Real names.

SailusGebel

the way i name my characters is by strapping a voice recorder to my mouth, after that, i slammed my toe on the edge of my table and whatever sounds the recorder picks up will be the name I'm using.
Cool, but even the title said real names. Well, whatever, I didn't expect a normal answer from you anyway.

HokuouTenrou

Slightly dislike my real name. Not because it's embarrassing or anything, but because it's typical of a certain ethnicity which I don't care about, at best (I can't even read/speak the language).
Obviously my parents named me; they basically took parts of their own names then combined it (same case with my siblings).

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
So, there were a few threads with discussions; how to come up with a name for a character? But I had this sudden thought, what about real names? I made this thread to ask you two questions. First one, what do you think of your own name? There is no need to write your real name. I ask you to state only your feelings about it. Do you like it, or do you dislike it? Perhaps you find your name boring, or maybe you think it's an embarrassing name? Something like this. The second question is, who and why gave this name to you? Your parents, grandparents, maybe sister or brother, aunt, uncle? Did they, or he or she name you after a relative? Or maybe, they simply thought the name sounded well?

I would talk about my name as an example. My father insisted on naming me after a character from a movie. I do think this name fits me, but at the same time, it's weird.
Nothing wrong with giving my name here, but I'll only give my first one. It's Dwayne Kenneth for me. My Father probably named Dwayne after The Rock or that basketball player, which is odd since I don't like either that much. The Kenneth was from my Mom's, but just added something different. I don't particularly like it, nor hate it. I live in the Philippines, so my name is long as fucccccccc

Funny enough my English teacher asked us about where our names came from yesterday. A weird coincidence.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I have two middle names and of course all of my names First, Middle, Middle, and Last sound like they could all be first names.

My first name comes from a man that once ruled the world or a popular DC Villain, depending if you ask my mother or my father. My and my middle names come from both sides Great-Grand fathers first names.

Nane

Doesn't go well in a milkshake
So, there were a few threads with discussions; how to come up with a name for a character? But I had this sudden thought, what about real names? I made this thread to ask you two questions. First one, what do you think of your own name? There is no need to write your real name. I ask you to state only your feelings about it. Do you like it, or do you dislike it? Perhaps you find your name boring, or maybe you think it's an embarrassing name? Something like this. The second question is, who and why gave this name to you? Your parents, grandparents, maybe sister or brother, aunt, uncle? Did they, or he or she name you after a relative? Or maybe, they simply thought the name sounded well?

I would talk about my name as an example. My father insisted on naming me after a character from a movie. I do think this name fits me, but at the same time, it's weird.
So the thing in my culture is, if your grandparents want to name your child , you can't really say no. Especially if it's the father's side. As you can guess, this leads to people having multiple names to make the both sides happy. If the parents want another name as well... Oh boy.

As for me--> First name+Second name+Surname= a pretty long ass name to write on every single assignment the school gave you as a kid

Sometimes it's bothersome, but I actually like having a second name. It's like a spare one you can use if you feel like it.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Names are fun. Being trans and [REDACTED] means I get to choose my name, and no one, not even my host, gets to complain or bitch about it.

Usually when I make characters, I like to make their names symbolic by browsing sites like 20000-names and behindthename to pick out meanings that resonate with my idea of the character. It's a trick I stole from my host who does TTRPGs and shit.

For something as daunting as NaNoWriMo, where I need to write 50k words in a month, just outright? I'll more likely than not pull from memory, and if the name is famous or someone I know, pull another name and splice 'em.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I wasn't all that fond of my name to begin with. I originally thought it was because the full thing only comes out when I was in trouble, lol. At some point in elementary school I had a class with three other kids who had similar names, and I ended up answering to one of them instead of mine, lol. They had a name I wanted more than the one I started with. Fortunately, they both shorten to the same thing, so I kinda just stole that person's name without telling anyone. My full name comes out so rarely that it doesn't make a difference.

On the other hand, I spend so much time online that I never use my name anyways. Even online, I rarely use the same username across different games or sites, just the numbers at the end. I don't really think of 396 as a name, more a signature... So in reality, I kinda don't have a name? And I don't feel bad about that at all. 🙉

To the second question, I was originally named after one of my parent's siblings, but I never met them or heard any stories about them other than 'Oh, that's who you were named after.' Kinda boring, huh?

[I pick character names by googling meaningful names that seem to relate to the character. At least, when I want real world names. I've always been fond of word salad type names I made up based on LotR or DnD. Shynwaelin is a standout example.]

Cauldrons

My name is a mixture of being common and having significant value. I was named by my great-grandmother after her last name. I have a one-letter deviation to it but my first name is ironically common despite where it comes from.

Yi_San

My name is of Arabic origin. My first name is very common. But my last name is unheard of(at least here) .I once had a unique first name too. But my mother didn't like it cause my previous name had 'killed/dead' meaning in some language. So she insisted on changing it and instead of a beautiful unique name ,I got a very common name as my FN. my brother and I have same last name (only us). People always asks us if your whole family has that name. when we says no they will always wonder. It makes us special. They call us 'last name - siblings' together in general.
It's always good to hear that.😁😀😀
But this common name has a good meaning. It means 'pearl'.

I am not a fan of my real name, but I love my pen name.

Everyone in Australia gets 'nickname-ified'. Jason becomes Jace. David becomes Dave-o. Philip Jackson becomes PJ. But my first and last name don't work in that context, so I never had a proper nickname. There are few things sadder than being in a group of friends called Steve-o, Benj, Robbie and [real name]. :ROFLMAO:

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
My name is quite unique going from hebrew origin which means god's joy though I suppose I unintentionally have this due to my mother and father name interconnected by them resulting to me having that name here in PH.

I prefer to be called by my first name. Nickname of mine uses by my parents and classmate is quite awkward to use though.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
My name is unique, no one has it, absolutely no one does, If I tell then someone might take my title away.