Received 4 1-star ratings because another author accused me of stealing and cropping someone's else cover image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So it's better for me to shut up and receive revenge 1 star ratings for doing nothing to these people. It's not a big deal for you or anyone else. It's so easy to look at others' problems and consider it small and judge them for speaking out about it. You shut down their problems and tell them to stop witch hunting when there are admins that can see if the 1 star ratings are revenge ratings or not without the need to witch hunt.

This isn't drama. This is my writing hobby and I stop having fun when people revenge 1 star rating because they think im stealing their things. Maybe have some empathy and stop shutting down other's issues. Someone's issue might be small to others but that doesn't mean you can shit over it with 1 sentence and say they are resolved when it isn't.

Don't be surprised, GDLiZy and Ace represent this position on many similar threads. Just read a bit and you will see that the issue of 1 stars was discussed here quite often here on the forum. :blob_cookie:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
So it's better for me to shut up and receive revenge 1 star ratings for doing nothing to these people. It's not a big deal for you or anyone else. It's so easy to look at others' problems and consider it small and judge them for speaking out about it. You shut down their problems and tell them to stop witch hunting when there are admins that can see if the 1 star ratings are revenge ratings or not without the need to witch hunt.

This isn't drama. This is my writing hobby and I stop having fun when people revenge 1 star rating because they think im stealing their things. Maybe have some empathy and stop shutting down other's issues. Someone's issue might be small to others but that doesn't mean you can shit over it with 1 sentence and say they are resolved when it isn't.
No one is saying for you to "shut up and receive revenge 1 star ratings", Lizy was just saying the issue has been resolved now so pursuing further isn't worth it. The person who made the comment in the first place is in the wrong and should have reached out to you first privately. We aren't arguing that fact. Now that it's over, this matter should be left behind.

Ace_Arriande

For future reference, people can't remove their own ratings. If the 1-star ratings were removed, that means they either changed their ratings to positive ratings or Tony (the site owner and only admin) manually removed them (which you can tell is the case if the total amount of ratings went down). If the others weren't removed, there probably wasn't enough evidence to determine that they were illegitimate. Between that and your cover being restored, that's why people are saying the issue is resolved and why it isn't worth pursuing any further since it would be going into witch hunt territory, which is also against forum rules as far as I'm aware. You already got your victory. The person who tried to call you out looks bad for it and you look better for it. You've won, but you risk looking just as bad as the people you dislike if you try dragging this out. Now, if anybody else tries to start shit with you over the cover or you suspect that you get a new wave of 1-star ratings in retaliation over this whole situation, that is something you should 100% report if you are concerned about it. But for now, enjoy the weekend, feel good that you were declared to be in the right here, and write more chapters!

elgikia

No one is saying for you to "shut up and receive revenge 1 star ratings", Lizy was just saying the issue has been resolved now so pursuing further isn't worth it. The person who made the comment in the first place is in the wrong and should have reached out to you first privately. We aren't arguing that fact. Now that it's over, this matter should be left behind.
Yes, she decided for me that my issue is resolved and I should quit complaining to prevent drama and negativity. If you care about my opinion on whether my issue is resolved or not, it's below.

Unfortunate my issue is not resolved. Before there were 4 1-star ratings. 2 of them changed to 5-star and 1 of them changed to 3-star because he still has an issue with me and not my story. There's still 1 1-star left. I prefer if those ratings were removed from the authors that did it to only revenge rated. And the toxic comment on my first chapter accusing me of stealing to also be removed.

If that's not possible then I will just consider it as collateral damage for bad luck.

Appreciate the help from the community. Enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Yes, she decided for me that my issue is resolved and I should quit complaining to prevent drama and negativity. If you care about my opinion on whether my issue is resolved or not, it's below.

Unfortunate my issue is not resolved. Before there were 4 1-star ratings. 2 of them changed to 5-star and 1 of them changed to 3-star because he still has an issue with me and not my story. There's still 1 1-star left. I prefer if those ratings were removed from the authors that did it to only revenge rated. And the toxic comment on my first chapter accusing me of stealing to also be removed.

