Regarding Tags

CuriousBlackCat

Hello there everyone, I've noticed something that I would like to point out or at least get some clarity on.

Whenever I search for something new to add to my pile of stuff to reading, there a very specific set of tags and categories I choose to exclude from my search because I either don't feel like looking for anything along those lines or I just hate them in general. However, I tend to come across stories that should have these tags, but don't regularly (literally would be looking for stories with only Male Protagonists, only to stumble over like three or four stories with female protags for example).

While I don't want to be that guy who'd suddenly make a comment or review basically saying, "Bruh, you're missing tags" because I feel it's kinda rude and reporting the story seems a little excessive, is there something in place that can help with this?

I guess there's also some stories where the tags might spoil some plot points for a story, but it kinda sucks when I have to drop a story when something happens that a tag could have warned me about (like say a scene with netorare/netori/netorase, I can't stand anything like that), but again...is there some kind of invisible tag function that would let it be excluded from a search if it was marked as such?

Hell of a first post on this forum, but I'm really tired of getting stuff I don't want to see in my searches.

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
One thing to note OP, all stories have a maximum number of 25 tags. Some authors just run out of space to add new tags. I'm certain that some tags may be more relevant than others, but choosing tags can sometimes be more of an art than a science.

Also, on a secondary note, sometimes authors just forget about the tags after their stories are created. I know that I personally had the "archery" tag on one of my stories for months because the "original draft" had the protagonist as an archer, however, in the draft posted... she rarely ever touched a bow. If you feel like the tags are off, feel free to comment on it (comments help the story hit trending anyways so even if it is a bad comment, you're helping them.)

Or you can go to the author's profile and click "message" and send them a DM.

Echimera

There are a bunch of things that would make the tags better from a user perspective:
-Suggesting tags for a story via a dedicated menu would be way more efficient and discrete than making a comment or message, which can come off as calling out the author. If a tag is suggested often enough, it maybe even should overrule the author, albeit marked appropriately
-Some tags and genres maybe should block each other or require or suggest additional tags to specify certain aspects. For example:
--A story marked with GL or BL as the genre really doesn't need the GL or BL subplot tags as far as I am concerned, that's just irritating)
--On the other hand, a GB story should maybe specify if it's mtf or ftm (or both), and maybe also if it has trans themes
-The ability to mark tags as spoilers and make them hidden when the page first opens might be good
-If possible, lifting the number restriction on tags might be good

Another tangential thing would be the fandom tagging. That really needs an overhaul to reign in the sometimes arbitrary way in which people use it.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
-On the other hand, a GB story should maybe specify if it's mtf or ftm (or both), and maybe also if it has trans themes
There's already a transgender tag that's used in conjunction with GB if it's a trans story.

--A story marked with GL or BL as the genre really doesn't need the GL or BL subplot tags as far as I am concerned, that's just irritating)
the reverse of that is true as well. I've seen a small few stories lately where GL content is a very minor subplot yet the authors have used the GL genre tag as well as the subplot tag when only the subplot tag was needed.

---------------------------------------
Appropriate tagging has always been a minor muddle as some authors do have a tendency to mistag genre tags which are the ones that spell out the main things about your story. Fortunately, most authors seem to be open to adjusting their tags if they're politely notified about any mistaggings.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
A suggest tag feature would be really nice to have, and if a suggestion gets enough votes, the tag should automatically be added, like with steam.
I would add more tags to my story, but the limit is 25, so I'd also like it if the tags added by the community did not count towards the total number of tags added by the author.

CL

A suggest tag feature would be really nice to have, and if a suggestion gets enough votes, the tag should automatically be added, like with steam.
I believe this had been discussed before and there was an agreement that some stories would be maliciously mislabeled by others. But I do like the idea of an invisible tag system to avoid apparent spoilers. :blob_cookie: