Writing Recreating my superheroes origin backstory

MadmanRB

If your first response is to call me a racist brainwashed by the right wing you have some serious bias my dude. I'm not the one supported by billionaires, the military industrial complex, and basically everything else evil in the world, that's you. 😅 You are again assuming Derek Chauvin had a hand in his death, which according to the autopsy is just not true. He would of died that day no matter what happened because of all the drugs he was on. The autopsy also showed he had plenty of oxygen in his blood btw.

Just because you have oxygen in the blood doesn't mean that death from asphyxiation is impossible.
Also, even if the autopsy did reveal drugs in his system it's the amount of drugs that would still be in question as I am aware that he had fentanyl in his system but most reports I have studied suggested it was minimal at best.
He apparently also had Meth but again not a lot of it.
And unless you believe in "reefer madness" the Marijuana in his system was also apparently low.
Yes he apparently did have a heart condition but that in turn makes what happened even worse.
Again there were a million ways to subdue Floyd here and the method taken by Chuvan was the incorrect choice no matter what.

Yeah, but how many people watch Aliens for the Vietnam War allegory? Fans just get entertained by it and enjoy it for the action, suspense, or whatever else.

The Vietnam War thing is for people who want to write video essays or want to write an academic paper of Aliens, and it's something that everyday people won't even notice. If you're someone who quickly picks up those deeper and hidden themes and such, good for you. But I doubt the average reader would care, much less notice those.

I honestly doubt people would care if you straightup write a story about police. No offense intended, but I feel you're overthinking things.
Actually I rather like such discussions, they are fun in their own right and allegory is something you can stumble upon even if it wasnt intended.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Just because you have oxygen in the blood doesn't mean that death from asphyxiation is impossible.
Also, even if the autopsy did reveal drugs in his system it's the amount of drugs that would still be in question as I am aware that he had fentanyl in his system but most reports I have studied suggested it was minimal at best.
He apparently also had Meth but again not a lot of it.
And unless you believe in "reefer madness" the Marijuana in his system was also apparently low.
Yes he apparently did have a heart condition but that in turn makes what happened even worse.
Again there were a million ways to subdue Floyd here and the method taken by Chuvan was the incorrect choice no matter what.

Actually I rather like such discussions, they are fun in their own right and allegory is something you can stumble upon even if it wasnt intended.
Again, based on the autopsy, he had enough fentanyl in his system to kill him. Your suggestion that is was minimal is simply untrue. Also the method of subduing him was pretty standard before all this happened.

MadmanRB

Again, based on the autopsy, he had enough fentanyl in his system to kill him. Your suggestion that is was minimal is simply untrue. Also the method of subduing him was pretty standard before all this happened.

If this was true Chauvin would not have been convicted of second degree murder or the death would have been ruled a manslaughter at best.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
If this was true Chauvin would not have been convicted of second degree murder or the death would have been ruled a manslaughter at best.
Everyone knows that trial was rigged so we didn't get another summer of riots. The jury even had a BLM activist on it.

MadmanRB

Everyone knows that trial was rigged so we didn't get another summer of riots. The jury even had a BLM activist on it.

So says every right ring nutcase I see on the matter.
You sure as heck sound like one of those alt right nutjobs so far.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
So says every right ring nutcase I see on the matter.
You sure as heck sound like one of those alt right nutjobs so far.
Lol, so anyone that doesn't believe the same thing as you is a nut? Talk about right wing XD

sereminar

Back to the topic I think that your mc could join the police thinking to push it towards his values/idolising his father before becoming disillusioned with both. Realizing the actual function of the police and the reason behind what drives crime and violence.

Then taking that information and leaving the force to become a super hero that isn't just another cop in a cape.

That way you can keep quite a bit of backstory?

Hadassah

So here is the scoop, I am totally redoing my characters backstories and well I want to solve a problem....

You might approach it with a slightly different direct as well and consider paramedics.

Paramedics are constantly dealing with stressed and upset people, would have some experience handling unpredictable trauma victims, and certainly would have a reason to have a grudge against villains if there is a history of collateral damage in-universe.

Both private and public paramedic companies exist so you can sort of play with how close-knit they are to each other or the local government. A small team responding to a specific crisis makes perfect sense. You can even throw in a small "Since superheroes, paramedics don't work in teams less than five" or whatever rules you need to justify.

I don't think this hits your "combat experience" concerns, but then, its not like the police are best trained or supposed to handle "combat" against citizens/civilians anyway. Everyone agrees the mission statement isn't state sanction murdered, so I am not sure they'd have worked great on that same logic.

If you really want 'combat', you can do ROTC members or some specialty cop branch like "SWAT" that doesn't deal with civilians (usually) to try to sidestep some of your original concerns.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Lots of police officers start off in the military before they get out and realize they aren't suited for most other careers.

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
This suggestion of mine is PURELY MY OPINION. So if it sucks, don't follow it.
You can make it that the kid himself likes the idea of justice, fairness and un-biased judgements. He's been quite the rebellious kid as he grew up since he wants to do good like his father's stories told by him. He was a renowned policeman who had caught multiple criminals and had taken part in many bust operations before. He's saved countless of his fellow officers and is basically a hero on his own. However, as he grew up, he found out that his father wasn't that great. Rather, he was just a normal police guard, working a normal job, in a normal environment. This breaks his image of his father and that's when his path to become a hero starts. He will be faced with many problems that make your mind melt, making him choose which is right or wrong while both are either morally and/or legally right while being legally and/or morally wrong.
If you want some ideas about the situations I'm talking about (the mind melting ones), go watch Death Parade, you can't go wrong with watching that.