If that's not possible then I will just consider it as collateral damage for bad luck.
Present your evidence to the mod if you think that the ratings are still screwed, and you can delete the comments in your chapter.

I suggest you delete the screenshot and take it to the DM.

Ace_Arriande

grewfsdrgrfds.PNG

Just to use one of my own poor commenters as an example, this is how you can delete the comment from your chapter. Click the drop-down icon on the right of the comment and hit delete! Should have thought about explaining this much sooner, so apologies for being so delayed with that.

Rellawing

Optimistic Kitten
It's good that you can delete comments, depending, although doing so risks alienating a reader for suppressing, but it does put an end to silly drama, nya. :blob_hmm:

A good amount of authors use images found on the internet. Most don't own their avatars either, which is not a problem, and I sure don't own mine. Since this isn't a business and most do it for the joy of writing, that probably doesn't matter much. :blobthumbsup:

That having said, nya, there will be overlap sooner or later. A picture chosen at random on the internet likely appealed to someone else, so if anyone notices they may head-cannon that the author owns it when they don't. :blob_no:

I have to conclude with this, nya: a story getting five 1 star ratings for this kind of overlap is incredibly silly. It's a thin and flimsy reason to bury someone's story with them. :blob_frown:

elgikia

I know everyone thinks my issue is resolved and I won. I changed the cover image. Never received any apology for the two authors that accused me of stealing. Even after my book disappeared from the homepage, I received another 1-star rating from a new reader. How could someone even find my new story with 1 chapter in the first place to 1-star it.

And surprise where the new 1-star could possibly come from. They decided to post my topic URL on their discord to talk more shit about me. They even accused me of being petty like them to do revenge rating.
1593812781340.png
1593812283142.png

I already changed the cover but here's the image I bought: .

I know you are reading this. Keep hiding in your discord and think up more stories about me. Instead of an apology and just man up, you decide to double down on your bet of me buying the image after you posted your accusation. I don't even read your friend's story nor I know of it. I also didn't rate your story 0.5 star on royalroad. How many times will you accuse me of dumb stuff. I have the transactions details timestamped with the date on it .

Last edited:

elgikia

Timeline so far
1) woke up with 4 1-star ratings and toxic comment of accusation of theft
2) 2 1-star ratings were removed
3) 1 1-star rating changed to 3.
Bought new cover image to appease these assholes. Thought the problem was solved then
4) New 1 1-star rating after my topic was posted on their discord
5) They now accused me of revenge rating the guy's book 0.5 on royalroad
6) still accused me of buying the image after and not before. So I posted timestamped image of the transaction.
Still no apology. Just a bunch of assholes acting like they are best friends shitting on someone on their discord to get the pack riled up over a stock image.

I know you are reading this. I appreciate you looking down on me for a problem you started. I didn't ask for any of this. I appreciate the targeted harassment. Some day a publisher will pick up your book and wonder if this guy was a genuine person or just a prick. A single pm notifying would have been sufficient. Here's my shutterstock account if you are wondering if I'm petty enough like you to go steal your friend's cover image

Last edited:

D.Dimitrov

[Trash Talker]
Seems like some1 didn't learn his lesson. Already, people told you, stop frolicking about this or you will get hate in return, what you do isn't better and it's even worse than what you show this supposed guy does to you. Go on, continue to whine more, I might just drop you a 1 star too at the end, out of spite.

As much as you are angry, frustrated or what not, you have 2 options. 1st is to report the offender, the second is to talk between yourselves and get to conclusion.

Alright, you might ignore him too, but not openly discuss it here and whine more and more. Are you a baby? Or just another drama queen or something? Don't you realize that you only gather more hate like that?

elgikia

Seems like some1 didn't learn his lesson. Already, people told you, stop frolicking about this or you will get hate in return, what you do isn't better and it's even worse than what you show this supposed guy does to you. Go on, continue to whine more, I might just drop you a 1 star too at the end, out of spite.

