recommend me the edgiest darkest grimmiest schnizzel you know of on this planet

grandiddykane

posted on royal road, now here. the post was condensed and edited. note: recommendations don't have to be restricted to scribble hub or royal road.

i'm not looking for a top notch story but if it has good qualities, i'm not against it. basically i'm looking for an mc who's evil (a plain villain) who's op asf, and does not use their powers for good. someone who does whatever they want, whenever they want, has a clear disregard for authority and makes their own rules and subjugates others to them. if you read something and didn't like it because you thought it was edgy or the mc was an asshole, recommend those to me. and please, dear god, could they not be a simp, or just be full on asexual (like myself), tbh? also, it'd be nice if the story were completed (hunterxhiatus), but it doesn't have to be, with a male lead, who's preferably non-human (again, doesn't have to be). and listen, if they're the dark lord or the demon lord or whatever, can they actually be the dark lord or demon lord or whatever? what i mean by this is that they never stick to their ****ING! roles. "oh yeah, i'm satan himself in the flesh but I work a 9 to 5 and am fighting against climate change." like no bro, wtf? also, would be cool if they had their own minions too who are op as well. world domination and necromancy are keywords i like. stories i like off the top of my head are overlord and that new webtoon, the warrior returns.

^not all criteria has to be met, of course.

I'd have to dig for any decent webnovels, but here's this: The Broken Empire trilogy.

LotsChrono

posted on royal road, now here. the post was condensed and edited. note: recommendations don't have to be restricted to scribble hub or royal road.

i'm not looking for a top notch story but if it has good qualities, i'm not against it. basically i'm looking for an mc who's evil (a plain villain) who's op asf, and does not use their powers for good. someone who does whatever they want, whenever they want, has a clear disregard for authority and makes their own rules and subjugates others to them. if you read something and didn't like it because you thought it was edgy or the mc was an asshole, recommend those to me. and please, dear god, could they not be a simp, or just be full on asexual (like myself), tbh? also, it'd be nice if the story were completed (hunterxhiatus), but it doesn't have to be, with a male lead, who's preferably non-human (again, doesn't have to be). and listen, if they're the dark lord or the demon lord or whatever, can they actually be the dark lord or demon lord or whatever? what i mean by this is that they never stick to their ****ING! roles. "oh yeah, i'm satan himself in the flesh but I work a 9 to 5 and am fighting against climate change." like no bro, wtf? also, would be cool if they had their own minions too who are op as well. world domination and necromancy are keywords i like. stories i like off the top of my head are overlord and that new webtoon, the warrior returns.

Completed Webnovel: Warlock of the Magus World — pure villain MC who tactically plans, kills, betrays, and steals his way to the top with an AI companion. Though he isn’t necessarily asexual, the women he has relationships with are more a means to an end to him. This is also a cultivation story but, you know, with an actual end.

Light novel: Dungeon Defense — a demon MC who is in the same vein as Lelouch from Code Geass, whose main goal is world domination through subterfuge. Through that, he surrounds himself with allies who are just as crazy and tactically proficient as him. Opposing him are demon lords, same as him, planning around each other and humanity and its hero; who is also somewhat of a batshit crazy tactician and genius fighter. —unlike the former, this story is more brain vs brain than direct conflict (though there is wars). Did I mention the MC’s general is a batshit crazy, but genius of a tactician, loli? And yes, the MC does actually act like a demon when necessary, which is quite often.

Those two would be my #1 recommendations for what you’re looking for, the latter better than the former, but both insanely good.

grandiddykane

:(
I'd have to dig for any decent webnovels, but here's this: The Broken Empire trilogy.
thanks for the suggestion. glad you suggested a novel, novel. i'm just now getting into those. haven't read any yet but so far i've accrued a long list of tbr.
The Other World's Wizard Does Not Chant
what the hell happened to my post? ah well, i guess i'll have to retype it from memory. basically what i said was that i checked the series out on novelupdates but it had the romance and harem genre and i generally don't get down with that. and going by the cover art, it doesn't seem like they (the genres) will be taking a backseat and might even be the primary focus of the story. i'll pass but thank you for the suggestion nonetheless.
Completed Webnovel: Warlock of the Magus World — pure villain MC who tactically plans, kills, betrays, and steals his way to the top with an AI companion. Though he isn’t necessarily asexual, the women he has relationships with are more a means to an end to him. This is also a cultivation story but, you know, with an actual end.

Light novel: Dungeon Defense — a demon MC who is in the same vein as Lelouch from Code Geass, whose main goal is world domination through subterfuge. Through that, he surrounds himself with allies who are just as crazy and tactically proficient as him. Opposing him are demon lords, same as him, planning around each other and humanity and its hero; who is also somewhat of a batshit crazy tactician and genius fighter. —unlike the former, this story is more brain vs brain than direct conflict (though there is wars). Did I mention the MC’s general is a batshit crazy, but genius of a tactician, loli? And yes, the MC does actually act like a demon when necessary, which is quite often.

Those two would be my #1 recommendations for what you’re looking for, the latter better than the former, but both insanely good.
thank god, i had warlock magus on my radar and wasn't sure about it for some reason (i don't know why cause the cover art looks cool asf and convincing), but yeah i'll definitely give it a try now. thanks for the nudge. and as for dungeon defense. well, i was sad when i had to drop "that time i got reincarnated as a slime," but this sounds kinda similar or even a mix between overlord and slime. anyway, i'll definitely check those out. thanks.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestion. glad you suggested a novel, novel. i'm just now getting into those. haven't read any yet but so far i've accrued a long list of tbr.
Prince of Thorns( the first book) is my favorite novel as of yet. It's not the best overall, but it's still my favorite. the MC is complete sociopath, and the writing style literally puts you in his head. for reference the first scene is MC and his bandit group raiding a village. he fucks off and leaves his goons to rape the women.

If you want more grimdark check out the First Law by Joe Abercrombie. Now this is much less edgy (in terms of the MC), but it's much more polished. absolutely gorgeous work.

Also, here's a manga Maou No Hajimekata. It's fairly dark, but quite sexual.

grandiddykane

Prince of Thorns( the first book) is my favorite novel as of yet. It's not the best overall, but it's still my favorite. the MC is complete sociopath, and the writing style literally puts you in his head. for reference the first scene is MC and his bandit group raiding a village. he fucks off and leaves his goons to rape the women.

If you want more grimdark check out the First Law by Joe Abercrombie. Now this is much less edgy (in terms of the MC), but it's much more polished. absolutely gorgeous work.

Also, here's a manga Maou No Hajimekata. It's fairly dark, but quite sexual.
yes, the rating on the first book, as i checked on goodreads, was quite low (normally, i'd do only above 3.95) but i figured it was because of the things you just said. which is why i'm also going to check out the magician by lev grossman. its rated super low but i figure that's only due to a feminists nitpickings or some such.

thank you for the extra suggestions BTW. i didn't check this thread because no one was responding (with any serious answers) for so long, but i'm glad to see the quality recommendations that extend further than web serials.

i might hold off on the manga for now, not because i'm adverse to media of that nature but just because, as you can tell by this thread, i'm currently in the mood for something much more serious in tone.

grandiddykane

if it's anything like the tv show, then I doubt this is what you want. It's grim, but the MC was anything but a villain. It was pretty enjoyable though.
yeah, i know. not exactly what i specified for in this thread. i as well also watched the first episode of the tv show and dropped it not even halfway through. but their was something that caught me; a feeling of some missed potential, so my thinking was the book could most likely (hopefully) remedy this.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
what the hell happened to my post? ah well, i guess i'll have to retype it from memory. basically what i said was that i checked the series out on novelupdates but it had the romance and harem genre and i generally don't get down with that. and going by the cover art, it doesn't seem like they (the genres) will be taking a backseat and might even be the primary focus of the story. i'll pass but thank you for the suggestion nonetheless.
huh, so there's an LN version of it? i only know the manga.

i also only read that for 4 chapter or so, because the plot is.....well, exactly as you described on the first post.

Habtamu

in fanfiction, sir lucifer morningstar works, all his mc are dark, edgy, sexual, sociopath and evil.his writing is topnotch, but he didn't completed the stories,and i don't know if he dropped it, if you want good writing and evil mc's, try it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
This is also a cultivation story but, you know, with an actual end.
this sentence is grammatically correct, with no redundancy or contradiction, yet reading it aloud feels wrong and I don't know why.