Readers who declare that they're dropping the series they're reading

Mynamejeff

A story starring Stewie Griffin?

What I said was support towards your point. I can't fully agree, but I can point out the good those authors would get out of it. An opinion on what that Reader considered "wrong" (for them) might not be a problem for other Readers. But if it is announced for everybody to see, that in itself becomes an issue. It can distract and pull someone out of the world that that author created. Why? Because now they are too busy searching for this "problem".
Ah ok, honestly I mostly do it to avoid trolls in public comments and it feels more personal (to me at least) for both the reader and author to have a private conservation.

Reactions: CL

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
An author here. Dear readers, if you want to drop our series, please do so quietly and don't drop a comment just to tell the whole world that you're doing it. I've got used to it at some point but you might crush the spirit of some newbies. Please and thank you
If there is a legitimate reason that I feel I need to drop a series, it goes in a review.
On the other hand, if I drop the series simply because I feel it is dragging, I don't bother to mention it.

Michuyu

If its not constructive criticism, just remember that its just one person whining and that there are so many more people that like your work and want to see more of it.
Thank you!! I'll keep that in mind ^o^

D

Deleted member 29316

I kind of doubt it xD but if it does, how do you suggest I prepare myself? T^T
Well as to my experience, you must have goals for your story, like, how would you want your MC to grow? Or what do you want to show to your readers?

If you know the answers to these questions, then you can always disregard the drops, or the 'preachy' readers. Another benefit is that, when you know the goal or the direction of your story, there is the less chance of your work going out of focus.

Another suggestion I could give you is to get a 'writing buddy' for an honest, first draft comment on your work. As for me, I got my brother @Chisystiks do that for me. But this is just an option.

Take note, the emotional effect of seeing others drop your work is still there, but at least, the pain is minimized.

Oh yeah, and remember, when you feel like quitting, the more you should stick to your work.

Edit: I also want to add that, not all readers would like your work. Things like demographics and cultural values also come into play when it comes to preferences. I know it's basic author knowledge, but see, when you think about it the moment you see someone drop your work, the effect is lessened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daitengu

I think it is deserved in some cases.

Out of the MANY stories I've read, I written a "dropping this because X" post about 3 times.

One was because the author made the MC do the exact opposite of what he said he'd do a couple chapters before, ans the reason for it was avoidable as the MC knew what was coming.

The second has the MC wanting to be free of slavery, and got a big F in the form of a goddess throwing an eternal slave title on her. As well as the author going so far down the depraved rabbit hole that the sex acts inflicted on the MC would kill people, but she just stays in an orgasmic haze. Author got so far away from the original premise that it changed from a isekai girl wanting freedom to a HARD M eternal slave.

Michuyu

Well as to my experience, you must have goals for your story, like, how would you want your MC to grow? Or what do you want to show to your readers?

If you know the answers to these questions, then you can always disregard the drops, or the 'preachy' readers. Another benefit is that, when you know the goal or the direction of your story, there is the less chance of your work going out of focus.

Another suggestion I could give you is to get a 'writing buddy' for an honest, first draft comment on your work. As for me, I got my brother @Chisystiks do that for me. But this is just an option.

Take note, the emotional effect of seeing others drop your work is still there, but at least, the pain is minimized.

Oh yeah, and remember, when you feel like quitting, the more you should stick to your work.

Edit: I also want to add that, not all readers would like your work. Things like demographics and cultural values also come into play when it comes to preferences. I know it's basic author knowledge, but see, when you think about it the moment you see someone drop your work, the effect is lessened.
You make some good points *-* Thank you so much!

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
That too.

Also, in connection to this, have you guys ever experienced readers who thinks they know better than you? Like they would teach you what they think should happen in YOUR story? And drop it if it doesn't go their way?

Pretty amusing as well as annoying. :blobrofl:
Bloody scrubs.

If you are leaving the place, be it your work or school, you don't leave with the door slammed on your way out.

ForestDweller

It's really sad, I just got 1star rate on my novel, I mean I get it if you really hate it but the timing!!! just right when I was going to write a new chapter I saw a 1star rate Now I don't want to continue anymore

I understand that feeling. Whenever I got a negative response, I tend to lose my urge to write.

