Regional Map for Novel

J_Chemist

Made a regional map for my book. Paid 5 dollars for Inkarnate and after fussing around for maybe two or three hours initially, tinkering and figuring it out, I ended up making something a lot better than I was in Photoshop. Along with my map, I'll provide a brief review if any of you out there also are looking to make a map for your book and are looking for a tool to use.

BLUF: I highly recommend this tool. 8/10.

For the past almost six to eight months, I've been working in Photoshop, using Youtube, and trying out a range of different techniques to get the map I felt satisfied with using. I've downloaded Map brushes, did the cloud layer technique, and tried a few other online world generation tools. Hell, I even tried a Minecraft seed. With each map I made/drafted, I put in the effort to pretty it up and put the map through extensive editing processes. I didn't want to half-ass it and give myself any excuse to say "this ain't it". Even so, none of them felt quite right. I always felt like the map looked off. That, or the level of detail wasn't what I wanted. So after making several maps, I ditched them all but kept them in my back pocket for references. I had the idea and the shape but nothing ever looked right. I tinkered with the various landmass shapes and eventually had the template of a map shape that I wanted but the tools themselves weren't what I was looking for.

Today, around 1200, I decided to busy up my day and try to make a map again. I found a lovely video from a gentleman who went over 5 map tools. Three of which I knew about already and two I quickly wrote off. Inkarnate was on my radar but I dodged it originally because I didn't actually like the interface when I'd first encountered it. I was wearing eye blinders and had thought that if I couldn't do it in Photoshop, fuck it. I wouldn't use it and it was probably shit. But jokes on me, I'm the clown here. I watched his video, saw how the interface looked from another perspective and found that I was just an idiot before and hadn't actually given the tool a proper try. Thus, I decided to do so.

I fiddled around with the free version for maybe twenty minutes. The landmass tool was smooth. It was a bit rough in terms of visual impact and I actually found it hard to visualize what I wanted when I was freehanding it. However, once I pulled up my templates and used the general shape, I found it to be significantly easier than any other technique I had utilized thus far. With a click and drag, I had my continents, islands, impact craters for one of my plot line areas, and the setup for several different regions and countries. Another ten minutes and I was able to figure out the different coloring tools for things like forests, deserts, mountains, etc. Within the two hours of my initial fiddling, I had decided to fork over the five bucks and really commit to the tool. It was far easier than anything I had ever used. It had all of the tools I needed from icons to pathings for rivers and country lines. By tapping a few buttons, I could switch up the brush and swath over land to change from forest to desert. It was so easy to do so that I ended up wasting time in the tool just to experiment with what kind of green I wanted my trees to be.

TLDR- it was easy and a brainless investment. Using the tool, I was able to turn off my brain and lean into my Creative Vision of the world for my novel. Instead of worrying about what youtube video I was going to search for next, Inkcarnate provided me with what I needed with little effort on my end. There were so many options available for me that I spent more time deciding on what I liked as if I were standing in a Lowe's trying to decide on what shade of white paint primer looked better.

But Mr. Chemist, if you liked it so much, why the 8/10 and not 10/10? Because nothing is perfect. Nor is this tool.

My only gripe is that there is no handholding in terms of creativity with this tool. The map is a clean, blue slate of water when you first open it. It doesn't give you any templates or any example landmass to work with when you generate your map. You are able to select what type of map you'll be creating at the beginning, which helps the tool adjust itself to what you're going to be making (it changes the Icon sets and a few other parameters). However, the tool does what it is made to do. It leaves the creative process entirely up to you.

For some people who struggle with that initial step and find it easier to work with an already made world/generated map, this tool may not be it for you. I was able to get the product I wanted because of the hours I put in with the other tools. The mental image I have of my world is sharp and clear. I know exactly what I want and where I want it. It takes some adjustment to put thought to paper but in the end, it comes out how I want it. If you struggle with that and everything is just a blur or not quite set right, this tool might be a bit of a double-edged knife for you. Since there's no guidance, it's easy to blank when you're staring at the blue starting map.

But, I never give problems without solutions. Doing so doesn't help. Thus, what I recommend is to simply paint. If you have an idea in your head but don't exactly know what it properly looks like, just grip the mouse and start stroking across the map. Use the tools Inkarnate gives you and just start inking out landmasses. Use the eraser/subtraction tool to adjust and you'll find yourself saying "I like that" and moving forward, or "Nah, that's not right" and making the changes. Freezing up and thinking the tool is shit because you failed on your end doesn't make the tool bad. It makes you lazy for not giving it a proper try, just like I had.

The free version of the tool has enough stuff in it to provide a "good enough" map. If you have five dollars to spare for the month, I personally don't think you will regret your purchase. But, if you're smart, I would do up your map(s) on the free version first and then make your purchase. That way you can make any and all of the maps you need rather quickly and only pay for one month.

