Reading webnovels cause serious allergies, especially Chinese novels

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
The only Chinese novels that I found don't do the things mentioned above and has a cast of memorable characters has been ISSTH(I Shall Seal The Heavens) and RI(Reverend Insanity). RI is by far the best cultivation novel I've read thus far.
And the whole soul land series

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
So tl;dr is:

Chinese are pretentious pricks with pointless prose

Koreans are apathetic assholes that only grind

Japanese are delusional horndogs and simp(leton)s

So the bottom line is we all have covid since our lack of taste is a symptom

BVarnell89

It's definitely rough sometimes... and yet the vast majority of what I read are either Japanese light novels or Chinese cultivation novels. I usually stick with stories that are more memorable and drop the ones that are too info-dumpy and have cardboard cutout characters. TBH, I usually read cultivation novels for the power fantasy aspect and JP novels for the harem. I also read some Korean novels like Solo Leveling. Not sure if The Beginning After the End is Korean, Japanese, or what have you, but that was okay for a while too.

Okay

The Bored but Lazy
I will be honest. I won't be able to name good(non-trash) Japanese MCs from novels. I haven't read as many novels. However, I can easily name more than five from the manga.
So what if I'm a spider/I'm a spider so what

It's alright, but it's still incredibly lighthearted somehow.

I watched too much Japanese harem anime and poisoned myself with a special hatred of harems and animes with a male lead. Like, heck, Rise of the Shield Hero has two big boobed girls following him around, and many other protagonists have giant boobed girls hanging around them and blushing. And screaming 'kyaaaaa!'

And for names, I have trouble remembering them, whether they be chinese, english, japanese, or korean. At least until I read enough chapters and start changing their names into nicknames in my head.

And during covid I read so many cultivation novels (especially those with a fl). I managed to poison myself with those also.

But with the poisoning comes the ability to tell at a glance from the title and cover whether the manga/manhwa/manhua or novel is going to be something I've already poisoned myself with or not.

SailusGebel

So what if I'm a spider/I'm a spider so what

It's alright, but it's still incredibly lighthearted somehow.

I watched too much Japanese harem anime and poisoned myself with a special hatred of harems and animes with a male lead. Like, heck, Rise of the Shield Hero has two big boobed girls following him around, and many other protagonists have giant boobed girls hanging around them and blushing. And screaming 'kyaaaaa!'

And for names, I have trouble remembering them, whether they be chinese, english, japanese, or korean. At least until I read enough chapters and start changing their names into nicknames in my head.

And during covid I read so many cultivation novels (especially those with a fl). I managed to poison myself with those also.

But with the poisoning comes the ability to tell at a glance from the title and cover whether the manga/manhwa/manhua or novel is going to be something I've already poisoned myself with or not.
What?

Simo

A lazy sloth
I lived in China for about 4 close to 5 years and I still can’t remember a single full of name of any of my classmates. I usually just called them ‘brother’ or ‘sister’ 🙃 the one teacher I remember the name of was called Wang, so it was a bit easy. So yeah, I don’t blame you for not remembering the shitload of names in CN novels

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
After years of reading webnovels, I'm now definitely allergic to Japanese MCs and Chinese names in cultivation novels.

I suffer from severe amnesia whenever I attempt to recollect which character in which stage of cultivation has used which technique.

Core Disciple Zhong Dong from the Zhongchengpai Immortal Sect has just breakthrough the fifth stage of the Body Refining Core Formation thanks to mastering his Heaven Defying Six Meridian Dragon Subduing Palms after consuming a Blooming Ying-Yang Water Moon Flower. (I just made it up myself, but you have to admit that it's quite close to what we see in cultivation novels)

Like, seriously, am I the only one who has difficulty recalling details from Chinese novels?

As for the Japanese MCs, I'm just tired of 90% of them being either mega simp or dumb as fk.
A bit of topic… Chinese novels can be good , think LotM, My Iyashikei Game, Release that Witch, etc. It is just that you find clones of the good ones everywhere, it is so bad that I can’t really read cultivation stuff anymore. The stories tend to be extremely similar to eachother; sometimes you get a very good first 1-200 chapters before the story falls of the cliff.

Most Japanese ones feel like they are missing like half of their chapter, as well as the whole every character being a stereotype thing.

Last edited:

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I liked mo dao zushi, but even that was like 5/10 bumped to 8/10 in live action and animated adaptations

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Are you allergic to communism and bigots exploiting the people?

UnknownSaint171

You gotta read more, there are some good gems out there.
I'm not sure how many read MTL either.