tag or something to let the readers know...

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
To bring the thread back to the original topic while also making it related to the tangent that happened:

Did you know that one of the reasons why RR does not have tags like GL/yuri or BL/yaoi is because the owners/admins of the site thought that those tags are sexual in nature and thus deliberately left them out despite people asking for them? And then a lot of readers complain about surprise homosexuality in RR stories. Geez, if only if there was a tag or something to let the readers know...
Oh, right, I remember hearing about this one.

I don't know the admins of RR, nor did I ever interact with anyone on that site, but... Honestly, it really felt like a dumb excuse.

Like, if they think that GL/Yuri/BL/Yaoi are sexual genres in nature (which is not true, but whatever), couldn't they just... Use a non-sexual word to fulfill the same purpose?

Like... Lesbian Romance? Gay Romance? Homosexual Romance? Anything like that could work and it would provide what people were asking for... If their problem was just the terminology in itself, then I just don't see why they wouldn't choose a different terminology to avoid the sexualization (which is not inherent to the genre at all) that they were worried about.

... I honestly wonder if anyone actually tried suggesting it on RR with those terms. I do remember seeing the requests for GL/Yuri/BL/Yaoi back in the day (I found out about it through Novelupdates and did a quick search to be sure, because I was baffled by hearing that and wanted to see if it was really true) being rejected for this reason of sexualization, but I didn't see anyone ask for a simple Homosexual Romance genre... Though well, I never really searched for it. I don't browse RR, after all.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Wow! I didn't notice that while I was there!

proxybaba

well, Sh readers are silent, they do read but express little, whether it's good or bad but RR readers will definitely express their views f they found something bad in the work. and honestly, SH is turned into smut hub and RR into litRpg, anything else does not generate enough traffic on both sites
I posted on RR and got 2 views. Which I assume was my self and the person who approved the story.
the formula to succeed in RR is to have decent writing skills AND update two chapters daily till you hit the chapter 30 mark. if you stop before it, then it will be hard to gain readers

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Well, let me just review...

HKN is a story which is litRPG, but I keep all the mechanics hidden. The MC gets the crap beat out of him fir the first 20 chapters, then the next 80 chapters is him crawling his way up to the point people start to finally, in chapter 100, begin to treat him like an equal.

Sounds like pure kryptonite to RR readers to me. But you tell me.

ShipTeaser

I dunno, I get broadly the same level of negative feedback on both sites.... and usually about the same things... maybe I'm just sort of in the target demographic for both sites? (Litrpg style with sex?)

In terms of engagement though RR is skewed so if you don't hit rising stars you vanish, whereas here I've no idea, as I pop in and out of daily activity with seemingly no correlation to my engagement lol...

So yeah, I think people can be as harsh on both sites, but negative feedback and low ratings sink you way worse on RR so it might feel worse?

Or I could be way off base as I only have one story lol

melchi

What is a custom title?
Well, let me just review...

HKN is a story which is litRPG, but I keep all the mechanics hidden. The MC gets the crap beat out of him fir the first 20 chapters, then the next 80 chapters is him crawling his way up to the point people start to finally, in chapter 100, begin to treat him like an equal.

Sounds like pure kryptonite to RR readers to me. But you tell me.
Personally I think people in this thread are over-generalizing because of a few responses. You can post there and try it out if you want. For me the main reason not to be an author on roal road is because they paywall stuff like editing older chapters. Content is king. Why would someone want to give authors an insensitive to go to other sites?

I would agree that people interact more then and one will generally get more views but the rest of the stuff is a bit specific to certain cases.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Personally I think people in this thread are over-generalizing because of a few responses. You can post there and try it out if you want. For me the main reason not to be an author on roal road is because they paywall stuff like editing older chapters. Content is king. Why would someone want to give authors an insensitive to go to other sites?

I would agree that people interact more then and one will generally get more views but the rest of the stuff is a bit specific to certain cases.
Wait, if I want to edit something to correct a spelling error, I gave to pay money?