As much as you are angry, frustrated or what not, you have 2 options. 1st is to report the offender, the second is to talk between yourselves and get to conclusion.

Alright, you might ignore him too, but not openly discuss it here and whine more and more. Are you a baby? Or just another drama queen or something? Don't you realize that you only gather more hate like that?
It's not up to you to decide if someone's problem is worthy of them whining or being a baby/drama queen. We care about these things because it's our work. You don't get to judge what we get to complain or which problem is worth the struggle. Someone's passion is another hobby. You aren't floating above our issues.

I had to pay for two cover images to appease a bunch of assholes (you included) to get them to stop with the harassment and still they won't stop.

Already you proved yourself to be someone who will 1-star someone's work for spite, so who's the baby here. Just because you don't like reading my topic?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

This is quite rich, isn't it? O.o Tell someone to grow up and stop whining one moment, and then threaten someone unknown with a revenge rating out of spite another moment.

elgikia

This is quite rich, isn't? O.o Tell someone to grow up and stop whining one moment, and then threaten someone unknown with a revenge rating out of spite another moment.
He must have came from discord or his parents didn't raise him right by shutting down his complaints. Abusive parents generally raise their kids by telling them to shut up and stop complaining. He probably thrived by making nasty jokes at others expenses, basically a bully, just cowards in different clothing.

The guy who liked his post was the one who accused me of theft, revenge rating and other bs.

D.Dimitrov

[Trash Talker]
It's not up to you to decide if someone's problem is worthy of them whining or being a baby/drama queen. We care about these things because it's our work. You don't get to judge what we get to complain or which problem is worth the struggle. Someone's passion is another hobby. You aren't floating above our issues.

I had to pay for two cover images to appease a bunch of assholes (you included) to get them to stop with the harassment and still they won't stop.

Already you proved yourself to be someone who will 1-star someone's work for spite, so who's the baby here. Just because you don't like reading my topic?
First, I didn't 1-star you.
Second, I am an author as you are and I've been through even worse.

What I tell you might be harsh, close to harassment even, but I am telling you for your own good.

And now, for my kind words, I got what, called asshole? Open your eyes a bit more, would you? Only for that I can report you, but I won't.

That's the problem with whiners, always thinking that they deserve better and have to tell it to the world. What? When I got abused with bad ratings and what not in other sites, did I complain about the world to see? Sure I didn't. You made your point already clear enough, but no, you have to add more salt to it, cuz why not? Well, I am telling you, stop being a snub, you will loose only more and win nothing in return.

Rinne

Professional Headpatter

It is just as much up to us to complain though.
Sure, it's your work and you get to be mad about 1*s, regardless whether they are legitimate or not. Nobody is going to take that from you. The problem is, that you are doing it in public. Many people here are authors themselves and they know exactly how frustrating such a situation can be.

The thing is, that being mad in public is not going to do any good for anyone. In fact, it's going to make things much worse for you. Awyn said that he "might" drop a 1* to show you just how much you are damaging your own reputation here. And if you want people to read your work, your reputation is important as well, unfortunately. Getting angry at us is not going to change anything.
And nobody is going to read the work of someone they know they have to be wary of.

Frankly, this is at this point more of an interpersonal problem between you and other people/authors. Nobody here is actually related to this nor can they help. We're just as helpless as you are. We can direct you to where you can get help, but we can't help you ourselves. Tony can remove illegitimate ratings for you if he has enough proof that they are, in fact, illegitimate. If he doesn't, there's not much he can do. And if Tony can't do anything, we can do even less.

So take the advice and calm down a little. You are lashing out at strangers you don't even know. Take the problem to the direct messages or elsewhere.
The only thing you are doing is giving the people attacking you more fuel.

Woofcano

Funny.
When did this turn into harassment?

