Reader Reception: SH vs RR! (rant warning: f-bombs abound)

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Saying Action and Adventure is the most popular is like saying “Readable by humans” is the most popular genre.
Those are not the same and you know they are not the same. Action/Adventure is not on the #5 story listed on your own screenshot.

If there were no stories without Action/Adventure that were popular on Scribblehub, then you'd never get a high-ranking story without it. Your screenshot proves you false. I don't get what you're trying to get at here. You, yourself, proved my point that Action/Adventure is the most popular genre by a large margin.
And stop pretending HAREM does not equal Sex.
It does not. It means multiple love interests. It's not my fault that you don't know the definition of the genre.
all of the BS I highlighted in all of the stories shows that SEX IS THE DRIVER on this website.
Gender Bender has absolutely nothing to do with sex, and I think you honestly need help if you seriously believe that. Try looking up the word transgender in a dictionary for one.

GL is just a subgenre of romance that involves two girls. There is absolutely nothing sexual about it unless stated otherwise. I don't know how you don't know that by this point. It's literally lesbian romance... If you think that lesbian romance is sexual by default, then you are just completely out of your mind. Try reading any popular GL manga before trying to say this kind of absurdity (I suggest "Whisper Me A Love Song", by the way).

And you even highlighted an isekai story. What's your excuse on this one? You think Isekai is sexual? You think Digimon is sexual now? I don't know what even led you to think that.
Action and adventure is just the wrapper it is wrapped in.
Except for the stories that aren't neither Action nor Adventure, right? Especially those rare stories that are able to succeed and reach the top rankings without the need of Action/Adventure. Being the exception, proving the norm that the most popular stories are Action/Adventure.
Stop pretending this site is a literature site, because the EVERY SINGLE DAY TRENDING proves you wrong. People are up here for their KINKS!!! not for action and adventure.
Your own list of Trending had a single Smut novel. What are you even talking about? You're just proving my point.

9 Action/Adventure. 1 Smut. The point makes itself without me even trying.

If you seriously believe that Harem is sexual, then you should look up the genre definition. It's not.

If you seriously believe Gender Bender is sexual, then you're absolutely lacking in basic information about things that people actually care about and struggle through in life. Go inform yourself.

If you think GL (Lesbian Romance) is sexual, then you need to try actually reading almost any popular GL manga. Almost any of them is non-sexual and is just fluffy shoujo, but with two girls... Seriously, just go read. It's not that hard. And you'll probably like it for as long as you like Shoujo, since they're very similar.

And if you think Isekai is sexual... Go watch Digimon? I have no clue why you considered this one.
your argument can easily be destroyed.

View attachment 16846

Good lord

View attachment 16847
And now you're quoting the points from that person that was also completely uninformed to try proving your point?

I already gave you the definitions. I gave the definitions to that person too. I have no clue why they were so obnoxious and refused to understand the basic definitions of the website, but that was their problem. I hope you can be better than that and actually look up the definitions, because they're easily available.

JayDirex

I'm not pretending, and I'm not obtuse. I'm not saying that smut, GB, harem, or GL is UNPOPULAR. I'm not saying that sex is UNPOPULAR on SH. I'm saying people who constantly say that GL and or smut is the only way to reach popularity took the joke too far. It's one thing to joke about this once or twice, and it's absolutely another one to say this seriously to every newcomer. If you simply look at series finder yourself, you will find out that LitRPG has the same level of popularity as GL, or smut, or GL smut. However, no one mentions this. Also, one day of trending =\= proving your point.
it proves my point because i didn't have to look. I went RIGHT TO TRENDING. just like I would have any day. And as far as the joke of GL and GB being the only way to gain popularity may be a "Slight ever so slight, exxageration" is putting a lot of their faith in their non-sexual story.

Listen. stop the absolutism and work with percentages. EVERYTHING in the top 25 every SINGLE DAY is sexual in nature. So to tell a newcomer "You could write a story not sexual in nature" and be popular may be technically true

"TECHNICALLY"

But it is the HEIGHT of disingenuous to pretend that a non-sexual story is on an even course of gaining popularity with a sexual tagged story on SH.

People come to this site FOR THEIR KINKS!!!!!! They are not here for Seiso stories.

JayDirex

1674139814420.png

WOW

this is delusion and the end of this convo.

AliceShiki

EVERYTHING in the top 25 every SINGLE DAY is sexual in nature. So to tell a newcomer "You could write a story not sexual in nature" and be popular may be technically true
1/10 stories on trending had Smut. What are you even talking about?
People come to this site FOR THEIR KINKS!!!!!! They are not here for Seiso stories.
Except for all the stories without Smut that are very popular and successful here. Many of which you listed yourself.
View attachment 16848

WOW

this is delusion and the end of this convo.
If you seriously think that Gender Bender is sexual in nature... Then you've never read any serious Gender Bender novel.