ForestDweller

Eh, forcing yourself to write would only lead to subpar work.

I think it is deserved in some cases.

Out of the MANY stories I've read, I written a "dropping this because X" post about 3 times.

One was because the author made the MC do the exact opposite of what he said he'd do a couple chapters before, ans the reason for it was avoidable as the MC knew what was coming.

The second has the MC wanting to be free of slavery, and got a big F in the form of a goddess throwing an eternal slave title on her. As well as the author going so far down the depraved rabbit hole that the sex acts inflicted on the MC would kill people, but she just stays in an orgasmic haze. Author got so far away from the original premise that it changed from a isekai girl wanting freedom to a HARD M eternal slave.

Sounds like you just don't like the direction the author is taking with the story.

Valmond

Probably only happened once. Indirectly spoken. When someone just said, it was not their cup of tea. I just thanked them for their time, and moved on.

It does not bug me in the least. People do what they wanna do. If they want to be vocal about it, then so be it.

D

Deleted member 29316

Eh, forcing yourself to write and forcing yourself to persevere are related but two different things. I'm talking about persevering here.

Plus, here's what persevering about writing entails: you don't force yourself to write when you don't feel like it; you just take it easy and write when you have the idea, disregarding what the others are telling you. Heck, it's YOUR story, and YOUR characters, so you get to decide their direction and growth. Unless those naysayers are paying you, why should you listen to them? You do what you want to do. You may listen to their criticisms if you find it justified, but definitely, the decision to write would be left to you.

And if you fail as a writer, then you have no one else to blame but yourself.

Valmond

Sounds like you just don't like the direction the author is taking with the story.
Not true, I have had to work through quite a bit of negativity. The point is to be consistent, and push those thoughts out of mind. I have reconstructed my series line by line, reviewed it line by line, edited it line by line, with an audio reader for confirmation. This has been done about four or five times.

So long as one has a plan, and sticks to that plan. Then it should turn out fine. The point is to improve as much as one can do so. As a result, because I kept consistent, and took the time to polish it. That series turned out to be my best work. Honestly right now, I am not even sure how I can surpass this.

Hell, as it is standing now. Readers are appreciating it a lot more than back then. None of it would have been possible, if I did not force myself to keep writing.

D

Deleted member 29316

@HansTrondheim after a couple of minutes, I still do not understand your sad emoji for.
I just remembered some sad memories about some parents of my students throwing tantrums when we don't follow what they want, based on your example. They stomp their feet and slam the door after us, then leave disappointed.

D

Deleted member 29316

Not true, I have had to work through quite a bit of negativity. The point is to be consistent, and push those thoughts out of mind. I have reconstructed my series line by line, reviewed it line by line, edited it line by line, with an audio reader for confirmation. This has been done about four or five times.

So long as one has a plan, and sticks to that plan. Then it should turn out fine. The point is to improve as much as one can do so. As a result, because I kept consistent, and took the time to polish it. That series turned out to be my best work. Honestly right now, I am not even sure how I can surpass this.

Hell, as it is standing now. Readers are appreciating it a lot more than back then. None of it would have been possible, if I did not force myself to keep writing.
@ForestDweller here's what I'm talking about.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Bloody scrubs.

If you are leaving the place, be it your work or school, you don't leave with the door slammed on your way out.ctually.

Depends actually.

But at any rate, I've left comments saying why I've dropped something numerous times, but then I always included the reason why. Then I left tidbits on whether I liked it initially, or not, as well as whatever else was relevant. I've basically written frigging reviews in a comment section. I've done it often enough that I've actually forgotten to leave an actual review. Yeah terrible I know.

ForestDweller

@ForestDweller here's what I'm talking about.

Heh, I don't think I'll ever be able to put that much effort into writing. I just write and publish, with no further editing.

I don't think it's worth it unless you're writing for an actual book you're going to put up on Amazon.

D

Deleted member 29316

Heh, I don't think I'll ever be able to put that much effort into writing. I just write and publish, with no further editing.

I don't think it's worth it unless you're writing for an actual book you're going to put up on Amazon.
Well, it's up to you. We all have different goals in writing, so just do what you want. :blob_okay: