real world rituals

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
People used to conduct rituals all the time back in the day. May I ask where is the best place to find such things? And which culture had the most sinister and evil rituals in history? Need it for my novel research, I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me, Thanks!

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
People used to conduct rituals all the time back in the day. May I ask where is the best place to find such things? And which culture had the most sinister and evil rituals in history? Need it for my novel research, I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me, Thanks!
We have that right now. It's called abprtion some 50 million deaths happened in America. abortion is the worst ritual, unquestioned. It's quite literally celebrating only for it's freeing from responsibility and the true dignities of life

Last edited:

strayCat0

Other
Look for culture/religion where it demands you to normalize death and pain or at least, desensitize them. The most famous example would be human sacrificies, suicide, etc in Maya people. There's also baby killing by that abrahamic religion, or is it its enemy? My memory is failing me, honestly. While it sounds tamer than other, there's also strange culture in Toraja Tribe where you never bury the deads, and make parades by showing your ancestors dead bodies to outside and do make up on them, or doll them up, i forgot the word.

You can also search for any religions where they demonize any kind of witches, and as such. True or not, these religions seem to 'know' many fucked up things being done by these witches or evil being worshippers, along with their demonic rituals.

Self-harming rituals are still a popular thing even until now. Dani Tribe and some Yakuza organizations with their fingers-mutilation--one is to mourn the dead, while other is to repent. India is famous for this along with their religions, which mean it reaches Indochina and Sinic people. Such as self-burning to send messages, fire walking, suicide to follow dead partner, etc.

I also think a religion where its institution actively repress its believers emotionally is as bad as more apparent evil rituals. This would be like demanding so many inconsequental deeds (not for them), and if they don't do that, some fuck up shit would happen to them either by done by their gods or even by its institution directly. And whatever consequences are still not important. These demanded deeds make you feel like shit, you can't sleep peacefully unless you think of any probable wrong doings you made since morning. At the end of it, no dead body or physical pain you get, yet these people in this society become deranged in their own things.

Last edited:

Jemini

@strayCat0 has a good straight answer to this question and takes just about all of the sources I'm aware of. So, instead, I'll just do my usual thing and nit-pick on definitions here a little bit. In this case, the definition of the word "ritual."

A ritual actually refers to any form of repeated regular action in association with something. For instance, changing your clothing before going to bed (into pajamas, your underwear, or nude, whatever your preference) instead of just sleeping in whatever you wore throughout the day could be considered a "ritual." So, the definition is actually rather wide in scope.

In a more proper sense, any and all forms of religious services count as a ritual.

Therefore, the "sinister" rituals that you are asking for would be absolutely anything that involves a very bad outcome that was carried out in a ritualistic manner. I would say the the "People's Temple Movement" drinking poisoned kool-aid back in 1978 certainly counts. But, we might be looking into something more repeated and regular than that if you're looking research for your writing. In this case, as strayCat0 said before, the Mayans are definitely going to be your best bet for the human sacrifice type department.

PeacefulMyst

In your heart~
We have that right now. It's called fetus sacrifice some 50 million deaths happened in America. Baby sacrifice is the worst ritual, unquestioned. It's quite literally celebrating only for it's freeing from responsibility and the true dignities of life
Look for culture/religion where it demands you to normalize death and pain or at least, desensitize them. The most famous example would be human sacrificies, suicide, etc in Maya people. There's also baby killing by that abrahamic religion, or is it its enemy? My memory is failing me, honestly. While it sounds tamer than other, there's also strange culture in Toraja Tribe where you never bury the deads, and make parades by showing your ancestors dead bodies to outside and do make up on them, or doll them up, i forgot the word.

You can also search for any religions where they demonize any kind of witches, and as such. True or not, these religions seem to 'know' many fucked up things being done by these witches or evil being worshippers, along with their demonic rituals.

Self-harming rituals are still a popular thing even until now. Dani Tribe and some Yakuza organizations with their fingers-mutilation--one is to mourn the dead, while other is to repent. India is famous for this along with their religions, which mean it reaches Indochina and Sinic people. Such as self-burning to send messages, fire walking, suicide to follow dead partner, etc.