I've talked enough. Map is attached. Be well,

-- J.C.

EDIT: File size too large? What in the--

Inkarnate Map Link

Last edited:

StrongArm

It looks great bro
All fantasy nerds love a good map. It gets our nerdy dicks hard

But if im bein honest... you shoulda just stuck with the free version

I use the free version, to make this. Also had a bitch of a time fitting it in this message, so it only shows 3/4

My project (2).jpg

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Made a regional map for my book. Paid 5 dollars for Inkarnate and after fussing around for maybe two or three hours initially, tinkering and figuring it out, I ended up making something a lot better than I was in Photoshop. Along with my map, I'll provide a brief review if any of you out there also are looking to make a map for your book and are looking for a tool to use.

For the past almost six to eight months, I've been working in Photoshop, using Youtube, and trying out a range of different techniques to get the map I felt satisfied with using. I've downloaded Map brushes, did the cloud layer technique, and tried a few other online world generation tools. Hell, I even tried a Minecraft seed. With each map I made/drafted, I put in the effort to pretty it up and put the map through extensive editing processes. I didn't want to half-ass it and give myself any excuse to say "this ain't it". Even so, none of them felt quite right. I always felt like the map looked off. That, or the level of detail wasn't what I wanted. So after making several maps, I ditched them all but kept them in my back pocket for references. I had the idea and the shape but nothing ever looked right. I tinkered with the various landmass shapes and eventually had the template of a map shape that I wanted but the tools themselves weren't what I was looking for.

Today, around 1200, I decided to busy up my day and try to make a map again. I found a lovely video from a gentleman who went over 5 map tools. Three of which I knew about already and two I quickly wrote off. Inkarnate was on my radar but I dodged it originally because I didn't actually like the interface when I'd first encountered it. I was wearing eye blinders and had thought that if I couldn't do it in Photoshop, fuck it. I wouldn't use it and it was probably shit. But jokes on me, I'm the clown here. I watched his video, saw how the interface looked from another perspective and found that I was just an idiot before and hadn't actually given the tool a proper try. Thus, I decided to do so.

I fiddled around with the free version for maybe twenty minutes. The landmass tool was smooth. It was a bit rough in terms of visual impact and I actually found it hard to visualize what I wanted when I was freehanding it. However, once I pulled up my templates and used the general shape, I found it to be significantly easier than any other technique I had utilized thus far. With a click and drag, I had my continents, islands, impact craters for one of my plot line areas, and the setup for several different regions and countries. Another ten minutes and I was able to figure out the different coloring tools for things like forests, deserts, mountains, etc. Within the two hours of my initial fiddling, I had decided to fork over the five bucks and really commit to the tool. It was far easier than anything I had ever used. It had all of the tools I needed from icons to pathings for rivers and country lines. By tapping a few buttons, I could switch up the brush and swath over land to change from forest to desert. It was so easy to do so that I ended up wasting time in the tool just to experiment with what kind of green I wanted my trees to be.

TLDR- it was easy and a brainless investment. Using the tool, I was able to turn off my brain and lean into my Creative Vision of the world for my novel. Instead of worrying about what youtube video I was going to search for next, Inkcarnate provided me with what I needed with little effort on my end. There were so many options available for me that I spent more time deciding on what I liked as if I were standing in a Lowe's trying to decide on what shade of white paint primer looked better.

But Mr. Chemist, if you liked it so much, why the 8/10 and not 10/10? Because nothing is perfect. Nor is this tool.

My only gripe is that there is no handholding in terms of creativity with this tool. The map is a clean, blue slate of water when you first open it. It doesn't give you any templates or any example landmass to work with when you generate your map. You are able to select what type of map you'll be creating at the beginning, which helps the tool adjust itself to what you're going to be making (it changes the Icon sets and a few other parameters). However, the tool does what it is made to do. It leaves the creative process entirely up to you.

For some people who struggle with that initial step and find it easier to work with an already made world/generated map, this tool may not be it for you. I was able to get the product I wanted because of the hours I put in with the other tools. The mental image I have of my world is sharp and clear. I know exactly what I want and where I want it. It takes some adjustment to put thought to paper but in the end, it comes out how I want it. If you struggle with that and everything is just a blur or not quite set right, this tool might be a bit of a double-edged knife for you. Since there's no guidance, it's easy to blank when you're staring at the blue starting map.

But, I never give problems without solutions. Doing so doesn't help. Thus, what I recommend is to simply paint. If you have an idea in your head but don't exactly know what it properly looks like, just grip the mouse and start stroking across the map. Use the tools Inkarnate gives you and just start inking out landmasses. Use the eraser/subtraction tool to adjust and you'll find yourself saying "I like that" and moving forward, or "Nah, that's not right" and making the changes. Freezing up and thinking the tool is shit because you failed on your end doesn't make the tool bad. It makes you lazy for not giving it a proper try, just like I had.

