Regarding absurd comedy

Agentt

Thighs
"Maths is all about making your own rules and seeing what happens" By Vihart​
So, I write what I like to call absurd comedy.

What is absurd comedy? It's comedy where the punchline is the silliness. The unrealistic factor is what makes it humorous. Or humourous? However it's spelled. I don't quite remember the difference between the name of the humor and humour. One of them is a bone, perhaps. Or is it one of those American-British English things?

Absurd comedy is basically one step above laughing at hearing "Uranus can fit 63 Earths inside it."
An example I thought of is-
"You should give up drugs," said my mother to me.
"My mother didn't raise a quitter," I replied as I tore her face, revealing it was Batman all along.

Don't like it? Well....mehh...

Anyhow, while such one liners can be quite good, when you try to do this throughout the chapter, or even throughout your novel, it gets very disorienting. Kinda confusing, you can say.

Which is why every manga I have read which follows absurd comedy is in form of 4-koma. And when they turn into anime, they are in form of skits, like how Nichijou was.

This is also seen in many manhuas where they switch to chibi mode while making such jokes, usually puns, to inform the readers that this isn't canon and they don't need to wonder if they missed a page or something.

So, I should probably do that as well.

HOWEVER! I want to perfect absurd comedy to its peak!
To infinity and beyond we shall go!

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Absurd comedy is basically one step above laughing at hearing "Uranus can fit 63 Earths inside it."
"My mother didn't raise a quitter," I replied as I tore her face, revealing it was Batman all along.
Ai-chan just posts to say this one thing: That is one crazy huge anus!

Unless you don't mean it literally and you actually mean soil? If so, 63 grams of earth is not a big deal.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
This kind of humor is what I like to call the "unexpected display" to the people involved it sounds absolutely stupid but to someone on the outside like the reader, it is so unexpected that it triggers a laugh. I use it a lot and it's pretty hit or miss. sometimes though, it can be used for an entire scene so that when someone tries to describe the scene to someone it sounds so bizarre and crazy that their reaction is almost always "what the fuck?" for example, I'll tell you about a scene of my main story where the main cast goes to the lower intestines of the universe to meet with Kronos who gets them all high off a psychedelic tree after being told to do so by the Fairy King and his Dommy mommy wife who gifted the main cast a midget and told them to kill the god of time who lives in the MCs head.

Agentt

Thighs
That is one crazy huge anus!
(*/▽\*)
Thank you, I'm proud of it. It does refer to the planet
I'll tell you about a scene of my main story where the main cast goes to the lower intestines of the universe to meet with Kronos who gets them all high off a psychedelic tree after being told to do so by the Fairy King and his Dommy mommy wife who gifted the main cast a midget and told them to kill the god of time who lives in the MCs head.
@.@)
Wow, you....are good

Echimera

Gotta remember to visit the solar system when I go for another Mass Effect 2 playthrough. I mean, who would pass up the chance to literally probe Uranus.

Agentt

Thighs
Gotta remember to visit the solar system when I go for another Mass Effect 2 playthrough. I mean, who would pass up the chance to literally probe Uranus.
Be careful, I've heard it's full of gas

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

What is absurd comedy? It's comedy where the punchline is the silliness. The unrealistic factor is what makes it humorous. Or humourous? However it's spelled. I don't quite remember the difference between the name of the humor and humour. One of them is a bone, perhaps. Or is it one of those American-British English things?

Anyhow, while such one liners can be quite good, when you try to do this throughout the chapter, or even throughout your novel, it gets very disorienting. Kinda confusing, you can say.

Which is why every manga I have read which follows absurd comedy is in form of 4-koma. And when they turn into anime, they are in form of skits, like how Nichijou was.

This is also seen in many manhuas where they switch to chibi mode while making such jokes, usually puns, to inform the readers that this isn't canon and they don't need to wonder if they missed a page or something.

I’m racist. And I WILL WIN THE RACE WARS!

Ritz

Adding nothing to this conversation but this is what I think of when I hear absurdist comedy
1643227459151.png

Mr.Grey-Cat

My friend is really something, you know? just a single glance and he can steal any girl's heart. But because I am his only friend, I am stuck with half of them in my damn Fridge.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
You've either got it or you don't. And I'm sorry, but I just don't think you've got it.

Kaze_Kozuha

I'm trying to make my novel comedic by making it based on real life and having references to other books.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Absurd comedy is not the same as "randumb." Absurdists and nihilists share a belief that there is no inherent higher meaning to human life. It's just that they go different ways about it. Absurdists recognize no inherent meaning and laugh about it. Nihilists recognize no inherent meaning and cry about it on Reddit. If that applies to you, cope, seethe, and find religion. Absurdism isn't about nonsense. Absurdist comedy isn't about nonsensical things happening and those being funny.

Absurd comedy is divorcing yourself from the mundane and banal and recognizing the humor in it. By that logic, Seinfeld is absurdist comedy. It is a show devoid of meaning. The characters do not have higher calling and they have almost inhuman personalities. They exist in a mundane world but they are divorced from it because of their mannerisms and actions. The show still makes logical sense, and establishes rules for jokes and punchlines.

The Soup Nazi skit is still one of the funniest from the show and it's based off a real-life soup establishment.

What you are describing is "randumb humor," or the rejection of cause, effect, logic and rules in favor of vomiting your stream-of-consciousness onto the screen. Just like vomit and streams of things that come from the flesh (not the mind), most people want minimal exposure.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Alfred is a pig.
He is also my worst enemy.
But there is a saying that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Except, Alfred is also his own worst enemy.
So this makes Alfred my best friend.
Does that mean that Alfred is both my best friend and my worst enemy?
But Alfred is also a pig.
So my best friend and also worst enemy is a pig?