1. A comment got posted letting you know using another author's cover is not cool. This happened mostly because of how the image was cropped and the poor resolution.
2. You got a few bad ratings blamed it on that comment. Tried to make a big deal out of it by making this thread. People that may have 1 starred you changed it.
3. The person that made the comment—me, got DMed a link to this thread and had a laugh at how ridiculous it is.
4. Linked it in his story's server to share its ridiculousness. Namely this:
The latter screenshots you posted are making fun of this comment, not accusing you of actually 0.5ing. Perhaps comprehension is a problem for you too.
5. In this span of time, you joined and left the server twice looking for ways to escalate the issue because someone else 1 starred you. (Yes people can keep track of such things)

Is this how it's going to be? Every time you get a 1 star you join my server to look for more screenshots. You're free to make a fool of yourself if you want, mate. Nothing I can do about it. If you're going to try web novelisation, you need thicker skin. If you're looking for an apology after this, you're barking up the wrong tree. However, I will thank you for giving everyone a lot of entertainment with your antics. Good luck with your story.

elgikia

Funny.
When did this turn into harassment?

1. A comment got posted letting you know using another author's cover is not cool. This happened mostly because of how the image was cropped and the poor resolution.
2. You got a few bad ratings blamed it on that comment. Tried to make a big deal out of it by making this thread. People that may have 1 starred you changed it.
3. The person that made the comment—me, got DMed a link to this thread and had a laugh at how ridiculous it is.
4. Linked it in his story's server to share its ridiculousness. Namely this:

The latter screenshots you posted are making fun of this comment, not accusing you of actually 0.5ing. Perhaps comprehension is a problem for you too.
5. In this span of time, you joined and left the server twice looking for ways to escalate the issue because someone else 1 starred you. (Yes people can keep track of such things)

Is this how it's going to be? Every time you get a 1 star you join my server to look for more screenshots. You're free to make a fool of yourself if you want, mate. Nothing I can do about it. If you're going to try web novelisation, you need thicker skin. If you're looking for an apology after this, you're barking up the wrong tree. However, I will thank you for giving everyone a lot of entertainment with your antics. Good luck with your story.
Must be nice to accuse others of theft, revenge rating then link my topic on your public discord to get your followers to attack me while having a big laugh at other's expense. Don't justify asshole behaviours with having thick skin. Why did you link my topic on your public discord then? What other purpose was it then get your followers to attack me?. Must be hard for you to realize you are wrong and shouldn't be attacking innocent authors that did nothing to you.

How much evidence do you need before you drop the accusations. I didn't steal your friend's cover image. Stop talking shit about my work and linking it on your discord.

Last edited:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I don't support the idea of handling this situation publicly like this from both you and elgikia. However, you should admit that you were the one wrong in the first place instead of blaming it on how the picture was "cropped" and "poor resolution".

If you had suspicion on the cover being stolen, you could have easily handled this by reaching out to the author and handle it as a private matter. Instead, you publicly stated it in their first chapter and began this issue. Again I don't support how this issue is being handled but I do think you should apologise for what you did.

elgikia

I don't support the idea of handling this situation publicly like this from both you and elgikia. However, you should admit that you were the one wrong in the first place instead of blaming it on how the picture was "cropped" and "poor resolution".

If you had suspicion on the cover being stolen, you could have easily handled this by reaching out to the author and handle it as a private matter. Instead, you publicly stated it in their first chapter and began this issue. Again I don't support how this issue is being handled but I do think you should apologise for what you did.
Thank you. I would have never been here if this didn't happen. I woke up with 4 1-star ratings. Posting this public was the only resolution. Once the conflict was resolved, I saw another 1-star rating after he posted my URL on his discord. This guy didn't want it to be resolved. Then their group started talking shit about my work and how I will be destroyed on another site. If this isn't targeted harassment then what is.

How delusional must someone be if they start a problem then get mad because other people that suffered for the stuff they caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.