Or rather, even the comedic ones tend to not be sexual in nature. It's absurd that you think that it is... Did you ever read any Gender Bender novel? Or manga? Or anything that wasn't an R-18 doujinshi that involved Gender Bender?

JayDirex

Unless you have some kind of proof and statistics, the obtuse one is you.
my dude :cautious: Every. single. Effing day. you can go to trending and find that most of the top 25 have sexual nature tags.

GB, GL, HAREm, Genderbender, ARE SEX!!!!!!!!!!!!

SailusGebel

my dude :cautious: Every. single. Effing day. you can go to trending and find that most of the top 25 have sexual nature tags.

EVERYTHING in the top 25 every SINGLE DAY is sexual in nature.
Ranked 15 by the way.

AliceShiki

Please list to me the sexual content in the following series:

Whisper Me A Love Song (#1 manga in the yurihime magazine)

Sword Art Online (an extremely popular harem novel)

Love Me for Who I Am (an extremely popular gender bender manga)
Listen. stop the absolutism and work with percentages.
Also, I am the one working with percentages. The one using absolutes is you. Why are you telling me to do what I'm already doing when you're not doing it yourself?

SailusGebel

Ranked 9
Ranked 16
But I guess I'm the one who should stop absolutism, and I have forced you to say.
EVERYTHING in the top 25 every SINGLE DAY is sexual in nature.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
I think Jay's initial statement might have been underexplained and using loose/broad logical connection, leading to miscommunication with Alice's accurate way of using terms and wariness to connect ideas based on ungrounded data.

Jay's premise is that the highly successful works on SH delivers strong elements of wish-fulfillment. This can happen by tapping through different aspects of the psyche.
Now, action and adventure may deliver the minimum requirement of emotional fulfillment of triumph after hardship, but Jay specifically highlights that tapping into the sexual instincts of the reader's psyche is an additional channel to easily deliver wish-fulfillment into SH reader's throat. And that this channel is too good to pass up to climb in popularity.

If you don't tap into that channel, your work not only demands a bigger initial investment of attention from the reader for an uncertain payoff, it is aslo in direct competition to more rounded high debit wish-fulfillment.

Meanwhile, RR will filter out the works that rely on the sexual side of wish-fulfillment, and will demand stronger stories that hold their own without it.

Do you agree with my interpretation?

SailusGebel

I think Jay's initial statement might have been underexplained and using loose/broad logical connection, leading to miscommunication with Alice's accurate way of using terms and wariness to connect ideas based on ungrounded data.

Jay's premise is that the highly successful works on SH delivers strong elements of wish-fulfillment. This can happen by tapping through different aspects of the psyche.
Now, action and adventure may deliver the minimum requirement of emotional fulfillment of triumph after hardship, but Jay specifically highlights that tapping into the sexual instincts of the reader's psyche is an additional channel to easily deliver wish-fulfillment into SH reader's throat. And that this channel is too good to pass up to climb in popularity.

If you don't tap into that channel, your work not only demands a bigger initial investment of attention from the reader for an uncertain payoff, it is aslo in direct competition to more rounded high debit wish-fulfillment.

Meanwhile, RR will filter out the works that rely on the sexual side of wish-fulfillment, and will demand stronger stories that hold their own without it.

It could work. If not for the fact that even this small forum full of degenerates has people who HATE smut, harem, and everything sexual. It's not like you expand your readerbase by adding smut. You definitely attract certain readers, but at the same time, you alienate other readers.

AliceShiki

Oh, I totally agree that wish-fulfillment is very popular here. No disagreements there.
I never denied that Smut is popular in Scribblehub either. We're in complete agreement here. Smut IS popular. Writing Smut is definitely a very valid way of gaining popularity here in Scribblehub.

... It's just not even close to being the most popular genre. And it has heavy competition for #3 spot... As in, you don't need to write sexual content to be popular here, because plenty (as in, the majority) of popular stories here do not have sexual content in them.
I highly agree with the part of Wish-fulfillment being one of the best ways of becoming popular here.

I don't agree with your interpretation of Jay's points, because... Well, you're saying very different things from what Jay said. Jay seems plain uninformed on basic genre definitions.
I think Jay's initial statement might have been underexplained and using loose logical connection, leading to miscommunication with Alice's accurate way of using terms and wariness to connect ideas based on ungrounded data.
Oh, and yes, I hate people using ungrounded data. It's why I make sure to check my data carefully for those things.

People spread a lot of hearsay that isn't backed by the numbers, and I hate that. It's why I check the numbers first and make my conclusions later.

JayDirex

Tiss. you folks went and found a handful of stories just to nit pick.

And I'm not playing your RIDICULOUS game. anyone with two eyes, and spittle, not even A FUCKING MODICUM of sense in their head can see, when they come to this site, from the Trending pages ALONE.

THAT THE MAJORITY OF THE STORIES ON SH
have tags that indicate "Gender or situations that are/ or could be sexual in nature." FUCKING PERIOD.

