Reading History

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Reading History. Could there be a thing like that added in Scribble Hub? It would help you remember something that you've already read, but might have forgotten. With "reading history" it would benefit both readers and authors.

Let's say, for example, that I went and started reading a really interesting story. After that, I had to stop at around chapter 5, because of something happening IRL. I accidentally log out of SH and forget to save the story to my reading list. I forget all about it for a time, but then suddenly remember! After remembering, I feel very sad, because the interesting story I read may never be found again in this colossal site which hosts thousands of "original" stories that may contain the same plot, have the same type of atmosphere, or names as other stories, because of the trend that goes around. It would be a pain to go through my Google Search history(or any searching app's history, for that matter) to just look for one story. If there was a reading history, there would be no more pain! I will go into more details about the way the history could be organized later.

The example above shows how "reading history" could be beneficial for readers. Let's get into how it would be beneficial for authors.

If you finish reading something, and just want to take a break from searching through a lot of different things to find a novel good for you, but you still wanna read something, you may go into your reading list. After that, you may choose a story to continue reading from there, because if you don't, you'll have to go through all these different genres and tags to find another story to read. After reading, you may decide to comment on the story, give the writer tips, and etc.. That would help the writers of the books in your reading list, right? But that's the problem. If you ever try to go read something from your reading list, the stories will be limited. You may have cleared out the list so as to have it be more tidy. You will only be able to read what's in the list and not was in the list.

If there was a reading history, then readers could look through what they have read, the ratings they gave the stories, and the newer readers, etc.. This would give chances for already completed stories to be revived once more. The authors may get new comments because the rereading reader may have started posting comments, once again or finally.

This would help completed stories gain traction, again. It would make the novels all have an equal chance of being read, whether old or new. The authors would benefit from this in the forms of comments/tips, more people supporting their work, allowing authorself to see the good things in writing... the list goes on and on.

Now, I've told you the reasons, but not the way it may be implemented.

Some may say,"But if everything that I read was automatically saved into the history, wouldn't it become too large after an amount of time?!"

I can perfectly understand that, so I would suggest that there be a cleanse of any novel that hasn't been read in months... maybe 6 months? Or there could be a "select stories to take out of history" button and you could manually erase stories that you are completely uninterested in. You may have read a chap and been like,"Meh. Whatever...".

"What if we don't want it?" Could also be a question you may have. I think that the option for saving the history of stories you read should be able to be turned on and off in your account settings, much like how you can filter what notifications to get. If this happens, many users may not want it, while many would want it. So, instead of having too much information in the servers, it would be less than if having the history option be mandatory.

I know that there may be flaws in this, but I can fix them if you point them out. I am just hoping to give readers and authors a better experience on the site.

May you have a nice day. :)

CadmarLegend

Reading History. Could there be a thing like that added in Scribble Hub? It would help you remember something that you've already read, but might have forgotten. With "reading history" it would benefit both readers and authors.

Let's say, for example, that I went and started reading a really interesting story. After that, I had to stop at around chapter 5, because of something happening IRL. I accidentally log out of SH and forget to save the story to my reading list. I forget all about it for a time, but then suddenly remember! After remembering, I feel very sad, because the interesting story I read may never be found again in this colossal site which hosts thousands of "original" stories that may contain the same plot, have the same type of atmosphere, or names as other stories, because of the trend that goes around. It would be a pain to go through my Google Search history(or any searching app's history, for that matter) to just look for one story. If there was a reading history, there would be no more pain! I will go into more details about the way the history could be organized later.

The example above shows how "reading history" could be beneficial for readers. Let's get into how it would be beneficial for authors.

If you finish reading something, and just want to take a break from searching through a lot of different things to find a novel good for you, but you still wanna read something, you may go into your reading list. After that, you may choose a story to continue reading from there, because if you don't, you'll have to go through all these different genres and tags to find another story to read. After reading, you may decide to comment on the story, give the writer tips, and etc.. That would help the writers of the books in your reading list, right? But that's the problem. If you ever try to go read something from your reading list, the stories will be limited. You may have cleared out the list so as to have it be more tidy. You will only be able to read what's in the list and not was in the list.

