Implemented Reduce prominence of long-inactive novels (without "finished" status) on similiar series

Reisinling

As in title. One of the most commonly recommended novels among those with tags "non human protagonist" and "non humanoid protagonist" are "I, who identified as an Attack Helicopter as a joke, reincarnated as one." and "You Reincarnated as a Cursed Sword", both of which have been inactive for half a year.

I'm not saying they should be banned from the recommendations altogether, it would just be nice if novels that are inactive were not recommended as often (and I'm saying this as a reader more than an author, it bums me out every time I see something interesting, click on it... only to find out it has been dropped)

Reisinling

Just to make it clear how prevalent the problem is, here are the "Similar novels" for the top 5 trending novels right now:
"The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants To Enjoy Her New Life"
- reincarnated as an op loli - inactive for the past 6 months
- katalepsis - ok
- "Reincarnated as an Elf’s Best Friend" - inactive for 3 months
- "Crystal down" - ok
- "I, who identified as an Attack Helicopter as a joke, reincarnated as one." - inactive for 6 months

"R. A. T. H"
- "Beastly – Screw being human . . . they suck anyway!" - ok
- "Lets Explore and Enjoy" - 6 months inactive
- "I am Apocalypse" - ok
- "Rekindle" - 2 years inactive
- "Dead Tired" - ok and good novel, read it

"The Demon’s Gate." - 2/4 inactive, too lazy to type
"The novel’s extra’s extra" - 1/5 inactive, best result yet

Also, why sometimes there are 4 and other times 5 similar novels recommended?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Just to make it clear how prevalent the problem is, here are the "Similar novels" for the top 5 trending novels right now:
"The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants To Enjoy Her New Life"
- reincarnated as an op loli - inactive for the past 6 months
- katalepsis - ok
- "Reincarnated as an Elf’s Best Friend" - inactive for 3 months
- "Crystal down" - ok
- "I, who identified as an Attack Helicopter as a joke, reincarnated as one." - inactive for 6 months

"R. A. T. H"
- "Beastly – Screw being human . . . they suck anyway!" - ok
- "Lets Explore and Enjoy" - 6 months inactive
- "I am Apocalypse" - ok
- "Rekindle" - 2 years inactive
- "Dead Tired" - ok and good novel, read it

"The Demon’s Gate." - 2/4 inactive, too lazy to type
"The novel’s extra’s extra" - 1/5 inactive, best result yet

Also, why sometimes there are 4 and other times 5 similar novels recommended?
But what is the author picks it up again? The novel may be dwarfed by the others because of little view count...

Reisinling

Recommendations are broken in general.
Lol, I went throgh similar series of your novel- 2 inactive over half a year, and 2 inactive for over a month (though that might be okay)

But what is the author picks it up again? The novel may be dwarfed by the others because of little view count...
Then they should come back to recommendations. If you drop a novel for half a year you should be taken over by other more active novels

D

Deleted member 45782

Interesting suggestion that seems valid. But how will you measure their inactive status like an author going on a hiatus mode? Will it be measured by if they haven't posted anything in the last 3 months, last 6 months or last few weeks? Etc.

Also agree with @CadmarLegend's post. If the author(s) do come back from their hiatus and start writing again, how will they exactly reappear in recommendations now that they have been noted as a hiatus? Sounds like part of this will depend on how authors get noted as a hiatus so they can disappear from the recommendations list, but how will that label fall off once they start writing again, so they could re-enter the recommendations if they want to?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
Interesting suggestion that seems valid. But how will you measure their inactive status like an author going on a hiatus mode? Will it be measured by if they haven't posted anything in the last 3 months, last 6 months or last few weeks? Etc.

Also agree with @CadmarLegend's post. If the author(s) do come back from their hiatus and start writing again, how will they exactly reappear in recommendations now that they have been noted as a hiatus? Sounds like part of this will depend on how authors get noted as a hiatus so they can disappear from the recommendations list, but how will that label fall off once they start writing again, so they could re-enter the recommendations if they want to?
My question, but written better....
xD

TunTun

Sounds like part of this will depend on how authors get noted as a hiatus so they can disappear from the recommendations list, but how will that label fall off once they start writing again, so they could re-enter the recommendations if they want to?

1.- You go on a hiatus for 1 month? Novel gets tagged as Hiatus.
2.- You post again while tagged as Hiatus? Hiatus gets removed.

Reisinling

Has this been implemented? Because suddenly I can't find a single inactive series in similar-series boxes @Tony

TunTun

I think if it was, it would have that Implemented note on the thread title.

Has this been implemented? Because suddenly I can't find a single inactive series in similar-series boxes @Tony
  • Feature update: The 'Similar Series' function located in the series page should be able to find similar series a lot better than the old one. Also, novels that hasn't been updated in the past 90 days will no longer show here.

Yes, Tony made changes.

D

Deleted member 45782

• Feature update: The 'Similar Series' function located in the series page should be able to find similar series a lot better than the old one. Also, novels that hasn't been updated in the past 90 days will no longer show here.

Yes, Tony made changes.
Cool. Thanks for the heads-up!