The free version of the tool has enough stuff in it to provide a "good enough" map. If you have five dollars to spare for the month, I personally don't think you will regret your purchase. But, if you're smart, I would do up your map(s) on the free version first and then make your purchase. That way you can make any and all of the maps you need rather quickly and only pay for one month.

-- J.C.

Inkarnate Map Link

Pretty sure that’s the best map making software at least for now

J_Chemist

It looks great bro
All fantasy nerds love a good map. It gets our nerdy dicks hard

But if im bein honest... you shoulda just stuck with the free version

I use the free version, to make this. Also had a bitch of a time fitting it in this message, so it only shows 3/4
Oh, I do like that. I wasn't able to get the look I wanted with the free version, as I kept clicking on the brushes/region things that had the stars on them. After seeing your map it looks like it can be done and done rather well. I'm gonna yoink that and use it as inspo when I fiddle some more with my maps.
Pretty sure that’s the best map making software at least for now
It definitely felt like it after trying practically everything else.

StrongArm

Oh, I do like that. I wasn't able to get the look I wanted with the free version, as I kept clicking on the brushes/region things that had the stars on them. After seeing your map it looks like it can be done and done rather well. I'm gonna yoink that and use it as inspo when I fiddle some more with my maps.

It definitely felt like it after trying practically everything else.
Thanks, you can get a better version of it on my novel, King of Pain. ( I cant figure out how to fit the whole map in this message format.)

If you open it in a new tab, it has a zoom feature (you should really check it out, so you can see the swamp & archipeligo that i couldnt fit here)

pro tip. for the roads, i used the smallest paint setting, and if you wanted to do a country boundary line, you can do the same thing except make a black line and paint a bunch of holes through it, making it look like a dotted line.

If you want to make it look somewhat more realistic, use the smallest & roughest settings (when you are creating land)

Last edited:

Dieter

the Writer
This is sort of a tangent but I'd recommend checking out WBC Builds for inspiration for your fantasy world. Their map being set in minecraft has a very interesting format. Like so, (might require some zooming in). I also recommend visiting their discord server, where they talk a lot about architecture.

J_Chemist

Ended up finishing up my World Map today. Got some minor things to work on I think but it turned out better than I thought. Will end up making regional maps as my story progresses to give more details to the minor areas. It's nice having a visual of what my world looks like. Before I was sort of winging it, but this should help.

J_Chemist

After doing some further research into Inkcarnate's possibilities, the different aspects of various regions, and getting a better feel for how I want my world to look, I ended up recreating the map. I scratched the original map entirely, started from scratch, and did a lot of modifications to the landmass. The overall shape is still the same- two landmasses/continents, an island cluster, and the Cradle. The rest I adjusted to better suit the roadmap for the story.

It's taking a lot more time. Significantly more, actually. My first map above took around 6 hours. I've spent almost twice that on just half of the map, if not less than half. It's wild how detailed you can get when you actually get into the nitty gritty of things. I think the map is better for it, too!

J_Chemist

Update as of today. Unsure of what I want in the top left just yet. Going down the mental list of races and "key regions". Not sure what to put up there.

Kidd_Wadsworth

-- J.C.

Inkarnate Map Link

I also used inkarnate and made a map. I've tried attaching it. You'll find it in my glossary as well.

Attachments

• Map (1).png
    Map (1).png
    637.5 KB · Views: 29

J_Chemist

Map complete. Little details to be added here and there but I think I'm content with this.

D

Deleted member 54065

Oho. I like that. Battle maps are always a treat.
I was also looking for the ones I applied some effects to make it look like 'old maps', but I guess it got deleted too when I accidentally formatted my pc.

J_Chemist

I was also looking for the ones I applied some effects to make it look like 'old maps', but I guess it got deleted too when I accidentally formatted my pc.
I relate to this greatly. I lost several chapters of a book and some DND characters/DM documents that I thought I had all backed up.

I, in fact, did not have them backed up.

D

Deleted member 54065

I relate to this greatly. I lost several chapters of a book and some DND characters/DM documents that I thought I had all backed up.

I, in fact, did not have them backed up.
For me, I lost the manuscripts good for 15 volumes of my isekai novel. Two manuscripts worth of my story, DECK. One manuscript for my other novel, Ballad of the School Hallways. Three chapters of my manga, Paulina Rex.

Also, hundreds of illustrations for all my novels (including the maps), and the chibi illustrations I did for free for the denizens of ScribbleHub and other site forum I'm included.