I also think a religion where its institution actively repress its believers emotionally is as bad as more apparent evil rituals. This would be like demanding so many inconsequental deeds (not for them), and if they don't do that, some fuck up shit would happen to them either by done by their gods or even by its institution directly. And whatever consequences are still not important. These demanded deeds make you feel like shit, you can't sleep peacefully unless you think of any probable wrong doings you made since morning. At the end of it, no dead body or physical pain you get, yet these people in this society become deranged in their own things.
@strayCat0 has a good straight answer to this question and takes just about all of the sources I'm aware of. So, instead, I'll just do my usual thing and nit-pick on definitions here a little bit. In this case, the definition of the word "ritual."

A ritual actually refers to any form of repeated regular action in association with something. For instance, changing your clothing before going to bed (into pajamas, your underwear, or nude, whatever your preference) instead of just sleeping in whatever you wore throughout the day could be considered a "ritual." So, the definition is actually rather wide in scope.

In a more proper sense, any and all forms of religious services count as a ritual.

Therefore, the "sinister" rituals that you are asking for would be absolutely anything that involves a very bad outcome that was carried out in a ritualistic manner. I would say the the "People's Temple Movement" drinking poisoned kool-aid back in 1978 certainly counts. But, we might be looking into something more repeated and regular than that if you're looking research for your writing. In this case, as strayCat0 said before, the Mayans are definitely going to be your best bet for the human sacrifice type department.
Aight thanks, everyone! I was particularly looking for the human sacrifices but since my novel will have heavy amounts of rituals, I will be saving all those sources. Thanks alot. Really appreciate the help!

Daitengu

BTK serial killer was pretty ritualistic in his killing. Perhaps not religiously, but he did them all the same way.

Not hard to use it as inspiration for some evil ritual.

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
watch Eyes Wide Shut, it's a hidden documentary which is why the director got murdered when it released even though it only features basic s*x magic.
also there's the ritual foreskin cutting and blood sucking that's horrible
the most evil real rituals are from the satanists that control the world, who torture, r*** & sacrifice children whenever they want (mostly immigrants & minorities, but also kidnapped kids more rarely), although they don't call themselves satanists. There was a video with Podesta where he berated a child in the basement of a pizzeria, saying "you think you're hot shit don'tcha!" with a gnarly voice. disgusting stuff, true nightmare fuel.
tl;dr the rituals aren't gone, they're done in basements or deep in forests

Amok

grblbrbl
read a book about Aum Shinrikyo for some modern examples. if you want the whacky stuff, check out cults and secret societies like https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Order_of_the_Pug

M C YT as documentary Mondo Cane has some weird shit going for it

and then there's all the examples throughout history all across the world. funerary sacrifices, rain dances, ritual cannibalism, burning of sacrifices, tribal circumcisions, bacchanal debauches, plethora of music-based practices and the list just goes on.

Echimera

Some cultures still perform female genital mutilation, which is pretty vile.
Not that the more common and accepted male variant is much better, if you ask me, though the medical risks are smaller as far as I know and it can have benefits if the general living situation has hygienic limitations. Though these hygienic aspects it was probably derived from have long since been solved without cutting parts from infants, at least in a big part of the world, which somewhat makes that aspect obsolete by now.

Depending on the flavor, there are a lot of things that seem fine at a glance but can have very sinister aspects in the broader context of a culture or religion.
Especially rituals with which people of lower classes or who have broken minor rules are demeaned or even demean themselves before their god can be used to reinforce the existing system from the ground up, which can be the foundation for much more obviously evil rituals.
Not to mention it can reinforce the rule of brutal and evil ruling classes (be it nobility, clergy or both), especially if they claim some form of divine right to their rule.
FGM can actually be part of this, if it used to put down women on an emotional level. Imagine one of your first somewhat clear memories being some high and mighty priest uncaringly cutting away at your privates.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Historically, I'd have to say blood libel was pretty gruesome.