And if you want to believe different, that that is your right. NO as a matter of fact. YOU ARE BOTH RIGHT @AliceShiki @SailusGebel

This website is a SEISO as it gets. The readers that come here are here for hand holding, or just action for the sake of action. just ignore all the other tags.

BECAUSE YOU TWO ARE RIGHT!!! I WAS WRONG.

I'm just imagining that most of the stories up here have tags that make one think of GENITALIA have to be sexual in nature.

What was I thinking?????????????? Genderbender? Oh it must be a psychological struggle for the young man to wake up one day as a woman and I want to read his psychological. right?

NO!! IT'S A FUCKING KINK AND PEOPLE ARE UP HERE TO READ THAT KINK!!!

Gaslighting clowns.

M.G.Driver

Please list to me the sexual content in the following series:

Whisper Me A Love Song (#1 manga in the yurihime magazine)

Sword Art Online (an extremely popular harem novel)

Love Me for Who I Am (an extremely popular gender bender manga)

Also, I am the one working with percentages. The one using absolutes is you. Why are you telling me to do what I'm already doing when you're not doing it yourself?
I just wanted to say SAO had a sex scene in season 1 story.

AliceShiki

Tiss. you folks went and found a handful of stories just to nit pick.
You mean the #1 story on the yurihime magazine (the biggest GL magazine in Japan)? One of the most popular harem novels of all time? And one of the best gender benders in the market?

I didn't nitpick. I picked the best of the best (among the stories I know, of course) to prove my point.

There are tons and tons of others. I just picked the most popular ones.
What was I thinking?????????????? Genderbender? Oh it must be a psychological struggle for the young man to wake up one day as a woman and I want to read his psychological. right?
The vast majority of Gender Bender stories either do exactly that, or play it for comedic effect, or it's something that is mostly irrelevant throughout the entire story.

The sexual ones are the vast minority. The comedic ones are the majority. The serious ones are of a high number. The irrelevant ones are a minority.

Why do I know that? Because I read Gender Bender... How many Gender Bender did you read? Seriously. How many? Do you know anything about what you're talking about? Because you don't seem to know anything about it.

Or Harem. Or GL... Seriously, did you ever read any story of those genres? Because you don't seem to have read those at all.
I just wanted to say SAO had a sex scene in season 1 story.
I'm aware it existed in the Webnovel. It was removed in the Light Novel though (as in, it's not shown explicitly, though you know the sex did happen).

The anime also doesn't depict it.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
It could work. If not for the fact that even this small forum full of degenerates has people who HATE smut, harem, and everything sexual. It's not like you expand your readerbase by adding smut. You definitely attract certain readers, but at the same time, you alienate other readers.
It's indeed the case. Sexual drive is mostly an inborn instinct that most living beings are born with. Considering the rampant sexualization of internet, I assume that you gain more readers by leaning into this almost universal impulse of nature than not.

I never denied that Smut is popular in Scribblehub either. We're in complete agreement here. Smut IS popular. Writing Smut is definitely a very valid way of gaining popularity here in Scribblehub.

... It's just not even close to being the most popular genre. And it has heavy competition for #3 spot... As in, you don't need to write sexual content to be popular here, because plenty (as in, the majority) of popular stories here do not have sexual content in them.

I don't agree with your interpretation of Jay's points, because... Well, you're saying very different things from what Jay said. Jay seems plain uninformed on basic genre definitions.
This is the point of friction, Jay attribute the sexual nature of wishfulfillment to a broader range than just explicit smut. That's where you disagree, and you are free to do so.

Still, I support Jay's idea on this idea (Unlike you, my personality is similar to Jay's in creating broad connection). For instance, there are many aspects to love. But romantic love contains an instinctual attraction that cannot be fully separated from sexual impulse. If you agree on that, it means that any romantic tagged story taps into the sexual channel of wish fulfillment. In fact, romantic love has also a part of excitement about the unknown, meaning romantic love doesn't need to fully understand a person and love them for who they are, instead romantic love needs the minimum amount of sexual desire.

Of course, this is perfectly questionable. Such reasoning are extended to HAREM and GENDERBENDER genres. Perhaps, that's where the focus of the discussion should be pursued if you want to convince each others.

Oh, and yes, I hate people using ungrounded data. It's why I make sure to check my data carefully for those things.

People spread a lot of hearsay that isn't backed by the numbers, and I hate that. It's why I check the numbers first and make my conclusions later.
I got it lol

D

Deleted member 54065

Before this thread gets locked, let me just say that my work with 14 volumes (and counting), The Human Saint is Bored and its subsequent arcs don't have detailed sexual chapters in it. Sure, there are instances of r*pe (part of the story, used sparingly and is portrayed negatively), but generally harem with no sex.

M.G.Driver

This whole thread is like comparing two ice cream shops who sells the same flavours. What is their best selling product?

One says vanilla in the first, chocolate in the second.

The other says the cone itself for both.