Reincarnated in a fantasy world: would you rather...?

Aiyoki

Couple questions I'm curious about people's oppinions/preferences for.

1) If you had your choice of what race you'd want to see the MC reincarnated as, what would it be and why?

2) Would you rather see the MC reincarnated into a fully grown body or as a newborn baby?

3) If you answered 'newborn' to #2: would you want a story that skips the "newborn" years and goes straight to teenage or adult age or would you rather the story take it slow through the MC's early years?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
1] Dragon. I love dragons too much.

I've seen several combinations of adult or newborn and childhood or skip. What I'll say is write whatever fulfills the story in a satisfying way.

2] For a dragon: newborn.
3] childhood included.
This allows for the character to aclimate and experience the world in many changing ways as they grow up from a weak baby dragon to a powerful adult.

If we skip the childhood stage we also skip many character defining moments and MC opinion formation. Probably miss a lot of relationship building.

If we go in as an adult, MC is much less likely to act as a proper dragon and make many mistakes that would otherwise have been prevented by upbringing.
However, it also means we get straight into the action more easily.

So it really depends on what ideas the story is trying to portray and what the writer actually wants to write about. Power fantasy or changing perceptions and experiences? Or something else.

J_Chemist

1. Reincarnated as one of the "undesirable" races- Goblin, Orc, or maybe as a race that's looked down upon in that specific world, like a Beastkin. Would like to see said MC be subject to a lot of segregation issues and be forced to struggle with those problems all the while trying to better himself as a fighter.

2. Depends. If he sort of "spawns" in the wild and goes from there, it would be fine. Bypasses a lot of the youth BS. But, if the author wants to really hammer in on the inequality that the MC will soon face and show the Reader the truly shitty situation the MC is about to deal with for the duration of the story, then newborn please.

3. Again, would like the slow progression. BUT, not so slow as to go year by year. Mushoku Tensei style would work. Sort of jumping through "checkpoints" and focusing on key events would definitely be fine. It's not the newborn aspect itself that I would want. It's more the establishment that the MC has lived through the terrible events and has personally experienced the racism/hate against his Race, his family, his people, etc.

ZeroSen

1) It def depends on the world, but I'd probably go with human, mostly because it's the most neutral/familiar. ig I personally prefer human mc to more easily connect with them & the world. It's fun seeing foreign races/cultures through the eyes of a human, and seeing how the world treats them back

2) i honestly really like the newborn concept.

3) I wouldn't want it to entirely skip the early years. I enjoy seeing mc interactions with others while being fully mature in a child's body, and watching them simultaneously grow into their physical body, while they also mature mentally as they spend time in a new world. But it also shouldn't focus too heavily on those first few years, like the first 1-3ish, or maybe even 1-5ish years should go by pretty quick, otherwise it'd start to drag on.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
1) here's a odd one, a golem

2) i do not know if golem have a "baby phase" maybe a orgamic machine creatue might have, i'm down to see that too.

3) yes to childhood story, i don't like to type it all out so imma just quote from here
This allows for the character to aclimate and experience the world in many changing ways as they grow up from a weak baby dragon to a powerful adult.

If we skip the childhood stage we also skip many character defining moments and MC opinion formation. Probably miss a lot of relationship building.
Well my mc isn't a dragon but you get the point

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
1) An Omnipotent God (Because why not?)
2) Newborn (I will be able to shape the world whatever I please, which will be fun)
3) Some small timeskips maybe better

AiLovesToGrow

I write silly erotica
I second the automaton race. Probably reborn newborn, but time skip. Just make sure to not fall into the traps of isekai: no OP, give the MC actual challenges, flaws. Plan out a plot that has an ending before you begin.

Le_ther

1) If you had your choice of what race you'd want to see the MC reincarnated as, what would it be and why?

2) Would you rather see the MC reincarnated into a fully grown body or as a newborn baby?

3) If you answered 'newborn' to #2: would you want a story that skips the "newborn" years and goes straight to teenage or adult age or would you rather the story take it slow through the MC's early years?
1. Human

2. Newborn

3. From the start.

Yeah, it might be boring and actually would turn you insane and quite embarrasing considering your mentality but starting from 0 means more years of life.

D

Deleted member 54065

I'm perfectly fine with him being human. Well, simply because it's my reference.
Perfectly fine with both. My only concern if he's transmigrated into a newborn body, is that the story would tend to get stretched and kinda slow to getting to the 'interesting parts'.
I think I'd be fine to have 'snippets' of his stages in life, up till the 'interesting parts'. Not only it would build an 'attachment' to the reader, it would also give a lot of potential for the author to explain the MC's choices later on the story.

TotallyHuman

Whatever the pretty anime girl in my pfp is
Can whatever the pretty anime girl in my pfp is even have stages of growth?

AzureFeather

1. Eldritch Bio-shifting horror
2. Baby
3. Fine either way

Isekai'd Shoggoth already does this, but it's the only one I've really found- Though there is a couple eldritch-god fics on RR as well.

Daitengu

1) here's a odd one, a golem

2) i do not know if golem have a "baby phase" maybe a orgamic machine creatue might have, i'm down to see that too.

3) yes to childhood story, i don't like to type it all out so imma just quote from here

Well my mc isn't a dragon but you get the point

Seconded. I've seen it only twice, but the authors both kept their human instincts and went the adventure route.

Themes I'd explore would be the change in instincts and self identity as a result of becoming a golem. Be it the old fashioned Jewish style of built golem, or the modern elemental golems.

Are they wild, or in a guardian pact/role? Would they hide in full plate and risk discovery from old thought trains and social instincts, or live the slow life in obscurity pondering life?

It's a rather varied type of creature that isn't explored.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
1. Human appearance. Absolute Lovecraftian horror underneath or when called upon.
2. Adult. A lot of the isekai's I like did start from being a baby, but I still greatly prefer an adult start.

sam9501

Reincarnated as a treant would be cool. I don’t think anyone has done that.

I think it would be interesting to see the beginning life of a treant; from a small sapling to a might defender of the forest! Young plantling would also help the mc experience the world, maybe specific factions. Their are a bunch of drama elements a writer could make about plants, especially child plants. I've thought about it a lot honestly but I can’t write to save my life.

AryaX

Succubus is definitely my favourite (the fictional type, especially the cute anime girl type, and definitely not the nightmare horror from folklore...)

But I also prefer Male to Female Gender Bender...

So...

1. It could be that the MC was a human guy who died and got reincarnated as a succubus, with all their memories, likes and dislikes, etc, intact...
(In such a case, its probably better if they start the story as an adult succubus... not sure how a childhood of such sex demon could or should be depicted...)

Or...

2. The MC could be born as a human boy, with or without any reincarnation/isekai stuff, but then get turned into a succubus later in their life...
(I would probably start such a story with a "future prologue" where the MC have just been turned into the cute succubus, and where they're
freaking out and asking: "how the hell did this happen", and then go back and show their story leading to that transformation...)

2b. The human part of the story, could begin in childhood, but either way... It shouldn't be toooooo long...

Last edited: