Readers are degenerate, and you should be too

Kazumi

First of all, some disclaimers are needed. I'm not here to tell you how you should write or that there is only one way of writing. The title is clickbait, which is kinda on theme with what I'm going to be discussing here.

Some of you might know, most of you won't, but I posted a story yesterday that was supposed to get trending but actually didn't for some reason. OPness is great for your health. Now calm down. I know the story is trash, it is. But it's something I wrote four years ago while going through major depression and health problems, so cut me some slack on that part. Earlier this week, I was going through my old folder and found it, thought it was funny, so I decided to post it. I didn't edit it much besides some of the more obvious grammar issues.

However, even with how badly written it was, it still got 2.5k views on its first day with only 3 chapters posted. Keep in mind that the third chapter was posted only a few hours before the reset, so it probably didn't reach full effectiveness. My novel was also not shown in the novel update ads space, so there was that too. Now, you might think that 2.5 views aren't that much really, but it is, and let me show that for you.

Let's take other stories that have a cover too. Jade Veterinarian, for example, great story, solid grammar and consistently good scene composition. Eleven chapters, 1.3k views. I got double his views with four times fewer chapters. Shadow of Greed, amazing story, mad respect for the author; ten chapters, 380 views. It's not coverless stories that we're talking about here, they have their covers.

So, what's wrong here? Well, to answer that, we gotta go back to the title of this thread. Readers are degenerate. In fact, they're so degenerate that the difference between a cover with boobs and one with not reaches 20X views. Of course, I'm in by no mean delusional enough to think that this difference would stay the same as both stories mature, but still, the point remains the same. If there is anything that can double, or triple your views in a matter of weeks, it's probably a cover change (it might not be as extreme once u reach the hundreds of thousands of views, but for those in the 10ks, definitely would).

Now, I'm close to concluding this thread and you might be thinking what was the point of it all. Well, I decided to make it because I keep seeing threads asking whether a cover makes a big difference or not, or whether it's worth it or not, and thought to myself why not just bring some concrete numbers to end this discussion once and for all. Yes, a cover makes a big difference. In fact, it can reach a 20X difference, so there you go.

For OPness is great for your health, I think I'm gonna delete that story by the end of the day. The raging hormones that fueled in days of old already died down, and I can't bring myself to wake them up again. If someone thought it was funny and really wanna keep a copy of it, go for it my dude, I don't mind. With that, I conclude this thread and hope that the numbers I brought up were of any use to anyone.

PS: I have another account that had been active for much longer than this one. This one is just an alt. If you can find the main one, this Onee-san will give you a reward :s_wink:

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
First of all, some disclaimers are needed. I'm not here to tell you how you should write or that there is only one way of writing. The title is clickbait, which is kinda on theme with what I'm going to be discussing here.

Some of you might know, most of you won't, but I posted a story yesterday that was supposed to get trending but actually didn't for some reason. OPness is great for your health. Now calm down. I know the story is trash, it is. But it's something I wrote four years ago while going through major depression and health problems, so cut me some slack on that part. Earlier this week, I was going through my old folder and found it, thought it was funny, so I decided to post it. I didn't edit it much besides some of the more obvious grammar issues.

However, even with how badly written it was, it still got 2.5k views on its first day with only 3 chapters posted. Keep in mind that the third chapter was posted only a few hours before the reset, so it probably didn't reach full effectiveness. My novel was also not shown in the novel update ads space, so there was that too. Now, you might think that 2.5 views aren't that much really, but it is, and let me show that for you.

Let's take other stories that have a cover too. Jade Veterinarian, for example, great story, solid grammar and consistently good scene composition. Eleven chapters, 1.3k views. I got double his views with four times fewer chapters. Shadow of Greed, amazing story, mad respect for the author; ten chapters, 380 views. It's not coverless stories that we're talking about here, they have their covers.

So, what's wrong here? Well, to answer that, we gotta go back to the title of this thread. Readers are degenerate. In fact, they're so degenerate that the difference between a cover with boobs and one with not reaches 20X views. Of course, I'm in by no mean delusional enough to think that this difference would stay the same as both stories mature, but still, the point remains the same. If there is anything that can double, or triple your views in a matter of weeks, it's probably a cover change (it might not be as extreme once u reach the hundreds of thousands of views, but for those in the 10ks, definitely would).

Now, I'm close to concluding this thread and you might be thinking what was the point of it all. Well, I decided to make it because I keep seeing threads asking whether a cover makes a big difference or not, or whether it's worth it or not, and thought to myself why not just bring some concrete numbers to end this discussion once and for all. Yes, a cover makes a big difference. In fact, it can reach a 20X difference, so there you go.

For OPness is great for your health, I think I'm gonna delete that story by the end of the day. The raging hormones that fueled in days of old already died down, and I can't bring myself to wake them up again. If someone thought it was funny and really wanna keep a copy of it, go for it my dude, I don't mind. With that, I conclude this thread and hope that the numbers I brought up were of any use to anyone.

PS: I have another account that had been active for much longer than this one. If you can find it, this Onee-san will give you a reward :s_wink:
I mean
...like did you think it wouldn't do that well with a cover like that. Everyone like sexy covers. It's clickbait. Not wrong by any means but its not surprising at all. Hell, I WANT a good clickbait cover for one of my stories too.

I just dunno what views means here. If its just people who view the story page, yeah i totally believe people would have clicked on that and at least read the summary. But as for if they read all the chapters that went out, not sure.

There is a viewers and readers icon and I'm not sure what they signify exactly. But yes, a book with a sexy cover will undoubtedly get more people to look at the story page than those without a sexy cover. Who knows whether those however many thousand actually stayed to read it tho?

Anyway where'd you find it? :blob_aww:

Kazumi

I mean
...like did you think it wouldn't do that well with a cover like that. Everyone like sexy covers. It's clickbait. Not wrong by any means but its not surprising at all. Hell, I WANT a good clickbait cover for one of my stories too.

I just dunno what views means here. If its just people who view the story page, yeah i totally believe people would have clicked on that and at least read the summary. But as for if they read all the chapters that went out, not sure.

There is a viewers and readers icon and I'm not sure what they signify exactly. But yes, a book with a sexy cover will undoubtedly get more people to look at the story page than those without a sexy cover. Who knows whether those however many thousand actually stayed to read it tho?

googled anime oppai, found one in the first row of google image. Prolly could have just traced it and it would have had almost the same effect, but too lazy for that. For the readers, I got close to a hundred in one day, which is A LOT. As for chapter views, I got close to a thousand, which is not bad considering that all new stories have an insanely bad total views to chapter views ratio. Also, for your comment about whether I thought it would have done good or not, of course, I knew that it would have been popular, but 20X? Isn't that just too much... I was expecting 5X max, it just blew my mind when I saw the views coming in.

BOWIESENSEI

I mean

Having an ecchi cover doesn't make you a good writer.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠

PS: I have another account that had been active for much longer than this one. If you can find it, this Onee-san will give you a reward :s_wink:
Well, we really couldn't do much about the degenerate thing XD. That's the nature of scribblehub reader base. Though, I look at the two stories at the stories that you've mentioned. No offense to the authors since I salute everyone who has guts to write long paragraphs and chapters. The first thing that put me off is the cover. Changing it into something more professional could have help (How about using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Sparks - easy and learnable), promoting it in the lounge is also not a bad idea. Being active in the discord chat and asking advice from those friendly neighbors over there could help. It could help you build up a reader base.

Also I'm not defending those degenerate guys or what LOL. Looking at nice and beautiful things is something like the law of attraction, something part of being human.:blob_facepalm:

Kazumi

Indeed, it doesn't make you a good writer. However, if you already know that your writing is good and have confidence in yourself, please choose a cover that would sell well. You can hope for the one in a thousand chance to get exposure even with trash marketing, but that's just not a consistent strategy, is it? You'll do both yourself and your fans a favor if you monetize your story in such a way that you could live off it. They want you to continue writing, and you want too, but you can't if you have to pay the bills or work a part-time job to alleviate your student loans.

Kazumi

Well, we really couldn't do much about the degenerate thing XD. That's the nature of scribblehub reader base. Though, I look at the two stories at the stories that you've mentioned. No offense to the authors since I salute everyone who has guts to write long paragraphs and chapters. The first thing that put me off is the cover. Changing it into something more professional could have help (How about using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Sparks - easy and learnable), promoting it in the lounge is also not a bad idea. Being active in the discord chat and asking advice from those friendly neighbors over there could help. It could help you build up a reader base.

Also I'm not defending those degenerate guys or what LOL. Looking at nice and beautiful things is something like the law of attraction, something part of being human.:blob_facepalm:
I agree with you, the covers were pretty bad. I may make another thread giving people links to good resources to learn Adobe ps or sparks. It's just so important to have a professional-looking cover, even if you don't want to be an a-hole and steal it from somewhere.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Never said it did. Just said its good marketing. Which is an undeniable fact. There is a reason so many ads feature hot women or handsome men
That's why you'll never get anywhere.
Not sure what you mean here. But if you mean as a writer, ya done goofed m'boy cuz i even got offered a contract. So suck on them turtle eggs :P

googled anime oppai, found one in the first row of google image. Prolly could have just traced it and it would have had almost the same effect, but too lazy for that. For the readers, I got close to a hundred in one day, which is A LOT. As for chapter views, I got close to a thousand, which is not bad considering that all new stories have an insanely bad total views to chapter views ratio. Also, for your comment about whether I thought it would have done good or not, of course, I knew that it would have been popular, but 20X? Isn't that just too much... I was expecting 5X max, it just blew my mind when I saw the views coming in.
Never underestimate the powah of ero, friend. It's the only thing that unites the world regardless of age or ethnicity

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

See it negatively, people like you are what keeps webnovels from getting an established literary genre. :blob_melt:

BOWIESENSEI

Indeed, it doesn't make you a good writer. However, if you already know that your writing is good and have confidence in yourself, please choose a cover that would sell well. You can hope for the one in a thousand chance to get exposure even with trash marketing, but that's just not a consistent strategy, is it? You'll do both yourself and your fans a favor if you monetize your story in such a way that you could live off it. They want you to continue writing, and you want too, but you can't if you have to pay the bills or work a part-time job to alleviate your student loans.
I suppose it is a good strategy for exposure, but it feels like it takes away some dignity. Like whoring yourself out for views especially when the cover has no relevance to the story.

BOWIESENSEI

Never said it did. Just said its good marketing. Which is an undeniable fact. There is a reason so many ads feature hot women or handsome men

Not sure what you mean here. But if you mean as a writer, ya done goofed m'boy cuz i even got offered a contract. So suck on them turtle eggs :P

Never underestimate the powah of ero, friend. It's the only thing that unites the world regardless of age or ethnicity
That's awesome cupcake johnny sins, I hope it works out for you!

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
"Never underestimate the powah of ero, friend. It's the only thing that unites the world regardless of age or ethnicity " - Cupcakeninja

Oopps. Cupcakeninja really knows his stuff:blob_ninja::blob_ninja:.

Kazumi

I suppose it is a good strategy for exposure, but it feels like it takes away some dignity. Like whoring yourself out for views especially when the cover has no relevance to the story.
It does take away from your dignity, and it sucks, but that's just how the entertainment business work. Do you think musicians like doing meet and greets with sweaty dudes whose smell creates a nuclear cloud? Or that streamers enjoy having every part of their life under scrutiny? They don't, they really do not like that. But they just have to suck it up until they build enough of a fanbase and stack up enough money to not care anymore.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.

I mean it makes sense. Like, on one hand you have a weird but plain cover that at most just sets the mood for the story. Nothing too eye-catchy. On the other, you have a cover that will totally attract attention, in the booby case, of those who seek those kinds of things.