Real names.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
My name has a pretty close connection to a certain war god (and a chocolate bar) which is pretty epic but does totally not fit (ok, the chocolate bar does, tho)

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Cool story, but how should I say this? :blob_hmm: I didn't ask about this, and I don't care about this. What I do care about is answers to my questions. What do you think of your own name? Who and why named you like that? If you don't want to answer, ignore me.
I was named by my parents after my great grandfather because he died a week before I was born. That's how I got my first name at least. My middle name is Joseph which was given to me because it was the first name in the Bible that my parents thought had a special meaning to them. Mainly because I was an accidental bastard child and my father never expected me. He claims he related to Joseph in that regard so the name stuck.

FearlessCloud01

I didn't really pay much attention to mine until I started learning Japanese along with a few other things. My name has a few meanings in my country's language. But as I found, it is also a Welsh name with a different meaning/origin. So, I mostly like to think of my name in the Welsh sense since it sounds more fun. Otherwise, I translated my name into Japanese (just took the Katakana picked fun-sounding Kanji with the same pronunciation) and use the Japanese variants in most other cases. I've got like two versions of my name in Japanese. One I like to think of as more of a formal/public sort of name while the other is more of a private/casual/online-life sort of name.
As for the origin, my father chose it based on one pretty famous film critic in my country. The name I was given earlier/initially was instead turned into more of a nickname, and thank goodness it did. Because that name was nothing short of nickname-quality!
My name is fully based on that person's name with the only slight difference being that my last name has 2 "A"s instead of 1. Also, since it's somewhat uncommon, most people I meet tend to mispronounce it very slightly since a slight variant of my name (just one letter changed) is very common. So, I normally get called by the other name by people who hear my name for the first time or aren't too interested in knowing my name. But I've had one case where this one person called me using a name that had like 4 letters in common with my real name. (There were no other similarities and the alternate name used was basically completely different...)
My reaction literally was like "WOW!! That's a first!". I was told that my normal 5-letter, 2-syllable name or its common variants were too difficult to remember apparently... I did have quite a laugh though...

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
So, there were a few threads with discussions; how to come up with a name for a character? But I had this sudden thought, what about real names? I made this thread to ask you two questions. First one, what do you think of your own name? There is no need to write your real name. I ask you to state only your feelings about it. Do you like it, or do you dislike it? Perhaps you find your name boring, or maybe you think it's an embarrassing name? Something like this. The second question is, who and why gave this name to you? Your parents, grandparents, maybe sister or brother, aunt, uncle? Did they, or he or she name you after a relative? Or maybe, they simply thought the name sounded well?

I would talk about my name as an example. My father insisted on naming me after a character from a movie. I do think this name fits me, but at the same time, it's weird.
1. It’s not cool enough. 2. After a relative

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
My name literally translates to "plate" according to my parents.
Now that I am thinking about it, I could probably write an isekai story about my journey being reincarnated as a plate. 🤣

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So, there were a few threads with discussions; how to come up with a name for a character? But I had this sudden thought, what about real names? I made this thread to ask you two questions. First one, what do you think of your own name? There is no need to write your real name. I ask you to state only your feelings about it. Do you like it, or do you dislike it? Perhaps you find your name boring, or maybe you think it's an embarrassing name? Something like this. The second question is, who and why gave this name to you? Your parents, grandparents, maybe sister or brother, aunt, uncle? Did they, or he or she name you after a relative? Or maybe, they simply thought the name sounded well?

I would talk about my name as an example. My father insisted on naming me after a character from a movie. I do think this name fits me, but at the same time, it's weird.
It's my name. I have no special attachment to it

Leyligne

Ugh. I was named after someone unrelated to my family because, well, too many brothers and sisters. Mom was out of ideas.
So yeah, I loathe my name.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I don't like my real name, but then I don't like my sex either, so there's that.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
Honestly my name is very common. Which is nice in certain circumstances. What I don't like about my name is that it is a 'comic relief' name. Meaning in a lot of media, a guy with this name is often looked down on or made fun of. The only time it's respected in media is when it's paired with a respected carrier choice like Dr. Even then it's not a guarantee.

I often feel that because of this, it has been more easy to be the fall guy that's made fun of (either in a friendly or non friendly way) or dismissed than to be respected, or revered. Although people not taking me seriously also has its perks. Being underestimated isn't too bad. Overall I feel my name brings me small tragedy, but keeps me slightly inconspicuous. So not bad.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My legal name is not my real name. I simply felt that it didn't fit me. Perhaps it's because I have a drop of Cherokee blood in me, and Native Americans give a "milk name" to children that they eventually outgrow when they come of age and find their real names.

I found my first real name in 7th grade. After that, I kept adding more real names. My pen name, Kari Rakitan, is as real to me as my other names. My confirmation name is Joan of Arc, and that's why I use Joan for my protagonist.

YueLqn

My name was given to me by my mother, she looked through the dictionary for it. I don't really want to sound ungrateful but I guess I'm not the largest fan of the meaning? Other people say its a pretty name but idk, doesn't really suit me haha
I have like.. two names, an English name and a Chinese name and tbh I think my Chinese(given to me by my grandmother) name sounds cooler, it means 'spirit' and 'phoenix' and i like it hehe

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
A fortune teller named me though. Basically it was chosen by my parents who flipped through his book of names and the name has the meaning of being a winner/ champion and rich (as in money).

Guess what I am not? Fun fact, dead last for my entire life.

Seeing as how my real name is common AF(at least where I'm from), Think something like Matthew or John, idk. I'm used to seeing it all the time, my father wanted me to have some long ass cool name but my mother was like "nah, let's just name him something generic. I know that it actually has a meaning behind it but it doesn't change the fact that I was called my last name for the entirety of highschool because my name was common and all the variations of nicknames were already taken.

TL;DR: I don't care, but I would personally avoid it in my stories for said character to not look like an SI.
I feel you brother. The only people who call me by my first name are family members.
My name was chosen, quite literally, by chance. My parents chose the 3 most generic names possible, wrote each one on a balloon, and waited a day to see which would remain the largest. The 2nd most generic name won.

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
My real name is long af and I’m 100% sure that it’s unique and nobody has it besides me.

EternalSunset0

My English name is nothing special. Pretty common, actually. Part of it was inherited from my father. I don't have any strong feelings about it.

My Chinese name I like. I like the meaning of the characters put together, but I'm not quite sure who thought of that.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
My original was going to be dragon, but was down graded to something less cool. And that less cool name is after a Viking. Also it’s unique one of a kind because how it’s spelt and it meaning

dvelasquez

Dunno, I hate my name. But not so much my name, but the fact that it's me. I actually have two names. My first name was decided after a bet between both my mother and biological sperm donor. The biological sperm donor won the bet, though not like the name my mother chose was going to be any better. The second one is more tolerable, but I still hate myself, so it doesn't help that much, I do prefer to use it more than my first one.

Derin_Edala

My name is one of the most generic names in my culture, it's like calling somebody "Bob". I don't have strong feelings about it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
the way i name my characters is by strapping a voice recorder to my mouth, after that, i slammed my toe on the edge of my table and whatever sounds the recorder picks up will be the name I'm using.