Regional Map for Novel

J_Chemist

For me, I lost the manuscripts good for 15 volumes of my isekai novel. Two manuscripts worth of my story, DECK. One manuscript for my other novel, Ballad of the School Hallways. Three chapters of my manga, Paulina Rex.

Also, hundreds of illustrations for all my novels (including the maps), and the chibi illustrations I did for free for the denizens of ScribbleHub and other site forum I'm included.
....My condolences. Holy shit.

D

Deleted member 54065

@J_Chemist ah! I found some low quality images of the maps (on Facebook) I made using Inkarnate and Photoshop, with the 'old map' effects.

285979691_119765224072621_4912453162263205741_n.jpg

285435372_119765144072629_8805477607448537864_n.jpg

285633296_119765174072626_9201856734857896216_n.jpg

285202520_119765130739297_7636175457008151977_n.jpg

285647918_119765150739295_5119651906219024616_n.jpg

285470947_119765237405953_3695574222025846793_n.jpg

....My condolences. Holy shit.
Tis fine. That's why I'm making a new cover art and illustration series for all my novels XD

J_Chemist

Oh, I love these! The detail in them is incredible, and the effects to sort of scorch/age the paper are just brilliant. I can definitely visualize the use of them in a story, especially the more regional battle maps.

From how you've shared them, it's sort of like zooming in on the specific space. Definitely a technique I plan to do in my own story should I get the motivation/opportunity. Well done. I would shrink the arrows, though. They look sort of cartoony on top of the map texture you've utilized, but I would still use the theme of your last map. The black and gray arrows, just more narrow, would remind me a lot of WWII battle maps that I've seen.

D

Deleted member 54065

Oh, I love these! The detail in them is incredible, and the effects to sort of scorch/age the paper are just brilliant. I can definitely visualize the use of them in a story, especially the more regional battle maps.

From how you've shared them, it's sort of like zooming in on the specific space. Definitely a technique I plan to do in my own story should I get the motivation/opportunity. Well done. I would shrink the arrows, though. They look sort of cartoony on top of the map texture you've utilized, but I would still use the theme of your last map. The black and gray arrows, just more narrow, would remind me a lot of WWII battle maps that I've seen.
Actually, my workspace is small >.<, since I'm only using free version of Inkarnate. Yes, I also took the 'zoom' technique to highlight important parts of the map and connect it to the major events in my story. Had a blast making those XD

As for the arrows? Yeah, I used Photoshop with that, and yes, I did try to make the arrows small. However, it's kind of difficult to see.

J_Chemist

Someone talked shit about my map. Being petty and competitive, I did more research, found more references, and started over. Just finished the first continent.

Map-making has me wanting to DM/GM a tabletop game now more than ever.

J_Chemist

Version 4 of my World Map is complete. About tore off my own scalp once I started getting into the gritty bits of the second continent. For context; doing so is difficult, as I have no hair.

If any of y'all have any recommendations or ideas, feel free to share! Unsure if I want to plaster labels of things all over the map but I plan to see how it looks tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 54065

Version 4 of my World Map is complete. About tore off my own scalp once I started getting into the gritty bits of the second continent. For context; doing so is difficult, as I have no hair.

If any of y'all have any recommendations or ideas, feel free to share! Unsure if I want to plaster labels of things all over the map but I plan to see how it looks tomorrow.

Dang...would be really nice if this is interactive with all the information about places and people. :love::love::love::love::love:

J_Chemist

Dang...would be really nice if this is interactive with all the information about places and people. :love::love::love::love::love:
The ultimate goal is to eventually have regional-specific maps that are more zoomed in for each area/zone. I'd love to build a glossary of sorts or a Wiki Page, but that would require far more effort than I'm willing to put in at the moment. Especially since I don't get paid for it. As a writer and the Creator, I do love my world. I love all of it, and its people, and I can't wait to write the adventures within it. But, all that backstory stuff is time-consuming as hell.

Might be something I do later on if I decide to get a Patreon or set up one of those Coffee things.

D

Deleted member 54065

The ultimate goal is to eventually have regional-specific maps that are more zoomed in for each area/zone. I'd love to build a glossary of sorts or a Wiki Page, but that would require far more effort than I'm willing to put in at the moment. Especially since I don't get paid for it. As a writer and the Creator, I do love my world. I love all of it, and its people, and I can't wait to write the adventures within it. But, all that backstory stuff is time-consuming as hell.

Might be something I do later on if I decide to get a Patreon or set up one of those Coffee things.
You're not building a story, you're building a legendarium. And I like that. XD

J_Chemist

You're not building a story, you're building a legendarium. And I like that. XD
I won't say I was only inspired by Tolkein's works in terms of his writing but I was inspired by how grand of a scale his books are. Just that insane scope of how much detail he brought out of the various places, the races, and the tales of the Fellowship, is incredibly beautiful. Then when I found Tabletop and learned of other vast, massive universes/worlds. It's all very inspirational to me, as someone who has an almost unending imaginative headspace, to know that I too can make something on par with those world models so long as I take the time to think and plan.

Creating something on such a massive scale is a goal of mine and I hope to meet it with my story. I avoided the map at first as I wasn't exactly sure of what the world looked like. But, now that I've taken the time and put in the effort, it's exciting to know that it's a possible outcome.