If there was a reading history, then readers could look through what they have read, the ratings they gave the stories, and the newer readers, etc.. This would give chances for already completed stories to be revived once more. The authors may get new comments because the rereading reader may have started posting comments, once again or finally.

This would help completed stories gain traction, again. It would make the novels all have an equal chance of being read, whether old or new. The authors would benefit from this in the forms of comments/tips, more people supporting their work, allowing authorself to see the good things in writing... the list goes on and on.

Now, I've told you the reasons, but not the way it may be implemented.

Some may say,"But if everything that I read was automatically saved into the history, wouldn't it become too large after an amount of time?!"

I can perfectly understand that, so I would suggest that there be a cleanse of any novel that hasn't been read in months... maybe 6 months? Or there could be a "select stories to take out of history" button and you could manually erase stories that you are completely uninterested in. You may have read a chap and been like,"Meh. Whatever...".

"What if we don't want it?" Could also be a question you may have. I think that the option for saving the history of stories you read should be able to be turned on and off in your account settings, much like how you can filter what notifications to get. If this happens, many users may not want it, while many would want it. So, instead of having too much information in the servers, it would be less than if having the history option be mandatory.

I know that there may be flaws in this, but I can fix them if you point them out. I am just hoping to give readers and authors a better experience on the site.

May you have a nice day. :)
Also, you would have to read the story for at least 5 minutes to be saved in your history. This would save us the trouble of having novels that we just browsed through being included.

D

Deleted member 45782

Use the bookmark function. You can bookmark a page, add to reading to list, etc.

Reading history is reading history. If you're going to include going over the ratings and comments you've done, that sounds something like what you would see in your Activity section.

Personally I don't like reading history implemented. Don't want be reminded what I read in past all the time lol. I don't like saving cache.

Also, sir, the things you mentioned? They're already on the site:
Bookmark if you want to save for further reading.
User Profile > Activity Page - you can see your comments here.
User Profile > Reviews - you see your reviews here.

CadmarLegend

Use the bookmark function. You can bookmark a page, add to reading to list, etc.

Reading history is reading history. If you're going to include going over the ratings and comments you've done, that sounds something like what you would see in your Activity section.

Personally I don't like reading history implemented. Don't want be reminded what I read in past all the time lol. I don't like saving cache.

Also, sir, the things you mentioned? They're already on the site:
Bookmark if you want to save for further reading.
User Profile > Activity Page - you can see your comments here.
User Profile > Reviews - you see your reviews here.
No, my entire first point was that if you forgot to bookmark, because of something.... and only remember it very later....

D

Deleted member 45782

Have you also seen the Auto-Bookmark feature? I would check it out that is probably what you're asking for.

D

Deleted member 45782

No, my entire first point was that if you forgot to bookmark, because of something.... and only remember it very later....
Yes, but your following arguments kinda seem flawed.

The way you explained sound like you want to implement some features already there.
Unless I'm wrong. There is a Reviews page already. I haven't given out any reviews or ratings yet, so correct me if I'm wrong, does it not show what you rated as well?

D

Deleted member 20302

Yes, but your following arguments kinda seem flawed.

The way you explained sound like you want to implement some features already there.
Unless I'm wrong. There is a Reviews page already. I haven't given out any reviews or ratings yet, so correct me if I'm wrong, does it not show what you rated as well?
Yes, they show the ratings along with reviews. I have one.

D

Deleted member 45782

Now the thing is Auto-Bookmark feature is on Reading List feature only from what I seen. I could be wrong. I don't really read on SH.
Reading stories not on Reading List - i see the bookmark option to save it to Reading List. Is this what you mean? So you can go back to read it later?